Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why are there so many "fangirls"?

Go down 
+9
Stupidbitch000000
Primate Murder
Babydoll
milennialrebelette
REBELVODKA
Ligeya
Vwaifu
sororityalpha
1Mare1
13 posters
AuthorMessage

Why are there so many "fangirls"? Empty
PostSubject: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 9:46 am

Hey, first, I am sorry if that already had been discussed, I just didn't found it through the search function. If yes, it would be nice, if you would link it.
My question is, why are there so many "fangirls" of Dylan Klebold or Eric Harris? I think it is okay, when you are interested in the motives of them, but some of them just go too far.
I think a lot of you know that already, but what is the reason? I myself am interested in it, and partially understand their "hate" or "anger" at humanity. But what they did was wrong, that is sure.
I look forward for answers Smile And sorry if my english is bad, I am not a native english speaker.
Greets, RL1337
Back to top Go down
1Mare1

1Mare1

Contribution Points : 62119
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 12:13 pm

I see it as the side effect of popularity of the case and just discussing crime in general. If the case has more mystery and notoriety to it, people will research it more. The distribution of information regarding the perpetrators will attract researchers, but will also shine a light for individuals with empathetic, perhaps even romantic sentiments for the perpetrators in some cases. Columbine is one of the examples, you have the vast majority of researchers who are discussing the shooting and gathering knowledge for the sake of getting answers as there are still plenty of unanswered and unaddressed questions. On the other hand there's the vocal minority that romanticises/idolises the two to the extremes , some even condone their actions and buy merchandise that portrays them (Some deranged minds even get Columbine tattoos).

What makes Eric and Dylan so attractive to these individuals is their age (They are teenagers, like most of their fangirls/fanboys) and their well described personalities. Of course, some of the fans will just worship the two because of their physical appearance, as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 1:55 pm

I think it has partly to do with the fact that they can project all their fantasies onto Eric and Dylan. It is basically the same concept as with boy bands. Besides, many girls/women like bad boys and mass murderers are the ultimate bad guys.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124624
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 2:02 pm

4 words to answer your question - Because people are weird.

Also, here are a couple more threads about fangirls:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 4:15 pm

No clue, its a bit pathetic in my opinion. They will learn with time.
Back to top Go down
Vwaifu

Contribution Points : 36162
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 11:50 pm

Tumblr. Before tumblr the “fandom” was mostly extremists, would-be terrorists, edgy folks looking for an outlet for their bullying-related anger, and serious researchers—not infatuated fangirls. Tumblr is full of teen fangirls. Somehow Columbine caught on and became a trendy, aesthetic thing. Now, Columbine fangirling is banned on Tumblr.

As for the ones with crushes: There are multiple levels. Some, it’s mere physical attraction. These ones usually keep it in perspective and don’t go overboard. Others, it’s a superficial infatuation with over-generalized personality traits of one of the shooters. These types lack self awareness, end up dating guys who fit the description and end up not actually liking them very much—they are drawn to the type but the daily reality of living with someone like that is contrary to their true relationship goals. Others are attracted because they themselves are genuinely and hazardously emotionally ill. Some of them might have realistically been blissful as partners to Eric or Dylan...but that is not a good thing, or a thing to be proud of! I.e, no, you do not want to be Mallory Knox, she was a Very Bad Person and you are not supposed to look up to her.
Back to top Go down
Ligeya

Contribution Points : 42974
Forum Reputation : 53

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2020 1:51 am

I dont know a single one fangirl who went as far as some of the fanboys did, including Lanza (i know he wasn't a fan of Eric and Dylan, but he was a devoted researcher), Randy Stair, Roslyakov, Suzano shooters and dozens of others.

milennialrebelette, Raposa, qwertyu, Vwaifu and AZ20 like this post

Back to top Go down
REBELVODKA

REBELVODKA

Contribution Points : 47839
Forum Reputation : 125

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2020 7:43 am

Edgy girls, that's all

milennialrebelette

Contribution Points : 59940
Forum Reputation : 725

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 12:49 am

Ligeya wrote:
I dont know a single one fangirl who went as far as some of the fanboys did, including Lanza (i know he wasn't a fan of Eric and Dylan, but he was a devoted researcher), Randy Stair, Roslyakov, Suzano shooters and dozens of others.

I do agree that pre teen and teen girl expressions of sexuality get dismissed and a bad rap far more than more intense and dangerous male Fandom so to speak. Very few female Columbiners have committed mass shootings compared to male fans. Yet the teen girls get mocked the most.

I'm not saying I condone worshiping Eric and Dylan. As someone who works with at risk youth I can see some pathologies at play in this type of behavior. But the dismissal of teen girls fan culture gets a bad rap unfairly, more than the male version

Last edited by milennialrebelette on Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Screamingophelia, Raposa, qwertyu and Vwaifu like this post

Back to top Go down
Vwaifu

Contribution Points : 36162

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 6:16 pm

milennialrebelette wrote:
Ligeya wrote:

I do agree that pre teen and teen girl expressions of sexuality get dismissed and a bad rap far more than more intense and dangerous male Fandom so to speak. Very few female Columbiners have committed mass shootings compared to male fans. Yet the teen girls get mocked the most.

I'm not saying I condone worshiping Eric and Dylan. As someone who works with at risk youth I can see some pathologies at play in this type of behavior. But the dismissal of teen girls fan culture gets a bad rap
unfairly, more than the male version

Not sure ”bad boy crush” is even accurate to describe all of them...interesting how no matter how much of a mancrush some of the fanboys have on Eric or Dylan, (ahem: Auvinen) nobody calls them hybristo groupies. Can aspiring mass murderers rightfully be classified as hybristos if their homicidal plots happened first and their infatuation afterward? Is a bank robber a hybristophile if they’re attracted to other bank robbers over the shared affinity for heists? Is a black hat hacker who likes other black hat hackers a “cybercriminal groupie” for it?

Raposa likes this post

Back to top Go down
Babydoll

Babydoll

Contribution Points : 40667
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 8:35 pm

Only thing I know is I can't them lol.
Back to top Go down
Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

Contribution Points : 64633
Forum Reputation : 446

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2020 1:35 am

Don't know tbh.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Pic related

In all seriousness though, it might have something to do with looks and age.

Stupidbitch000000

Contribution Points : 36129

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2020 6:31 am

It's the unknown aspect, the "I could have changed them" type of attitude, young girls have always liked the bad boy thing, I believe that's why so many women get into abusive relationships.

SandraSmit19

Contribution Points : 103594
Forum Reputation : 235

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2021 12:32 pm

You know, I thought 'fangirls' for Columbine were bad. Try watching some videos about the Menendez brothers. Holy cow, those girls are delusional Shocked

remrem25

Contribution Points : 45510

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2021 1:02 pm

Obviously not understanding the gravity of these situations. Personally I find it disgusting

Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

Contribution Points : 61464
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2021 5:54 pm

Ligeya wrote:
Sol Pais and Lindsay Souvannarath come to mind. Lindsay and her boyfriend were arrested for planning a mass shooting in 2015 and they both idolized Eric and Dylan. I'm not too sure on Sols case but from what information I have seen, she did go to Colorado with the intent of shooting up Columbine but commited suicide before she could. She was in love with Eric and that is clearly seen on her website (which is suprisingly still up).

D0mino

Contribution Points : 30155

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2021 10:01 pm

I don't think the extreme fangirls understand the severity of murders/shootings. Most likely, these fangirls don't understand the feeling of losing a loved one to an act of violence because they have never experienced such a thing themselves, so they can't really put into perspective that the people they idolize actually murdered people and how terrible that is. I say the extreme ones because I'm sure the majority of fangirls just think people like Eric or Dylan are attractive and can relate to aspects of them (being bullied, for example) but realize that what they did was wrong (Maybe I'm just being optimistic about this part though.)

Other times, I think some look up to them and fantasize about committing shootings like they did, sadly.

There's probably a lot of different reasons for fangirls though. I've heard people say it's a savior complex sort of thing and they think that they could have "changed" the shooters, if they were there.

lognifiiskurk likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so many "fangirls"?   Why are there so many "fangirls"? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why are there so many "fangirls"?
Page 1 of 1