Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

April 20,2018 walk out

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 75922

PostSubject: April 20,2018 walk out    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:37 am

Darn  allergies. My eyes are watering.

On Twitter I guess high school students all across the country are trying to plan a walk out on April 20. I need get more details I just saw it  on my Facebook feed.

But the researcher in me wants to tell them that the shooting started actually around 11:18  or so. But I like the significance of 11 AM Colorado time.

It’s irony though that students currently at Columbine can’t walk out of class because it’s closed on 4/20 for a day of mourning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
STK
Top Contributor

Contribution Points : 20571

PostSubject: Re: April 20,2018 walk out    Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:09 pm

Stoners all over the nation must be excited.

View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 37194

PostSubject: Re: April 20,2018 walk out    Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:19 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Stoners all over the nation must be excited.

This way when they don't show up to class they can claim this an excuse.

View user profile
Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 46186

PostSubject: Re: April 20,2018 walk out    Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:05 pm

It’s irony though that students currently  at  Columbine can’t walk out of class because it’s closed on 4/20 for a day of mourning.

Do we know this for sure now? I heard that classes were rumoured to be on this year.

I think it’s a bad idea to have it at that time if they are thinking of doing it at Columbine. You are going to have families of victims and other mourners trying to remember them that morning at nearby memorials. I expect the majority of them just want a quiet day to remember - not swarming with media like on the day of the massacre. You could guarantee some media would be there to watch the kids march from Columbine to wherever it is they are planning on going.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: April 20,2018 walk out    Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:18 pm

It’s irony though that students currently  at  Columbine can’t walk out of class because it’s closed on 4/20 for a day of mourning.

Do we know this for sure now? I heard that classes were rumoured to be on this year.

I think it’s a bad idea to have it at that time if they are thinking of doing it at Columbine. You are going to have families of victims and other mourners trying to remember them that morning at nearby memorials. I expect the majority of them just want a quiet day to remember - not swarming with media like on the day of the massacre. You could guarantee some media would be there to watch the kids march from Columbine to wherever it is they are planning on going.

I don't know for certain, just an assumption.

I agree with you on that one. It would be like opening old wounds again. They are trying to mourn and the media is like "hey guys! Care to share how sad you are?'
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 46186

PostSubject: Re: April 20,2018 walk out    Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:24 pm

I don't know for certain, just an assumption.

I agree with you on that one. It would be like opening old wounds again. They are trying to mourn and the media is like "hey guys! Care to share how sad you are?'

I expect most, if not all, families would support it and perhaps do the media side of things - on any day but the one they have chosen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: April 20,2018 walk out    Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:30 pm

I can understand why people chose that date though. However I think if the media comes and tries to bother people they won't be met with happiness.

myshame

Contribution Points : 19040

PostSubject: Re: April 20,2018 walk out    Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 am

I've heard that some are planning to boycott school until gun laws are changed. I think it's a good cause.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 75865

PostSubject: Re: April 20,2018 walk out    Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:58 am

A good cause yes, but honestly I think this will likely cause more problems and have very little to no effect on the reason for the boycott/walkouts.

''I have been astonished that men could die martyrs for religion—I have shuddered at it. I shudder no more—I could be martyred for my religion—Love is my religion—I could die for that.''                                                                                                                                      
                                                        -John Keats (1795-1821)

“Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.”

- Anaïs Nin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
REBdoomer1999

Contribution Points : 15032

PostSubject: Re: April 20,2018 walk out    Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:30 am

I think it's a good cause.
I don't know about that. My guns never hurt anyone.

ShadowedGoddess
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 75865

PostSubject: Re: April 20,2018 walk out    Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:33 am

I think it's a good cause.
I don't know about that. My guns never hurt anyone.

While true for the majority of responsible gun owners(myself included) you have to admit that something needs to change.

''I have been astonished that men could die martyrs for religion—I have shuddered at it. I shudder no more—I could be martyred for my religion—Love is my religion—I could die for that.''                                                                                                                                      
                                                        -John Keats (1795-1821)

“Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.”

- Anaïs Nin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
REBdoomer1999

Contribution Points : 15032

PostSubject: Re: April 20,2018 walk out    Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:37 am

Yes, something needs to change. But what that is exactly, I have no idea. I think violence has a lot more to do with American culture than the prevalence of firearms. Switzerland for example has a relatively high gun ownership rate, at almost a quarter of their population, and they don't seem to be nearly as violent of a nation as the United States.

Ivan

Contribution Points : 59142

PostSubject: Re: April 20,2018 walk out    Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:29 pm

It's mentality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

April 20,2018 walk out
Page 1 of 1