Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen?

Go down 
+3
Belladonna
Nirvana92
anonacc489
7 posters
AuthorMessage
anonacc489

Contribution Points : 74341
Forum Reputation : 0

Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen? Empty
PostSubject: Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen?   Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 10:43 pm

I frequently see a few people talking about the library 911 call and asking for it's full release, which is extremely fucking baffling to me because it's nothing but 3 or so hours of listening to Eric and Dylan scream and yell and shoot and kill people and listening to people beg for their lives.

I can understand wanting the basement tapes to be released, as it's pretty much Eric and Dylan talking about their lives somewhat and seeing the leadup to the actual NBK, but holy shit - the 911 tape? I don't get it.

Why would anyone ever want that to be releaed?
Back to top Go down
Nirvana92

Nirvana92

Contribution Points : 83014
Forum Reputation : 80

PostSubject: Re: Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen?   Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 4:36 am

I wouldnt consider it much weirder than posting on a board about a mass shooting that happened 17 years ago. There's different levels of interest when it comes to true crime. Some people are content enough to read about it in books and case files. Some people crave as much evidence as they can get, no matter how gruesome. I think the majority of people want the 911 tapes so they can hear Eric and Dylan, not the innocent children they murdered.

I don't think its right though to act like "gore hounds" are disgusting people. Death is still very much a part of our collective psyche, no matter how civilized our species has come to be. I myself have been known to visit shock sites every now and then. Do I enjoy what I see? Of course not. That said I do find humanities capability to be violent and cruel fascinating. That same fascination is why boards like this one exist. Listening/watching/looking at pictures of dead bodies may be different from reading through police documents, but it all ties into the same curiosity towards death.
Back to top Go down
Belladonna

Contribution Points : 74264

PostSubject: Re: Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen?   Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 7:06 am

I think because there was so much misrepresentation, cover-ups and lies, people just want to hear the truth themselves. How are we to even know the transcripts are real?
Also maybe it'll actually depict E&D in a different light, put to rest those silly rumours that Dylan was having second thoughts and wasn't fully into what he was doing,, and actually shed some light on what actually happened that day. Victim testimonies in a stressful situations really aren't reliable.

Anonacc, I'm sure if they were released you would listen to them. And I totally would, and I make no apologies for that. I want to know as much as I can to understand what happened.
Back to top Go down
Freezingmoon

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 77295

PostSubject: Re: Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen?   Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 7:57 am

Humans are morbidly curious.  It's just part of who we are.  It's the same reason people stop and look at a vehicle accident.  It's not that we are glad that innocent people were murdered at Columbine......we certainly don't condone what happened that day.  But it is a piece of evidence and the whole tragedy is still shocking even today. We want as many answers as we can get.

Last edited by Freezingmoon on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105213
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen?   Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 8:33 am

Plus its just human nature to want to see things that are out there but just not being released. I'm sure if say the "Rampart Range" video was known to be recorded but never was released, people would be talking about it as much as the basement tapes are talked about, since its a video of them shooting the guns that would take the lives of the kids just a few weeks before the massacre.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 149159
Forum Reputation : 2629

PostSubject: Re: Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen?   Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Scott Glenn, who played Jack Crawford in The Silence of the Lambs, spent some time shadowing an FBI agent to get ready for his role in the film.

At the end of his "apprenticeship," he thanked the FBI agent for "letting me into your world."

"If you really want to know what it's like to live in my world, then listen to this," the FBI agent said. He played an audio tape recorded by a serial killer. The killer had taped himself raping, torturing, and murdering a woman.

Is it any wonder that some cops tend to be fucked-up folks?

My late uncle was a homicide detective in the 1980s, when the city where I live was one of the most violent in America, if not the world. And it screwed with his head.

One Thanksgiving, we were standing in my grandmother's driveway, talking about normal shit. Then, out of the blue, he pulled a shark's tooth out of his pocket.

He said, "You know, if I sliced your jugular vein open" - he pretended to "scrape" it against my neck - "you'd be dead in two minutes. If I left you out in the open, under the sun, you'd bloat and rot. A big guy like you would bloat up to maybe twice your size. If they tried to turn your body over, your skin would burst, and all of your bodily fluids would go all over this driveway."

So, yeah.

Contribution Points : 101988
Forum Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen?   Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 8:56 pm

I would listen to the tapes without a doubt, but I don't think they would reveal very much. The phone was not close enough to get very much. On the sample we have, Eric and Dylan are screaming at full voice and you can't hear what they are saying that well. So nothing said in room voice from most places in the library would be picked up with much clarity.

The exception is the conversation with Evan Todd, which was conducted near the phone and which is reflected in the transcript.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen?   Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why would the 911 tape ever be released? Who would want to even listen?
Page 1 of 1