Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why did no one in the library try to stop them?

Go down 
+11
00buckshot
QuestionMark
dontknow43
Nessaj85
Onyx
Icarius
cakeman
noodlesoldier
Szabo
Screamingophelia
kblu
15 posters
AuthorMessage
kblu

kblu

Contribution Points : 53609
Forum Reputation : 425

Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Empty
PostSubject: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 2:21 am

Before anyone says it, yes, I know they had guns. But I still think it would have been fairly easy to stop them.

Dylan was tall, but he was very skinny at the time of the massacre. Eric was short and also pretty skinny, plus he broke his nose shortly after entering the library. IIRC witnesses said he appeared to be dizzy, disorientated, and couldn’t even walk in a straight line.

Most of the guys in the room would have easily been able to stop them. I even think Bree Pasquale might have been able to grab Eric’s gun from him when he was squatting in front of her and had it resting on his legs. That was seconds after he broke his nose so I definitely think she would have had a fair chance of getting it.

Didn’t one of them also put one of their guns on the table for a few seconds? That also would have been a good chance for someone to grab it.

And yes, I know there were two shooters, but I think if someone stopped one of them, it would encourage another person(s) to stop the other one.

Humans have three reactions to danger, “Fight-Flight-Freeze.” Out of all 56 people in that library, you would think at least one of them would fight, but they all froze. Yes, I know Daniel pushed a chair at Eric, but I mean actually getting up and trying to take their guns or tackling them. Shootings have been stopped that way before.

I don’t blame anyone for not trying to stop them, but I’m kind of surprised no one did. Especially when we have witnesses talking about how Eric was dizzy and disoriented.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193507
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 6:16 am

Because they were scared kids who had no idea what was going on. Why didn’t the adults try to stop them instead of hiding in the computer room and under the desk?

There were two different shootings recently where someone tried to fight back and they ended up dying.

Contribution Points : 67978
Forum Reputation : 35

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 7:27 am

The students under the tables had poor vision, and at most could only hear where E&D roughly were. A lot of them probably weren't even sure there were only two shooters.

Jennifer Doyle even admits when they appeared at her table she initially thought they were cops and were being rescued.
Back to top Go down
noodlesoldier

noodlesoldier

Contribution Points : 43171
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 7:57 am

Yeah I agree with previous posts. Number one, they were just kids, scared shitless. I don't even know how I'd act myself in that kind of situation, but I'm 100% sure I'd be frozen to the ground in horror. And you can't really have a good overview on where they are and where they were aiming or moving around, also there were two of them. So in a case of jumping them, you'd have to be two persons. You're not really trained to that kind of mental thinking when in fear as a teenager. ESPECIALLY not in fear.
As for today though, as a grown person and if we put fear aside for a sec, I would've definitely jumped one of them. Beat them unconscious.  Sock them in the head with a chair. Anything. At any given moment I wouldn't hesitate. Would've been so nice to have them fucking arrested.
Back to top Go down
cakeman

cakeman

Contribution Points : 80772
Forum Reputation : 1491

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 1:23 pm

It does seem they could have been stopped a la Kip Kinkel if they were simply rushed, and I trust I'm not alone in wondering what could have been done and why nothing was.

They were told to get under the tables. Wouldn't surprise me if that was for say police to shoot at the perps. In other words, that by staying under the tables they felt they were helping somehow.  There were two shooters so if you rushed one the other would shoot you, etc.  Fair point by Szabo that they were already hiding when they came in.

As for what to do in that situation, best move I can imagine is 1999 CRT computer monitor to the head. I wonder if fear of something like that is why Dylan walked backwards for a time when going in between the computers.

Unsure how many say Eric was disoriented. Bree who was right after the nose injury and Evan who is all over the place are the only ones which come to mind, but that could be a failure of memory.
Back to top Go down
Icarius

Contribution Points : 50053
Forum Reputation : 28

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 6:20 pm

Because they were a bunch of pussy...

Fighting is always the good answer...

3 people put gun in my face since the start of my life. I fight every one of them...
Back to top Go down
Onyx
Top Contributor
Onyx

Contribution Points : 49277
Forum Reputation : 378

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 7:29 pm

I think fighting a shooter is quite an act of sacrifice, and not many people are willing to sacrifice their safety and do something so risky.

Last edited by Onyx on Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Back to top Go down
Nessaj85

Nessaj85

Contribution Points : 43050
Forum Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Wow. So you're putting blame on the victims because they didn't "fight back"? Have you ever been near the type of guns that were used that day, do you know how powerful a tech 9 is?
Back to top Go down
dontknow43

Contribution Points : 64962
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 11:32 pm

Nessaj85 wrote:
Wow. So you're putting blame on the victims because they didn't "fight back"? Have you ever been near the type of guns that were used that day, do you know how powerful a tech 9 is?
Did you even read the original post?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2019 3:29 am

Nessaj85 wrote:
Not defending him by any means, but to be fair, TEC-9s are called "jam-o-matics" for a reason.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2019 11:37 am

Icarius wrote:
3 people put gun in my face since the start of my life. I fight every one of them...

The fact that you weren't shot to death says more about the people you allegedly fought than it does you.

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2019 11:46 am

N/A

Last edited by Duluth on Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193507
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2019 12:47 pm

How many scared teenage kids would know that? They would look at that gun and say oh that’s a junk gun we’re definitely going to jump the 6 foot four kid who is screaming at us holding two guns and throwing pipe bombs....

Contribution Points : 41900
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2019 2:16 am

dontknow43 wrote:
Nessaj85 wrote:

I would be more worried about the two shotguns they had, the tec9 is just a 9mm pistol.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2019 11:16 am

00buckshot wrote:
dontknow43 wrote:
Nessaj85 wrote:

I would be more worried about the two shotguns they had, the tec9 is just a 9mm pistol.

>just a 9mm pistol
I mean 9mm can still kill someone if you shoot them with it so I'm not sure what your point is.

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2019 6:35 pm

They were scared kids. That's the reason no one stopped them. The kids didn't know anything about the types of guns they had, how they could be overpowered, etc. It's easy to claim that any one of us would try to be the hero in a situation like this, but the truth is you don't really know how you would act until you are put into that situation.
Back to top Go down
jada887

jada887

Contribution Points : 75803
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2019 10:11 pm

noodlesoldier wrote:
Anything. At any given moment I wouldn't hesitate. Would've been so nice to have them fucking arrested.

I apologize if this question is a little silly, but wasn't the library divided into two sections, and the boys only entered the one closest to the double doors? Or am I mistaking the library for the cafeteria? I can see the police diagrams in my mind but those mental images are blurry after so many years.
Back to top Go down
Nessaj85

Nessaj85

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2019 1:02 am

I think the library had classrooms connected to it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2019 3:24 am

N/A

Last edited by Duluth on Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124349
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2019 1:15 pm

Here is an overall image of the Library

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Icarius

Contribution Points : 50053
Forum Reputation : 28

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2019 1:25 pm

Because staying on the floor doing absolutly nothing is a way better tactics...I prefers doing what right than what have the best chance of success. That a weak mentality to calculate your better chance of surviving....

If people would be willing to sacrifice, we would have less mass shooting. Their little life is so fucking important...u know... so important that they can not even fight for it...

Those people are already dead in my opinion...

Ps we will all die, in the end, anyway. Better to live like a man...
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2019 4:16 pm

Icarius wrote:
If people would be willing to sacrifice, we would have less mass shooting. Their little life is so fucking important...u know... so important that they can not even fight for it...

Those people are already dead in my opinion...

Ps we will all die, in the end, anyway. Better to live like a man...

Funny, I think a lot of mass shooters would actually agree with you.

Also I'm still right. The fact that you supposedly fought off three different people who pointed a gun at you just means you're lucky. You could've easily been killed if any of those same people had just shot you without thinking.

Nessaj85

Nessaj85

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2019 9:22 am

Icarius wrote:
Because they were a bunch of pussy...

Fighting is always the good answer...

You sound like a little pu**y I doubt you've seen a REAL gun let alone been threatened with one, cause if you had you wouldn't be asking why a bunch of kids didn't fight back. I've seen, held and shot REAL guns, I've seen a family member murdered by a gun, he thought he was safe because there was a metal security door between him and the person pointing the gun at him, he wasn't safe, the person shot him thru the door hitting him 5 times. Those kids murdered at columbine were scared KIDS who didn't know wtf was happening.but they were smarter than you they knew that there were TWO idiots with guns if they tried to lunge at or stop one of them the other shooter would kill them and it would accomplish nothing it wouldn't have stopped E&D probably would've caused more damage.
Back to top Go down
Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

Contribution Points : 64358
Forum Reputation : 446

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2019 12:51 pm

The kids need to pull off what the Muslims did when Baruch Goldstein shot up that mosque.

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2019 1:31 pm

N/A

Last edited by Duluth on Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
true_crime

true_crime

Contribution Points : 58824
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2019 1:54 pm

sororityalpha wrote:
Here is an overall image of the Library

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Those kids were sitting ducks. The only other doors to connecting rooms (within the library) were close to the front where E & D walked in and were definitely in their sight.

Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

Contribution Points : 64358
Forum Reputation : 446

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2019 2:36 pm

Duluth wrote:
Primate Murder wrote:
The kids need to pull off what the Muslims did when Baruch Goldstein shot up that mosque.
Most of the people in the Mosque were apparently males of military age. There was also around 800 people present, as morning prayer was underway.

I'd say that they probably had a better chance at disarming Goldstein than students would've had disarming Eric and Dylan.

PostSubject: Re: Why did no one in the library try to stop them?   Why did no one in the library try to stop them? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why did no one in the library try to stop them?
Page 1 of 1