Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78853
Forum Reputation : 304

Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths? Empty
PostSubject: Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths?   Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 12:20 pm

I dont get this. Ive been into the goth scene for quite some time. Im planning to become more into it, as I still havent got the clothes etc.

I can only state so far that anyone that sees Dylan and Eric as as goths must have been extremely misinformed. Theres so much information provided about the gothic subculture these days. Theres no excuse to try and educate oneselves.

I know that it stems from the whole misinformation back in the day, but seriously. Its easy to see that they werent goths or anything like that if people just payed attention to what its really all about.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths?   Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 2:02 pm

I assume because they wore a lot of black and people kind of misconstrued that into being goth.

In my school Dylan would have been considered “alternative”

Eric would actually have been considered still a bit preppy.

Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths?   Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 10:36 pm

Yup
Back to top Go down
bradt93

Contribution Points : 91031
Forum Reputation : 255

PostSubject: Re: Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths?   Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 10:52 pm

I always wondered why like a cheerleader would never date a goth guy in HS? Is it because she's afraid she'll lose her "social status"?
Back to top Go down
cakeman

cakeman

Contribution Points : 80497
Forum Reputation : 1491

PostSubject: Re: Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths?   Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2019 12:50 am

While I'm not saying they were goths - or anything else, I didn't know them, it doesn't surprise me people think of them as goths. Wearing all black, long trench coats, liking heavy and gloomy music, shopping at hot topic, being depressed, growing hair out from depression, being edgelords drawing pentagrams and Satanic stuff due to Doom and Quake. Horror films. Joy Division is a Nazi reference. The Goths themselves are Germanic.  Wilder Wein is a pretty goth-ish tune. Referencing HP Lovecraft. All of that fits one or both of them. Not sure what else you call Chris Morris wearing all black and an artsy beret. They certainly come across as the type to befriend goths and punks, at least. The Trench Coat Mafia is basically or at least perceived as "people who arent jocks who feel like outcasts who wear long black clothes", which is most easily summed up as "goth", even if they didn't e. g. wear black lipstick, or whatever. It's said Eric changed from "prep" to wearing all black, and Dylan changed to growing his hair out and already wore the trench coat.

Not to mention all the press in the wake of the massacre, false or otherwise, about Marilyn Manson.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths?   Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2019 6:24 pm

Thats more like a stereotype, actually. Goth is actually a lifestyle and people are genuinely misinformed
Back to top Go down
WhiteGirl1O78

WhiteGirl1O78

Contribution Points : 39545
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths?   Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 6:40 pm

They weren't specifically goth, but they fell under the alterative subculture spectrum of grunge, punk, emo, goth, and etc. They dressed dark. They wore black trench coats, combat boots, listened to rock bands like nine inch nails and kmfdm, eric wore flannels, and dylan said he wanted to get a read leather jacket at one point. I would label them as grunge

Last edited by WhiteGirl1O78 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths?   Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 4:19 pm

WhiteGirl1O78 wrote:
They were. They dressed in black, wore trench coats, combat boots, and listened to rock and electronic music. Dylan wanted to get a red leather jacket and hated preps so much that he wrote an essay about killing them. He also had stereotypical long, rocker boy hair. Eric wore a flannel in one of his photos. They looked like stereotypical goths to me.

Goth is way more than a fashion statement. Most people assume that because you listen to dark music and wear dark clothes that makes you a goth. But this isnt true. A lot of people dress in Black and are not goths. Such as metalheads, punks, etc. They may have liked or listened to industrial bands and to dress up in Black, but that doesnt make them goth. If you want to learned more about the goth subculure there are websides such as Cemetary Confessions that do regular podcasts regarding the gothic subculure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths?   Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why do people think Eric and Dylan were goths?
Page 1 of 1