Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Did their friends grieve for them?

Go down 
+2
true_crime
bradt93
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bradt93

Contribution Points : 91306
Forum Reputation : 255

Did their friends grieve for them? Empty
PostSubject: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2019 11:15 pm

I know Devon said at the time she thought she saw a black BMW just like Dylans, but do you think any of their other friends grieved in certain ways?

true_crime

Contribution Points : 58824
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2019 11:39 pm

I’m sure they did. I would imagine Nate Dykeman and even Zack Heckler did, perhaps Chris Morris a bit. What an odd predicament they would each have been in. Imagine trying to mourn for the loss of your friends from suicide, then having to wrestle with the reality of what they did during the last moments of their lives. On top of all that, having your town be put under a microscope and feeling like your every move is watched.

LadyStardust

Contribution Points : 51617
Forum Reputation : 387

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 8:10 am

In video interviews after 4/20, Nate is clearly distraught. He cannot control his tears. He also left a yearbook message to Eric and Dylan thanking them for thier everlasting friendship. Also in video interviews, Brooks is extremely distraught as he speaks about them. Susan wrote a very touching essay about Eric in the Voices of Columbine book. Devon speaks of her grief for Dylan. Erik Veik also appears distraught about losing two friends.

It would be hard to separate one's feelings of grief for from the anger in those easly days. Surely Zach, and Chris Morris, who both voiced anger and resentment, also felt some grief for the loss of thier friends.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193507
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 8:47 am

I think Zach’s anger came from a lot of hurt.

LadyStardust

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 9:38 am

I read somewhere that Alyssa kept in touch with the Harrises, but I can’t remember where I read it, and have no idea if it’s true or not.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 11:04 am

LadyStardust wrote:
I read somewhere that Alyssa kept in touch with the Harrises, but I can’t remember where I read it, and have no idea if it’s true or not.

I read that here, but nothing to back it up.

Nate and I think Zach still keep in touch with the Klebolds.

UncontinuedProcess

Contribution Points : 67332
Forum Reputation : 430

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
LadyStardust wrote:

I read that here, but nothing to back it up.

Nate and I think Zach still keep in touch with the Klebolds.

Yeah Sue mentioned in her book that she's still in good contact with Nate and Zach.
Back to top Go down
true_crime

true_crime

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 11:51 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
I think Zach’s anger came from a lot of hurt.

Spot on Screamingophelia!

true_crime

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 11:54 pm

Great story that I happened to stumble upon just now while Googling something totally different. It talks about the loss of friends. It was written by Alan Prendergast so of course it’s going to be awesome. Ironically I just happened upon it and it was written a few days before the 10 year anniversary.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Contribution Points : 91306
Forum Reputation : 255

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 1:15 am

LadyStardust wrote:
In video interviews after 4/20, Nate is clearly distraught. He cannot control his tears. He also left a yearbook message to Eric and Dylan thanking them for thier everlasting friendship. Also in video interviews, Brooks is extremely distraught as he speaks about them. Susan wrote a very touching essay about Eric in the Voices of Columbine book. Devon speaks of her grief  for Dylan. Erik Veik also appears distraught about losing two friends.

It would be hard to separate one's feelings of grief for from the anger in those easly days. Surely Zach, and Chris Morris, who both voiced anger and resentment, also felt some grief for the loss of thier friends.  
It's ashame Eric didn't realize Susan may of been the one for him instead of Brandy snob.

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Of course their friends grieved for them. They probably felt ashamed for the fact they were grieving over murderers and mostly grieved in private. It probably took a while to come to terms with the fact that it is okay to grieve over Eric and Dylan. I'm sure it did make them angry and hurt. I wouldn't know how to feel at that age if my friends killed some of my other friends and classmates.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 83032
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 9:39 pm

hvernon wrote:
Of course their friends grieved for them. They probably felt ashamed for the fact they were grieving over murderers and mostly grieved in private. It probably took a while to come to terms with the fact that it is okay to grieve over Eric and Dylan. I'm sure it did make them angry and hurt. I wouldn't know how to feel at that age if my friends killed some of my other friends and classmates.

^This
I'd imagine there were few people that they could talk to about their feelings because people who didn't know Eric and Dylan would only be looking at them through the lens of what they'd done. Their friends were probably made to feel bad or that they were wrong to care that Eric and Dylan were dead. I doubt they had much support and probably faced a lot of backlash, which would have compounded their grief.
I also agree with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that Zach's anger was rooted in grief. I'd imagine, if I were in his shoes, I might also question myself like what did I miss? what could I have done? Zach sounds like an ass when he talks about Dylan in his police statement but I don't doubt that he did care for him and I'd hope that in time he was able to reconcile his feelings for the Dylan that he knew.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 10:05 pm

thelmar wrote:
hvernon wrote:

^This
I'd imagine there were few people that they could talk to about their feelings because people who didn't know Eric and Dylan would only be looking at them through the lens of what they'd done. Their friends were probably made to feel bad or that they were wrong to care that Eric and Dylan were dead. I doubt they had much support and probably faced a lot of backlash, which would have compounded their grief.
I also agree with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that Zach's anger was rooted in grief. I'd imagine, if I were in his shoes, I might also question myself like what did I miss? what could I have done? Zach sounds like an ass when he talks about Dylan in his police statement but I don't doubt that he did care for him and I'd hope that in time he was able to reconcile his feelings for the Dylan that he knew.

Something I wonder about and of course we will never know, but Dylan and Zach were really close, but I know towards the end even Sue said Dylan was closer to Nate BUT I feel like Zach was Dylan's first really true best friend and even Devon won him over. So I wonder if Zach felt resentment after when it came to Eric. If you think about it, that is pretty heady shit thinking of your friend going on pretty much a murder suicide mission with someone.

LadyStardust

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Zach and Eric had to be somewhat friends, though. They did rebel missions together, and he even had a nickname, kiBBz. (How is that pronounced, btw?)
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 83032
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 9:26 pm

LadyStardust wrote:
Zach and Eric had to be somewhat friends, though. They did rebel missions together, and he even had a nickname, kiBBz. (How is that pronounced, btw?)

It's short for Kibble, I believe in reference to Zach always snacking on stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did their friends grieve for them?   Did their friends grieve for them? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did their friends grieve for them?
Page 1 of 1