Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold

Go down 
+13
jada887
Spac3case
Falco
Draw_It_White
Kiwik
PaintItBlack
Freezingmoon
sscc
aquillina
Moonshadow
spinvault
Lizpuff
shades
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 84317
Forum Reputation : 63

Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Empty
PostSubject: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 1:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So let's discuss this in a potentially shallow stance here. I've noticed throughout my time being interested in Columbine (as much as it really doesn't matter, cause who wants to play favouritism between killers) that between the two, Dylan has more, I wouldn't say "fans", but he gets more attention, is favoured more and supported more. Now we know that could be a combination of people who are new into Columbine so they rely on the myths about him and the empathic way he was till his last days, and of course long-time members of the Columbine community who overall just prefer Dylan. But is it fair to say that what we know of Dylan is likely faux and we may be interested in the guy he wants to be seen and remembered as but not who he really was? Was it because that Eric was mostly honest and showed his true colours more that caused him to be less favoured? Because of his anger issues? Because he was vocal?

Why do you think Dylan is favoured more? and as an add on, who are You more biased with and through what aspect it is that you are?

Last edited by shades on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 100524
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 1:38 pm

I can say Dylan as the person he was scares the crap out of me. He deceived so many. I don't think anyone truly knew who he was. I think on the 20 he was the scarier of the two and I cannot imagine looking into his "scary clown" face. Talk about nightmares.

I think there are a ton of Cullen type followers out there that just think Dylan was looking for love and drawing all these hearts so he was guilted or tricked in NBK by evil Eric. I think the fact the Harrises have never spoken out also plays a role

nochcherna and anna444 like this post

Back to top Go down
spinvault

spinvault

Contribution Points : 77678
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 1:59 pm

I think Dylan is favored more because he never allowed anyone to see the real Dylan and he was kinda awkward and though tall, not really a threat. He was thought of as this quiet and shy guy. Eric,on the other hand, was a small dynamo that was loud,aggressive and confrontational.People knew that Eric was high strung and could become very angry at any moment.Eric was the more honest and true person. Eric was honest on the Diversion Program questionaire while Dylan lied. Eric was seeing a therapist and Dylan didn't. Although I imagine if Dylan did see a therapist, he wouldn't be honest or just sit there silent for the entire session if he bothered to even show up at all. Personally, I would prefer Eric than Dylan. At least with Eric, I know what type of personality I am dealing with. Dylan is very scary to me.

Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 2:03 pm

spinvault wrote:
I think Dylan is favored more because he never allowed anyone to see the real Dylan and he was kinda awkward and though tall, not really a threat. He was thought of as this quiet and shy guy. Eric,on the other hand, was a small dynamo that was loud,aggressive and confrontational.People knew that Eric was high strung and could become very angry at any moment.Eric was the more honest and true person. Eric was honest on the Diversion Program questionaire while Dylan lied. Eric was seeing a therapist and Dylan didn't. Although I imagine if Dylan did see a therapist, he wouldn't be honest or just sit there silent for the entire session if he bothered to even show up at all. Personally, I would prefer Eric than Dylan. At least with Eric, I know what type of personality I am dealing with. Dylan is very scary to me.

That is another thing....Dylan was so flippant about life its crazy. He was given a chance at diversion and he blows it off making fun of the program, and making light of his crime. Dylan just makes me irrationally angry irrational because he is of course dead lol

anna444 and Yumi like this post

Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 2:30 pm

I can't bring myself to say that I respect Eric more without it sounding like I condone his homicidal actions, but I do in the sense that he kept it real in his life and he never gave up trying for something he wanted. I think that's a pretty likeable trait. But despite being that way, as you guys said, him being loud and garnering rage threw people off.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 2:31 pm

spinvault wrote:
Eric was the more honest and true person. Eric was honest on the Diversion Program questionaire while Dylan lied. Eric was seeing a therapist and Dylan didn't. Although I imagine if Dylan did see a therapist, he wouldn't be honest or just sit there silent for the entire session if he bothered to even show up at all. Personally, I would prefer Eric than Dylan. At least with Eric, I know what type of personality I am dealing with. Dylan is very scary to me.
Thank you so much for bringing this up.

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 2:34 pm

Plus I think with Sue's recent media attention and book, it really helps Dylan gain more supporters.

Moonshadow

Contribution Points : 76231

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 2:48 pm

At the moment, I am just sitting in the corner, listening to your conversation and nod to your thoughts, having considered this question in my mind before. You guys have already said many of the things I mean.

However, if I had the chance, I would rather be friends with Eric than with Dylan.
Eric was more honest. Even in his antisocial deeds and aggression. And his "You know what I hate?" list became a kind of slogan between me and a friend of mine. Based on this:
"Next time that happens i will rip out 2 of your damn ribs and shove em into your f****n eye balls!!!" - if we experience something very frustrating, we just use the code word "Ribs!" instead of giving a detailed explanation of being mad.

nochcherna, captainbaculum and anna444 like this post

Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Moonshadow wrote:
Based on this:
"Next time that happens i will rip out 2 of your damn ribs and shove em into your f****n eye balls!!!" - if we experience something very frustrating, we just use the code word "Ribs!" instead of giving a detailed explanation of being mad.

Okay, so that's actually kinda adorable. Razz

Contribution Points : 77723

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 3:00 pm

ultraviolencelv wrote:
Plus I think with Sue's recent media attention and book, it really helps Dylan gain more supporters.
If either Wayne or Kathy came out of hiding, would Eric gain just as much supporters/sympathizers than Dylan?

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 3:07 pm

aquillina wrote:
If either Wayne or Kathy came out of hiding, would Eric gain just as much supporters/sympathizers than Dylan?
Depends what they come out to say. Whether it's a book on their life with Eric, or an interview, it really depends. So from then we'd know if it's something to empathise with Eric for or possibly dislike him more since Wayne is known to be kinda robotic and blunt, he's not like Sue, you know, with how she writes and talks about Dyl.

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Eric may have been more honest. Still though I don't think that's any excuse for his temper tantrums. The soccer game freakout, his assault on Brooks Brown. Come to think of it, even Browns favored Dylan more than Eric.

nochcherna likes this post

Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 3:42 pm

aquillina wrote:
Eric may have been more honest. Still though I don't think that's any excuse for his temper tantrums. The soccer game freakout, his assault on Brooks Brown. Come to think of it, even Browns favored Dylan more than Eric.
Well yeah, Brooks was friends with Dylan since they were kids. There's no excuse for his temper tantrums literally because it is who he was. He had an anger issue, IDK when it started, but he had no self control.

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 3:45 pm

Why Dylan? Because he had to struggle with unfulfilled love. In some cases it may be that simple.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 3:45 pm

Come to think of it, if Eric could still maintain a friendship with Dylan, I think it meant that Dylan knew him well enough or play around enough where he wouldn't get Eric angry or tick him off. For Eric to keep more people by his side or be in his favour, I think he had to meet people just like Dylan. but for sure Dylan had to do a lot of tolerating like some of you have mentioned here and a little bit of ass-kissing to keep Eric happy.

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 3:46 pm

TheWitcher wrote:
Why Dylan? Because he had to struggle with unfulfilled love. In some cases it may be that simple.
That's it? He went through unrequited love? Didn't Eric too?

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 3:49 pm

Dylan wasn't so impulsive as Eric was. Eric desired woman's body in feral way. When we compare his notes with Dylan's love letter it becomes obvious.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 3:53 pm

TheWitcher wrote:
Dylan wasn't so impulsive as Eric was. Eric desired woman's body in feral way. When we compare his notes with Dylan's love letter it becomes obvious.
That's true, although in real life when Eric is with a girl he is frozen and chivalrous, though many have debated it's a typical act.

So because Dylan desired girls or a girl in a more...idk, poetic, dreamer romance sort of way he gets liked more? Because he's like a broken prince?

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 4:06 pm

ultraviolencelv wrote:
TheWitcher wrote:
That's it? He went through unrequited love? Didn't Eric too?
Columbine was probably not the best place to meet nice girls. Teen dating is very complicated.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 4:06 pm

IMO it's because of his appearance. Tall, skinny and acting in clumsy way guy. He is similar to movie's stereotype of a guy who can't find a gf. I don't want to say that but other people may feel compassion for him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 4:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Great topic to discuss. Were girls spoiled there? Keep in mind that it was happening 17-20 years ago and people may act less superficial. Are Columbine and St. Barbara College- where Elliot Rodger attended- comparable in this way?
Back to top Go down
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 4:19 pm

aquillina wrote:

Unfortunately, now it is only Kathy who could come out (if she wanted); Wayne Harris passed away in 2014, according to geni.com confused

Back to top Go down
aquillina

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Moonshadow wrote:
aquillina wrote:

Unfortunately, now it is only Kathy who could come out (if she wanted); Wayne Harris passed away in 2014, according to geni.com  confused
WTF????!!!!! Is this legit?

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Well, I thought Wayne Harris is very much alive?

Back to top Go down
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 4:34 pm

I am not sure, but geni.com doesn't seem to be a fake site. It is possible that this site hasn't got the correct infos anyway, but also possible that this is correct. Really don't know.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 4:34 pm

I think that link was debunked and Wayne is still alive. If he were to have passed on would there be an article about it?

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 4:37 pm

TheWitcher wrote:
IMO it's because of his appearance. Tall, skinny and acting in clumsy way guy. He is similar to movie's stereotype of a guy who can't find a gf. I don't want to say that but other people may feel compassion for him.
Well I guess this would make some form of sense however there's also still a group of people who find Eric's sort of look attractive despite the fact that him being a tad bit short was almost a flaw. In response to your question, sure the 90s weren't that superficial however I think Columbine's girls were prissy, uptight, conservative and had this superiority complex about themselves. Very religion-abiding, always focused on the popular guys and being on top. Groups who liked different things and dressed differently were a huge ass deal.

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 4:41 pm

The Wayne thing was debunked. He is still alive!

shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 4:59 pm

Anyway, who's to say that Dylan didn't have dirty, objectifying and violent thoughts too but he just never penned it down. Writing is writing, we don't know what's inside him.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 5:32 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
The Wayne thing was debunked.  He is still alive!

Ohh, good to know cyclops Thanks!
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 87962
Forum Reputation : 773

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 6:52 pm

ultraviolencelv wrote:
Anyway, who's to say that Dylan didn't have dirty, objectifying and violent thoughts too but he just never penned it down. Writing is writing, we don't know what's inside him.
Well, he liked bondage (extremely liked, apparently) and had a foot fetish. But I'm sure it was a very gentle and pure bondage and foot fetish. Eric, on the other hand, was obviously an animal.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Huh?! gentle bondage? Bondage is bondage, do you know how hardcore and animalistic bondage is! I don't think you can justify or weigh out various sexual pleasures. Foot fetish is mild but bondage is as rippy and intense Eric described his desires. Just because Dylan apologised for liking these things doesn't make him empathetic now, it's people like Dylan who will surprise you once he's comfortable with his sins. All the hooting and hollering he did on 4/20, imagine that in the bedroom with a willing girl.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 7:38 pm

aquillina wrote:
ultraviolencelv wrote:

I think it would help. I think the Harris's are probably good people, Wayne being someone who is probably quite humble and wants to deal with things privately. I kind of agree in some ways to their silence. They have had enough pain in their lives, they don't need to be on TV or being interviewed- whether they "owe" it or not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 7:42 pm

ultraviolencelv wrote:
TheWitcher wrote:
That's true, although in real life when Eric is with a girl he is frozen and chivalrous, though many have debated it's a typical act.

So because Dylan desired girls or a girl in a more...idk, poetic, dreamer romance sort of way he gets liked more? Because he's like a broken prince?

Doubt it was an act. Have you ever been a 16yr old horny male? I used to write fiction as a wolf hunting girls while I listened to Metallica- and in person shy and normal. Would I kill someone back then? Hell no. 16 yr old's say stupid shit all the time, doesn't mean they're acting when they are shy around girls.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 7:52 pm

x5000x wrote:

Doubt it was an act. Have you ever been a 16yr old horny male? I used to write fiction as a wolf hunting girls while I listened to Metallica- and in person shy and normal. Would I kill someone back then? Hell no. 16 yr old's say stupid shit all the time, doesn't mean they're acting when they are shy around girls.
those were my thoughts, but I can't deny with the shared sentiment that there's no way to tell if Eric consciously acted nice but was deviant or ready to pounce, or he genuinely was flushed face to face with girls. But honestly, he's interaction with Brandi on video is pretty telling.

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 11:46 pm

x5000x wrote:
I used to write fiction as a wolf hunting girls while I listened to Metallica

Back to top Go down
sscc

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 12:15 am

x5000x wrote:

You should have been listening to this instead of Metallica. Eric would have approved.

Back to top Go down
sscc

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 12:28 am

ultraviolencelv wrote:
Huh?! gentle bondage? Bondage is bondage, do you know how hardcore and animalistic bondage is! I don't think you can justify or weigh out various sexual pleasures. Foot fetish is mild but bondage is as rippy and intense Eric described his desires. Just because Dylan apologised for liking these things doesn't make him empathetic now, it's people like Dylan who will surprise you once he's comfortable with his sins. All the hooting and hollering he did on 4/20, imagine that in the bedroom with a willing girl.

It's hard to convey meaning over text but just imagine that I added this smiley to the of my sentence: Rolling Eyes

I think both Eric and Dylan liked the idea of sexually dominating girls but that's probably not particularly rare. I think with Dylan people tend to interpret what he said more innocently and anything Eric said is likely to be interpreted in the most sinister way imaginable so I was just poking fun.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 5:59 am

sscc wrote:
I think both Eric and Dylan liked the idea of sexually dominating girls but that's probably not particularly rare. I think with Dylan people tend to interpret what he said more innocently and anything Eric said is likely to be interpreted in the most sinister way imaginable so I was just poking fun.
Oh okay okay, got it.

and lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 81845

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 12:09 pm

Our culture romanticizes the idea of a brooding, misunderstood, male loner who happens to be an asshole to many people, but secretly has a heart of gold.

I think Dylan fits this profile better than Eric simply because of all his talk of finding love in his journal, his little hearts, and the fact that he never actually had a girlfriend or even so much as a date (Robyn doesn't count....b/c they were simply friends and nothing more).

Eric, on the other hand, did actually have several girls he went on dates with. I know nothing lasted or became serious, but I think it's difficult for people to see Eric the same way as they see Dylan because Eric actually had several chances to make it work with a girl.  Dylan didn't have even one date.

Personally, as far as character and personality go, I feel neutral about them both. There just simply isn't enough information to make a sound decision.  Dylan didn't have a chance to have a relationship.  And Eric may have been shy and soft spoken around girls, but this does not necessarily indicate evidence of kindness. In fact he could have been a wolf in sheep's clothing.

If we are basing likability off looks and mannerisms (and ignoring the fact that they were 2 very disturbed individuals), I'd say that I lean more towards Eric. I don't feel like his height was such a huge deal (he was 5'8.5" or 5.9"and I really don't see that as being that short). I find his prompt, punctual, blunt, straight-forward personality to be more appealing than Dylan's dreamy, lackadaisical, depressive personality. In terms of looks, Eric's face is more appealing and his clothing looks clean and put together while Dylan's clothing always looks dirty, too baggy, and sloppy.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
aquillina

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 1:08 pm

TheWitcher wrote:

Great topic to discuss. Were girls spoiled there? Keep in mind that it was happening 17-20 years ago and people may act less superficial. Are Columbine and St. Barbara College- where Elliot Rodger attended- comparable in this way?
I think teenagers in general are spoiled-rotten. I know I was. And not very many of them have relationships that last beyond college or at least it's very rare. Poor Eric and Dylan they had no idea what they've missed out.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
aquillina

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Freezingmoon wrote:
Our culture romanticizes the idea of a brooding, misunderstood, male loner who happens to be an asshole to many people, but secretly has a heart of gold.

I think Dylan fits this profile better than Eric simply because of all his talk of finding love in his journal, his little hearts, and the fact that he never actually had a girlfriend or even so much as a date (Robyn doesn't count....b/c they were simply friends and nothing more).

Eric, on the other hand, did actually have several girls he went on dates with. I know nothing lasted or became serious, but I think it's difficult for people to see Eric the same way as they see Dylan because Eric actually had several chances to make it work with a girl.  Dylan didn't have even one date.

Personally, as far as character and personality go, I feel neutral about them both. There just simply isn't enough information to make a sound decision.  Dylan didn't have a chance to have a relationship.  And Eric may have been shy and soft spoken around girls, but this does not necessarily indicate evidence of kindness. In fact he could have been a wolf in sheep's clothing.

If we are basing likability off looks and mannerisms (and ignoring the fact that they were 2 very disturbed individuals), I'd say that I lean more towards Eric. I don't feel like his height was such a huge deal (he was 5'8.5" or 5.9"and I really don't see that as being that short). I find his prompt, punctual, blunt, straight-forward personality to be more appealing than Dylan's dreamy, lackadaisical, depressive personality. In terms of looks, Eric's face is more appealing and his clothing looks clean and put together while Dylan's clothing always looks dirty, too baggy, and sloppy.

So Dylan was too shy, too self-conscious and an impulsive daydreamer while Eric tried too hard to be a ladies man in which he failed miserably. I questioned Dylan's personal hygiene. Did he ever smell? Like I've mentioned earlier Columbine was bad place to search for nice girls.

Last edited by aquillina on Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 1:14 pm

Freezingmoon wrote:

Eric, on the other hand, did actually have several girls he went on dates with. I know nothing lasted or became serious, but I think it's difficult for people to see Eric the same way as they see Dylan because Eric actually had several chances to make it work with a girl. Dylan didn't have even one date.

Personally, as far as character and personality go, I feel neutral about them both. There just simply isn't enough information to make a sound decision. Dylan didn't have a chance to have a relationship. And Eric may have been shy and soft spoken around girls, but this does not necessarily indicate evidence of kindness. In fact he could have been a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Wow.

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 1:16 pm

aquillina wrote:
So Dylan was too shy, too self-conscience and an impulsive daydreamer while Eric tried too hard to be a ladies man in which he failed miserably. I questioned Dylan's personal hygiene. Did he ever smell?
I personally feel that Eric's You Know What I Hate rant about hating people who lack personal hygiene might be a dig at him. If I had to guess what Dylan smelt like, it's probably nicotine, male-grease, slight hint of BO and cotton.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 3:11 pm

Freezingmoon wrote:

Very good thoughts!

I understand that they both suffered a lot with lack of success at dating and girls in general. Sometimes I find it ironical: now that they are gone, there are so many young girls who find them cute or hot (I always notice they do not only say "attractive" or "handsome", but "hot"... projecting their inner ideals, or what?), and they even create polls on the question "whom would you prefer to have? is it rather Eric, or Dylan who is your type?"

For me, it is fun to read that you lean more towards Eric. I often think I would like to have a friend like him - exactly because of his traits you mentioned. Prompt, punctual, blunt, straight-forward. Someone who is so reliable and loyal (and so willing to contribute) that I would gladly go mountaineering or doing other, extremely demanding outdoor activities with him.

When it comes to looks and mannerisms: I see what you mean. But remember that Eric's dad was a military officer, so he would surely never tolerate untidy clothing style or too long hair from his sons. Maybe Dylan's parents were more forgiving and so he could allow himself to be more messy?

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 100916
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 4:23 am

People are more sympathetic for Dylan because he left behind all these flowery ,poetic writings about longing for true love.And his writings are beautiful.To me, some have a spiritual quality.
Plus for a long time Dylan was portrayed as a follower so people figured he must have been led into this somehow.
His Mom's book really reinforces that as she makes Dylan seem like a wonderful kid who was led by evil , no good Eric into this because he was depressed and vulnerable.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 100916
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 4:29 am

ultraviolencelv wrote:
aquillina wrote:
So Dylan was too shy, too self-conscience and an impulsive daydreamer while Eric tried too hard to be a ladies man in which he failed miserably. I questioned Dylan's personal hygiene. Did he ever smell?
I personally feel that Eric's You Know What I Hate rant about hating people who lack personal hygiene might be a dig at him. If I had to guess what Dylan smelt like, it's probably nicotine, male-grease, slight hint of BO and cotton.

I am not sure of this. Dylan's Mom said that she although she felt Dylan's hair looked sloppy he kept it clean.
I don't think Dylan's parents would have allowed him to go around with BO even if he wanted to.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 10:36 am

PaintItBlack wrote:
I am not sure of this. Dylan's Mom said that she although she felt Dylan's hair looked sloppy he kept it clean.
I don't think Dylan's parents would have allowed him to go around with BO even if he wanted to.
I was just kidding, hahah. But who knows really, he might have reeked a little? He just looks so greasy. He had to have.

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 81845

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 11:12 am

Moonshadow wrote:
Freezingmoon wrote:

Very good thoughts!

I understand that they both suffered a lot with lack of success at dating and girls in general. Sometimes I find it ironical: now that they are gone, there are so many young girls who find them cute or hot (I always notice they do not only say "attractive" or "handsome", but "hot"... projecting their inner ideals, or what?), and they even create polls on the question "whom would you prefer to have? is it rather Eric, or Dylan who is your type?"

For me, it is fun to read that you lean more towards Eric. I often think I would like to have a friend like him - exactly because of his traits you mentioned. Prompt, punctual, blunt, straight-forward. Someone who is so reliable and loyal (and so willing to contribute) that I would gladly go mountaineering or doing other, extremely demanding outdoor activities with him.

When it comes to looks and mannerisms: I see what you mean. But remember that Eric's dad was a military officer, so he would surely never tolerate untidy clothing style or too long hair from his sons. Maybe Dylan's parents were more forgiving and so he could allow himself to be more messy?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], yes, I agree with you about Eric being a loyal friend. If you could remove violence and homicide from Eric's personality, he could have actually been a great friend. He writes about Dylan so much more in his journal than Dylan writes about him. And when he writes about Dylan you get the feeling that he admires and looks up to Dylan.....or at least respects him a lot. When I read Dylan's journal I get the feeling that Dylan was just kind of like "meh....I guess Eric will do". I can't help but wonder.....what if Dylan had changed his mind and told Eric he didn't think NBK was a good idea? Would Eric have gone along with it? Would Eric have been pissed off? What if one of the two could have persuaded the other one to focus on doing something positive rather than murdering people?

I know this is a weird analogy, but I get the feeling that Dylan was like the queen or king ant, and Eric was like a little worker ant. Dylan sat back and dreamed about his halcyon girl and wallowed in depression while Eric got busy and did all the work and planning for NBK. Sometimes I wonder if Eric got so caught up in his obsession with violence and hurting everyone that he forgot that he was going to die that day as well. He states that he doesn't care about dying, but in another part of his journal he writes about the possibility of him and "V" escaping and moving to Mexico or some island where they can't be caught. While Eric is entertaining the possibility of a life after the massacre with Dylan, Dylan never even entertains the idea of surviving and doesn't give a crap about his or Eric's fate. Because of Eric's minute desire to live, I can't help but wonder if maybe there was hope for him....maybe he could have been talked out of it and obtained help for his violence and anger issues.

Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic. I guess it's just human nature to want to see the good in people and not accept that some people are just violent and bad. I think this is where a lot of the cognitive dissonance of fangirls comes from. Instead of seeing them as 2 violent murderers, they choose to see E&D as 2 lost souls who needed help. I don't think there's really any wrong or right way to look at things. Everything is just a matter of perception. But in the end, whether they were loyal or lost or needed help or whatever, they chose to murder people Sad

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 11:22 am

Freezingmoon wrote:
If you could remove violence and homicide from Eric's personality, he could have actually been a great friend. He writes about Dylan so much more in his journal than Dylan writes about him. And when he writes about Dylan you get the feeling that he admires and looks up to Dylan.....or at least respects him a lot. When I read Dylan's journal I get the feeling that Dylan was just kind of like "meh....I guess Eric will do". I can't help but wonder.....what if Dylan had changed his mind and told Eric he didn't think NBK was a good idea? Would Eric have gone along with it? Would Eric have been pissed off? What if one of the two could have persuaded the other one to focus on doing something positive rather than murdering people?

I know this is a weird analogy, but I get the feeling that Dylan was like the queen or king ant, and Eric was like a little worker ant. Dylan sat back and dreamed about his halcyon girl and wallowed in depression while Eric got busy and did all the work and planning for NBK. Sometimes I wonder if Eric got so caught up in his obsession with violence and hurting everyone that he forgot that he was going to die that day as well. He states that he doesn't care about dying, but in another part of his journal he writes about the possibility of him and "V" escaping and moving to Mexico or some island where they can't be caught. While Eric is entertaining the possibility of a life after the massacre with Dylan, Dylan never even entertains the idea of surviving and doesn't give a crap about his or Eric's fate. Because of Eric's minute desire to live, I can't help but wonder if maybe there was hope for him....maybe he could have been talked out of it and obtained help for his violence and anger issues.

This is amazing. You are not alone with wondering that, so have I. The both of them could have been friends till adult life, check up on one another in a very honest, civil, you-my-bro sort of way you know. and I agree that Dylan seemed more meh about the both of them, which I'm wondering if it's because he came with a circle of good friends before Eric - meaning Nate, Chris, Brooks. Nate is actually much more closer to Dylan and his family than Eric was. Hence in Dyl's eyes Eric was just good enough, but for Eric Dylan was all that he had.
I think Eric might have listened to Dylan if he changed his mind about NBK. As I said previously in another thread, Eric may have gotten mad about it, but he would settle down eventually if Dylan remains by his side and tells him it's all gonna be okay. I really think he would abide to Dylan's choices.

Freezingmoon wrote:
While Eric is entertaining the possibility of a life after the massacre with Dylan, Dylan never even entertains the idea of surviving and doesn't give a crap about his or Eric's fate. Because of Eric's minute desire to live, I can't help but wonder if maybe there was hope for him....maybe he could have been talked out of it and obtained help for his violence and anger issues.
I have always thought this and it still makes me sad. I do believe Eric could have been saved. I do believe he wanted to get out alive somehow. Infact, I believe he wished some things changed for him and picked up at the last minute.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next