Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Columbine Heroes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Columbine Heroes Empty
PostSubject: Columbine Heroes   Columbine Heroes Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 6:00 pm

There were numerous acts of heroism during the shooting and aftermath. The "Game Over in Littleton" video contains an account of how two science teachers, one a Christian and one atheist, draped themselves over students to try to protect them. Apparently, the Christian teacher was praying for God to take his life rather than the childrens'. We all know about Dave Sanders...

Who else do you consider to have acted heroically?

These are three less-likely people I'd nominate:

1) Neil Gardner: Not sure he was heroic but he was at least semi-competent, which is more than you can say for the rest of the LE personnel involved in Columbine.

2) John Tomlin: Apparently tried to stand up to Eric and Dylan and paid with his life.

3) Evan Todd: I know he comes off to many people as unlikable, and that he may have bullied Eric and Dylan, but he somehow kept his nerve enough to speak to Dylan and survive.

Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
areyoulistening

Contribution Points : 102047
Forum Reputation : 0

Columbine Heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Columbine Heroes   Columbine Heroes Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Mr Sanders was no doubt the hero of the day, at least in my mind. The man risked, and lost his life to get kids out of the building.

Contribution Points : 97164

Columbine Heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Columbine Heroes   Columbine Heroes Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 11:04 pm

1- Mr. Sanders, no doubt

2-John Tomlin for standing up to E & D

3-Pat Ireland, for crawling out that window while badly wounded

4-Neil Gardner, for exchanging fire with Eric

5-Patti Nielsen, for hiding the kids under the table (even if it cost some of them their lives, she did what she thought was best at the time and under panic and called 911, staying on the line with emergency services while being under a counter).

6-If indeed Daniel Mauser tried to ''jump'' Eric, I think he's a hero too. Although not trying to do that does not take away anything from Daniel who still suffered a great deal and died in the process.

7-The other staff and students who directed and encouraged people outside the library when E & D left. Those are heroes too.

There are probably other heroes with no names or that we don't know about.

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
Back to top Go down
mrc123

Contribution Points : 97892

Columbine Heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Columbine Heroes   Columbine Heroes Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 12:50 am

I would exclude the police that were stationed behind their patrol cars on the lawn RIGHT outside the library emergency exit door. I can not imagine being a law enforcement officer just sitting on the lawn listening to the executions and not making an independent move to charge the library and save all the kids that they could. Their excuse that they thought the door was 'booby trapped' is not legitimate. Their job is to serve and protect even if they risk their own life. That is the job!!
Back to top Go down

Columbine Heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Columbine Heroes   Columbine Heroes Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 4:53 am

Mr Sanders is the biggest hero of the day in my book. He was completely selfless at the time it happened. All of his focus was on getting 'his kids' to safety, even at the risk of losing his own life in the process. He behaved in a way you would want any teacher, any person, to behave during such a dangerous situation that put a lot of kids in the line of fire. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mr Sanders and one of the most hurtful things of the entire day is that he paid for his heroics with his life.
Back to top Go down

Columbine Heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Columbine Heroes   Columbine Heroes Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 11:28 am

thedragonrampant wrote:
I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mr Sanders and one of the most hurtful things of the entire day is that he paid for his heroics with his life.
Agreed.
Back to top Go down

Columbine Heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Columbine Heroes   Columbine Heroes Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 11:30 am

mrc123 wrote:
Their excuse that they thought the door was 'booby trapped' is not legitimate.  Their job is to serve and protect even if they risk their own life.  That is the job!!
Absolutely!
Back to top Go down

Columbine Heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Columbine Heroes   Columbine Heroes Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 11:32 am

JayJay wrote:
1- Mr. Sanders, no doubt

5-Patti Nielsen, for hiding the kids under the table (even if it cost some of them their lives, she did what she thought was best at the time and under panic and called 911, staying on the line with emergency services while being under a counter).

6-If indeed Daniel Mauser tried to ''jump'' Eric, I think he's a hero too. Although not trying to do that does not take away anything from Daniel who still suffered a great deal and died in the process.

7-The other staff and students who directed  and encouraged people outside the library when E & D left. Those are heroes too.

Pat Ireland also was shot trying to help someone in the library, I think. I second you on Daniel Mauser and for my money you can add his father as well in the aftermath.
Back to top Go down
JayJay

Contribution Points : 97164

Columbine Heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Columbine Heroes   Columbine Heroes Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 12:52 am

gustopoet wrote:
JayJay wrote:
1- Mr. Sanders, no doubt

7-The other staff and students who directed  and encouraged people outside the library when E & D left. Those are heroes too.

Pat Ireland also was shot trying to help someone in the library, I think. I second you on Daniel Mauser and for my money you can add his father as well in the aftermath.
Yes, indeed, Tom Mauser is an amazing man. He's so courageous. He's come out of a horrendous event and did something positive with it.

I have yet to read his book but I read the first two chapters online.

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Columbine Heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Columbine Heroes   Columbine Heroes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Columbine Heroes
Page 1 of 1