Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sarin Gas Attack

Sarin Gas Attack

Contribution Points : 64998
Forum Reputation : 0

Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs Empty
PostSubject: Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs   Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 1:07 am

I don't believe I've ever seen this talked about before, so I thought that I may as well share this conclusion I came to. Everyone has seen the pipe bombs exploding on the CCTV footage, and as a reference, I've attached a frame of the most visible one. In it, you can still see these glowing fragments that fly away from blast site. These fragments are the basis of why I'm posting this. I always used to think that they were hot metal fragments; after all, that's how they were depicted in Zero Hour. But, I came to the conclusion that these are not metal fragments, but rather, pyrotechnic stars.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'll explain my reasoning here: To start, the mere existence of these fragments is unique to these bombs, and white-hot metal is never seen in any bomb (if the metal is thin enough, it can get hot enough to burn and glow as it shoots away, though, but that's not what's seen here). As well as that, the behavior of the fragments is unlike what one would expect from bomb shrapnel: they're slow and fly in an arc, don't travel that far, and stay glowing for a decently-long time. Finally, the main material used in making the pipe bombs was sourced from fireworks that contain a lot of these stars, and I don't think that separating these out was much of a priority. Also worth noting is that the crickets that are thrown do not have these fragments, and you can see a distinct lack of them with the bomb thrown near Mr. Kritzer at 11:27 (this bomb still does detonate, though, and it causes the camera to shake from a fair amount of distance).

I could get way further into the topic about their bombs overall in another post, but I don't want to violate the rules about bomb-making, so I'll just leave it at that. Let me know your thoughts! Very Happy

Mr Bubbless and Sufficient-weight like this post

Back to top Go down
Mr Bubbless
Top Contributor
Mr Bubbless

Contribution Points : 38996
Forum Reputation : 731

PostSubject: Re: Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs   Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 2:44 am

They weren't the most competent bomb-makers. Most of the crime scene photos depicting the pipe bombs shows that they only partially detonated, and all of the explosion came out of one pipe end, possibly due to low-quality powder being used to construct them. I believe those sparks would just be the intense heat from the gunpowder (or flash powder) being expelled out of the pipe.

Sarin Gas Attack likes this post

Back to top Go down
Koltin
Off Topic Moderator, Discord Admin & Top Contributor
Koltin

Contribution Points : 104387
Forum Reputation : 143

PostSubject: Re: Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs   Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 5:30 am

Low quality black powder and leftover pyrotechnics guessing from bottle rockets. Black powder is also hygroscopic that's also a factor.

And destiny is proving to be absent from my life.

Sarin Gas Attack and Mr Bubbless like this post

Back to top Go down
Sarin Gas Attack

Sarin Gas Attack

PostSubject: Re: Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs   Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 11:52 am

Mr Bubbless wrote:
They weren't the most competent bomb-makers. Most of the crime scene photos depicting the pipe bombs shows that they only partially detonated, and all of the explosion came out of one pipe end, possibly due to low-quality powder being used to construct them. I believe those sparks would just be the intense heat from the gunpowder (or flash powder) being expelled out of the pipe.

They definitely weren't. I'm still trying to understand how they thought some of their bombs would actually work! Haha Some of the crime scene photos are misleading from my understanding, and the reason only one end is open is because of the way the EOD disarmed the bombs; they used a PAN disruptor to pierce a hole in an end cap, and you can see the cap still attached in the majority of them.

For others, they seemed to have removed the cap altogether:

Generally, black powder wouldn't separate and glow like that, even low quality black powder, because it would burn significantly faster as it's dispersed. Stars, however, burn slower and brightly.

Koltin wrote:
Low quality black powder and leftover pyrotechnics guessing from bottle rockets. Black powder is also hygroscopic that's also a factor.

I agree. They got it from fountains according to Eric's bomb-making document, which have powdered black powder. This doesn't burn nearly as fast as the black powder pellets one would find in lift charges, which explains the lackluster performance. Plus the black powder being hygroscopic, like you said, which would make it burn even slower.

Mr Bubbless likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mr Bubbless
Top Contributor
Mr Bubbless

PostSubject: Re: Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs   Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2021 6:42 am

Sarin Gas Attack wrote:
They definitely weren't. I'm still trying to understand how they thought some of their bombs would actually work! Haha

Dylan got the moniker "voDKa" because it was his drink of choice while constructing bombs.

Back to top Go down
Sarin Gas Attack

Sarin Gas Attack

PostSubject: Re: Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs   Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2021 11:21 pm

Mr Bubbless wrote:
Dylan got the moniker "voDKa" because it was his drink of choice while constructing bombs.
I didn't know that, but it definitely shows in their construction. I'm honestly surprised they managed to get any of them to fully explode.

Adzybear and Mr Bubbless like this post

Back to top Go down
Mr Bubbless
Top Contributor
Mr Bubbless

PostSubject: Re: Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs   Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2021 7:34 am

Sarin Gas Attack wrote:
Mr Bubbless wrote:
I didn't know that, but it definitely shows in their construction. I'm honestly surprised they managed to get any of them to fully explode.

It was sarcastic, but it isn't far from the truth...

Back to top Go down
Sarin Gas Attack

Sarin Gas Attack

PostSubject: Re: Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs   Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2021 11:59 pm

Mr Bubbless wrote:
Sarin Gas Attack wrote:
Mr Bubbless wrote:

It was sarcastic, but it isn't far from the truth...

Ah, curse me and my obliviousness.

Adzybear and Mr Bubbless like this post

Back to top Go down
Xtina
Top Contributor
Xtina

Contribution Points : 35392
Forum Reputation : 244

PostSubject: Re: Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs   Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2021 12:10 am

Mr Bubbless wrote:
Sarin Gas Attack wrote:
They definitely weren't. I'm still trying to understand how they thought some of their bombs would actually work! Haha

He actually had it as VoDkA. 

Sorry but I had to.

Mr Bubbless likes this post

Back to top Go down
Adzybear

Adzybear

Contribution Points : 60636
Forum Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs   Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 7:42 am

Yea, made from fireworks. They were prettier than deadly.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs   Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Glowing fragments of the pipe bombs
Page 1 of 1