Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

List of Massacres in Europe

Go down 
+2
lognifiiskurk
dyonqqr
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

Contribution Points : 61189
Forum Reputation : 175

List of Massacres in Europe  Empty
PostSubject: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 7:13 pm

I saw that [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] had made a list detailing attacks in Japan, China and Korea so I decided to make a list for the UK. The UK (fortunately) does not have many massacres occur and so it is a lot less talked about in terms of mass shootings/attacks. It also has a lot less attacks committed by a lone gunman/attacker, with most of the ones on this list being fueled by political or religious motives, such as Islamic Terrorism or the IRA.
Without more talking, here is the list (note: I made this late at night so my research may not be as thorough as I would like it to be).
I also plan to make other lists like this one with other European Countries (Germany, France, Finland, Spain, etc).
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by lognifiiskurk on Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

QuestionMark, Killisaki, dyonqqr, Kaynhyde and LucienBarminswaAlexander like this post

Back to top Go down
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

Contribution Points : 40484

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 7:31 pm

This is really interesting, and I agree, Europe is a relatively ignored topic. America always stands in the unfortunate limelight despite everything going on elsewhere.
I like your research and the fact you're intending to make more. Good job, this is the motivation I needed to go and fix the holes in my own lists.

QuestionMark and lognifiiskurk like this post

Back to top Go down
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 7:33 pm

Thanks for the compliments. I intend to do Germany next as massacres there are interesting to research and given the fact I have a ton of free time at the moment, it should be completed fairly soon!

QuestionMark likes this post

Back to top Go down
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2021 11:18 am

Here is the list of massacres in Germany. There are a lot more mass stabbings in Germany than I expected because the main places you hear about mass stabbings occurring are China and Japan. There are also more attacks fueled by religious motives, although they only really start with the Hamburg Stabbing in 2016.

QuestionMark, Killisaki, dyonqqr and LucienBarminswaAlexander like this post

Back to top Go down
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2021 3:17 pm

I hope you don't mind I took the liberty of making a few lists for some European countries:
I can't find a single one for Iceland.

QuestionMark, Killisaki, lognifiiskurk and LucienBarminswaAlexander like this post

Back to top Go down
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2021 5:36 pm

Those look really good! That saves me some time making ones for those countries. I'm thinking of doing Russia next, as some noteable attacks have happened there (Kerch Polytechnic Shooting, Moscow Metro bombing, Belsen School Hostage Crisis)

dyonqqr

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2021 7:12 pm

lognifiiskurk wrote:
Those look really good! That saves me some time making ones for those countries. I'm thinking of doing Russia next, as some noteable attacks have happened there (Kerch Polytechnic Shooting, Moscow Metro bombing, Belsen School Hostage Crisis)
Thank you, and that's a great idea! I started something like that, but got overwhelmed, but I'm sure you'll do better. It presents the slight challenge of deciding if you're doing Russia as a political entity or the landmass itself, which would include the USSR, Russian Empire, etc.
Here's a few resources. I also go on the Wikipedia "List of rampage killers," click on all the links on the right side that are applicable, and ctrl+f for the country. The articles for attacks on primary, secondary, and post-secondary schools help too.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

lognifiiskurk likes this post

Back to top Go down
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2021 7:17 pm

Thanks for the resources. I have decided to narrow it down to mass shootings post-fall of the USSR as I think if I did mass shootings/general mass attacks during that time my spreadsheet would grow to an immeasurable size. I am also compiling all of my individual spreadsheets into one masterdoc so that when I am finished I don't have to find loads of individual files to find the right information for the specific country.

Kinkeloukaitis

Contribution Points : 44230
Forum Reputation : 102

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2021 7:44 pm

A large majority by Islamists.
Back to top Go down
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2021 10:37 am

Here is the list of massacres in Russia. I have specifically narrowed it down to mass shootings rather than general mass attacks although there are still some stabbings/bombings in there too. There are a lot of shootings of soldiers, especially in the 1990's, though I expect that to be partly due to the collapse of the USSR in 1991. Unfortunately, I could not find a lot of information for quite a lot of these shootings in relation to specific weapons/outcomes so I have just put "Unknown" for anything I could not find.

QuestionMark, dyonqqr and LucienBarminswaAlexander like this post

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2021 11:14 am

lognifiiskurk wrote:
There are a lot of shootings of soldiers, especially in the 1990's, though I expect that to be partly due to the collapse of the USSR in 1991.

I think that while this is part of it it's also more complex than this. The Russian military (and the Red Army before it) is sustained through conscription, and mental health awareness and treatment ranges from inadequate to nonexistent, so you're already playing with fire giving potentially thousands of troubled young men weapons every year. Add that to the fact that extreme hazing is commonplace and it's really no surprise that you get so many cases of soldiers rampaging.

lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2021 11:25 am

QuestionMark wrote:
lognifiiskurk wrote:
There are a lot of shootings of soldiers, especially in the 1990's, though I expect that to be partly due to the collapse of the USSR in 1991.

I think that while this is part of it it's also more complex than this. The Russian military (and the Red Army before it) is sustained through conscription, and mental health awareness and treatment ranges from inadequate to nonexistent, so you're already playing with fire giving potentially thousands of troubled young men weapons every year. Add that to the fact that %3B%20lit.%20reign%20of,the%20military%20forces%20of%20certain%20former%20Soviet%20Republics.]extreme hazing is commonplace and it's really no surprise that you get so many cases of soldiers rampaging.
With the motives for most of these attacks being bullying from higher ranking officers and mental health issues, I would agree with you that it is a lot deeper than what I originally thought.

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2021 7:02 pm

I hope you dont mind but I do a list with some massacres in Spain. It took me long time but here it is , it was a bit difficult because mass shootings/killings in Spain are not very frequent due to different factors (and the regulation of weapons) therefore it cost a little to gather the data. 

It also includes terrorist attacks.

Some Mass killings in Spain: 

Back to top Go down
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2021 6:17 am

margaflor wrote:
I hope you dont mind but I do a list with some massacres in Spain. It took me long time but here it is , it was a bit difficult because mass shootings/killings in Spain are not very frequent due to different factors (and the regulation of weapons) therefore it cost a little to gather the data. 

It also includes terrorist attacks.

Some Mass killings in Spain: 

I was wondering about Spanish Attacks, so this list is very informative. Good job on the research, finding information on a country that doesn't have as many mass shootings must take quite a bit of time.

DanielBryer

Contribution Points : 29828
Forum Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2022 11:38 am

I've never heard of the Crawley College Shooting. Also, you missed out the Monkseaton shooting.
Back to top Go down
LucienBarminswaAlexander

LucienBarminswaAlexander

Contribution Points : 7683
Forum Reputation : 95

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2023 1:36 am

Excellent thread.

PostSubject: Re: List of Massacres in Europe    List of Massacres in Europe  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

List of Massacres in Europe
Page 1 of 1