Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why did the parents not communicate?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Why did the parents not communicate? Empty
PostSubject: Why did the parents not communicate?   Why did the parents not communicate? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2020 5:21 pm

One thing I find hard to understand is that the Klebolds and the Harrises were not in contact in the early days, weeks and months after the shooting. Sue writes in her book:

"We were not in communication with the Harrises. The one person in the world who might have been able to understand what I was going through was Tom [...]"

"Tom and I sat on two of the chairs arranged in rows in a room set up for a formal presentation. I thought about the Harrises, and about the other Columbine families. Sitting on the same chairs at different times seemed to be as close as we could be to each other." (The presentation was held in October of 1999.)

I mean, they were sitting in the same boat, knew each other for years, had met on several occasions and went out for dinner to celebrate the successful completion of the diversion program. I would probably have called the other parents to find out what was going on even before I would have called a lawyer.

Did the lawyers advise them not to contact each other or does Sue deliberately not mention more details in order to protect the privacy of the Harrises?

Of course, people react differently, especially in extreme situations like this, but I think this lack of communication is odd somehow.
Back to top Go down
1Mare1

1Mare1

Contribution Points : 61819
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Why did the parents not communicate?   Why did the parents not communicate? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 7:59 am

This was already discussed in the earlier threads, and if I recall correctly they were not allowed to contact them during the investigation. I assume Sue didn't want to expose Harrises to unwanted publicity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did the parents not communicate?   Why did the parents not communicate? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2020 3:03 pm

Oh, sorry, I did not find the earlier discussion. Thanks for your answer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why did the parents not communicate?   Why did the parents not communicate? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why did the parents not communicate?
Page 1 of 1