Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
myshame

Contribution Points : 75319
Forum Reputation : 0

Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine?   Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2021 10:51 am

Yeah the Michael Moore documentary.

I don't see it as an anti-gun polemic as much as a free form video essay. Yes it doesn't teach people much about Columbine either, but that wasn't the intent.

I just view it as something that's continuously relevant. Even for something released in 2002.

Employer_Square dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
Saoradh

Saoradh

Contribution Points : 38354
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine?   Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2021 5:41 pm

Just re-watched "Bowling For Columbine" and still haven't changed my view, that I hate it! 19-years later.

Employer_Square and SalineDream like this post

garbagetalker1 dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
Sarin Gas Attack

Sarin Gas Attack

Contribution Points : 65548
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine?   Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 11:39 pm

I've seen it a few times in the past few years, and I do agree with you about it feeling like an essay. It explores several topics, but never answers anything—something it never set out to do. I can appreciate its good techniques and strong appeal to emotion (even if it relies on the latter a bit too much).

However, it lacks a central theme (not even "what societal issues could have caused the Columbine shooting"). Because its lack of a central theme, it often feels as if it's bouncing between topics at times and hoping one resonates with the viewer. I know that the only topic that stuck with me to this day is regarding the 24-hour news cycle and the motto of "blood sells" leading to fear. Perhaps this is because, with the other topics, I either disagreed with what was trying to be presented, or I thought they were too tangential to really matter. Could probably do a long in-depth analysis on this film if I really wanted to.

Overall, it's not completely terrible, but it should absolutely not be treated as a Columbine documentary.

Top Contributor
Mr Bubbless

Contribution Points : 39521
Forum Reputation : 731

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine?   Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2021 3:14 am

Bowling for Columbine is an insipid propaganda flick rife with disinformation and Moore's insufferable attitude.

Sarin Gas Attack, Sufficient-weight and SalineDream like this post

Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76786
Forum Reputation : 275

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine?   Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2021 6:44 pm

He had the best of intentions, and I think he was less about calling for gun control than for asking why we're all into guns so much, and I think most individuals in America really do have a hero complex--or at least, I wouldn't be *surprised* if that really were the case--"temporarily embarrassed millionaires" and all--you can see for yourself in all the stupid anti-vaccine, let's-try-invermectin, QAnon-is-the-truth, stop-the-steal redneck heroism crap we've experienced in the last couple of years--and that inspires lots more people to buy guns than in some calmer-minded European country--but...it's not really a great film. I'm no conservative but it often seemed to me as though Moore was playing off of a lot of easy cynicism and easy emotions than coming up with a really smart bulletproof argument or anything like that. A "romp," in other words--something that would have appealed to me when I was 19 but not when I'm 38. Which I am.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine?   Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone here actually *like* Bowling for Columbine?
Page 1 of 1