Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter

Go down 
AuthorMessage
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120703
Forum Reputation : 3191

John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter Empty
PostSubject: John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter   John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 7:51 pm

Just sharing another little known case that came to my attention today.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
John C. Salvi III (March 2, 1972 – November 29, 1996) was a schizophrenic abortion opponent who carried out fatal shootings at two abortion facilities in Brookline, Massachusetts, on December 30, 1994. The shootings killed two and wounded five. An insanity defense at his trial was not successful and he was convicted of two counts of murder. He died in 1996 in what was officially ruled a suicide in his jail cell.
[…]
Among those injured was part-time security guard Richard J. Seron and another employee, Jane Sauer. Seron returned fire. Seron himself was shot four times in the arms, and once in the left hand. Salvi then dropped the black duffle bag, which contained a gun, receipts from a gun dealer in New Hampshire, and 700 rounds of ammunition. He fled in his Audi.
[...]
The prosecution used the testimony of Bridgewater State Hospital psychologist Joel Haycock, who spent eleven days with Salvi out of his sixty days under observation. Haycock determined that during the time of his observation of Salvi in a hospital setting, Salvi had no hallucinations, could speak in a non-digressive linear way, and was capable of understanding guilt. Haycock observed no signs of psychotic disorder during his time with Salvi. Haycock also asserted that Salvi had no mental disease at the time of the crime and was competent to stand trial.

I find it interesting how, since the security guard shot back at him, you could argue this as an example of a "good guy with a gun" saving the day. I also find the testimony of the psychologist to be somewhat illuminating; Salvi was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, but the doctor asserts that Salvi was sane. I think that means either a) the psychologist was full of shit, or b) certain people in the mental health field are far too eager to dismiss extremist opinions as the result of mental illness.

PostSubject: Re: John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter   John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 12:47 am

So, I'm guessing his choice to shoot up an abortion clinic had something to do with his opinions on abortion? Was he like super careful with the shooting or an excellent shot? I'm just saying, what happens if he shot a pregnant woman? Not trying to logic the shooting here, just an observation that its stupid plan.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter   John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 11:46 pm

hvernon wrote:
So, I'm guessing his choice to shoot up an abortion clinic had something to do with his opinions on abortion? Was he like super careful with the shooting or an excellent shot? I'm just saying, what happens if he shot a pregnant woman? Not trying to logic the shooting here, just an observation that its stupid plan.

To answer your questions, yes the shooting had to do with abortion (he shouted religious phrases and attended pro-life marches), by all accounts he appeared to be a terrible shot, missing half the time and accidentally shooting pro-life protestors gathered outside the clinic, and I'm guessing that if he had shot a pregnant woman he'd either find a way to rationalize it to himself (reasoning that if they're pregnant and at an abortion clinic that means they're getting an abortion, and therefore it doesn't matter) or write it off as collateral damage.

It is, indeed, a stupid plan, and if he really was a schizophrenic it would go a long way to explaining why he was so thoughtless in his planning and execution.

PostSubject: Re: John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter   John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2020 7:02 am

N/A

Last edited by Duluth on Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter   John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2020 8:35 am

There’s a lot of info about the case on here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also, his suicide was weird (I know that's possible, but still). From Wikipedia: “Salvi was found dead in his prison cell at MCI Cedar Junction in Walpole, Massachusetts with a garbage bag over his head tied around his neck on November 29, 1996. Salvi was found under his bed with his hands and feet tied up. The official report states that Salvi's death was a suicide.”

But then again, there’s also this: “Shortly before Christmas last year (that would be on 1995), Salvi slipped a noose made from a pillow case around his neck at the Norfolk County Jail. A guard spotted him before he was harmed. While Salvi's lawyers said it was a serious suicide attempt, the prison authorities disagreed.”
-Article: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter   John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2021 10:27 am

Alex213 wrote:
There’s a lot of info about the case on here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I went and read the interview to determine his competency, and Jesus Christ, now I know why he was labeled a schizophrenic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter   John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

John Salvi, abortion clinic shooter
Page 1 of 1