Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Empty
PostSubject: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 3:44 am

If a mass shooter only killed themselves instead of kill others, how would you react to them? would you still be interested in them? would you still research them? I know with the older ones, most would be forgotten, but because of the internet, others can upload their images, writings, etc. before taking their own lives.

If that was the case, i would still be interested in what they had to say and i much prefer someone such as Randy Stair kill themselves than kill others (IF there's no way you can make them continue living, which i doubt you could with randy).
Back to top Go down
Jollyhelpful

Jollyhelpful

Contribution Points : 66369
Forum Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 3:53 am

by definition they wouldn't be a mass shooter, they would just be another suicide. Although I do wonder how people would talk about Randy on here if he still made his tapes but instead just killed himself.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 3:56 am

Jollyhelpful wrote:
by definition they wouldn't be a mass shooter, they would just be another suicide. Although I do wonder how people  would talk about Randy on here if he still made his tapes but instead just killed himself.

I know, but what i meant was what if someone who already committed a mass shooting just killed them self instead, would you be interested in them? That's what i would've titled it, but i was limited on characters. (i hope that didn't sound like i'm yelling at you or being mean because i'm not mad at you)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 8:50 am

Sadly it seems that people have to do something horrible to be talked about. Suicide is a tragedy, but only for the family. Except in a very few case (for example Amanda Todd), even when the suicide represents a bigger issue in society such as bullying, I have the impression that people don't really care.

I would personally not search about it because what I am interested in is to see how normal people, especially teenagers, could become killers, so not only killers of themselves.
Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

Contribution Points : 92192
Forum Reputation : 575

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 am

Nobody cares if a person commits suicide, but they do care if that person takes a few others with them.

NEXT STEP UP and anna444 like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 11:22 am

Tommy QTR wrote:
Nobody cares if a person commits suicide, but they do care if that person takes a few others with them.

I wouldn't say "Nobody" cares. As Neah stated it would still be a tragedy, just on a much smaller scale. A suicide would for the most part only effect a small number of people, such as close family/friends/Bf or Gf/husband or wife/kids, etc. But the effect would be devastating all the same. No

I do agree that most don't pay attention to hearing that someone committed suicide unless it effects them personally.

Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

Contribution Points : 92192
Forum Reputation : 575

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 11:24 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

I wouldn't say "Nobody" cares. As Neah stated it would still be a tragedy, just on a much smaller scale. A suicide would for the most part only effect a small number of people, such as close family/friends/Bf or Gf/husband or wife/kids, etc. But the effect would be devastating all the same.  No

I do agree that most don't pay attention to hearing that someone committed suicide unless it effects them personally.  

Yeah what I meant is that a person committing suicide won't make national news, a mass shooting would.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 11:27 am

Tommy QTR wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

I wouldn't say "Nobody" cares. As Neah stated it would still be a tragedy, just on a much smaller scale. A suicide would for the most part only effect a small number of people, such as close family/friends/Bf or Gf/husband or wife/kids, etc. But the effect would be devastating all the same.  No

Yeah what I meant is that a person committing suicide won't make national news, a mass shooting would.

Agreed. A suicide rarely makes the local news anymore, much less the big time media outlets.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193482
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 11:46 am

I do sometimes wonder if Dylan just shot himself in the cafeteria without hurting anyone what the coverage and narrative would be?

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 12:59 pm

It is weird how suicide became an everyday life tragedy. Sometimes when I thinks about the notions of depression and suicide, I think that for the person who suffers it is the only thing he thinks about, it is something huge for him to the point that he could kill himself. And yet it is something huge only for him, because many people are in the same situation and each of them live this as a tragedy alone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Neah wrote:
It is weird how suicide became an everyday life tragedy. Sometimes when I thinks about the notions of depression and suicide, I think that for the person who suffers it is the only thing he thinks about, it is something huge for him to the point that he could kill himself. And yet it is something huge only for him, because many people are in the same situation and each of them live this as a tragedy alone.

Honestly most murder/suicides don't even make waves anymore. Especially if it is domestic related. I mean you could have a parent kill their kids and their husband/wife and IF it does make the news, they say it was a "Domestic" attack.

Like that explains why someone could do that type of thing. No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
I do sometimes wonder if Dylan just shot himself in the cafeteria without hurting anyone what the coverage and narrative would be?

There's a time when at a local high school in my city, some kid shot himself in front of a classroom with a rifle (reminds me alot of the Pearl Jam song Jeremy) during the winter time. There's video of students evacuating in the snow. Our city discusses suicide prevention every month (i think August or September they do monthly discussion of suicide prevention) and they discuss that suicide sometimes. They usually interview the parents and show one or two friends discussing the person.

With Dylan, they probably would've done the same with him, made it into a local news story and mention it once in a while when discussing suicide (depending on the news station, they operate differently than others, so does mine. I don't watch Colorado news stations 'cuz i don't live there, so i don't know if they do discuss suicide prevention or not).

I'm curious if the school would've made a plaque with his name on it? i think the school did that with the boy who killed himself in the classroom at the local school.

If i'm wrong about my argument, correct me.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 6:21 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

Agreed. A suicide rarely makes the local news anymore, much less the big time media outlets.

Granted suicide has been around for eons and is a surprisingly common form of death (even more common than murder). Mass murder is very unusual and does not happen as often as suicide. 

Plus, the more people that die, obviously, the more people are affected by it.

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Becoming An Hero on your own just seems boring......... king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Ziamber II wrote:
Becoming An Hero on your own just seems boring......... king

Agreed, it doesn't make for an interesting story unlike mass murder.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 8:22 pm

And if your gonna an hero, you might as well try and high score, like the columbine shooters tried to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?   How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How would you feel if a mass shooter only commited suicide instead?
Page 1 of 1