Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"

Go down 
+5
LPorter101
Undyne
Freezingmoon
Squid
ldg1414
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ldg1414

ldg1414

Contribution Points : 79199
Forum Reputation : 0

"Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Empty
PostSubject: "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"   "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 1:49 am

This is a quote from Dylan's journal, he often used the word "thoughts" to title his entries. I believe it was the first few pages of Dylan's journal that really captured my interest in him as a person and possibly columbine as a whole. I like to think a lot, I'm not claiming to be bright or anything but I have a huge respect for thought. I always kind of had this theory that people's thoughts have way more to do with how they experience their lives than their actual experiences. I don't see many every day people express this opinion, I don't meet a lot of people who talk about life from the inside of their heads like Dylan. The sad thing I think is despite Dylan's awareness of the power of his own thoughts, he seemed to be unaware or unable to change them.

Do you all have a favorite quote from Eric or Dylan, or has that thread come and gone?
Back to top Go down
Squid

Contribution Points : 74596

PostSubject: Re: "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"   "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 4:04 am

“No, you god damn piece of punk ass shit! Do not mess with that fricken kid! If you do I will rip off your god damn head and shove it so far up your friggen ass that you’ll be coughing up dandruff for four fricken months!” -Dylan Klebold

Jk but really his love letter actually. I think it's one of the most beautiful  things I've read ever.
His whole "diary" is very thought provoking. Because your right many people don't talk from a deeper sense of themselves and the world they rather have shallow and close minded views on life.
Back to top Go down
Freezingmoon

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 77620

PostSubject: Re: "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"   "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 10:11 am

I found this....I guess it was a creative writing assignment for them.  I like to compare and contrast their way of thinking and I really love Dylan's thoughts on "black".  Also, a lot of what  Dylan wrote about in regards to "love" and "existence" in his journals resonates with me.

025996 - By Dylan

I am - A gun. A Wildey .45 semiautomatic. I am a God. I kill people. I was never made for hunting, just to kill humans. When someone needs to die, I kill them. There was this bald guy once. He was gay and arrogant and superficial and had a false sense of power. I blew off half his head with 1 shot. I am God. He died.

BLACK – I am purity. Darkness. Romanticism. Professionalism. Existence. Complacence. Power. Pain. Everything is black. I am everything.

026174 Gun & Black by Eric

Gun

I am going to spit a hell of a lot of buckshot out my barrel into this pansy’s face.

Black

I can’t see a God damn thing so what the hell am I going to write about, how I can’t see anything? My mind is black, sight is black, hearing is black, everything, so HA.
Back to top Go down
Freezingmoon

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 77620

PostSubject: Re: "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"   "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 10:29 am

Quotes by Eric that resonate with me:

"I don't think humans are meant to define themselves, we just make quick judgments and go with that. Sometimes we will spend an entire lifetime trying to figure out someone and even after that length of time we still can't possibly know everything about that person. The same goes for ourselves, just when we think we know who we are when a new event happens that throws everything we knew about ourselves out the window."

"Society may not realize what is happening but I have. You go to school, to get used to studying and learning how you’re “supposed to” so that drains or filters out a little bit of human nature. But that’s after your parents taught you what’s right and wrong even though you may think differently, you still must follow the rules. After school you are expected to get a job or go to college, to have more of your human nature blown out your ass. Society tries to make everyone act the same by burying all human nature and instincts. That’s what schools, laws, jobs, and parents do, if they realize it or not. And them, the few who stick to their natural instincts are cast out as psychos or lunatics or strangers or just plain different."

"Ever wonder why we go to school? besides getting a so called education. It’s not too obvious to most of you stupid fucks but for those who think a little more and deeper you should realize it. Its societies way of turning all the young people into good little robots and factory workers. That’s why we sit in desks in rows and go by bell schedules, to get prepared for the real world because “that’s what it’s like.” Well god damn it no it isn’t! "

"the human race strives for excellence in life and community, always wanting to bring more “good” into the community and nullify “bad” things. Anyone who thinks differently than the majority or the leaders is deemed “unusual” or weird or crazy. "
Back to top Go down
Undyne

Contribution Points : 102013
Forum Reputation : 27

PostSubject: Re: "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"   "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 2:50 pm

I don't have any favorite quotes from Eric and Dylan because nothing they wrote was even remotely interesting.  "Everyone is just a sheep," isn't some brilliant epiphany.  Eric whined about society because he knew that he would never make a mark on this world without killing anyone. Same with Dylan.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151268
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"   "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Dylan was right. Everything that you see, hear, smell, touch, taste, feel, and know is nothing more than a thought in your head.

If you could make yourself believe that, say, Dave Cullen is nothing more than a psychotic delusion, then he would become thus, and fade into nothingness.

"There is no Dave Cullen - he is only a thought in my head. Be gone, bad thought! Get thee hence!"

*POOF*

So, who's this Dave Cullen guy everyone keeps talking about? I've never heard of him.

"Fucking make me dinner, bitch." - Eric Harris

"What fun is life without a little death?" - Dylan Klebold

gasolinechild

Contribution Points : 85527

PostSubject: Re: "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"   "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 11:53 am

Dylan was clearly a Cartesian idealist, possibly a neoplatonist.

Favorite quote: "The framework of society stands above and below me, the hardest thing to destroy and yet the weakest thing that exists."
Back to top Go down
lol

Contribution Points : 102897
Forum Reputation : 325

PostSubject: Re: "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"   "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 5:38 pm

Squid wrote:
“No, you god damn piece of punk ass shit! Do not mess with that fricken kid! If you do I will rip off your god damn head and shove it so far up your friggen ass that you’ll be coughing up dandruff for four fricken months!” -Dylan Klebold

Jk but really his love letter actually. I think it's one of the most beautiful  things I've read ever.
His whole "diary" is very thought provoking. Because your right many people don't talk from a deeper sense of themselves and the world they rather have sallow and close minded views on life.
His "love letter" (if you can even call it that) was just him feeling sorry for himself. If any girl read that letter they'd think he's a creep, a stalker, and a complete weirdo. Good thing he wasn't dumb enough to actually put it in the girl's locker. She would've probably gotten a restraining order.

His "love letter" screamed nutcase.
Back to top Go down
Squid

Contribution Points : 74596

PostSubject: Re: "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"   "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 11:55 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Then I guess I'm a creep, a stalker, and a complete weirdo Smile
Back to top Go down
em81

Contribution Points : 101374
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"   "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 1:27 pm

heart breaking are the right word what i felt after reading his letter.
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118908
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"   "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 3:13 pm

sororityalpha wrote:

Jeff Kass (Columbine: A True Crime Story) references this part of the conversation on the March 15 part of the Basement Tapes - "I'm going to kill you all," Dylan says to the camera, but then tell Eric, "Shhh. Your Mom can hear a bat breathing." "She hears nothing," Eric answers, then adds, "Let me take you on a tour of my room."

Dr. Peter Langman references this part of the conversation on the March 18 part of the Basement Tapes - A couple of times during the rants Dylan warns Eric to talk more quietly so as not to wake Eric’s parents who are sleeping upstairs.

These are the only sources I could find regarding that quote.

Yep, that's the one.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"   "Thought is the most powerful thing that exists" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Thought is the most powerful thing that exists"
Page 1 of 1