Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Columbine trivia tidbits

Go down 
+18
Screamingophelia
Littlelo
starrwilliams
thenight_watchman
spidEr
lilith
Archvile
ThoughtBox
radaddio
sororityalpha
Sabratha
WendlaBergman
PaintItBlack
Falco
eli27
Jenn
Gustopoet2
LPorter101
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 147925
Forum Reputation : 2502

Columbine trivia tidbits Empty
PostSubject: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 9:42 pm

Brooks Brown was born on Monday, July 14, 1980.

Zach Heckler was born on Friday, May 1, 1981.

Chris Morris was born on Tuesday, June 9, 1981.

Brooks Brown, his brother Aaron, and a few of his friends formed a band called "Second Sedition".

(The "first sedition" was in 1776 - you know, the Declaration of Independence and all that.)

Wayne and Kathy Harris were married on Friday, April 17, 1970 - the same day that Apollo 13 landed in the Pacific Ocean *and* that Paul McCartney announced he was quitting the Beatles.

They celebrated their 29th wedding anniversary on the night of Columbine's prom.

The Trench Coat Mafia was originally known as "The Anachronists":

'Trenchcoat' member describes 'pure hell' and torment on Columbine campus

By Susan Greene
Denver Post Staff Writer

Hell.

The word has been used so often this week to describe the bloody rampage at Columbine High School.

But one member of Columbine's now-notorious Trench Coat Mafia invokes the same image of hell when describing life at the school before the carnage.

The 18-year-old, who demanded anonymity, said he was taunted and terrorized by his schoolmates - so-called jocks who called him "faggot," bashed him into lockers and threw rocks at him from their cars while he rode his bike home from school.

"I can't describe how hard it was to get up in the morning and face that," he said.

"Hell," he continued. "Pure hell."

Police repeatedly have questioned the teen about his knowledge of the shootings.

He is one of several mafia members who at once are shying away from reporters, but also desperate to have their stories heard.

He and his parents know people will perceive their anonymity as a sign that he has something to hide or in some way is responsible for Tuesday's massacre.

He's visibly grieving about the tragedy and about what he knows are the ties students are suggesting between him and killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.

He said the two seniors weren't even part of the mafia, but merely friends of one especially charismatic - and, he notes, the only violent - member.

They were on the fringe of the group, the school's most outcast, most fringe clique.

And so, the teen said, his reluctance to speak out stems not from an association with the shooters, but from the very reason his group of loners banded together in the first place - out of fear of more ridicule and torment, more shoves, more thrown rocks. Or worse.

"I want to stand up and say this is what I went through," he said. "But I'm scared, not just for me, but my family."

By now, most of America and much of the world have heard about Columbine's jocks.

The student-athletes commonly wear clothes bearing the logos of sports teams. Another indication is baseball caps with visors worn facing forward and carefully rounded.

Not all jocks tormented him, the teen noted. But he said a handful of bullies held so much power that most of the school emulated them, or at least were too afraid to voice dissent.

"If you didn't dress like them, if you walked to school or rode your bike, if you didn't get into sports and weren't athletic, then you were an outcast. It's that simple,'' he said.

Taunting started with the teen's appearance which, without compromising his anonymity, is gawky - the painfully uneasy look of so many male teens teetering between boyhood and manhood. He said jocks ridiculed his clothes and his black trench coat, which his parents bought for him to wear with suits on special occasions.

The torment often became vicious.

While the teen biked home from school, he said, jocks would "speed past at 40, 50 mph" and toss pop cans or cups full of sticky soda at him. Sometimes they threw rocks or even sideswiped his bike with their cars.

He described waking on school days with a knot in his stomach and the dread of having to face the humiliation.

He would avoid certain hallways and even make his way to classes outside the school building to escape being ridiculed or being bashed against lockers, he said.

In the cafeteria, he continued, jocks threw mashed potatoes at him. He would wear the stains for the rest of the school day.

But he wasn't the only kid messed with at Columbine. Other mafia members faced similar troubles. And, he said, he knew Klebold and Harris were tormented as well.

The teen speaks about his high school years quietly, but angrily. He's visibly withdrawn and says he's depressed. But he has enough perspective to understand why he joined the mafia. It was the only place he could find friends.

He said the core group of about seven boys - mostly socially awkward kids, loners - started hanging out in 1996. They gradually grew to include more students, boys and girls who called themselves "The Anachronists" because of their interest in the game Dungeons and Dragons and their penchant for Goth, short for Gothic, fashions.

In early 1998, he said, a jock branded them with the name Trench Coat Mafia. The group accepted the moniker, hoping the symbolism would scare their tormenters and that the nefarious aura of a darkly dressed mob would finally give them some peace.

"And it worked," the teen said. "They did start leaving us alone."

Members apparently found security in numbers. They hung out together listening to music, watching movies and commiserating about their difficulties at school. Many, he said, were just grateful for the companionship.

Despite widespread news reports about their obsession with the sadist music of Marilyn Manson, he said, only one member really was a fan of the shock-rocker.

The teen also makes a point of noting the group wasn't racist or interested in Nazi history or culture.

"That's so inaccurate, the image that we were like that," he said. "People just want to put labels on us that aren't true."

The teen said Harris and Klebold were less socially active even than other mafia members.

From the outside, he said, they must have seemed part of the group because of their black trench coats and their similar Goth style of dress. But, speaking from the inside, he said they weren't really members. Although they sometimes hung with the mafia in Columbine's commons and shared sneers at the jocks, he recalled, they ate at a separate lunch table and led very separate lives.

Harris and Klebold didn't usually don trench coats, he added, surmising they wore them on Tuesday because they helped hide their guns. Further, he noted, theirs weren't really trench coats, but actually Australian dusters - not authentically Goth at all.

The teen is clearly rocked by Tuesday's massacre. He swallows hard when talking about it, when seeing the yearbook photos of his dead schoolmates and teacher beamed over national TV.

"I'm not saying what they did was OK,'' he said of Harris and Klebold. "But I know what it's like to be cornered, pushed day after day."

"Tell people that we were harassed and that sometimes it was impossible to take," he told a reporter. "Tell people that ... eventually, someone was going to snap."

During the aftermath of the massacre, Wayne and Kathy Harris stayed at the Marriott Hotel at Interstate 25 and Hampden Avenue.

Ironically, many of the reporters who covered the Columbine massacre stayed at the same hotel.

(I wonder if any of the reporters ever saw them and/or attempted to speak to them.)

They did not return home until Memorial Day - Monday, May 31, 1999.

Byron Jacob Klebold was born on Monday, October 23, 1978 - the day that Keith Richards pleaded guilty to heroin possession. (Richards got off *very* easy.)

Byron was born one day after Dave Sanders celebrated his 27th birthday.

Susan Francis Klebold (nee Yassenoff) was born on Friday, March 25, 1949 - the same day that the Soviet Union began forcible deportations of families from Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia (the so-called Baltic republics).

After Byron Klebold moved into his own apartment in 1998, Dylan moved into his big brother's old room.

For his 17th birthday, Dylan got a mini-refrigerator from his parents.

The Klebold family has said that Dylan was left-handed.

Nate Dykeman and his stepfather saw Patrick Ireland fall through the library window.

(They were standing on the balcony of Dykeman's stepfather's house, looking at the school through binoculars.)

Dylan got his nickname after imbibing an entire bottle of vodka (at once).

If I had been him, I totally would have spelled it "VoDKa".

Not long before the attack, Dylan and Tom Klebold discussed their shared opposition to a bill in the Colorado state legislature that would have made it easier to carry concealed weapons.

Rebel Hill was created with 120,000 cubic yards of dirt left over from the 1995 restoration of Columbine High.

Cameras were installed in the commons solely to catch kids leaving trash.

Dylan Klebold's locker was No. 837.

Eric Harris's locker number was 624.

The Klebolds have a carriage house that, at one point, they rented out.

The theme song for Columbine's class of '99 was "The Way You Look Tonight":
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

During the 1996-97 school year, Eric Harris had a PC with a Pentium (75MHz) processor and 8MB of RAM.

(That was the state of the computing art ... in 1994.)

Eric Harris' favorite salad dressing was ... ranch.

Eric Harris' favorite magazines were ... Guns and Ammo, Penthouse, and Time.

Judy Brown freaked out one day when she saw Eric in the grocery store (King Soopers?) buying a gun/rifle magazine.

If Eric could have changed one thing about himself, it would have been ... his weight.

The theme of Columbine's post-prom party was "New York, New York."

Eric Harris was born in Wichita, Kansas.

When the students in Eric's creative-writing class liked a particular story, they snapped their fingers to signal their approval.

The following is from a Washington Post article:

Quote :
In a childhood memoir he composed for a creative writing class one day in early April, Harris re-created a world in which he and his older brother, Kevin, were young boys, sons of an Air Force pilot, playing a war game in his back yard in small-town Plattsburgh, N.Y.

But the war game wasn't just a game. In the memoir, the boys were Rambo-like heroes, caught in a genuine battle for survival. Armed with M-16s, Eric and his brother were fending off an entire army of assailants.

"It sounded like they were in Vietnam," says classmate Domonic Duran. "They were running away from the enemy, diving under logs, hiding from helicopters, throwing pine cones that were like grenades. It was shocking because it was so good."

So good, in fact, that when it was read aloud to the class by a friend – Harris declined the honor – the students snapped their fingers vigorously, the class sign of approval. No one could have known that the high school literary triumph prefigured the horror to come, with Klebold cast as the brother and all of Columbine High as the emeny.

According to an RMN article, Brooks Brown read Eric's story to the class.

For a time, Rebel News Network (RNN) broadcast to the surrounding community on Channel 60.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 9:50 pm

On Saturday, June 13, 1998, Eric Harris wrote about watching a program on The Discovery Channel:

Quote :
heres something to chew on....: today I saw a program on the discovery channel about satelites and radar and aircraft and stuff, and at the end of the show the narrator said some things that made me think "damn, we are so advanced, we kick ass, america is awesome, we have so many things in our military, we would kick anyones ass." for a minute I actually had some pride in our nation.... then I realized, "hey, this only the Good things that I am seeing here. only the Pros, not the cons. maybe thats what people see, only the Pros, and thats why they are under control. but me, I see all... you can only blind me for so long. but alas, I have realized that Yes, the human race is still indeed doomed. It just needs a few kick starts, like me, and hell, maybe even [censored]. If can whipe a few cities off the map, and even the fuckhead Holding the map, then great. hmm, just thinking if I want ALL humans dead or maybe just the quote-unquote "civilized, developed, and known-of" places on Earth. maybe leave little tribes of natives in the rain forest er something. hmm, I'll think about that. eh. done for tonight -REB- 6/13/98

On Saturday, June 13, 1998, at 2 p.m. Eastern (12 noon Mountain), The Discovery Channel broadcast the Future Wings installment "Eyes in the Sky":
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A description of the program:

...and the video:
Back to top Go down
Gustopoet2

Gustopoet2

Contribution Points : 81540
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Great stuff, LPorter -- thanks, dude.

Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 10:21 pm

Gustopoet2 wrote:
Great stuff, LPorter -- thanks, dude.

You are most welcome.

D3TROIT40OZ313 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118020
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Nice thread for a sticky. Thanks!

Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

Contribution Points : 82832
Forum Reputation : 135

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 2:47 am

Thanks for the info, nice, although sad, to read a first hand account of Columbine school life. I know the feeling of waking up for school with a knot in your stomach, and it makes me very sad to know how many others felt the same at Columbine.

Last edited by eli27 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 3:19 am

At the time of the attack, the student parking fee was $50 per semester.

On Tuesday, April 20, 1999, Columbine observed Free Cookie Day.

Dylan's locker combination was 19-37-9.

Others:

Eric ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]): 16-48-30
Nate Dykeman [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]): 49-01-44
Zach Heckler ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]): 21-43-07
Chris Morris ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]): 31-15-25

Dylan named his Rotisserie baseball team the Border Hoppers.

He "borrowed" the Taco Bell logo to use for his team.

In Denver, the sun rose at 6:16 a.m. on Tuesday, April 20, 1999.

It set at 7:43 p.m. that evening. The day lasted 13 hours and 27 minutes.

The word columbine comes from Latin:

[Middle English, from Medieval Latin columbna, from feminine of Latin columbnus, dovelike (from the resemblance of the inverted flower to a cluster of doves), from columba, dove.]

Eric's "personal pager code" was reportedly 732.

Eric and Dylan were born in 1981 - the Year of the Rooster.

mflergen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Contribution Points : 85907
Forum Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 5:35 am

These are some nice "tidbits". I might try and remember some of the good ones.

KalinDT1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 7:20 am

Three out of every four books in the library were soaked so thoroughly by the sprinklers that they could not be salvaged.

EDIT:

Quote :
Flood control is active on this forum, please wait 10 second(s) before replying or posting.

LOL.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 7:23 am

Matt Kechter worked at a pizza parlor. His friends there knew he hated country music. They'd turn on a country radio station, the worst one they could find, and he'd retaliate by trying to imitate Shania Twain.

Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 7:26 am

On 4/20, one staffer at St. Anthony's Hospital was nearly shot by a police sniper because he was wearing a long dark coat.

Many reporters tried to dress up as doctors or nurses to get into the emergency room.

Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 7:38 am

One of Tom Klebold's parents when he was six; the other, when he was 13.

The University of Wyoming gave Rocky Hoffschneider a wrestling scholarship, but took it back after he was arrested for breaking into and trashing a guy's apartment.

(Rocky's brother Dusty later got a scholarship and graduated from that same university.)

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 95816
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 10:09 pm

In the house where Lauren lived when she died, there is a pond in the back yard.
Every spring a large toad they nicknamed Frogzilla returns to the pond and Lauren looked forward to that each year.
Back to top Go down
WendlaBergman

Contribution Points : 89249
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 1:29 am

LPorter101 wrote:
Matt Kechter worked at a pizza parlor. His friends there knew he hated country music. They'd turn on a country radio station, the worst one they could find, and he'd retaliate by trying to imitate Shania Twain.

This cracked me up!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], About Frogzilla, do you think maybe Lauren has him as a pet up in Heaven now?
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 95816
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 3:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.],
It's a sweet thought but I don't due to the fact that I don't believe that is scriptural.
I do think she'll be able to see be with many animals when the time comes for the Millennial reign on Earth though.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 96835
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 8:47 am

Quote :
Eric Harris' favorite magazines were ... Guns and Ammo, Penthouse, and Time.
Wow, shitty choises there Eric.

Quote :
If Eric could have changed one thing about himself, it would have been ... his weight.
He wanted to be larger I imagine? He looked pretty skinny to me, especially in the 1998 photos.

Quote :
The theme of Columbine's post-prom party was "New York, New York."
Dumb theme.

Quote :
Dylan got his nickname after imbibing an entire bottle of vodka (at once).
I thought everyone knew this.

Quote :

For his 17th birthday, Dylan got a mini-refrigerator from his parents.
I imagine his reply was: "Gee thanks dad, its very... practical I guess".

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 121538
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 12:47 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
Three out of every four books in the library were soaked so thoroughly by the sprinklers that they could not be salvaged.

Do you have proof/source for this.

As it does not seem possible as the sprinklers NEVER came on in the Library - only below it in the cafeteria
Back to top Go down
radaddio

Contribution Points : 82665
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 1:32 pm

There was a time stamp when the fire alarm went off. I didn't think the sprinkler went off in the library either.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 4:59 pm

page 007884:

ALARM: SMOKE (ION) LIBRARY UB-11 UPPER LVL B [12:05 PM +3 minutes = 12:08 PM]
04/20/99 258
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 2:31 pm

Kevin Harris married his wife Kendra on Sunday, May 2, 2004.

(The wedding pictures have that entry in the "Date taken" metadata field.)

ThoughtBox

Contribution Points : 83171
Forum Reputation : 13

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 11:54 am

I think one of my favorite bits of Columbine trivia is that the propane tanks the boys used were the "Blue Rhino" brand (I think), the same kind I always buy for grilling.

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Back to top Go down
Archvile

Archvile

Contribution Points : 78986
Forum Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 3:04 pm

*Eric Harris liked he movie Evil Dead 2, although not a lot of people know it. He used the sound effect of Ash saying "Swallow This!" in his Doom WAD when the guns are fired.
Back to top Go down
lilith

lilith

Contribution Points : 72450

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 12:25 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] oh wooow! i never knew thiis! i love that film!

spidEr

spidEr

Contribution Points : 68826
Forum Reputation : 145

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2016 11:41 pm

Dylan was reported to say racist things on his last day on earth, but he couldn't have been racist.

After all he was a fan of Black musician DJ Spooky, and owned a tour shirt and bumper sticker of his, and may have even attended a live concert.
Back to top Go down
spidEr

spidEr

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 9:31 am

in the 2001 TV movie How to Make a Monster, a video game programmer is downloading videos of famous murderers to put into an A.I chip to give a monster in his video game the personality of real killers and one of the images that flashes on the screen while he is downloading information on them is a picture of Kacey Ruegsegger laying in the grass.
Back to top Go down
thenight_watchman

thenight_watchman

Contribution Points : 64522

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Great info, I need to try and remember some tidbits

Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Mr. Kirgis stated that he had been the owner of Black jack Pizza, 6657 West Ottawa Place, Littleton, Colorado, from December 1, 1995 until March 8, 1999.

He stated that he sold the Blackjack Pizza for about $15,000 to Chris Lau.
Back to top Go down
spidEr

spidEr

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri May 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Columbine is mentioned in 5 horror movies.

1. Freddy Vs Jason - one of the main characters refers to the murders as 'a Columbine thing'.

2. Citizen Toxie - this movie starts with a school shooting being carried out by a group known as The Diaper Mafia and the leader says that the Trenchcoat Mafia are pussies.

3. Bye Bye Man - the final act of the movie the police officer says that the killings were not 'another Columbine' and earlier on the movie the main character talks about a school shooting with brains everywhere, and blood on sneakers.

4. Cabin Fever 2 - "last time I looked kids were taking weapons and trench coats to school" quote.

5. Detention of the Dead - a teen pulls out a gun and a girl says "you were going to Columbine us?"

Last edited by spidEr on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

superiorityofreason likes this post

Back to top Go down
starrwilliams

starrwilliams

Contribution Points : 64949

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri May 19, 2017 11:01 pm

LPorter101 wrote:

EDIT:

Quote :
Flood control is active on this forum, please wait 10 second(s) before replying or posting.

LOL.

Forgive my ignorance. What does flood control mean?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118020
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri May 19, 2017 11:44 pm

deeagle wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:

EDIT:

Quote :

LOL.

Forgive my ignorance.  What does flood control mean?
How long you have to wait in between posts. The flood control is actually 25 seconds now, not 10. Basically it stops members from "flooding" the forum with a bunch of back to back posts and cuts back on spam and trolling.

Back to top Go down
starrwilliams

starrwilliams

Contribution Points : 64949

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeSat May 20, 2017 12:44 am

Jenn wrote:
deeagle wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:

EDIT:

Quote :

LOL.

Forgive my ignorance.  What does flood control mean?
How long you have to wait in between posts. The flood control is actually 25 seconds now, not 10. Basically it stops members from "flooding" the forum with a bunch of back to back posts and cuts back on spam and trolling.

Thank you for telling me. You learn something new every day!
Back to top Go down
spidEr

spidEr

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 3:40 am

This is how Eric and Dylan looked in the Doom game.
The player that is setting up the configurations for the game and launching it via his internet connection would have been first player in the game, and their color would have been default (Green), so this would have been Dylan who set up their lan games, which could have meant he had a faster computer. Eric would have been the second player that entered the game (Indigo), but there is a mistake with the Doom's palette so indigo color would actually be grey. If there had been a third of fourth player then they would have been Red and Brown.

The marine carries a carbine rifle at all times, even though you cannot fire it, but the two main enemies in the game carry both of Eric's guns. The Former Human Private carries the carbine and the Former Human Sergeant carried a shotgun. I don't know if that inspired him to get those two though.

The title & ending screen of the first Doom game shows the player holding a sawed off shotgun, this could be what Eric was referring to when he said it was "straight out of Doom".
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 65753
Forum Reputation : 90

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2017 10:43 am

spidEr wrote:
This is how Eric and Dylan looked in the Doom game.
The player that is setting up the configurations for the game and launching it via his internet connection would have been first player in the game, and their color would have been default (Green), so this would have been Dylan who set up their lan games, which could have meant he had a faster computer. Eric would have been the second player that entered the game (Indigo), but there is a mistake with the Doom's palette so indigo color would actually be grey. If there had been a third of fourth player then they would have been Red and Brown.

The marine carries a carbine rifle at all times, even though you cannot fire it, but the two main enemies in the game carry both of Eric's guns. The Former Human Private carries the carbine and the Former Human Sergeant carried a shotgun. I don't know if that inspired him to get those two though.

The title & ending screen of the first Doom game shows the player holding a sawed off shotgun, this could be what Eric was referring to when he said it was "straight out of Doom".

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2017 4:12 pm

From a New York Post article published 4/24/99.
All library victims were pronounced dead at 4:45pm. Also some info on Dave Sanders.

Quote :
SWAT team members – who didn’t know if the gunmen were still in the building – didn’t move Sanders, a father of four and grandfather of 10.

They left it to paramedics to move the injured. When Sanders was taken from the school by 4 p.m., he had a weak pulse.

By the time Colwell, wearing a bulletproof vest, walked into the school, his job was to pronounce people dead.

He declared Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris dead. It was obvious they were the killers – both wore ammunition belts around their waists.

“They were right next to each other in the back of the library,” Colwell said. “If you took off their ammunition belts, they would have looked like any other students.”

It was also Colwell’s job to provide an official time of death. And he did – declaring all 12 victims dead at 4:45 p.m. Tuesday – even though he knew they had died hours earlier from their wounds.

And, Colwell believes, it was his job to leave a mortally wounded man bleeding to death.

He went home Tuesday night, drank a 12-ounce bottle of Heineken and slept fitfully.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 9:30 pm

I read up until at least several years ago they still showed the RNN burning logo on the TV. Which is the one Dylan did.

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 97794
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 5:07 am

In the book Bullet Riddled, an autobiography on a SWAT member who was based in Denver, he gave a few details on the circumstances of Dave Sanders. When SWAT finally got authority to send a medic up to help Sanders, they sent up a young man who was a EMT. Supposedly he didn't have any sort of paramedic kit with him. After looking at Sanders, without checking his vitals, he pronounced him dead.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 7:38 am

Juicy Jazzy wrote:
In the book Bullet Riddled, an autobiography on a SWAT member who was based in Denver, he gave a few details on the circumstances of Dave Sanders. When SWAT finally got authority to send a medic up to help Sanders, they sent up a young man who was a EMT. Supposedly he didn't have any sort of paramedic kit with him. After looking at Sanders, without checking his vitals, he pronounced him dead.

This has ALWAYS boggled my mind! scratch How the hell did the EMT go inside WITHOUT his gear, without so much as a f*cking bandaid!? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 7:54 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Juicy Jazzy wrote:

This has ALWAYS boggled my mind! scratch How the hell did the EMT go inside WITHOUT his gear, without so much as a f*cking bandaid!? Evil or Very Mad

It's like first day training stuff/common sense... urgh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 8:00 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Juicy Jazzy wrote:

It's like first day training stuff/common sense... urgh.

Agreed. My little brother is a EMT and volunteer Firefighter, he goes NO WHERE with out some sort of emergency kit.

The fact this guy would walk into a school KNOWING there were injured inside and didn't bring any medical gear is just ridiculous. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 8:29 am

It really is crazy how many different stories there are surrounded Dave Sanders, his injuries, and his death. I think every time I read something about him I get more confused and more angry.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 8:31 am

I hope his family takes some comfort in the fact that he was really a hero, he saved many lives.

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 8:31 am

Littlelo wrote:
It really is crazy how many different stories there are surrounded Dave Sanders, his injuries, and his death. I think every time I read something about him I get more confused and more angry.

Agreed. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 8:38 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
I hope his family takes some comfort in the fact that he was really a hero, he saved many lives.

Some one please refresh my memory, but the Sanders's family did win some type of settlement right? scratch

I know I remember the majority of the cases were dismissed when the victims families sued other then the Sander's family.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 8:39 am

I know JeffCo has maintained that even with immediate medical attention, he would not have lived. I don't have a background in medicine but I STRONGLY believe that is b.s.

Not sure about the lawsuit though

Edit: here's an article from 2001 about the lawsuits

Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Steven Robert Curnow and Kyle Albert Velasquez are buried next to each other at Fort Logan National Cemetary in Denver, CO.
Rachel Joy Scott and Corey Tyler DePooter are buried next to each other at Olinger Chapel Hill Cemetary in Centennial, CO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 2:45 pm

Littlelo wrote:
Steven Robert Curnow and Kyle Albert Velasquez are buried next to each other at Fort Logan National Cemetary in Denver, CO.
Rachel Joy Scott and Corey Tyler DePooter are buried next to each other at Olinger Chapel Hill Cemetary in Centennial, CO.

I find that very sad. They died together and were then laid to rest together. Sad
Back to top Go down
23september

Contribution Points : 65540
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 4:26 pm

Some facts about the chalcedony onyx:

"While Onyx was revered in many cultures, it was feared in others, considered to be “a bad luck stone” that caused black bile to circulate, especially within the mind. It was believed to invoke sadness and despondency, abrupt changes in mood, and make one angry and difficult. It could separate lovers, sow family discord, and expose one to the assaults of demons, bringing dreadful visions by night, quarrels and lawsuits by day."

Considering Dylan had his onyx ring I just thought it was ironic. He wasn't wearing it during the shooting right? It was used by ancient warriors when they went into battle, for protection and strength. Don't know if it classifies as columbine trivia, but thought it was too small of a thing to have its own topic

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 4:43 pm

23september wrote:
Some facts about the chalcedony onyx:

"While Onyx was revered in many cultures, it was feared in others, considered to be “a bad luck stone” that caused black bile to circulate, especially within the mind. It was believed to invoke sadness and despondency, abrupt changes in mood, and make one angry and difficult. It could separate lovers, sow family discord, and expose one to the assaults of demons, bringing dreadful visions by night, quarrels and lawsuits by day."

Considering Dylan had his onyx ring I just thought it was ironic. He wasn't wearing it during the shooting right? It was used by ancient warriors when they went into battle, for protection and strength. Don't know if it classifies as columbine trivia, but thought it was too small of a thing to have its own topic

It is true that Dylan did wear that ring a lot. But whether he had researched the onyx stones possible meaning is hard to say. He likely wore it because he thought it looked bad ass. Smile
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 4:47 pm

Dylan was wearing it under his glove.

He wore his ring for a few years before the shooting. Along with his necklace. I'm not sure of the significance. I do wonder who has it right now. I bet his mom does.

Think it was part of the image he wanted to cultivate. Someone said once they thought he wore it during the shooting because the ring was meant for his halycon girl. Whom he would meet when he died.

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 pm

Didn't know about him wearing it under the glove, interesting!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Columbine trivia tidbits   Columbine trivia tidbits Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Columbine trivia tidbits
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next