Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Depression + narcissistic disorder

Go down 
+2
munchkinphone
Lizpuff
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Depression + narcissistic disorder  Empty
PostSubject: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2018 10:51 am

After i occupy myself with the journals of D and E and after I have read a lot of topics about various mental disorders, I would conclude that BOTH (D and E) had not just a depression but also a narcisstic disorder. Because a killing spree would not just come from an depression disorder alone. I mean, there are a many people out there with a depression disorder but the majority of them would not go to get „amok“.
One of the cardinal symptom of an narcisstic disorder is the very famous „God complex“.....yes the journals....you know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96449
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Have you ever read Langman?

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Oh I just saw not everything I wrote was posted.....

No but I just googled him. Smile Did you mean Dr. Peter Langman the psychologist?
Back to top Go down
munchkinphone

Contribution Points : 64114
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2018 1:59 pm

I wonder if their narcissism was a product of their alienation or if it started developing before.

It doesn't seem to be there when Eric lived in plattsburgh.

I wonder this because I find it hard to tell whether all these psychological diagnoses are really or should really be labeled onto people if the criteria of them is only met under very specific circumstances.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193507
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2018 2:16 pm

munchkinphone wrote:
I wonder if their narcissism was a product of their alienation or if it started developing before.

I wonder this because I find it hard to tell whether all these psychological diagnoses are really or should really be labeled onto people if the criteria of them is only met under very specific circumstances.

I think it could. If you keep feeling and being told how different you are for so long you can start feeling like scum or feel superior, different and much more special.

Possible unpopular opinion. I think Dylan pumped up Eric’s narcissism.

Who started talking about self awareness first? Dylan, who started talking about being godlike first? .Dylan
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2018 3:04 pm

AIR wrote:
Oh I just saw not everything I wrote was posted.....

No but I just googled him. Smile Did you mean Dr. Peter Langman the psychologist?

I did. I was wondering your stance on what he thinks. You should take a look at his website and workups on Columbine.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2018 5:28 pm

I don't think Eric had depression in the traditional sense. Dylan maybe, but I'm not sure. After all, suicidal tendencies are not born from depression alone.

Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 8:36 am

QuestionMark wrote:
I don't think Eric had depression in the traditional sense. Dylan maybe, but I'm not sure. After all, suicidal tendencies are not born from depression alone.

I do think Eric had some depression. I think it was over shadowed by some of his other feelings but I think he hated the way he looked and how he was treated and longed for better. I think his anger was a secondary emotion caused by being very sad

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 9:05 am

I agree with Lizpuff. I think Eric was suffering from depression. He just chose to express/hide it mostly with anger.  Although some of his journal entries towards the end showed his true sadness.

I know I'm probably not the only one here who thinks the "we are Gods" thing was mainly trumped up to help them both mask just how inferior they actually felt.

From their view point it was better to pretend to be Gods in control of everything, then be just another loser lost in the crowd that had very little control over their own life.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
I think it was over shadowed by some of his other feelings but I think he hated the way he looked and how he was treated and longed for better. 

I agree with you on this but I have to disagree that what you're describing is depression.

Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 12:28 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
I think it was over shadowed by some of his other feelings but I think he hated the way he looked and how he was treated and longed for better. 

I agree with you on this but I have to disagree that what you're describing is depression.

IDK Eric seemed very angry and my whole thinking is just that it was a result of him feeling inadequate, scared, vulnerable, sad, frustration and multiple other emotions he didn't want to show bc he didnt want to seem weak.

I think a lot of seemingly very angry people are depressed. Depression isn't all "oh I want to kill myself bc I am so sad" Some may think that but there are many different kinds and many different ways to show depression

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 1:12 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

IDK  Eric seemed very angry and my whole thinking is just that it was a result of him feeling inadequate, scared, vulnerable, sad, frustration and multiple other emotions he didn't want to show bc he didnt want to seem weak.  

I think a lot of seemingly very angry people are depressed.  Depression isn't all "oh I want to kill myself bc I am so sad"  Some may think that but there are many different kinds and many different ways to show depression

Agreed. Dylan was the "oh I want to kill myself SO bad right now" lamenting type, while Eric was likely more of the drown the feelings in rage type.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193507
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 1:16 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

IDK  Eric seemed very angry and my whole thinking is just that it was a result of him feeling inadequate, scared, vulnerable, sad, frustration and multiple other emotions he didn't want to show bc he didnt want to seem weak.  

I think a lot of seemingly very angry people are depressed.  Depression isn't all "oh I want to kill myself bc I am so sad"  Some may think that but there are many different kinds and many different ways to show depression

Agreed. Dylan was the "oh I want to kill myself SO bad right now" lamenting type, while Eric was likely more of the drown the feelings in rage type.

I think people don’t want to look at what’s the uglier and more dangerous side of mental illness. It’s not stigmatizing it if we look at the fact that it can manifest in different ways. Let me to paraphrase Sue she said depressed teenagers would be a lot easier to deal with if they looked like the kids in the pamphlet. Just wistful looking kids who are like “I’m really sad.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 1:25 pm

I agree with Lizpuff. There are not just that stereotype of depression that is mainly named (in the media). I would suggest, Dylan was that kind of depressed stereotype kid. But I thing also Erics aggressions are justified of his unsatisfied needs. He wanted to perceived as „a real man“. And in his mind that means also don’t show weakness be strong. Expecially when your dad is a member of Air Force, which is the cliched type of „being a man“.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: I just bought the book of Langman, thanks for the mention!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

I think people don’t want to look at what’s the uglier and more dangerous side of mental illness. It’s not stigmatizing  it if we look at the fact that it can manifest in different ways. Let me to paraphrase Sue she said depressed teenagers would be a lot easier to deal with if they looked like the kids in the pamphlet. Just wistful looking kids who are like “I’m really sad.”

Very true. Sadly a lot of people struggling with depression are the people who you would least expect it from. They are the ones who seem like they have their shit together, all their ducks swimming in a neat row, etc. But really they are just like the rest of us barely holding it together. Although some are more skilled at hiding it then others. Dylan was a prime example of that.

Hell my ducks aren't even in the same pond, much less swimming together. Haha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 1:32 pm

I also want to refer, that a psychologial dissorder seldom comes alone. Mostly its an interaction of various.

PS: Sorry for my bad english!
Back to top Go down
munchkinphone

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
munchkinphone wrote:

I think it could. If you keep feeling and being told how different you are for so long you can start feeling like scum or feel superior, different and much more special.

Possible unpopular opinion. I think Dylan pumped up Eric’s narcissism.

Who started talking about self awareness first? Dylan, who started talking about being godlike first? .Dylan

I feel like Dylan fed his own depression because after a while he saw it as a strength to not care about anything. I feel like Eric instead always had contempt towards his depression and projected his negative emotions onto others to get rid of it.

I think to Eric Dylan appeared confident in his negative emotions and Eric wanted to have that confidence as well. So yeah, I agree that Dylan pumped up Eric's narcissism.. the question is whether he did it consciously or not scratch

Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 1:42 pm

AIR wrote:
I agree with Lizpuff. There are not just that stereotype of depression that is mainly named (in the media). I would suggest, Dylan was that kind of depressed stereotype kid. But I thing also  Erics aggressions are justified of his unsatisfied needs. He wanted to perceived as „a real man“. And in his mind that means also don’t show weakness be strong. Expecially when your dad is a member of Air Force, which is the cliched type of „being a man“.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: I just bought the book of Langman, thanks for the mention!

I hope you enjoy it. Depending on which copy you bought, there are many things you can learn

Ericishuman

Contribution Points : 60249

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Symptoms of agitated depression include:

extreme irritability, like snapping at friends and family, or being annoyed at small things
anger
agitation
fidgeting
racing thoughts and incessant talking
restlessness
pacing
hand-wringing
nail-biting
outbursts of complaining or shouting
pulling at clothes or hair
picking at skin
Back to top Go down
munchkinphone

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Ericishuman wrote:
Symptoms of agitated depression include:

extreme irritability, like snapping at friends and family, or being annoyed at small things
anger
agitation
fidgeting
racing thoughts and incessant talking
restlessness
pacing
hand-wringing
nail-biting
outbursts of complaining or shouting
pulling at clothes or hair
picking at skin

Did you get this from some real kind of diagnose or did you just watch Eric in columbine and observe his behaviour? Cool
Back to top Go down
Ericishuman

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 3:59 pm

I got this from the internet. It's a real diagnosis
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Ericishuman wrote:

theres like 10 other disorders with very similar symptoms, i doubt he has that
Back to top Go down
Ericishuman

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Well that's my opinion
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Ericishuman wrote:

scratch

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 10:45 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Ericishuman wrote:

scratch

according to webMD i have brain cancer

dont take what you read on the internet seriously kids
Back to top Go down
Ericishuman

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 1:59 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] So I won't take anything you say seriously from now on. I have that kind of depression myself!! Not all depression looks the fucking same.
Back to top Go down
Ericishuman

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] please stop replying to my posts. I don't want anything to do with you
Back to top Go down
Ericishuman

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 2:07 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Article on various types of depression

Last edited by Ericishuman on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ericishuman

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 2:10 am

I thought we are ALL allowed to have an opinion on what was wrong with the boys? Or is there some unspoken rule on this
Forum that only some people can have opinions? Please tell me so I can immediately delete my account
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Ericishuman wrote:
I thought we are ALL allowed to have an opinion on what was wrong with the  boys? Or is there some unspoken rule on this
Forum that only some people can have opinions? Please tell me so I can immediately delete my account

lmao calm down dude.

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 2:41 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Ericishuman wrote:
I thought we are ALL allowed to have an opinion on what was wrong with the  boys? Or is there some unspoken rule on this

lmao calm down dude.

Yeah for real, fucking calm down. From what I saw man you were the one making the issue, you don't gotta get shitty over it though.
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 83717
Forum Reputation : 698

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Population Control wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
Ericishuman wrote:
lmao calm down dude.
Yeah for real, fucking calm down. From what I saw man you were the one making the issue, you don't gotta get shitty over it though.
He tried to add to the discussion. I can understand why he didn't appreciate being mocked even if threatening to delete his account in response was extreme.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 3:25 pm

sscc wrote:
He tried to add to the discussion. I can understand why he didn't appreciate being mocked even if threatening to delete his account in response was extreme.

I can understand if he doesn't want to be made fun of but he had a meltdown over a minor disagreement.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Depression + narcissistic disorder    Depression + narcissistic disorder  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Depression + narcissistic disorder
Page 1 of 1