Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

December 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

December 1696	Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person? Empty
PostSubject: December 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person?   December 1696	Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 7:22 pm

I was reading a list of massacres in Japan and got surprised by one such incident - called the "Yoshiwara spree killing" that ocurred in December 1696, where 100+ people were killed by Sano Jirōzaemon, a wealthy lord.

But, according to the Tsujigiri article (where it contains information about the incident) it says that only "dozens" people were killed. It were prostitues killed with a katana. Sano Jirōzaemon was treated by authorities as a spree killer and sentenced to death. Later, a kabuki play was made about the incident.

Links: Tsujigiri, the List of massacres in Japan

Could someone who understands Japanese clarify that to me? Greetings.
Back to top Go down
Onyx
Top Contributor
Onyx

Contribution Points : 49127
Forum Reputation : 378

PostSubject: Re: December 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person?   December 1696	Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 8:13 pm

I understand a bit of Japanese. What exactly do you want to be clarified?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: December 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person?   December 1696	Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 11:40 pm

Onyx wrote:
I understand a bit of Japanese. What exactly do you want to be clarified?
Hello! Thanks for helping me. I want to the death toll be correctly clarified. Because the list says 100+ people were killed, while the article only cites "dozens" of people.
Back to top Go down
Onyx
Top Contributor
Onyx

PostSubject: Re: December 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person?   December 1696	Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 6:14 pm

In Japanese this incident is known as "吉原百人斬り" (Yoshiwara hyakunin giri) which translates as "One hundred Yoshiwara slash" since the toll was around 100 people. Unfortunately, It seems the exact number is not known.

Btw, there is a movie inspired by this incident, Hero of the Red Light District (1960).
It may be interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: December 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person?   December 1696	Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 8:15 pm

Onyx wrote:
In Japanese this incident is known as "吉原百人斬り" (Yoshiwara hyakunin giri) which translates as "One hundred Yoshiwara slash" since the toll was around 100 people. Unfortunately, It seems the exact number is not known.

Btw, there is a movie inspired by this incident, Hero of the Red Light District (1960).
It may be interesting.
Thanks for the help. I have seen a screenshot of the movie in this site and it seems in the photo that he was surronded by a number of soldiers. Maybe that were his companions? I am a bit confused, but I still think only Sano was involved.
Back to top Go down
Onyx
Top Contributor
Onyx

PostSubject: Re: December 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person?   December 1696	Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2019 6:37 am

You're welcome!

The movie is probably a loose adaptation, who knows what really happened Smile
Back to top Go down
xDarkRazoR

xDarkRazoR

Contribution Points : 36812
Forum Reputation : 1420

PostSubject: Re: December 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person?   December 1696	Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2023 4:52 am

Quote :
100+ people were killed by Sano Jirōzaemon (...) It were prostitues killed with a katana.

God, bless this man's soul!

His name is RazoR. You will come to know him as the Prophet of Dark. He is male. He is 18 years of age. He lives in Poland. He finds that is horrible place to live. He is not a people person. He has met a handful of people in his life who are decent. But he finds the vast majority to be worthless, no good, kniving, lieing, deceptive, motherfuckers. W0rk sux, sk00l sux, l1f3 sux.

I love you A.F. <3 Our relationship
[*]25 April 2020 - 24 January 2022

RAZOR'S BACK [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

QuestionMark, ANOMIC, NEXT STEP UP, proshooter, Vlixu23 and LucienBarminswaAlexander like this post

Back to top Go down
Carnations

Carnations

Contribution Points : 13648
Forum Reputation : 81

PostSubject: Re: December 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person?   December 1696	Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2023 10:12 pm

Sabrina_Kilic wrote:
It's almost certainly just a myth.
I think it's unreasonable to say that. Is the death count exaggerated? Probably, but there are records of Sano's killing spree dating back hundreds of years. At the very least, that makes it more credible than the 1938 Turkey shooting, which you put on your spreadsheet.

QuestionMark, Arkan and LucienBarminswaAlexander like this post

Sabrina_Kilic dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: December 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person?   December 1696	Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

December 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing - 100 people killed by one person?
Page 1 of 1