Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

James holmes sentenced to life in prison

Go down 
+11
eli27
PaintItBlack
afrrs
James411
aubre
tfsa47090
Jenn
Sabratha
Draw_It_White
Juicy Jazzy
boringguy
15 posters
AuthorMessage
boringguy

boringguy

Contribution Points : 82810
Forum Reputation : 25

James holmes sentenced to life in prison Empty
PostSubject: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 10:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"James holmes will get life in prison for killing 12 people and wounding more than 70 others. "

"A jury was unable Friday to reach a unanimous sentencing verdict, which results in life in prison without parole instead of the death penalty for Holmes, who had pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity in the 2012 shootings. He was convicted last month of 24 counts of first-degree murder -- two for each of the slain victims."
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 98669
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 11:19 pm

Nick being the jury foreman would have had such a huge influence in this decision.
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98143
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 5:42 am

Says it was a woman who said no to the death penalty.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97715
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 6:25 am

Radioactive_Clothing wrote:
Does it matter what sort of genitals said person had? Really who cares? One person was enough.

Also I see both sides of the "Death vs no death" argument here.

On one side, a death penalty would make him a martyr to some misguided people out there. It would also run home the argument that Holes went in to kill and then society just turns the same stuff against him in retaliation, in a way making us not much better than he is.

On the other hand, now the perp will have a free roof over his head and free meals till the end of his days, all at the expense of the taxpayers, including family members of the casualities etc. And that's wrong.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 11:43 am

No, it doesn't matter to me anyway. I was just pointing it out in reference to the post above mine mentioning Nick - to show what he decided.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Sabratha wrote:
Does it matter what sort of genitals said person had? Really who cares? One person was enough.

On one side, a death penalty would make him a martyr to some misguided people out there. It would also run home the argument that Holes went in to kill and then society just turns the same stuff against him in retaliation, in a way making us not much better than he is.

On the other hand, now the perp will have a free roof over his head and free meals till the end of his days, all at the expense of the taxpayers, including family members of the casualities etc. And that's wrong.
Apparently the death penalty costs more than life in prison. It's a waste of money and incarceration for a prisoner awaiting death penalty is expensive. Not to mention the money lost in court cases, lawyers, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 1:02 pm

Lananas wrote:
Sabratha wrote:

Apparently the death penalty costs more than life in prison. It's a waste of money and incarceration for a prisoner awaiting death penalty is expensive. Not to mention the money lost in court cases, lawyers, etc.

I have a hard time to imagine taht housing a death row inmate for 2 years or so is more expensive than housing and feeding him for possibly 40+ years. And courts and trials alwasy cost money for the state regardless of the outcome, it more depends on the lenght of the process itself.

As for the death penalty procedure itself - well, guess the pahrmaceutical companies that make the poison are just trying to make a buck out of it. If you ask me, they should bring it down to the costs of a single grenade. Cheaper, equally humane (very swift,c ertian and painless death, medical people will tell you that you lose consciousness before the nervous system has the time to feel pain) and effective. Certainly no chnaces of the inmate waking up half-way into the procedure after being sedated.

Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118908
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Since Colorado brought the death penalty back in 1977, they've executed one person and that was in 1997. Chances are if he got the death penalty, he'd probably die in prison before being executed.

CUECUMBER likes this post

Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Global Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 101188
Forum Reputation : 91

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Jenn wrote:
Since Colorado brought the death penalty back in 1977, they've executed one person and that was in 1997. Chances are if he got the death penalty, he'd probably die in prison before being executed.

Precisely.

And while it was in a different state (California), that is exactly what happened with Richard Ramirez.

He was apprehended in 1985, his trial started in 1988, and he was convicted in 1989 and sentenced to death.

He sat there on death row for almost 24 years, succumbing to "natural causes"/illness in 2013, not the execution he was sentenced to.
Back to top Go down
aubre

Contribution Points : 81743
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Wow I really thought he was a goner. Why the hell did they even have to go through with that huge trial;it was all to avoid the death penalty. Huge waste of time.
Back to top Go down
James411

Contribution Points : 85139
Forum Reputation : 89

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 6:42 pm

He survived. Maybe he will write a book in prison??

He could get Dave Cullen to help him.
Back to top Go down
afrrs

afrrs

Contribution Points : 80283

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 6:52 pm

James411 wrote:
not likely . I dont believe a book is coming for at least 10 yrs .
Back to top Go down
aubre

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 7:28 pm

James411 wrote:

Ha, you're funny.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 96691
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 11:43 pm

I am glad that James got LIP, instead of a death sentence
I'm not a big fan of the dp anyway and I believe he was severely mentally ill bordering on psychosis at the time of this crime.
I know some of the victim's families wanted the dp and I can feel for them in their disappointment in the verdict, but at the same time I am relieved that the family of James won't have to go through the dp process.
Very sad and tragic situation on all sides.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

Contribution Points : 83707
Forum Reputation : 135

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 4:49 am

Full life in prison is so completely pointless.

The goal of prison is to make people learn from their mistakes, be punished, so that when they go back out into the real world they will be 'better' people. If you are never going to leave prison, then anything you 'learn' is pointless and you might as well just get death penalty so we at least dont have to pay taxes to keep your sorry ass alive. Another reason why the legal system is ridiculous.

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 8:54 am

aubre wrote:
James411 wrote:

Ha, you're funny.
Maybe LPorter and Dave can collaborate!! flower
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151268
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 10:57 am

Lananas wrote:
aubre wrote:
James411 wrote:

Ha, you're funny.

I'll get right on it. Very Happy

Cullen didn't bother to stick to the facts, so I won't, either:

James Holmes got chicks. Lots and lots of chicks. On the ultimate high school scorecard, James outscored much of the bird-watching club. He'd pick up a chick, hold it in his hand, caress it gently, and then set it down on the ground and stomp on it:

On his fourteenth Halloween, when he was a freshman in high school, James dressed up as Batman. He spent hours working on his costume.

When he showed up at school, some of the other kids gave him looks - this was high school, after all.

But the captain of the football team - a towering, muscular jock named Wayne - came right up to him and said, "Hey, man, nice costume. Why don't you come to the cafeteria at lunchtime so you can show it off to all my buddies? We'll be at the jock table."

"Gee, that'd be swell!" James said. He was so happy that the most popular guy in the school liked his costume.

At 11:48 a.m., he walked up to the jock table in the cafeteria and said, "Hey, guys! Look at my cool costume!"

The jocks were ready with ketchup bottles - you know, the plastic kind that squirt. By 11:49, James was thoroughly drenched.

"Ha-ha, you fucking loser!" Wayne shouted at the top of his lungs. "Catwoman had her period! Batman was going down on her at the time, so he got soaked!"

Everyone in the cafeteria laughed and laughed and laughed.

But anyway...

RandoKiwi32 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 10:59 am

LPorter101 wrote:
Lananas wrote:
aubre wrote:
James411 wrote:

Ha, you're funny.

I'll get right on it. Very Happy

Cullen didn't bother to stick to the facts, so I won't, either:

James Holmes got chicks. Lots and lots of chicks. On the ultimate high school scorecard, James outscored much of the bird-watching club. He'd pick up a chick, hold it in his hand, caress it gently, and then set it down on the ground and stomp on it:

On his fourteenth Halloween, when he was a freshman in high school, James dressed up as Batman. He spent hours working on his costume.

When he showed up at school, some of the other kids gave him looks - this was high school, after all.

But the captain of the football team - a towering, muscular jock named Wayne - came right up to him and said, "Hey, man, nice costume. Why don't you come to the cafeteria at lunchtime so you can show it off to all my buddies? We'll be at the jock table."

"Gee, that'd be swell!" James said. He was so happy that the most popular guy in the school liked his costume.

At 11:48 a.m., he walked up to the jock table in the cafeteria and said, "Hey, guys! Look at my cool costume!"

The jocks were ready with ketchup bottles - you know, the plastic kind that squirt. By 11:49, James was thoroughly drenched.

"Ha-ha, you fucking loser!" Wayne shouted at the top of his lungs. "Catwoman had her period! Batman was going down on her at the time, so he got soaked!"

Everyone in the cafeteria laughed and laughed and laughed.

But anyway...
I love how every one of these starts with "____ got chicks. Lots and lots of chicks."
A+
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 11:06 am

Quote :
I love how every one of these starts with "____ got chicks. Lots and lots of chicks."
A+

Elliot Rodger got chicks. Lots and lots of chicks.

NOT!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 11:25 am

LPorter101 wrote:
Quote :
A+

Elliot Rodger got chicks. Lots and lots of chicks.

NOT!!!!
Adam Lanza got chicks. Lots and lots of chicks.

Growing up on a farm with his mother Nancy, and a father who left in the midst of his childhood, they struggled to make ends meet before winter.

Their only source of income was a sudden influx of baby chickens. There were lots and lots of them.

But one day, on his way to school, Adam was carrying all of his chicks in a basket. A group of jocks took notice, getting jealous of his chicks as Adam drew close by.

The jocks readily prepared their Heinz®️ ketchup bottles, which they kept in their pockets at all times for no discernible reason.

"Fire!"

Though Adam turned his head and saw them aiming, it was too late. The jocks squirted ketchup all over Adam's chicks, killing them to death.

He returned home with his cold, condiment drenched, lifeless bundle cradled in his arms. Nancy opened the door and screamed.

"God dangit Adam! Look what you've done!"

"I'm s-sorry, ma." Adam looked down ashamedly, in a feeble attempt to hide his tears.

To avoid going completely off-topic: I bet like 3 pennies that fangirls will visit James in prison, like Ted Bundy's fans did. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 12:46 pm

LPorter101 wrote:

"Catwoman had her period! Batman was going down on her at the time, so he got soaked!"

Kind of a compliment ... at least he was getting some Laughing

Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 3:09 pm

eli27 wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:

"Catwoman had her period! Batman was going down on her at the time, so he got soaked!"

Kind of a compliment ... at least he was getting some Laughing

Well, even good ol' Rocky told the boys he bullied that they were having lots of sex ... with other boys.
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 4:29 pm

eli27 wrote:

The goal of prison is to make people learn from their mistakes, be punished, so that when they go back out into the real world they will be 'better' people. If you are never going to leave prison, then anything you 'learn' is pointless and you might as well just get death penalty so we at least dont have to pay taxes to keep your sorry ass alive. Another reason why the legal system is ridiculous.

I see your point, though I always feel life in prison is more of a punishment than the death penalty, so in cases like this (and Columbine) would be quite fitting.

Take Dylan for example - a person who couldn't wait for death - a good punishment for him for his crime had he been captured would have been to keep him alive for another 60 years, not end it as he wanted.

I suppose it could be looked at as a deterrent more so than the death penalty in some cases.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 2:48 am

Considering the millions of dollars the government wastes every year on various nonsense, I'd rather my tax dollars go towards the support of prisoners. Better that than 10,000 dollar toilet seats.

eli27 wrote:

Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 4:20 am

PaintItBlack wrote:
Considering the millions of dollars the government wastes every year on various nonsense, I'd rather my tax dollars go towards the support of prisoners. Better that than 10,000 dollar toilet seats.

eli27 wrote:

I would just rather they didn't waste it, and I didn't have to pay for prisoners to get xboxes.

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 7:12 am

Damn xbox, which prison is that? Trust me life in prison is no cake walk, no matter what you amenities you might be able to get, your liberty is taken away, your privacy, any sense of control over your life is striped away. Is a much better punishment than the death penalty.

Plus, it's been proven that the death penalty does not deter crime, they don't even try to hide it anymore, the pro-death penalty advocates are pretty much like, yep it's about revenge.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 10:15 am

aubre wrote:
Damn xbox, which prison is that? Trust me life in prison is no cake walk, no matter what you amenities you might be able to get, your liberty is taken away, your privacy, any sense of control over your life is striped away. Is a much better punishment than the death penalty.

Plus, it's been proven that the death penalty does not deter crime, they don't even try to hide it anymore, the pro-death penalty advocates are pretty much like, yep it's about revenge.
You should read up about the murder of Skylar Neese. I used to post on a topic about it on another forum, where two prison guards (where her killers are held) and the mother of another inmate there also post. Apparently her two killers play PS4, eat chips and drink pepsi all day. And a TV in every cell. It's amazing the way some things are in some prisons.
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 12:50 pm

aubre wrote:

Where has it been proven that the death penalty does not deter crime? Prison certainly doesn't. I have seen cases of people who purposely go to prison because of all the luxuries they get that they don't have on the streets. Trust me, for some people prison is a cake walk. I disagree with the whole 'its a better punishment' argument all together, because if they aren't coming back out then the law is simply inflicting punishment back onto the person as they are being punished for doing in the first place. If everyone is going to be just as bad as the other, then they might as well do it in a way that gets rid of them as quickly as possible.

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 2:19 pm

eli27 wrote:
aubre wrote:

Where has it been proven that the death penalty does not deter crime? Prison certainly doesn't. I have seen cases of people who purposely go to prison because of all the luxuries they get that they don't have on the streets. Trust me, for some people prison is a cake walk. I disagree with the whole 'its a better punishment' argument all together, because if they aren't coming back out then the law is simply inflicting punishment back onto the person as they are being punished for doing in the first place. If everyone is going to be just as bad as the other, then they might as well do it in a way that gets rid of them as quickly as possible.

There are a lot of studies that prove it, majority of criminologist don't believe it has any deterrent effect. If you don't believe me look it up.

I used to be very strongly against the death penalty, mostly I still am. In certain cases it's almost more humane to just give them the death penalty. But there's something about just getting rid of people that doesn't sit right with me. I don't care about saving taxes at all, money is not a consideration to me when it comes to human life.
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 3:16 pm

aubre wrote:
eli27 wrote:
aubre wrote:

There are a lot of studies that prove it, majority of criminologist don't believe it has any deterrent effect. If you don't believe me  look it up.

I used to be very strongly against the death penalty, mostly I still am. In certain cases it's almost more humane to just give them the death penalty. But there's something about just getting rid of people that doesn't sit right with me. I don't care about saving taxes at all, money is not a consideration to me when it comes to human life.

I have a very different take on taxes to you. To me, I don't know these people, I don't really care about them, and I don't want to spend any money on them either. Money that I earned whilst they sat in bed playing games.

Contribution Points : 85139
Forum Reputation : 89

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 4:05 pm

I think his punishment is suitable. However it could be improved.

Instead of incarcerating James Holmes, The authorities ought to have him perform community service.

He should be closely guarded.

Have him clean the highways, and such.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 10:42 pm

I know quite a bit about the terrible murder of Sky even though I am not an expert on the case. I think of her often.
I did not know that Sheila and Rachel were doing that in prison.
Sheila has been compared to Eric which I don't agree with.
Do you think they killed Sky so she would never tell about the affair they'd been having?

Juicy Jazzy wrote:
aubre wrote:

You should read up about the murder of Skylar Neese. I used to post on a topic about it on another forum, where two prison guards (where her killers are held) and the mother of another inmate there also post. Apparently her two killers play PS4, eat chips and drink pepsi all day. And a TV in every cell. It's amazing the way some things are in some prisons.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 10:49 pm

I feel much the same.
I've thought a lot about this and I think I would rather be dead than spend life in prison.
I think people behind bars can lead very productive and meaningful lives but that lack of any freedom and loss of control plus all the other things from other inmates that go on in prison would kill me.

aubre wrote:
eli27 wrote:
aubre wrote:

There are a lot of studies that prove it, majority of criminologist don't believe it has any deterrent effect. If you don't believe me  look it up.

Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 11:40 pm

PaintItBlack wrote:
I know quite a bit about the terrible murder of Sky even though I am not an expert on the case. I think of her often.
Do you think they killed Sky so she would never tell about the affair they'd been having?
It's hard to figure out the motives in that case. If Shelia and Rachel had a problem with people knowing they had kissed and fucked before then why did they do it in front of Skylar to begin with? I seriously doubt that was the reason why. Maybe there was no reason. Shelia loved crime shows like CSI and Law & Order, showed clear signs of psychopathic behavior (helping the Neeses hand out missing posters, consoling the family, writing statuses on Twitter and FB about how much she misses Sky, showing no emotion at all to her disappearance) and Rachel was wrapped around her little finger so maybe she wanted to kill someone, recruited Rachel along the way and decided Skylar was an easy target.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 1:29 am

Juicy Jazzy wrote:
PaintItBlack wrote:
It's hard to figure out the motives in that case. If Shelia and Rachel had a problem with people knowing they had kissed and fucked before then why did they do it in front of Skylar to begin with? I seriously doubt that was the reason why. Maybe there was no reason. Shelia loved crime shows like CSI and Law & Order, showed clear signs of psychopathic behavior (helping the Neeses hand out missing posters, consoling the family, writing statuses on Twitter and FB about how much she misses Sky, showing no emotion at all to her disappearance) and Rachel was wrapped around her little finger so maybe she wanted to kill someone, recruited Rachel along the way and decided Skylar was an easy target.

I really hope this is not the case. I would rather that Sky died for some reason , no matter how stupid or selfish it was, than for no reason at all. To think she was killed for nothing at all, just a thrill, would bother me even more.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2015 11:30 am

James411 wrote:

Don't give him ideas! He could go to Larkin and have his actions justified away with sociobabble. LOL

aubre wrote:
your liberty is taken away, your privacy, any sense of control over your life is striped away. Is a much better punishment than the death penalty.

Ok... how does that differ from a death penalty then? Cause the death penalty takes away even more liberty and even more control over the convict's life? I think there's also less privacy on detah row than under other forms of incarceration too.

I'm not relaly that big of a fan of the death penalty in most cases, but I do think if we wan't to argue for or agaist it, we best try to concentrate on good arguments, especuially on the costs of the whole thing and the impact it has on crime.

I've not made research, but I talked to a guy who spent a lot of time in a Polish prison under commie times. He was a political prisoner and was there for opposing communism, but he got placed amongst regular criminals (as was communist practice) and he told me a bit about them. He said that they usually have a good grip on the laws and regularly discuss stuff in a: "Sure, I'd do this-and-that because that could land me 3-to-6 tops. But I wouldn't do this-and-that, becuase that gets you the death penalty (oryg: "bo za to jest czapa")."

I"ve also seen a TV interview with a polish politicain, who wa also doing time under communism as a political prisoner. And he said the same thing: Criminals regularly assess their chances versus the penalty they may face and often balk at some crimes, because the potential punishment is harsh.

Then again, this is Poland. PErhaps its a cultural difference, or our slobs are less dumb tahn USA slobs? ;)

PaintItBlack wrote:
I feel much the same.
I've thought a lot about this and I think I would rather be dead than spend life in prison.
I have a different stance on it myself. I'd rather get life in jail, than a death penalty. Especially in a nice Norwegian or Finnish prison. Less so in a Polish prison (food sucks, its dirty, system is underfunded), but still better.

Having said that, if I were to die I'd rather have it on my own terms in my own time. Not that it will prevent random events like a brick falling on my head in a wooden house or anything Cool

Last edited by Sabratha on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124184
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 2:01 am

I really thought he was going to get the Death Penalty

Back to top Go down
jada887

jada887

Contribution Points : 75653
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2016 9:53 pm

What a shame. Holmes got away with his life. It's a shame his 12 victims can say the same.
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 85953
Forum Reputation : 340

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 12:28 pm

James411 wrote:

"Hello I am James and I shot up a theatre because I was on crack and an evil psychopath clown forced me to kill or else he'd kill every single drug dealer alive and get rid of all my crack"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James holmes sentenced to life in prison   James holmes sentenced to life in prison Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

James holmes sentenced to life in prison
Page 1 of 1