Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dylan's glasses

Go down 
+2
Screamingophelia
Lizpuff
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Just some random thoughts regarding Dylan's glasses.

We know he had prescription glasses. I'm guessing/assuming he required them to see close up rather than far away. The reason I think this is because we see him wearing them when working stage productions in that one video, the photo when he was at Devon's party, at one picture at a family dinner. So that leads me to believe he'd wear them when he was socializing to see faces close up better and when doing the close up theater production stuff.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

They are pretty big glasses. They are probably what would be jokingly referred to today as "pedo glasses". I think in those photos they're all the same pair. The dinner ones look more circular, but I think that may just be the angle.

Anyway, leading from that thought, I was wondering about Dylan's sunglasses. The ones that apparently cost $200/300. He seemed to wear those quite a lot. They cost quite a bit as well. As far as I can tell, Dylan didn't seem the kind of person to spend a whole lot on clothes (except maybe his trenchcoats, those probably cost about $200/$300 as well I'd guess). But paying that much for a coat and paying that much for glasses are very different things in my mind.

So I've always kind of thought, although I've no evidence to back up this speculation, that his sunglasses were in fact a prescription pair, that maybe the lenses were designed so he could see up close without the need of those big, kinda dorky looking glasses (don't get me wrong, I think they are somewhat adorable on Dylan, but I sure as hell wouldn't wear 'em). Plus he got to have the 90's cool-sunglasses-dude aesthetic.

As far as I know, Eric didn't need to wear glasses, although there was that one photo of him and two other friends from middle school wearing big, dorky glasses, I think that was just as a joke and the only photo of Eric in prescription-looking glasses.

Eric very often wore his sunglasses, just as Dylan did. Another instance or Eric supposedly copying Dylan? Or the other way around? Maybe Eric took to wearing backwards baseball caps just like Dylan did? Although backwards caps and glasses aren't exactly that unique, especially in the 90s, it'd be interesting to know who started wearing them first out of the two.

Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96149
Forum Reputation : 1190

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 4:13 pm

I have heard both ways but more often hear that Eric was the one copying Dylan and that Dylan hated it.

joebox97

joebox97

Contribution Points : 69050
Forum Reputation : 255

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 4:44 pm

Growing up in the 90's backwards hats were on the rage and were considered "cool" so even if one copied the other, neither of them were out of place for that era
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193207
Forum Reputation : 1317

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
I have heard both ways but more often hear that Eric was the one copying Dylan and that Dylan hated it.

That’s what I heard too. But I get the feeling that maybe Eric wanted to do the trenchcoat first. I don’t know why. Actually it’s probably because he was better friends with Chris than Dylan was... Which makes me think it was Eric’s idea But I think Dylan seemed to wear his trenchcoat a lot more than Eric did

I think he had a couple pairs of sunglasses. He broke one of them and put tape around them. I think duct tape. But another pair Nate took with him when he left Littleton . So if they were prescription I wonder why he’d take them? Perhaps not so much to wear them but just remember him

joebox97

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 9:18 am

Its kind of scary that his regular glasses show his innocence and purity and the sunglasses show his darker side or help bring that out in pictures. Just a personal opinion.
Back to top Go down

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 9:36 am

joebox97 wrote:
Its kind of scary that his regular glasses show his innocence and purity and the sunglasses show his darker side or help bring that out in pictures. Just a personal opinion.

I think it possible that Dylan wore the shades as a way to hide his emotions. He hid his eyes. While I kinda want to say that Eric probably wore them to look cool. Just my own opinion. Smile
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
joebox97 wrote:

I think it possible that Dylan wore the shades as a way to hide his emotions. He hid his eyes.  While I kinda want to say that Eric probably wore them to look cool. Just my own opinion.  Smile

I do agree. Even his mom mentioned that he wore them a lot. And when he didn’t wear them he always kind a looked like he was staring out it’s outer space

I think the picture of him though at his moms birthday he doesn’t look annoyed to me he looks pensive. However his mom would probably know better

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96149
Forum Reputation : 1190

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 9:53 am

I've always thought Dylan looked like he belonged in the matrix with those glasses and trenchcoat

Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 10:10 am

Lizpuff wrote:
I've always thought Dylan looked like he belonged in the matrix with those glasses and trenchcoat

Me too and that was the movie he was supposed to see on the 22nd with Devon

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

Me too  and that was the movie he was supposed to see on the 22nd with Devon

I have always wondered why he ever made those plans, when he knew it was never going to happen.. scratch
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 10:16 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

I have always wondered why he ever made those plans, when he knew it was never going to happen.. scratch

I always assumed to make everything seem normal to his friends. Like having his parents take him all the way to Arizona...

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 10:33 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

I always assumed to make everything seem normal to his friends. Like having his parents take him all the way to Arizona...

Probably true. E&D both wanted to appear as normal as possible. But seriously just the simple fact that they could have been so calm about what was coming is just a scary thought on it's own. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 11:02 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

Probably true. E&D both wanted to appear as normal as possible. But seriously just the simple fact that they could have been so calm about what was coming is just a scary thought on it's own. Shocked

It’s as though they were so detached from what they were doing and the gravity of it

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

It’s as though they were so detached from what they were doing and the gravity of it

Very true. I just can't imagine walking around nonchalantly knowing what was coming, what I was planning on doing. affraid
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120353
Forum Reputation : 3191

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 3:25 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

Honestly that's one of the facets of Columbine I find fascinating. These two kids were acting like everything was normal right up until the day before the killings.

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 pm

I agree Dylan looked more innocent/harmless with the large prescription glasses - probably why he hated them lol... He wanted to go for the "serial killer" look, just like his Reservoir Dogs t-shirt. Or the Woody Harrelson Natural Born Killers look with the rounded sunglasses and the ponytail.

That's pretty cool, I didn't know Nate kept Dylan's glasses after the event. I can't imagine he'd go around wearing them though so probably just as a memento.

I had another thought as to how Eric may have been copying Dylan. I saw a post on here, someone showed a screenshot from the Rampart Range video where there is an Iron Cross patch visible on Eric's KMFDM hat.

He wears that hat a lot, and in all the other videos there's no patch, or at least it's not visible (it's hard to see with the video quality admittedly) but we know Dylan had the Boston Red Sox logo sewn onto his Colorado Avalanches cap for years (I guess around age 14/15) so it's likely Eric got the idea to sew a patch onto the back of a cap so it's visible from the front when worn backwards (jeez, that was a clunky sentence).
Back to top Go down

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 5:21 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

Honestly that's one of the facets of Columbine I find fascinating. These two kids were acting like everything was normal right up until the day before the killings.

The same for me as well. Its just crazy to think about it.
Back to top Go down

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 11:57 pm

That picture of Dylan looking to the side wearing is glasses was is always one of my favorites. He just looks like an entirely different Dylan. He looks sorta like just a classic nerdy 90's kid especially with the hairstyle. He looks softer when he's wearing them. He doesn't look like someone that would go on to shoot up his school. I think the sunglasses paired with the trench coat give him an entirely different look.

But... I love the picture in the sunglasses and trench coat behind Blackjack.Embarassed
Back to top Go down
joebox97

joebox97

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2018 12:09 am

hvernon wrote:
That picture of Dylan looking to the side wearing is glasses was is always one of my favorites. He just looks like an entirely different Dylan. He looks sorta like just a classic nerdy 90's kid especially with the hairstyle. He looks softer when he's wearing them. He doesn't look like someone that would go on to shoot up his school. I think the sunglasses paired with the trench coat give him an entirely different look.

But... I love the picture in the sunglasses and trench coat behind Blackjack.Embarassed

I really like younger pictures of dylan, not sure why, maybe I just see potential or a human that I wish I could of saved.
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76111
Forum Reputation : 225

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: B. D.    Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 10:21 pm

hvernon wrote:

He looks suspiciously like Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine in that pic. He also doesn't look like a neanderthal jawed goon.
Back to top Go down

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2018 6:42 am

Lunkhead McGrath wrote:
hvernon wrote:

He looks suspiciously like Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine in that pic.  He also doesn't look like a neanderthal jawed goon.

My Bloody Columbine
Back to top Go down

Contribution Points : 63295
Forum Reputation : 25

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2018 5:33 pm

is it just me, but dylan had some really bad tast on glasses expecially sunglasses. for 200/300 bucks he really bought some ugly sunglasses
Back to top Go down

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2018 4:34 am

303 wrote:
is it just me, but dylan had some really bad tast on glasses expecially sunglasses. for 200/300 bucks he really bought some ugly sunglasses

I thought they were pretty cool/suited him, overpriced though. What would you have preferred? Some aviators?
Back to top Go down

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Whenever I think of killers who wore glasses I'm reminded of Clarence Boddicker, the deranged mass murderer played by Kurtwood Smith in the underrated classic "Robocop".

Back to top Go down

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2018 7:41 pm

303 wrote:

Well I thought they looked rather dashing on him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dylan's glasses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's glasses   Dylan's glasses Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dylan's glasses
Page 1 of 1