Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

 

 Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine

Go down 
+6
shades
Sabratha
Draw_It_White
Lizpuff
TheSpiral
LPorter101
10 posters
AuthorMessage
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101


Posts : 2764
Contribution Points : 148668
Forum Reputation : 2579
Join date : 2013-12-01
Location : South Florida

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 12:41 am

On this day seventeen years ago - Thursday, September 23, 1999 - Dave Cullen published the very first version of Cullenbine. It wasn't a book, but an article in Salon:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This was the article in which Cullen debunked the "She said yes" myth. Reporters for the Denver newspapers knew the story was a myth, but they weren't willing to report what they knew. Cullen was, and did. He does deserve credit for that.

The words "psychopath" and "depressive" do not appear in this article. Cullen's first article characterizing Eric and Dylan as "the psycho and the emo" appeared on the fifth anniversary of the massacre in 2004.

Interestingly, Cullen wrote this:

Quote :
The investigation has shattered the perception that Harris led the rampage and Klebold was barely more than a hapless follower. While Klebold seemed to have the more passive personality, one source after another stressed that they were “equal partners” in the assault. Among other details, forensic evidence confirms that they were responsible for a nearly equal split of the murders.

The investigation shattered that perception, but Cullen spent a lot of time gluing it back together in his book.

I've been away from the board for a while, and I can't come back right now, but I'll toss out this question: Is the general consensus here still that Cullen is wrong when he insists that Eric was a psychopath and Dylan was his cowering little emo sidekick? I hope so. Because he is.

Before I go, let me point out that, as of November 26 - the Saturday after Thanksgiving - Dylan will have been dead for as long as he was alive. Food for thought.

Take care, everyone.

_________________
Why does anyone do anything?
Back to top Go down
TheSpiral

TheSpiral


Posts : 550
Contribution Points : 74564
Forum Reputation : 63
Join date : 2016-04-15
Age : 24
Location : Croatia

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 1:33 am

Cullen is wrong, but it baffles me how he can stick with his story for so long, even tho a lot of people have called him out for his bs.

_________________
Falling out of airplanes and hiding out in holes
Waiting for the sunset to come, people going home
Jump out from behind them and shoot them in the head
Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff


Posts : 2677
Contribution Points : 95874
Forum Reputation : 1190
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 36

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 5:47 am

LPorter101 wrote:
On this day seventeen years ago - Thursday, September 23, 1999 - Dave Cullen published the very first version of Cullenbine. It wasn't a book, but an article in Salon:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This was the article in which Cullen debunked the "She said yes" myth. Reporters for the Denver newspapers knew the story was a myth, but they weren't willing to report what they knew. Cullen was, and did. He does deserve credit for that.

The words "psychopath" and "depressive" do not appear in this article. Cullen's first article characterizing Eric and Dylan as "the psycho and the emo" appeared on the fifth anniversary of the massacre in 2004.

Interestingly, Cullen wrote this:

Quote :
The investigation has shattered the perception that Harris led the rampage and Klebold was barely more than a hapless follower. While Klebold seemed to have the more passive personality, one source after another stressed that they were “equal partners” in the assault. Among other details, forensic evidence confirms that they were responsible for a nearly equal split of the murders.

The investigation shattered that perception, but Cullen spent a lot of time gluing it back together in his book.

I've been away from the board for a while, and I can't come back right now, but I'll toss out this question: Is the general consensus here still that Cullen is wrong when he insists that Eric was a psychopath and Dylan was his cowering little emo sidekick? I hope so. Because he is.

Before I go, let me point out that, as of November 26 - the Saturday after Thanksgiving - Dylan will have been dead for as long as he was alive. Food for thought.

Take care, everyone.

It is interesting you point out the Dylan thing because I was thinking of that the other day. April 30 next year will mark that same date for Eric.

And yes....I think that generally speaking the consensus around here is still that Cullen is wrong in his opinions.

I very much doubt he will ever admit to being wrong or getting facts wrong ever
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White


Posts : 1112
Contribution Points : 97618
Forum Reputation : 104
Join date : 2014-01-27
Age : 39
Location : England

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 6:20 am

I haven't seen anything from Cullen since he blocked me from his Twitter account.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha


Posts : 1664
Contribution Points : 97290
Forum Reputation : 440
Join date : 2015-03-31
Location : The Masovian Lowland

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 6:48 am

LPorter101 wrote:

I've been away from the board for a while, and I can't come back right now, but I'll toss out this question: Is the general consensus here still that Cullen is wrong when he insists that Eric was a psychopath and Dylan was his cowering little emo sidekick? I hope so. Because he is.

Before I go, let me point out that, as of November 26 - the Saturday after Thanksgiving - Dylan will have been dead for as long as he was alive. Food for thought.

Take care, everyone.

You know my opinion:
  • Yes Eric was a psychopath by all evidence we have.
  • No, Dylan was a very active planner of the massacre, a disturbed individual who by all evidence already fantasized about violence and suicide before Eric did. He was not asidekick, he was an equal partner in crime.

_________________
Life is like a tram - you need to know when to get off.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
shades

shades


Posts : 2382
Contribution Points : 79436
Forum Reputation : 38
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 8:19 am

Lizpuff wrote:
April 30 next year will mark that same date for Eric.
What no way that's my birthday.

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
shades

shades


Posts : 2382
Contribution Points : 79436
Forum Reputation : 38
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 8:21 am

Eric was not a psychopath.

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff


Posts : 2677
Contribution Points : 95874
Forum Reputation : 1190
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 36

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 8:25 am

shades wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
April 30 next year will mark that same date for Eric.
What no way that's my birthday.

Oooh sorry for mentioning it!
Back to top Go down
shades

shades


Posts : 2382
Contribution Points : 79436
Forum Reputation : 38
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 8:28 am

That will be the date that Eric has been dead for as long as he was alive so 18 years exactly?

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff


Posts : 2677
Contribution Points : 95874
Forum Reputation : 1190
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 36

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 8:32 am

shades wrote:
That will be the date that Eric has been dead for as long as he was alive so 18 years exactly?

Yes May 1 2017 will mark the day that Eric has officially been dead for longer than he was alive. Nov 27 for Dylan. Here is some math bc I have nothing to do today

Dylan
Days he was alive:
6430 days OR
17 years 7 months and 9 days
Day that is the exact same amount of time since he died:
November 26 2016
Day he will officially be dead longer than he was alive:
November 27 2016

Eric
Days he was alive:
6585 days OR
18 years and 11 days
Day that is the exact same amount of time since he died:
April 30 2017
Day he will officially be dead longer than he was alive:
May 1 2017
Back to top Go down
shades

shades


Posts : 2382
Contribution Points : 79436
Forum Reputation : 38
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 8:43 am

Sad and fascinatingggggg. wow. What a morbid coincidence hahah. It's approaching the days where the boys will be dead longer than alive yet the history of their massacre lives on.

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
philosopher_king

philosopher_king


Posts : 187
Contribution Points : 101047
Forum Reputation : 8
Join date : 2013-03-15
Location : somewhere that you are not.

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 11:51 am

Recently, I was listening to an interview on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation who were interviewing a new York city resident. There was a bombing and he gave his initial impressions. That was Dave Cullen. No mention of Columbine or mentioning the fact he is a writer as far as I am aware of.

I do think he is reasonably good when he is able to get feedback from his interview subjects. When he doesn't he is indirectly carrying his own bias and may unnecessary misrepresent how people may feel or how they describe themselves.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack


Posts : 1656
Contribution Points : 96266
Forum Reputation : 52
Join date : 2014-02-11
Age : 37

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 6:01 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
On this day seventeen years ago - Thursday, September 23, 1999 - Dave Cullen published the very first version of Cullenbine. It wasn't a book, but an article in Salon:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This was the article in which Cullen debunked the "She said yes" myth. Reporters for the Denver newspapers knew the story was a myth, but they weren't willing to report what they knew. Cullen was, and did. He does deserve credit for that.

The words "psychopath" and "depressive" do not appear in this article. Cullen's first article characterizing Eric and Dylan as "the psycho and the emo" appeared on the fifth anniversary of the massacre in 2004.

Interestingly, Cullen wrote this:

Quote :
The investigation has shattered the perception that Harris led the rampage and Klebold was barely more than a hapless follower. While Klebold seemed to have the more passive personality, one source after another stressed that they were “equal partners” in the assault. Among other details, forensic evidence confirms that they were responsible for a nearly equal split of the murders.

The investigation shattered that perception, but Cullen spent a lot of time gluing it back together in his book.

I've been away from the board for a while, and I can't come back right now, but I'll toss out this question: Is the general consensus here still that Cullen is wrong when he insists that Eric was a psychopath and Dylan was his cowering little emo sidekick? I hope so. Because he is.

Before I go, let me point out that, as of November 26 - the Saturday after Thanksgiving - Dylan will have been dead for as long as he was alive. Food for thought.

Take care, everyone.


Very nice to see you LPorter.
As far as your questions, yes! Cullenbine is a disgrace.It should be officially classified as fiction.

_________________
We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 6:12 pm

LPorter! YES, Hope things are going great for you Sir! Miss your words...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2016 3:12 pm

Dolph Lundgren has spoken.
Back to top Go down
jada887

jada887


Posts : 210
Contribution Points : 75228
Forum Reputation : 175
Join date : 2016-09-29
Age : 40
Location : Santa Monica, California

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2016 7:19 pm

shades wrote:
Eric was not a psychopath.

We will never know because Eric was barely 18 when he died. I have been told by my friend, who is a clinical psychologist, that you can't diagnose a client with that type of disorder until the subject is over 18,  and the frontal lobe part of the brain stops developing. Even so, that's not to say he wasn't on his way to becoming one. Henry Lee Lucas comes to mind. But we will never know for certain because we know so little about Eric's childhood, other than he was a military brat and had a bizarre childhood fascination with guns and explosives. We also know that he enjoyed mutilating his GI Joes, which he bought from a friend after his chest surgery in junior high. Other than that, there's not much.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2016 11:51 am

Draw_It_White wrote:
I haven't seen anything from Cullen since he blocked me from his Twitter account.

He blocked me too. I never said a single word to him about his book, but he was VERY obviously drunk tweeting once and it was getting ugly. I tweeted something along the lines of "dude, you're drunk, put the phone away" and he sent me a really sanctimonious DM about how badly I had hurt his feelings and what a terrible person I must be. Then he blocked me. The guy has (or at least, had at that time) a serious and obvious drinking problem. Drunk tweeting when you're a public figure on any level is a major clue, and that kind of defensiveness when called on it is a big sign of denial. I feel for him and hope he gets/has gotten help.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades


Posts : 2382
Contribution Points : 79436
Forum Reputation : 38
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2016 11:57 am

lurking_dragonfly wrote:
He blocked me too. I never said a single word to him about his book, but he was VERY obviously drunk tweeting once and it was getting ugly. I tweeted something along the lines of "dude, you're drunk, put the phone away" and he sent me a really sanctimonious DM about how badly I had hurt his feelings and what a terrible person I must be. Then he blocked me. The guy has (or at least, had at that time) a serious and obvious drinking problem. Drunk tweeting when you're a public figure on any level is a major clue, and that kind of defensiveness when called on it is a big sign of denial. I feel for him and hope he gets/has gotten help.

lol this is HILARIOUS

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
jada887

jada887


Posts : 210
Contribution Points : 75228
Forum Reputation : 175
Join date : 2016-09-29
Age : 40
Location : Santa Monica, California

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2016 4:12 pm

[quote="shades"]
lurking_dragonfly wrote:
He blocked me too. I never said a single word to him about his book, but he was VERY obviously drunk tweeting once and it was getting ugly. I tweeted something along the lines of "dude, you're drunk, put the phone away" and he sent me a really sanctimonious DM about how badly I had hurt his feelings and what a terrible person I must be. Then he blocked me. The guy has (or at least, had at that time) a serious and obvious drinking problem. Drunk tweeting when you're a public figure on any level is a major clue, and that kind of defensiveness when called on it is a big sign of denial. I feel for him and hope he gets/has gotten help.

I got into a match with Cullen. I can't remember what it was about. I think it might have been about his upcoming book or something . He then blocked me on twitter.

I don't think he's a bad person or anything. He just can't contain his anger.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack


Posts : 1656
Contribution Points : 96266
Forum Reputation : 52
Join date : 2014-02-11
Age : 37

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Let us all be in continual hope that the awful movie based on Cullenbine that Lifetime was thinking about making back in 2012 is never made by them or anyone else.
They got a lot of criticism including some from a few victims families and they backed off but someone could always end up trying to film it.You never know.
I can see a company trying to get it out for the 2oth or 25th Anniversary.Shudders.

_________________
We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
jada887

jada887


Posts : 210
Contribution Points : 75228
Forum Reputation : 175
Join date : 2016-09-29
Age : 40
Location : Santa Monica, California

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2016 1:22 pm

PaintItBlack wrote:
Let us all be in continual hope that the awful movie based on Cullenbine that Lifetime was thinking about making back in 2012 is never made by them or anyone else.

Lifetime. Oh, God. silent

Was Cullen's book supposed to be based off of the movie? The only documentary I remember seeing was the Discovery Channel's Zero Hour, a pieced together account of the tragedy from eyewitnesses. I have no doubt Lifetime would make caricatures out of the shooters/victims. Not a good scenario.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack


Posts : 1656
Contribution Points : 96266
Forum Reputation : 52
Join date : 2014-02-11
Age : 37

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2016 4:44 pm

jada887 wrote:
PaintItBlack wrote:
Let us all be in continual hope that the awful movie based on Cullenbine that Lifetime was thinking about making back in 2012 is never made by them or anyone else.

Lifetime. Oh, God. silent

Was Cullen's book supposed to be based off of the movie? The only documentary I remember seeing was the Discovery Channel's Zero Hour, a pieced together account of the tragedy from eyewitnesses. I have no doubt Lifetime would make caricatures out of the shooters/victims. Not a good scenario.


No, Lifetime was going to base the movie entirely off the book.

_________________
We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
jada887

jada887


Posts : 210
Contribution Points : 75228
Forum Reputation : 175
Join date : 2016-09-29
Age : 40
Location : Santa Monica, California

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2016 2:14 pm

PaintItBlack wrote:
jada887 wrote:
PaintItBlack wrote:
Let us all be in continual hope that the awful movie based on Cullenbine that Lifetime was thinking about making back in 2012 is never made by them or anyone else.

Lifetime. Oh, God. silent

Was Cullen's book supposed to be based off of the movie? The only documentary I remember seeing was the Discovery Channel's Zero Hour, a pieced together account of  the tragedy from eyewitnesses. I have no doubt Lifetime would make caricatures out of the shooters/victims. Not a good scenario.


No, Lifetime was going to base the movie entirely off the book.

Yikes.
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator


Posts : 175
Contribution Points : 72945
Forum Reputation : 175
Join date : 2016-10-06

Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 2:31 pm

Cullen is an opportunist and thankfully LPorter you have been there to call him out on the carpet. Salon...Really??? I read the exchange between you and Cullen on a website sometime back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine   Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Today (Sept. 23) is the 17th anniversary of Cullenbine
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Columbine 17th anniversary
» Movie based on Rachel Scott to be released on 17th anniversary
» dylan's 17th birthday card
» Cleaning Cullenbine
» Cullenbine in Czech

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: