Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family. Empty
PostSubject: Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family.   Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 12:35 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A Parkland high school student who was shot five times while protecting his classmates by alleged gunman Nikolas Cruz has filed a lawsuit against the 19-year-old suspect, the family that took him in, the estate of his deceased mother and several mental heath facilities.

On Tuesday, Royer Borges and Emely Delfin, Borges' parents, filed a suit in a Broward County court on Tuesday on their son's behalf, seeking a jury trial for "damages in excess of $15,000.00, exclusive of interest, costs, and attorney's fees," among other damages.

The suit names Cruz, foster parents James and Kimberly Snead, Henderson Behavioral Health, Inc., Jerome Golden Center for Behavioral Health, Inc., South County Mental Health Center, Inc., and the estate of biological mother Lynda Cruz, as defendants in the case.

"This is the poster child for everything going wrong," Borges' family attorney Alex Arreaza told the "Today" show earlier this month.

The suit also claims that Henderson Behavioral Health, Inc., was negligent in its duties after it gave Cruz a psychiatric evaluation in 2016 and determined he did not require hospitalization because he "'was not a risk to harm himself or anyone else' because he was on a treatment plan for ADHD, depression, and autism."

Additionally, the suit claims that Jerome Golden Center for Behavioral Health, Inc., and South County Mental Health Center, Inc., "knew or should have known" that Cruz "suffered from mental illness and was a threat to others."

The three mental health facilities named in the suit did not immediately respond to NBC News' request for comment.

The suit goes on to claim the final defendant, the estate of Cruz's mother Lynda Cruz, who died in November 2017, should be held accountable due to her repeated reports of her son's violent behavior. It goes on to say that Lynda Cruz "owed a duty to the public" to obtain a "proper diagnosis and treatment" for her son and to prevent him from obtaining weapons.

I don't fully agree with the last part. No doubt Anthony Borges has every right to go after the Cruz estate. BUT his attorney is a ass to try and downplay the efforts Lynda Cruz made in seeking help for her sons. It is well documented that she tried repeatedly to get help for Nikolas, taking him to various counselors, trying to make sure he took his meds, etc.  She did all she was capable of doing to try to get him the help he needed.  Sad
Back to top Go down
W.A.R.

Contribution Points : 70873
Forum Reputation : 345

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family.   Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Its wrong to say she failed to prevent him from obtaining weapons seeing as he didn't buy them until after she passed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family.   Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 1:29 pm

W.A.R. wrote:
Its wrong to say she failed to prevent him from obtaining weapons seeing as he didn't buy them until after she passed.

To my knowledge when he supposedly bought the guns are not known. The reports say he had likely bought them within the last year. scratch

If you have any links/documents etc. that show a real time line, I would be very interested in seeing it. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family.   Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 2:02 pm

I never get why they go after the families.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family.   Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 2:11 pm

Population Control wrote:

In most cases it's not so much going after the families themselves as much as it is going after the financial assets.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120928
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family.   Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Population Control wrote:

Greed, anger, frustration. Pick whichever one you think is the most applicable.

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family.   Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 pm

I think for that guy, probably mostly greed.
Back to top Go down
W.A.R.

Contribution Points : 70873
Forum Reputation : 345

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family.   Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 2:33 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
To my knowledge when he supposedly bought the guns are not known. The reports say he had likely bought them within the last year.  scratch

If you have any links/documents etc. that show a real time line, I would be very interested in seeing it.  Very Happy

I was going off the FBI call in January where the tipster said that Cruz had took money from his mothers account to buy rifles and ammunition. I was assuming this was after she had passed.

But apparently Cruz purchased the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 rifle in February 2017.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family.   Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 2:39 pm

W.A.R. wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
To my knowledge when he supposedly bought the guns are not known. The reports say he had likely bought them within the last year.  scratch

If you have any links/documents etc. that show a real time line, I would be very interested in seeing it.  Very Happy

I was going off the FBI call in January where the tipster said that Cruz had took money from his mothers account to buy rifles and ammunition. I was assuming this was after she had passed.

But apparently Cruz purchased the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 rifle in February 2017.

Most reports didn't give a date as to when he bought anything, only stating that it was within the past year or so. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family.   Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anthony Borges files suit against alleged gunman, family.
Page 1 of 1