Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?

Go down 
+13
Norwegian
Imperator
Butterbean
Onyx
true_crime
42099_4EVA
LadyStardust
thelmar
Amarantha
slippy123
DanielGardner
Screamingophelia
sympathyforEandD
17 posters
AuthorMessage
sympathyforEandD

sympathyforEandD

Contribution Points : 71319
Forum Reputation : 486

How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Empty
PostSubject: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Just wondering what emotions you experience, and what thoughts enter your mind, when you look at them.

Personally the photos make me very sad. When I look at them (which is rare) or think about them, I start thinking about Eric's journal entries, about him being picked on, how nobody invites him to hang out or do stuff, and how he rips on people who look like him just because he hates himself. I think about Dylan's interview where he talks about possibly getting a scholarship, shakes the interviewer's hand and gives this big smile. I've cried before while looking at the photos, and I'm a super unemotional person in general. Something about that photo makes the magnitude of the shooting hit me all at once.

Last edited by sympathyforEandD on Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Blue likes this post

Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193357
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 9:49 pm

It makes me sad. It really heartens me that they died amongst the people that they killed. I certainly have never thought of them as any kind of bad asses or heroes but it really just hits home how young they were. It makes me sad because their parents had to see it. And I kind of get Danny Rs father felt the need to release the picture and he had to see his son dead in the paper so he more than likely wasn’t giving a shit what Eric and Dylan‘s parents thought.

I know in one way they were murderers so what right do they have to any privacy but I’m not thinking of them I am thinking of the people that loved them. I also don’t think it did what the media wanted it to do. It elicited way more sympathy. Much like when they released their student films instead of the basement tapes. It showed 2 goofy boys with their friends making videos. The two of them could barely keep a straight face sometimes they were so much fun l. That also makes some of them incredibly scary because they were planning on killing their friends. I mean not directly but they knew there was a good chance they would die

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 9:56 pm

I can agree that it makes me very sad looking at the photos knowing what happened that day. They were very young and caused such an absolute tragedy. The photos elicit sympathy from me as someone who has struggled with depression. Both of the boys struggled very hard with depression. I think about that when I see the photos, and I think about where that struggle lead them. It's not really a photo I like to view because of the emotions it does elicit from me. The gore doesn't get to me. I've been around the internet too much for that. Seeing both of them laying there, just teen aged boys, among the carnage they caused gets to me.
Back to top Go down
DanielGardner

DanielGardner

Contribution Points : 56500
Forum Reputation : 83

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 10:25 pm

Ever since I saw them, now whenever I research Columbine or watch a documentary about it or watch a video of Eric and Dylan it makes me think of the picture, and I think to myself “wow, that’s how they end up”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 11:43 pm

I hope don’t come across as cold hearted, but when I see the picture I don’t feel anything. When I do feel sadness is when I see other pictures of them. They were alive and youthful and had nothing but the future ahead of them. (Until the moment they agreed to destroy it all).
Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105538
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 12:47 pm

It puts into context how much pain and mystery their lives must of been consumed by for everything to culminate with suicides in their school's library.

It's a shame people didn't act on certain things before hand, but as we all know hindsight is 20/20.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 pm

slippy123 wrote:
It puts into context how much pain and mystery their lives must of been consumed by for everything to culminate with suicides in their school's library.

It's a shame people didn't act on certain things before hand, but as we all know hindsight is 20/20.

They very well could’ve left the school and got killed by the police. I know it probably was strategic because they went back to the library to shoot at the cops but there’s just something so eerie about them killing themselves in the library.

I read that the first responders I think told Lisa to keep her eyes closed. Patrick I imagine saw something but he was probably too out of it. I think Lisa might have been too far to see Eric and Dylans bodies but she saw Laurens Sad

Amarantha

Contribution Points : 72597
Forum Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 1:42 pm

a picture like that puts into perspective what they were thinking and how they were feeling. The both of them trusted each other to the point they were able to carry out a massacre, still their friendship couldn't mend their emotional wounds. Makes you wonder to which extent they were feeling helpless and beyond repair

Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 2:58 pm

I am asking this question earnestly. Has there ever been a mutual murder suicide case like this? Like two people that say OK we’re going to commit a crime then we’re killing ourselves after? I think this is one of the biggest reasons I am so so interested in the case address all these years. I find that very fascinating

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 3:56 pm

I can't see much of Eric, but Dylan suddenly looks really small and tiny. It just underlines they were kids, nothing but a bunch of kids. Dylan's facial expression seems kinda calm and almost slightly amused. Like, 'whoa, it all really is just a joke after all!'

Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Even after he was cleaned up Sue and even Byron mentioned that the look on his face was so different it didn’t even look like Dylan. It was almost looking at a different person

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 5:09 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
I am asking this question earnestly. Has there ever been a mutual murder suicide case like this? Like two people that say OK we’re going to commit a crime then we’re killing ourselves after? I think this is one of the biggest reasons I am so so interested in the case address all these years. I find that very fascinating

I think the majority of school shooters have been lone wolf types. Really most mass shooters have been lone wolves. There was that school shooting recently where only one student died that was perpetrated by two students- can't think of the name of the school right now. That's all that comes to mind immediately. I can agree that's what makes Columbine very interesting. Dylan and Eric a somewhat successful duo who then committed suicide together.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82882
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 9:09 am

Screamingophelia wrote:

The Suzano massacre in Sao Paulo. They were heavily influenced by Columbine.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Two Japanese men who killed 11 members of a family because one of the men had  conflicts with 2 brothers in that family.

Several members of crime duos killed themselves following apprehension or conviction, but these were the only two cases I found where the perpetrators committed suicide together.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 3:59 pm

thelmar wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

The Suzano massacre in Sao Paulo. They were heavily influenced by Columbine.

Two Japanese men who killed 11 members of a family because one of the men had  conflicts with 2 brothers in that family.

Several members of crime duos killed themselves following apprehension or conviction, but these were the only two cases I found where the perpetrators committed suicide together.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 10:42 am

Yes, thanks for sharing. I had not heard of either of those cases. The Suzano massacre is interesting that the 17 year old carried out the murder suicide of him and his accomplice.
But yes, I agree that Columbine is intriguing to me because of the dynamics. (I think I talked about it on discord) but it always amazes me how Eric did the suicide along with Dylan. He never wrote suicidal like Dylan until closer to the end when he would say or write something to the effect of I won’t be alive or my last week alive sort of thing. He had to have been struggling with suicidal thoughts to go and commit suicide. I feel he hid it well (or I guess never made it apparent to his audience in the end).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 2:01 pm

SenSpiritedAway wrote:
Yes, thanks for sharing. I had not heard of either of those cases. The Suzano massacre is interesting that the 17 year old carried out the murder suicide of him and his accomplice.
But yes, I agree that Columbine is intriguing to me because of the dynamics. (I think I talked about it on discord) but it always amazes me how Eric did the suicide along with Dylan. He never wrote suicidal like Dylan until closer to the end when he would say or write something to the effect of I won’t be alive or my last week alive sort of thing. He had to have been struggling with suicidal thoughts to go and commit suicide. I feel he hid it well (or I guess never made it apparent to his audience in the end).
I truly believe the majority of Eric's journal was written with an audience in mind. He was hoping that after the events of Columbine it would be made public for us all to read. Lo and behold...
Back to top Go down
LadyStardust

LadyStardust

Contribution Points : 51467
Forum Reputation : 387

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 5:53 pm

The suicide pics definitely made me sad. Instead of feeling joy or relief at the sight of the dead killers, I felt sadness at the sight of two skinny, gangly, sad misguided boys. The picture really brings it home that these were not some super-villains from a movie, but two tragedies unto themselves.
Back to top Go down
42099_4EVA

42099_4EVA

Contribution Points : 66010
Forum Reputation : 28

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2019 9:50 pm

Personally, it makes me sad to see two lives wasted but it also makes me relieved that finally they were out of their pain. It took them sending their bodies through tremendous, excruciating pain in order to escape the mortal pain and suffering that they had endured for years, so for me, it's a mixture of sadness and relief.
Back to top Go down
true_crime

true_crime

Contribution Points : 58674
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2019 11:51 pm

A lot of sadness and a bit of pity.

As Screamingophelia stated earlier, there was a particular reason why they returned to the library (vantage point to shoot at first responders and to see the car bombs explode). But to see them end their lives so close to their victims is an eerie feeling.

Top Contributor
Onyx

Contribution Points : 49127
Forum Reputation : 378

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 8:03 am

true_crime wrote:

As Screamingophelia stated earlier, there was a particular reason why they returned to the library (vantage point to shoot at first responders and to see the car bombs explode). But to see them end their lives so close to their victims is an eerie feeling.

I think suicide at the library was a sudden and spontaneous decision. What I mean is that I think they were panicked that the SWAT could come in at any moment, or that they might soon run out of ammunition.

And as for the photos, it might be weird, but I don't feel anything. For me, it's a lot sadder to see them alive and smiling.
Back to top Go down
Butterbean

Contribution Points : 44035
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 10:32 am

The pics make me feel disappointed. In my mind their bodies represent all the potential (their victims and even themselves) they destroyed. What a total waste and for what? A few minutes of thrills? I imagine they died feeling incredibly defeated as none of their grand plans went right. Obviously shooting people wasn’t thrilling enough since they did so little of that compared to how much they could’ve done. All that planning and they ended up dying all alone in the corner of the library as the hateful unfulfilled failures they really were.

bit_bit46 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 10:04 pm

Looking at them right now, it makes me feel ill. Or maybe that's just the radiation from my microwave...
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

Contribution Points : 73370
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 9:35 pm

It makes me feel disgusted at their actions resulting in taking their own lives. I also am disgusted at the diagrams that show the innocent victims that were gunned down for no reason aside from being students at Columbine and being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

The whole thing is pitiful. I have pity for them all.

bit_bit46 and johncena like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 1:53 am

Just makes me feel sad at times, Rest in Peace
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78978
Forum Reputation : 304

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 10:06 am

I feel really sorry for Dylan, in a way. Depression isnt easy to cope with by a long shot. Yet, at the same time its still beyond me how anyone can kill a bunch of people in the process. School shootings and terrorist attacks baffles me..

Yet, its so out of the ordinary that I can't help but trying to understand the how and the why.

And Dylan and so many others, I think that they could have been helped.
Back to top Go down
Prince_Bren

Prince_Bren

Contribution Points : 29302

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2021 9:28 am

It makes me feel like they wasted potential by shooting up the school and then killing themselves.
Back to top Go down
daisylee671

daisylee671

Contribution Points : 33530

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2021 12:15 am

Last edited by daisylee671 on Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98143
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2021 4:23 am

It just reminds me what absolute assholes they were.

I like to believe Eric didn’t even warn Dylan he was about to put the gun in his mouth. I hope Dylan just turned around and there was Eric with half a head. Imagine how terrified Dylan would have been seeing that and knowing he now only had the same option. I know he craved death but even if he experienced a few moments terror before it that would be a crumb of comfort.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 12:03 pm

To me, those pictures feel sort of like a calm after the storm. As in, “it’s finally over”. I think Eric and Dylan had crossed the point of no return long before the shooting and any path they could have taken afterwards would be violent and self-destructive, and therefore their suicide feels like the logical conclusion of their lives.

Of course I would have preferred to see the photos of them being arrested for mass murder plot, but what has happened has already happened and IMO it was not that preventable.

Last edited by morgenroede on Sun May 16, 2021 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Adzybear

Adzybear

Contribution Points : 60961
Forum Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2021 4:04 pm

I get that same feeling morgenroede. IMO, Dylan looks peaceful. I feel almost relieved for them both. For some reason, I have more mind fuck when it comes to Dylan. No idea why? He seems so likeable in the little videos we have. Perhaps his journal influenced my opinion? That's what annoys me about the basement tapes thing. I am sure I would have less compassion for him, seeing his true evil and immature nature.

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2021 7:37 pm

Adzybear wrote:
For some reason, I have more mind fuck when it comes to Dylan. No idea why? He seems so likeable in the little videos we have. Perhaps his journal influenced my opinion? That's what annoys me about the basement tapes thing. I am sure I would have less compassion for him, seeing his true evil and immature nature.

Some of his journal entries make him seem somewhat likable (or rather relatable) to me as well. Just not the creepy “love” stuff which according to Dave Cullen should make everyone sympathize with Dylan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?   How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do the boys' suicide photos make you feel?
Page 1 of 1