Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

If Eric and Dylan never met...

Go down 
+7
Watcher
bradt93
gumshoe
TheFragile
jettfyre80
JayJay
11 posters
AuthorMessage

Contribution Points : 93091
Forum Reputation : 1

If Eric and Dylan never met... Empty
PostSubject: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2014 8:19 pm

What if Eric stayed in New York and ylan stayed in Colorado?  Then would either of them commit an NBK-style shooting by themself?  As far as I know, E/D are the only school shooters that didn't act alone.  Could either of them have done it without the other?  Or were both of them just destined for disaster?
Back to top Go down
JayJay

Contribution Points : 96964
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2014 11:40 pm

There's another pair: Andrew Golden and Mitchell Johnson shot up a school in Arkansas in 1998. They survived and went to prison (and later got released).

According to Mitchell, Andrew got the idea for the shooting. He apparently was a character similar to Eric, with aggressive behaviour and a sense of grandiosity about himself. He was leading the preparation for the shooting, just like Eric.

Andrew was, unlike Dylan, a teen abused physically by his dad and sexually by another teen.

So, I think looking at the dynamic in those pairs (there are others as well) is really interesting to understand how things may have come up between Eric and Dylan.

I've been thinking Dylan had it in him to do a shooting but may not have organized things for a year in a methodical way if Eric had not been there. If he had gone shooting by himself, he would have been more impulsive.  It is also entirely possible he wouldn't have gone on killing by himself and would have chosen to commit suicide instead. Maybe Eric was that spark to action, a spur to killing, maybe Dylan needed to be with someone to go on a rampage, the way he wrote in his diary.

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)

tellecat and venustriste like this post

Back to top Go down
jettfyre80

Contribution Points : 94285

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 4:19 am

I don't think Eric would have done it if he had stayed in New York. Something about Littleton (or Columbine) pushed him over the edge. I can see him moving on in life and becoming a cop or something with authority.

Dylan probably would have committed suicide.

NEXT STEP UP and anna444 like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 4:56 am

I don't think either one of them would've done a shooting by themselves. I'm still of the opinion that Colorado 'broke' something in Eric that may not have caused that big of a problem if he'd stayed in NY. I'm almost certain that if issues did indeed arise they would appear later in his life and not with the same intensity. Dylan just feels to me like he lacked the coherence in the physical to actually get everything in order for such an event as a shooting. I've always seen him commit suicide, though. I can picture a future for Eric just fine, but I keep halting on Dylan somehow.  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
TheFragile

Contribution Points : 97084

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 4:04 pm

What if Dylan's parents had moved to California before purchasing the second house in Littleton? They would have never met each other.

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2014 1:52 am

TheFragile wrote:
What if Dylan's parents had moved to California before purchasing the second house in Littleton? They would have never met each other.

I think Dylan would have really liked California. I live in this wonderful state and it's very accepting and open minded. Plus I believe he would be staying in the Silicon valley area where there is a huge emphasis in computers and technology. He would have fit in just fine with all the other computer kids.
Back to top Go down
gumshoe

Contribution Points : 80681

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2022 12:44 pm

jettfyre80 wrote:
I don't think Eric would have done it if he had stayed in New York. Something about Littleton (or Columbine) pushed him over the edge. I can see him moving on in life and becoming a cop or something with authority.

If Eric had stayed in Plattsbourg, NY, I don't think he would have become a cop because he would have gotten a criminal record that would disqualify him from being a cop
. Or if Eric did become a cop, he would have been kicked off the force fairly soon. IMO, Eric had a criminal mind and was very much destined to get into trouble with the law wherever he lived.

I agree with you that if Dylan had never met Eric, he probably would have eventually committed suicide anyway, just without committing a massacre.

42099_4EVA and anna444 dislike this post

Back to top Go down
bradt93

Contribution Points : 91056
Forum Reputation : 255

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 12:45 am

jettfyre80 wrote:

Eric hated Columbine, but his dad refused to move and I thought that was ignorant. His son clearly didn't like that place and was miserable.

42099_4EVA likes this post

anna444 dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
bradt93

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 12:47 am

Let's face it, New York people would've been more accepting of Eric's lifestyle. Colorado is filled with nothing, but a bunch of hicks. Maybe that's not the case today, but it was back in the 90s.

QuestionMark dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
bradt93

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 12:49 am

gumshoe wrote:
jettfyre80 wrote:

If Eric had stayed in Plattsbourg, NY, I don't think he would have become a cop because he would have gotten a criminal record that would disqualify him from being a cop
. Or if Eric did become a cop, he would have been kicked off the force fairly soon.  IMO, Eric had a criminal  mind and was very much destined to get into trouble with the law wherever he lived.

I agree with you that if Dylan had never met Eric, he probably would have eventually committed suicide anyway, just without committing a massacre.
Well, didn't you see the video of Eric spinning his phone on the cafeteria table? That should've been a sign he felt out of place at Columbine.

QuestionMark dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
Watcher

Contribution Points : 24323
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 11:40 am

I think Dylan would go on a killing spree alone and would kill, like, two times more people than they killed together.

QuestionMark and 42099_4EVA like this post

Back to top Go down
venustriste

venustriste

Contribution Points : 12350

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2022 1:19 pm

i think dylan would have killed himself tbh

Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120403
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2022 4:38 pm

gumshoe wrote:
Or if Eric did become a cop, he would have been kicked off the force fairly soon.

This comment made me think of someone photoshopping Eric's head over Derek Chauvin's. LOL

gumshoe wrote:
IMO, Eric had a criminal  mind and was very much destined to get into trouble with the law wherever he lived.

I don't doubt that he would've acted like a delinquent but I think him getting in trouble is up in the air since the crime that eventually did land him in deep shit was a break in that he and Dylan were largely caught by chance over. If he managed to get away with all or most of his transgressions Eric would probably be no different, at least on the surface, from millions of young adults with a rebellious streak.

bradt93 wrote:
Let's face it, New York people would've been more accepting of Eric's lifestyle. Colorado is filled with nothing, but a bunch of hicks. Maybe that's not the case today, but it was back in the 90s.

I hate to burst your bubble but I grew up in New York and there are plenty of hicks. This aside I find it highly questionable that you'd characterize Littleton as a hick town when it was a suburb of Denver, one of the largest cities in Colorado. I'm also not sure what you think Eric's "lifestyle" was or what group of people in New York would be "more accepting" of it (or indeed what they would even be accepting of), or why you seem to think the bullies at Columbine not liking Eric's "lifestyle" was why they picked on him (as opposed to just being aggressive jackasses who liked to lord over others).

bradt93

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2022 9:43 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
gumshoe wrote:
Or if Eric did become a cop, he would have been kicked off the force fairly soon.

This comment made me think of someone photoshopping Eric's head over Derek Chauvin's.  LOL

gumshoe wrote:
IMO, Eric had a criminal  mind and was very much destined to get into trouble with the law wherever he lived.

I don't doubt that he would've acted like a delinquent but I think him getting in trouble is up in the air since the crime that eventually did land him in deep shit was a break in that he and Dylan were largely caught by chance over. If he managed to get away with all or most of his transgressions Eric would probably be no different, at least on the surface, from millions of young adults with a rebellious streak.

bradt93 wrote:

I hate to burst your bubble but I grew up in New York and there are plenty of hicks. This aside I find it highly questionable that you'd characterize Littleton as a hick town when it was a suburb of Denver, one of the largest cities in Colorado. I'm also not sure what you think Eric's "lifestyle" was or what group of people in New York would be "more accepting" of it (or indeed what they would even be accepting of), or why you seem to think the bullies at Columbine not liking Eric's "lifestyle" was why they picked on him (as opposed to just being aggressive jackasses who liked to lord over others).
Well, when you have a racist like Rocky and a fat redneck like Evan Todd who the only he worshipped was football, yea it was pretty much a hick town. Evan Todd they picked on them, because they were dressed in black and they didn't "approve" of what they were like it was any of their d**n business!!

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120403
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2022 11:31 am

bradt93 wrote:

Well, when you have a racist like Rocky and a fat redneck like Evan Todd who the only he worshipped was football, yea it was pretty much a hick town.

Do you think only hillbillies and rednecks can be prejudiced football jocks and vice versa? In my experience “hick” is synonymous with “white trash”, which isn’t what I’d call the student body at Columbine. Most people who lived in the area seemed to be solidly middle class. I’m not disputing that the people there were close minded and perhaps prejudiced in many ways and I do believe Rocky and Evan Todd were pricks, but that doesn’t mean they were hicks.

bradt93 wrote:
Evan Todd they picked on them, because they were dressed in black and they didn't "approve" of what they were like it was any of their d**n business!!

Evan Todd also said Eric and Dylan were gay and wore makeup, I think he was making shit up to justify his bad behavior. If I remember correctly people picked on Eric largely because he was short and comparatively weak, and Dylan for being lanky and clumsy, rather than because they wore black (although I will concede that Eric wrote that people made fun of how he dressed). I don’t think prejudice motivated bullying at Columbine, I think it was motivated far more by simple cruelty and impunity. I actually think that makes it worse.

I’m not trying to be mean in my disagreements by the way, I actually appreciate the discussion.

42099_4EVA and anna444 like this post

Back to top Go down
Fedz-Manz

Fedz-Manz

Contribution Points : 19909
Forum Reputation : 156

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2022 5:14 pm

no... I would have done it for them

Rest In Peace, Pekka-Eric Auvinen (June 4th, 1989 - November 7th, 2007)

"I hate you and the way you are! You all have to die! Since I was 6, you've all been taking the piss out of me! Now you're going to pay! [...] Finally, I want to apologise for all this to the people who mean something to me or who were ever good to me! I'm gone" - Bastian Bosse 

"I guess it just wasn't there night" - Richard Benjamin Speck 

"There's a devil in me there's a devil in all of use" - Sidney Charles Cooke

"My favourite comedy is the Christchurch livestream that part where he shoots the things is funny as hell" - Andrews Bearing Barwick

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
mflergen

mflergen

Contribution Points : 13949
Forum Reputation : 200

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2023 4:52 am

JayJay wrote:
There's another pair: Andrew Golden and Mitchell Johnson shot up a school in Arkansas in 1998. They survived and went to prison (and later got released).

According to Mitchell, Andrew got the idea for the shooting. He apparently was a character similar to Eric, with aggressive behaviour and a sense of grandiosity about himself. He was leading the preparation for the shooting, just like Eric.

I just read about the shooting on March 25, 1998.
Eric started keeping his diary about a month later.
This is just my guess, but what if Eric and Dylan saw a news story about a school shooting where 4 people and 1 teacher died and thought: "Ha, if we did it, we would do it right", and further began to promote this thought?
In addition, they had already trauma in connection with the break-in of the van, and Eric began to take medication in March.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If Eric and Dylan never met...   If Eric and Dylan never met... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If Eric and Dylan never met...
Page 1 of 1