Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Contribution Points : 70916
Forum Reputation : 95

Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Empty
PostSubject: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2019 1:23 pm

What do you guys think is the key differences between the mass shooters/school shooters who kill themselves and those who don´t?

Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

Contribution Points : 92167
Forum Reputation : 575

PostSubject: Re: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2019 3:30 pm

I think it depends on the shooter, politically motivated shooters like Breivik didn't commit suicide in order to get a platform to express their ideas, there are also shooters who didn't have the courage to kill themselves or were prevented from doing so. I believe there are two types of shooter who commit suicide, those who are extremely depressed and suicidal (e.g. Jeff Weise, Richard Durn, Steven Kazmierczak) and those who commit suicide as the only way to escape justice (e.g. Thomas Hamilton).

-Lil Peep

Nelson216 and anna444 like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Some Shooters didn't have the courage to become An Hero, like Dimitrious Pegorchiz, Micheal Ryan said he didn't but he did. Some tried to escape, like Dylannn Roof and i think Martin Bryant was trying to cause a distraction when he set the fire at Seascape.

I always imagined that i wouldn't have the courage to become An Hero.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193457
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2019 4:33 pm

Tommy QTR wrote:
I think it depends on the shooter, politically motivated shooters like Breivik didn't commit suicide in order to get a platform to express their ideas, there are also shooters who didn't have the courage to kill themselves or were prevented from doing so. I believe there are two types of shooter who commit suicide, those who are extremely depressed and suicidal (e.g. Jeff Weise, Richard Durn, Steven Kazmierczak) and those who commit suicide as the only way to escape justice (e.g. Thomas Hamilton).

I’m with you on that.

Murder suicide is usually the case in domestic violence situations but mass murder/suicide is a lot more rare.

Do you think we are getting less suicide because of the media portrayal of the shooters after Columbine?

They think staying alive... they could have the fame and they can have that notoriety?

PostSubject: Re: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Even though Tommy is right about Breivik, I'm also pretty sure he didn't an hero because he gets to spend the rest of his life in three hotel-tier (or better) rooms.
Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

PostSubject: Re: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2019 5:01 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

I’m with you on that.

Murder suicide is usually the case in domestic violence situations but mass murder/suicide is a lot more rare.

Do you think we are getting less suicide because of the media portrayal  of the shooters after Columbine?

They think staying alive... they could have the fame  and they can have that notoriety?

Perhaps, I really think it depends on the individual, take TJ Lane for example, he clearly basked in the fame and notoriety that his shooting got him, and wanted more of it which explains his behaviour in court. I also think there are shooters who believe committing suicide will get them notoriety, that there will be a certain mystique about their crime and how no one will truly no why they did it, like with Columbine.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2019 6:24 pm

Tommy QTR wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

I’m with you on that.

Do you think we are getting less suicide because of the media portrayal  of the shooters after Columbine?

They think staying alive... they could have the fame  and they can have that notoriety?

Perhaps, I really think it depends on the individual, take TJ Lane for example, he clearly basked in the fame and notoriety that his shooting got him, and wanted more of it which explains his behaviour in court. I also think there are shooters who believe committing suicide will get them notoriety, that there will be a certain mystique about their crime and how no one will truly no why they did it, like with Columbine.

I don't know if any other school shooters have been picked apart as much as Eric and Dylan have been and for so long.

They predicted it too, which is eerie.

PostSubject: Re: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

I’m with you on that.

I don't know if any other school shooters have been picked apart as much as Eric and Dylan have been and for so long.

They predicted it too, which is eerie.
Yes that's why I think there's so many copycats, they see how ingrained Columbine has become in society and try to repeat as best as they can in hopes of getting the infamy and remembrance that Eric and Dylan have.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2019 9:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] What about Charles Whitman?

Also, the only reason mass murder-suicide is rarer than murder-suicide is because there are fewer mass murderers. A very large amount of mass murderers (I'm guessing maybe 25-50%) die in their attacks.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2019 9:37 pm

NSAhoneypot wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] What about Charles Whitman?

Also, the only reason mass murder-suicide is rarer than murder-suicide is because there are fewer mass murderers. A very large amount of mass murderers (I'm guessing maybe 25-50%) die in their attacks.

That’s a good point. I didn’t think about him.

PostSubject: Re: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 pm

I guess because most of them hesitate to pull the trigger on themselves like Cruz, he doesn't want to die. Most shooters prefer to die because they don't want to stay in jail and suffer the consequences of their actions. Shooters who commit suicide are usually depressed.
Back to top Go down
Rosie1756

Rosie1756

Contribution Points : 15971
Forum Reputation : 227

PostSubject: Re: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2022 1:46 am

Anders Brievik was preparing to commit suicide but he didn't when he realised he needed to live for his manifesto. I think Brenton Tarrant had the same plan on living for his manifesto.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?    Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Differences between mass shooters who commit suicide and those who don´t?
Page 1 of 1