Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97917
Forum Reputation : 440

Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off? Empty
PostSubject: Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off?   Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off? Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 5:54 pm

That's one thing I always wondered about. The cafeteria bombs did nto go ogg, and the car bombs afaik were not likley to go off either given how they made the times.

so, how come the Wadsworth Boulevard field diversion bombs went off? Did they have adifferent trigger mechanism?

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
deathmedic

Contribution Points : 102149
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off?   Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 8:28 am

I have wondered this too... Bu tif I remember correctly they more or less just fizzled... no big Boom or anything like that.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

Contribution Points : 83690
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off?   Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 9:39 am

From what I remember, the bombs all used a similar type of timer. the Wadsworth bomb was accidentally set off by a survey team. The story was, the crew was surveying the plot of land for a new store, and one of the workers disturbed the bomb. It then made a "whirring" noise and detonated, but it did not cause any injuries to the crew or others. This leads me to believe that their timed detonator might have malfunctioned and only went off when it was disturbed. Even then, it was only a partial detonation of the pipe bomb that was intended to damage the propane tank and make it explode.

The problem with using propane tanks as a bomb is that propane tanks are rather hard to puncture. Even when Eric was shooting directly at the one of the bombs in the cafeteria, it only partially exploded. This is good, because otherwise every backyard BBQ would have the potential to become a Michael Bay movie : )

Really, the biggest mistake the boys made was filling the propane tanks all full. That would leave very little room for the gas to vaporize in the tank. The vaporized gas is what ignites and expands quickly to create the explosive force. A full tank of any combustible fuel source is usually a lot safer than an almost empty one.

I remember there was a theory on the YUKU forum that the bomb detonator may have been made from a radio controlled car, which would create the whirring noise. But, if that were the case, then it would mean that someone would have to be close by to trigger the bomb via radio control. This would also lend credence to the impression that the diversion bomb might have had a motion trigger of some kind The report states that an unidentified person was found in a nearby drainage culvert, questioned and released. The report does not give an identity for this person though. I imagine there would have been more details about this, but the shooting was probably gathering attention by then.
Back to top Go down
ThoughtBox

ThoughtBox

Contribution Points : 84196
Forum Reputation : 13

PostSubject: Re: Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off?   Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 9:03 am

radaddio wrote:

The problem with using propane tanks as a bomb is that propane tanks are rather hard to puncture. Even when Eric was shooting directly at the one of the bombs in the cafeteria, it only partially exploded. This is good, because otherwise every backyard BBQ would have the potential to become a Michael Bay movie : )

Haha, thanks you made me laugh this morning with that comment! cheers

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off?   Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wadsworth Boulevard diversion bomb. Why did it go off?
Page 1 of 1