Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Austin Eubanks found dead

Go down 
+19
Lizpuff
Lavitax
Lunkhead McGrath
haydenschool
boringguy
true_crime
bradt93
Runes
HanShotFirst
TEC
LPorter101
spinvault
Kerea2244
5PMSomewhere
Yumeko-chan
School Massacre Archives
Screamingophelia
thelmar
23 posters
AuthorMessage
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82757
Forum Reputation : 3068

Austin Eubanks found dead Empty
PostSubject: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:19 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:25 pm

Really sad news. Rest in peace, Austin.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:38 pm

Just heart breaking Sad

School Massacre Archives

Contribution Points : 66394
Forum Reputation : 248

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:39 pm

That's terrible. Can't believe we already have 4 school shooting related suicides this year.
R.I.P Austin Eubanks.

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:43 pm

This is not news I expected to see today. Rest in peace, Austin.
Back to top Go down
Yumeko-chan

Contribution Points : 105365
Forum Reputation : 102

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:49 pm

Came here to post this but someone beat me to it.

I haven't seen anything to suggest it was a suicide; however, it would not surprise me 😞
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:51 pm

I’m not sure what kind of afterlife I believe in but I’d like to think he’s now not in pain and he’s hanging out with Corey.

Someone commented on a public post that they should add his death on to the list of chargers against the killers at Columbine.. then someone was like “Um,  they’re dead...”

But they really did cause something that’s still being felt today.

5PMSomewhere

Contribution Points : 53605
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:53 pm

Very sad
Back to top Go down
Kerea2244
Top 10 Contributor
Kerea2244

Contribution Points : 123650
Forum Reputation : 40

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 7:06 pm

My heart hurts. I feel like I knew him personally.... atleast he's with Corey now

spinvault

Contribution Points : 73328
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 8:47 pm

So sad. RIP Austin.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 8:53 pm

We'll have to wait for the official cause of death, but it appears it was an overdose. In my opinion, this is akin to a suicide for someone whose career was based on fighting addiction.

Eubanks’ family says in a statement that he “lost the battle with the very disease he fought so hard to help others face,” KMGH-TV reports.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 9:14 pm

thelmar wrote:
We'll have to wait for the official cause of death, but it appears it was an overdose. In my opinion, this is akin to a suicide for someone whose career was based on fighting addiction.

Eubanks’ family says in a statement that he “lost the battle with the very disease he fought so hard to help others face,” KMGH-TV reports.

That's awful.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 9:25 pm

Regardless of where you were that day, being a survivor is hard, i think it changes who you are to the core whether it is in a small way or a huge way.

He was doing good for so many people, but when you're struggling with your own demons it's terrifying, it is hard to get through.

Even the people who didn't know Austin who are also survivors it has to tear them apart. I imagine it hurts even hurts the parents of Eric and Dylan, especially Sue... knowing their children are responsible for so much, "Ripples of Columbine" was the perfect title for that series.

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Regardless of where you were that day, being a survivor is hard, i think it changes who you are to the core whether it is in a small way or a huge way.

He was doing good for so many people, but when you're struggling with your own demons it's terrifying, it is hard to get through.

Even the people who didn't know Austin who are also survivors it has to tear them apart. I imagine it hurts even hurts the parents of Eric and Dylan, especially Sue... knowing their children are responsible for so much, "Ripples of Columbine" was the perfect title for that series.

Yes, the effects are still very much being felt all these years later. The title couldn't have been any better. I feel for Austin's family. It must have been so reliving to know he made it out of the school alive only for them to lose him 20 years later.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 150640
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Ironically, I posted an article about his struggle with addiction just a couple of days ago:

Three years ago, he seemed to have triumphed over it. But no one ever cures an addiction. The struggle goes on until the day you die.

Rest in peace, Austin. May you find the serenity in death that eluded you in life.

Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 150640
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 9:33 pm

Austin Eubanks and Corey DePooter, 1999:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Austin Eubanks, 2016:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

TEC

Contribution Points : 99344

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 2:00 am

Another victim over 20 years later, so sad. R.I.P. Austin.
Back to top Go down
HanShotFirst
Top Contributor
HanShotFirst

Contribution Points : 64337
Forum Reputation : 1210

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 3:09 am

God speed Austin

Runes

Contribution Points : 46908
Forum Reputation : 250

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 6:54 am

Terrible, terrible news... It shows painfully well how Columbine is still affecting survivors today.
Mark Taylor is another unfortunate example of that.
IIRC Austin had two young children Sad
It saddens me to think that E&D were so right when they predicted the effects it would have..
Back to top Go down
bradt93

Contribution Points : 91031
Forum Reputation : 255

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 8:34 am

Runes wrote:
Terrible, terrible news... It shows painfully well how Columbine is still affecting survivors today.
Mark Taylor is another unfortunate example of that.
IIRC Austin had two young children Sad
It saddens me to think that E&D were so right when they predicted the effects it would have..
This is very heart breaking. What goal did E and D hope to accomplish by having the survivors deal with addiction and substance abuse most of their lives? This poor man and I pray for his family.

true_crime

Contribution Points : 58549
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 10:33 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
I’m not sure what kind of afterlife I believe in but I’d like to think he’s now not in pain and he’s hanging out with Corey.

Someone commented on a public post that they should add his death on to the list of chargers against the killers at Columbine.. then someone was like “Um,  they’re dead...”

But they really did cause something that’s still being felt today.

I’m glad you mentioned that, because it certainly is true. Anne Marie’s mom, so many addicts and having to face their demons, then there was an athlete who committed suicide the year after the shooting.

The whole thing is just so sad.

true_crime

Contribution Points : 58549
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 10:43 am

School Massacre Archives wrote:
That's terrible. Can't believe we already have 4 school shooting related suicides this year.
R.I.P Austin Eubanks.

A survivor of Parkland, the father of one of the Sandy Hook victims, now Austin, who is the fourth?

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 11:04 am

There were two suicides from Parkland
Back to top Go down
boringguy

boringguy

Contribution Points : 82685
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 12:07 pm

His TedX talk in case anyone hasn't seen it. It's obvious that he fought really hard to overcome his addiction, its sad that it won. Someone claimed to be his son in the comments, which makes it even worse. I used to be one of those people who thought of addicted people as "druggies," but my mind has opened up a lot since then. Between the predatory healthcare and legal systems and the stigmatization/lack of access to mental health care, it's no wonder we have an opioid pandemic.

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 2:24 pm

Well said [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] addicts are not always what we see in tv or in bad parts of town. Opioids are out of control due to our healthcare system being flawed. I have a feeling we will hear soon that it was a relapse for Austin. It is sad but I am sure with him being outspoken about being an addict it may have helped others even if it didn’t end well for him.
Back to top Go down
haydenschool

Contribution Points : 64373

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 9:10 pm

Damn, rest in peace Austin. Not to hijack the thread but today would've marked 19 years since he graduated CHS. 20 years later and the wounds still didn't heal; it shows that survivors still suffer even if it's been 10, 20, 30 years since the physical wounds healed.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 9:25 pm

I didn't realize that Sad I bet there are times that may even last years where you think you're doing okay and getting things back on track then something happens and it hits you all over again and you almost start the healing process again.

Top 10 Contributor
Kerea2244

Contribution Points : 123650
Forum Reputation : 40

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 9:54 pm

I wonder how many survivors feel the same way Austin did before taking his life  Sad

Contribution Points : 76136
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2019 7:54 pm

Awful story....one of his kids is 14....f***ing opioids...
Back to top Go down
Lavitax

Contribution Points : 65023

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 1:05 am

STEM was the last straw. Neutral
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 8:31 am

legacy.com has set up a permanent Guest Book for people to leave condolences to Austin's family. Reading it, it's clear that his work as a speaker on addiction impacted a lot of people. I hope his family, especially his children, find some small comfort in these tributes.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96174
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 8:40 am

I hope you are right thelmar.

Contribution Points : 79406

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 9:23 am

Very sad. Must be a lot of deaths connected to Columbine by now, even though it has been over 20 years.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 11:45 pm

I thought this was a great article. It focuses on Austin's friends and the work he was doing more than just his "Columbine survivor" moniker.

He spent years trying to escape Columbine and in death that's all the media harps on. He deserves better.
Back to top Go down
Antarath

Antarath

Contribution Points : 48160

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 11:58 am

This saddens me so much. I was reading a lot about him 3-4 months ago and cried when I saw his videos of him speaking.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 4:05 pm

thelmar wrote:
I thought this was a great article. It focuses on Austin's friends and the work he was doing more than just his  "Columbine survivor" moniker.

He spent years trying to escape Columbine and in death that's all the media harps on. He deserves better.

Yes, he did so much more than just survive the shooting. Unfortunately, all the headlines label him as "Columbine Survivor Austin Eubanks" rather than noting all the work he did with people who have addictions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Even if he helped just one person cope with addiction, then I believe he made a difference. I cannot imagine how his family could not be proud of him despite their loss.
Back to top Go down
starviego

Contribution Points : 101437

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 6:45 pm

1891 wrote:
Very sad. Must be a lot of deaths connected to Columbine by now, even though it has been over 20 years.

7-10-99  Corey Hager, a freshman at CHS

10-22-99 Carla Hochhalter, the mother of victim AnnMarie Hochalter

2-13-00  Subway murders, Nicholas Kunselman,15 and Stephanie Hart, 16

5-4-00  Greg Barnes, 17 year-old junior

12-6-02  Teresa Miller, 44, teacher and hallway eyewitness. Cancer death

1-27-03  Jonathan Ross Ladd, 20, a graduate of Columbine High, killed in two plane crash over north Denver

12-14-04  Marine Lance Corporal Greg Rund, 20, a 2002 Columbine graduate was killed during a mission in Fallujah, Iraq

8-28-05  Tiffany Lien, freshman on 4-20, and an outside witness\

missing since 12-26-06  Brandi Jo Malonson, freshman on 4/20 and a cafeteria witness

6-17-07  LPD Lt. Bill Black, responded to the scene on 4-20 around noon; cancer death

9-14-07 Joseph Stair, 27. Trenchcoat Mafia associate, CHS class of '97

9-27-07  Charles Luke Milam, 26, CHS class of '99, died in combat in Afghanistan

about 11-21-08  Russ Cook, 59, elected Jefferson County Sheriff after John Stone

6-7-09  JCSO dispatcher Cindy Cline

6-15-13  Matthew Depew, 30

11/11/2010  David Caravan, TCMer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 7:25 pm

I don't really count the Subway murders as connected to Columbine. They were completely unrelated to the shooting at the school.
Back to top Go down
Yumeko-chan

Contribution Points : 105365
Forum Reputation : 102

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 9:47 am

Joe was from the Class of '98 and the shooting had little if anything to do with his death.
Back to top Go down
SandraSmit19

SandraSmit19

Contribution Points : 103044
Forum Reputation : 235

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 11:29 am

Yumeko-chan wrote:
Joe was from the Class of '98 and the shooting had little if anything to do with his death.

It must have been terrible for Joe to be mentioned in one breath with Eric and Dylan at the time of the shooting, though. As if he had anything to do with it, despite there being no evidence of this whatsoever No

milennialrebelette

Contribution Points : 59390
Forum Reputation : 725

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 5:03 am

Sorry I've been MIA I got a new job which is a huge promotion and have had to move across the state without much notice. So things have been really crazy

Anyway Austin's death hit me really hard. We had become friends due to our professional connections a few years ago I did an additional program
on addiction counseling to add to my MSW. I was really interested in his Steamboat program. He was super passionate about helping others and had so many great ideas he wanted to impliment, that didn't follow the industry status quo but were really innovative IMO.

My sister introduced us. They were friends in high school and then partied together and drifted apart and then once they both started their recovery individually they became close again.

Anyway the whole thing is just devastating. :-/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 9:24 pm

That is so sad. At least he's up there with Corey now. R.I.P, angel.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 11:58 pm

Sadly, the toxicology report confirms that Austin died from a heroin overdose.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 am

thelmar wrote:
Sadly, the toxicology report confirms that Austin died from a heroin overdose.

That's very unfortunate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 2:15 am

We all predicted it since his family made suggestions to it, but hearing it official is very sad. Thank you for the update on him. Sad
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2019 8:20 pm

Interesting article about Austin Eubanks; an interview with his ex-wife, the mother of his kids.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Austin Eubanks found dead   Austin Eubanks found dead Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Austin Eubanks found dead
Page 1 of 1