Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Empty
PostSubject: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 6:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Broward County Sheriff’s Office deputies hid outside of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School while a gunman went on a shooting rampage inside, according to a Coral Springs Police report released Tuesday.

One unnamed deputy even thought he knew where inside the school the shooter was, but remained outside the building, according to the report obtained by the Miami Herald.

The information sheds new light on the police response to the worst school shooting in Florida history — deemed botched after school resource officer Scot Peterson never entered the freshman building where gunman Nikolas Cruz killed 17 people.

“As I was advancing on foot through the chain-link fence, I was advised by an unknown BSO Deputy taking cover behind a tree, ‘he is on the third floor,” wrote Coral Springs officer Bryan Wilkins.

BSO deputies didn’t immediately try to locate Cruz or aid his victims, despite being trained to to confront active shooters without delay, the report said, the Miami Herald reported.

At least three other BSO deputies were on the scene as gunshots rang out, but couldn’t pinpoint the shooter’s location.

Broward Sheriff Scott Israel condemned Peterson’s response to the shooting, saying he was “sick to my stomach” the deputy didn’t enter the building.

Wilkins described the scene at which he arrived.

“I saw approximately four Broward County Sheriff’s Office vehicles parked [on the road outside the school] ... with their personnel taking up exterior positions behind their vehicles,” Wilkins said, according to the Miami Herald. “I drove up just west of the campus building 1200, exited my vehicle, grabbed my AR-15 rifle and donned on my tactical/medical gear,” he wrote in the report.

There he encountered the BSO deputy taking cover behind a tree who had a sense of the shooter’s location.

Wilkins then approached the building with Coral Springs Detective Gil Monzon and an “unknown BSO deputy.”

They found bullet holes in the building’s windows and doors.

Cruz had fled the building by the time they entered, leaving dead bodies in his wake.

“The corridor was smoky and smelled of gunpowder and blood,” Wilkins wrote in his report.

Peterson, who resigned, remains the subject of a pending internal affairs investigation.

This really is turning out to be a modern day Columbine.  Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by ShadowedGoddess on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120378
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 6:47 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
This really is turning out to be a modern day Columbine.  Shocked Evil or Very Mad

I wonder how bad it's going to be when the police fuck up this bad a third time.

PostSubject: Re: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 am

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

I wonder how bad it's going to be when the police fuck up this bad a third time.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  To be honest I'd rather not think about it. Sad

BUT in my opinion the only way this could get any worse would be if the police showed up on scene and started actively helping the shooter kill other kids, instead of just passively allowing the killer to continue unhindered.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 5:40 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
BUT in my opinion the only way this could get any worse would be if the police showed up on scene and started actively helping the shooter kill other kids, instead of just passively allowing the killer to continue unhindered.

Technically it's not impossible; they could accidentally shoot the kids.

PostSubject: Re: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 5:42 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

True. Nothing is really impossible considering the shit that has been happening recently. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 5:55 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

True. Nothing is really impossible considering the shit that has been happening recently. Evil or Very Mad

Well allegedly such a situation already happened in Columbia.

PostSubject: Re: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2018 11:47 am

A father whose daughter was killed in the Feb. 14 mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against not only the accused gunman, but the school resource officer who stayed outside while the rampage took place.

In his suit filed Monday in Broward Circuit Court, Andrew Pollack names Scot Peterson, the armed sheriff's deputy assigned to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, as a defendant.

"I want to expose that coward so bad," Pollack tweeted of Peterson, who resigned amid an investigation into the shooting. "Where ever he goes I want people to recognize him and say that's one of the cowards of Broward. The SRO that let those children and teachers die on the 3rd floor!"

The suit asks for a jury trial and unspecified damages. Pollack, whose daughter Meadow died in the shooting, also tweeted that it "has nothing to do with money."

A week after the massacre, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel confirmed that Peterson was outside the school for upwards of four minutes and while armed, never engaged.

Peterson should have "addressed the killer, killed the killer," Israel said at a news conference.

An attorney for Peterson could not immediately be reached for comment Tuesday, but has previously said that "allegations that Mr. Peterson was a coward and that his performance, under the circumstances, failed to meet the standards of police officers are patently untrue."

I never doubted Peterson would become one of the prime targets in this. Although I hope he isn't used as a scapegoat for the entire police department.  He wasn't the ONLY one who didn't rush in and engage Cruz that day. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2018 12:20 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
I never doubted Peterson would become one of the prime targets in this. Although I hope he isn't used as a scapegoat for the entire police department.  He wasn't the ONLY one who didn't rush in and engage Cruz that day. Evil or Very Mad

Oh indeed. Those officers were criminally negligent.

AnimeXd

AnimeXd

Contribution Points : 55024
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2018 4:57 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Warren v DC has some basis here
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2018 5:00 pm

AnimeXd wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Warren v  DC has some basis here

I'm just wondering how much additional shit will be dug up during all this? scratch What we already know is bad enough. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 1:43 pm

The disgraced Florida sheriff’s deputy who stayed outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School as a killer stalked its halls has spent the 90 days since the massacre wondering why he failed to save lives, according to a report.

“It’s haunting,” Scot Peterson said in a Washington Post report published Monday. “I’ve cut that day up a thousand ways with a million different what-if scenarios, but the bottom line is I was there to protect, and I lost 17.”

Since the Valentine’s Day attack at the Parkland school — where 17 people were killed and 17 more injured — Peterson has lost his job with the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, been dubbed the “Coward of Broward” in local media and been served with a lawsuit from a parent whose daughter died in the shooting.

According to the newspaper, he now spends most of his days hiding in the duplex he shares with his girlfriend, armed with a motion detector and a sheet covering his front door, replaying every minute of the shooting.

He’s rewatched surveillance footage, read witness statements and studied dozens of pages of documents, trying to figure out what happened.

“There wasn’t even time to think,” Peterson recalled. “It just happened and I started reacting.”

Prior to the shooting, the former school resource officer mostly chased down stolen cellphones, confiscated weed and broke up the occasional fight. He’d previously worked as a corrections officer and as a road officer arriving at the scenes of fatal crashes.

Peterson had gone to annual conferences about school shootings, taken a class on confronting active shooters and led lockdown trainings for teachers — but in the moment, he didn’t know how to react.

As the lone deputy at the school, he had been armed and on duty the day Nikolas Cruz walked in with an AR-15 and allegedly opened fire on his classmates and teachers.

That day, a “possible firecracker” call came in through the radio at 2:21 p.m. from a school security guard.

When Peterson approached the building the firecrackers were supposedly coming from, he heard what sounded more like two gunshots and cleared the area. He also called in a “Code Red” to lock down the school and picked up his police radio at 2:23 p.m. to call in a possible shooter.

He remembers staying in place because he didn’t want to expose himself — as he didn’t know where the shots were coming from or if a sniper was lurking nearby.

The 911 calls from students explaining where they and the gunman were had been routed to the Coral Springs Police Department, whose officers weren’t yet on the scene.

Already six minutes into the massacre, the last victim had been shot and Peterson and some fellow officers were still trying to figure out where the gunman was.

Cruz had dropped his gun near a stairwell and then headed out of the building, blending in with the crowd of frantic students.

Peterson had met Cruz before, once telling him he couldn’t wear a backpack printed with Nazi and racist symbols and even suggesting that counselors used Florida’s Baker Act to have the future school shooter involuntarily committed.

“I couldn’t get him,” Peterson remembered telling his girlfriend that day. “It was my job, and I didn’t find him.”

Peterson wonders why he only heard two shots — of the more than 150 rounds fired — and whether he would have been able to locate the shooter if he’d heard more.

“I was right outside. I could have come in over here,” he said, as he watched an animation of the crime scene on his computer. “I could have got him while he was reloading. If I’d just heard more shots, maybe I would have known where they were coming from.”

“It was all so fast,” he said. “I couldn’t piece it all together.”

Even after all the rehashing, Peterson still can’t answer the question: “Why didn’t I go in?”

I'm sure a lot of people want the answer to that question. No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2018 10:39 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates   Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deputies hid outside Parkland school while Cruz fired shots. + Updates
Page 1 of 1