Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Massoccur

Massoccur

Contribution Points : 59658
Forum Reputation : 25

What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots? Empty
PostSubject: What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots?   What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 7:11 pm

I say "school shootings" to mean something planned by a juvenile (let's say 14-17). I was inspired to ask this question after seeing the "Shootings that never were" thread. I have to wonder - if a juvenile has a clearly written out plot to attack their school, what kind of criminal action should be taken in your opinion? How should the youth be punished? Does your answer depend on the age and stage of the plot (say, the difference between a 15-year-old with a plan written in his journal versus a 17-year-old that has already obtained guns and bomb-making materials)?

I'm not too well-versed in law, but I am more curious here about your personal opinions. Do you think action taken should be based upon rehabilitating the juvenile and preventing future violence, or punishing the juvenile due to the clear intention to commit mass murder? I mean this in a general sense, of course. No two cases are alike.

Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66728
Forum Reputation : 90

PostSubject: Re: What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots?   What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 pm

I think generally, if a youth has a plan and they either have the weapons or there is proof that they are attempting to obtain weapons/materials, legal action should be taken. But I think there needs to be a combination of repercussion and rehabilitation. Kids just don't think like adults, you cannot treat them as such by locking them up and throwing away the key.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193457
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots?   What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 8:07 pm

Littlelo wrote:
I think generally, if a youth has a plan and they either have the weapons or there is proof that they are attempting to obtain weapons/materials, legal action should be taken. But I think there needs to be a combination of repercussion and rehabilitation. Kids just don't think like adults, you cannot treat them as such by locking them up and throwing away the key.

I agree.

Does anyone know if Erik V got an jail time from his threats? I know his bail was really high, like $250,000

AmyistWarrior likes this post

Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots?   What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Littlelo wrote:

I agree.

Does anyone know if Erik V got an jail time from his threats? I know his bail was really high, like $250,000

Not sure how things ended for him but he was charged as a juvenile. Bond was $500k.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots?   What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Littlelo wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
Littlelo wrote:

I agree.

Not sure how things ended for him but he was charged as a juvenile. Bond was $500k.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks for that info.

If it is the same Erik Veik that I stumbled upon he got his degree and works as a lighting designer for various theatres around the world and if I may jump into the shallow end again, is pretty freaking handsome too.
Back to top Go down
Ainjel

Ainjel

Contribution Points : 66083
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots?   What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 am

So here’s the thing about rehabilitation.  John Zawahri was a supposed “rehabilitated shooting planner” who went out and performed a mass shooting regardless of his time spent in rehabilitation.  He had planned to attack his school but after that was thwarted, he attacked multiple targets around Santa Monica. So will rehabilitation work? This may be an area where it works for some but not others.  As far as I know, Eric V. has not been in trouble with the law so he may be a good case for rehabilitation.  The two boys who committed the Westside Middle School shooting would also be a bad case for rehabilitation.  While I am unsure if they had to undergo any counseling while incarcerated, both have had legal trouble since being released.  Both were busted on gun charges; one was an attempt to obtain a gun when he was busted for using a fake name in an attempt to obtain a concealed weapon permit and the other was busted for having a gun along with marijuana.  I think it would be tough to determine who might benefit from rehabilitation.  However, if these kids are going to be put back out into society, something needs to be done to protect the general public.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots?   What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 4:15 am

And also if you want to look at rehabilitation. Eric and Dylan went to diversion and got out early. Dylan had extreme contempt for everyone in the class yet only two people from that the diversion program went on to commit a massacre

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots?   What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 1:41 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
And also if you want to look at rehabilitation. Eric and Dylan went to diversion and got out early. Dylan had extreme contempt for everyone in the class yet only two people from that the diversion program went on to commit a massacre

Yeah, as I was reading Ainjel's post I thought about that. I guess some kids can remain motivated and lie to whoever they need to lie to in order to appear "cured".

I guess there needs to be more follow-up so that the system can't just wipe their hands of a juvenile once they are deemed "rehabilitated".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots?   What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What should the punishment be for foiled school shooting plots?
Page 1 of 1