Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes

Go down 
+9
Laeda
Undyne
TEC
carrie12
tragedy79
tfsa47090
Jenn
JDM87
queenfarooq
13 posters
AuthorMessage
queenfarooq

Contribution Points : 102412
Forum Reputation : 10

Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Empty
PostSubject: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Since i'm pretty bad at distinguishing between Eric and Dylan's handwriting I didn't attribute some of the quotes to either boy unless it was pretty obvious.
Please correct me if I got any of these wrong, I had notes all over the place on my computer. Many of the spellings are the same as they were in the documents, also many songs, movies or bands are referenced numerous times, not all of these references are included here. I know this is a really long list and there is still a great deal missing, there's many instances where Dylan in particular writes down quotes that very well could be song lyrics or movie quotes.

Music

KMFDM
Both boys particularly Eric made countless references to the band, I think it's safe to assume KMFDM was a favorite.
Eric mentions "Songs from bands like...KMFDM" pg (26113) and "I need some KMFDM" pg (26173) There is an order form from "KMFDM inc" for Eric which includes Godlike poster, tour poster and video special pg (26186) He also mentions "KMFDM is a favorite of mine" in his 25 things essay pg (26189) Eric writes the song title "Kein Mitlied" pg (26010) Eric writes the lyrics to the songs "Son of a Gun" pg(26552) "Waste" pg(26553) and "Stray Bullet" pg(26555) Eric quoted Anarchy in Nate Dykeman's yearbook pg(10713) He also quoted Dogma in Dylan's yearbook pg(26496) Dylan writes "KMFDM - Brute" pg(26441)
Dylan also wore a KMFDM shirt in the "interview" with no sound with what looks like the Xtort album cover picture.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Eric is wearing KMFDM Tour 97 shirt in the E.I.C video
There are numerous KMFDM drawings throughout the boys documents pg (25979) A receipt from Angelo's CD's and Tapes indicates one of the boys bought the KMFDM album Agogo. pg(26181)

Rammstein
Eric particularly is full of Rammstein quotes all over the place "then you can just Buck Dich" pg (26005) in his rant about the van break in. He frequently mentions the band in his school planner pg (26077) and in his school work pg (26189). Like with KMFDM there is evidence Eric translated lyrics to the following songs: Du Hast pg (26586 - 7), Du Riechst So Gut pg (26589) Engle pg (26591 -2), Guilty (26608), Herzleid pg (26623), Kokain pg (26633),Heirate Mich pg (26699 -0), Buck Dich pg (26706), Tier pg (26707), Bestrafe Mich pg (26708), Klavier pg (26709) Wilder Wein pg (26766) Weises Fleisch pg (26764) Some of these have "Translated by Reb" typed on them so i'm pretty sure they all belonged to Eric and they are with his school essays. Eric also had the sticker in the rear window of his car and had a Rammstein T-Shirt on in his Junior year school picture: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
"Rammstein" is mentioned in Dylans journal pg (26452) One of the boys purchased "Stripped" CD

Dylan mentions "the KMFDM and Rammstein concerts" in Eric's junior yearbook pg(26238)

Angelo's Cd's and Tapes Music Recipts:
"Lights of Eu Voices" - Lights of Euphoria - Voices pg (26179)
"Electric Hel Burn Baby Bu" - Electric Hellfire Club - Burn Baby Burn pg (26179)
"Funker Vogt Killing Time" - Funker Vogt - Killing Time Again pg (26179)
"Die Krupps - Fatherland" pg (26181)
"Nosferatu - Rise"
pg (26181)
"Front 242 - Front by Fro" - Front 242 - Front by Front pg (26181)
"Front 242 - Tyranny" - Front 242 - Tyranny (For you) pg (26182) Eric mentions liking "242" pg(26189)
"Imports - Imports CD's " - The Imports?? pg (26185)
"Orb Uf Orb" The Orb - U.F Orb pg (26185)

Media Play Recipts
"McKennitt L / Mask Mi.." - Loreena Mckennitt - The Mask and Mirror pg (26180) Could be Eric's purchase as he mentions liking Loreena Mckennitt pg(26189)
"Var / Industrial War" - Various Artists - Industrial War The Agony and the Ecstasy of Industrial Music pg (26180)
“Leather Strip / Serena” – Leather Strip – Serenade For The Dead pg (26180)
"Orbital / Snivilisatio” - “Orbital – Snivilisation” pg (26187) Eric mentions liking "Orbital" pg(26189) There are numerous references to "Halycon" by Dylan pg(26406), (26412) and (26414) he could be familiar with the song of the same name by Orbital
" Var / Ultimate in Gabb” - "Various Artists - Ultimate in Gabber Trance - Beats From Hell" pg (26186)
"Future sounds of lond" - Future Sounds of London pg(26184) a second CD was bought pg(26186)
"Eat Static - Scienc of" - Eat Static - Science of The Gods pg(26184)

Dylan writes “Chicos Groove – The Chemical Brothers” pg (25989)

List: "CD's" - "The Doom Generation - sdtk"(soundtrack), "Vampires - sdtk" (soundtrack), "Smashing Pumpkins - Box Set" - Smashing Pumpkins - The Aeroplane Flies High, "Spacetime Continuum," "Nowhere sdtk (Soundtrack), "Renegade Soundwave" pg (26367)

"Siamese Dream" Smashing Pumpkins Album pg(26376) Dylan writes the lyrics to the Smashing Pumpkins song "Beautiful" pg(26470)

Dylan writes ‘NIN’ Nine Inch Nails at the bottom of pg (25981) He mentions "Downward Spiral" pg (26398) the NIN album, and often draws spirals in his journal pg(26479) and in his school planner pg(26456) he mentions the song Hurt pg(26401) Dylan also references other NIN songs such as "Now I'm Nothing" pg(26445) "Something I can never have" pg(26398) "Piggy" pg(26389)
Eric quotes lyrics from the NIN song Closer pg(26106) as does Dylan pg(26457)

In his planner Dylan writes “I’m not a trendy asshole don’t give a fuck if its good enuf for you” pg(26436) These are lyrics from The Offspring song Smash, the song Americana is also playing in the breakfast run video although this may not have been Dylan's choice

Dylan also writes "Chemical Brothers" on pg(26436) he references "Loops of Fury" a Chemical Brothers EP pg(26411)

Lyrics to the song "Guilty by Gravity Kills" printed on pg(26643)

Dylan writes "Life is sweet Daft Punk Mix" - Daft Punk remix of Chemical Brothers - Life Is Sweet pg(26462)

Dylan "Atari Teenage Riot" pg(26462)

Eric writes in 'You know what I love' The "Prodigy"

Eric wills the "Fly CD" to Susan in the Basement Tapes - Fly - Bombthreat Before She Blows

Movies
“Lost Highway”is “Dylan’s favorite movie” pg (6400) Eric also said it was his favorite film pg (26859)

List Movies: "Resivoir Dogs, Vampires, Lost Highway From Dusk Till Dawn" pg (26367)
Eric – “when we go NBK” pg (26012) among countless other references to Natural Born Killers

Eric writes a list of movies to Dylan “lost highway,” “starship troopers,” “alien res,” alien resurrection “2 days in the valley,” “pulp fiction,” “enemy gold,” “aliens,” “predator,” “5th element,” “die hard with a vengeance,” “the rock,” “from dusk till dawn,” “res dogs,” reservoir dogs “terminator,” “terminator 2,” “tremors 2,” “event horizon,” “lost world,” “dark city,” “out of sight” pg (26496)

Dylan mentions to Eric in his yearbook needing to find "Cavegirl Island" I guessed from the film 'Beach Babes 2: Cave Girl Island' Laughing
In the same post he mentions "Enemy Gold" pg(26238)

Games
“He and Klebold played Doom” pg (7040), “Eric was into the game Doom” pg (6623) (So many Doom references) "Doom" and "Doom 2" pg(26431)

“Harris always talked about Deathmatch” pg (6974)

"Harris was playing another game...called Hexen" pg (7043)

List of Games: "Quake," "Duke," Duke Nukem? "Full Throttle,"X com" pg(26431)

"Warcraft expansion", "redneck rides again” – redneck rampage rides again, “shadow warrior,” , “tomb raider 2,” “heretic 2,” “total annihilation,” “diablo,” “diabblo 2,” “starcraft,” “tombraider,” “unreal,” “quake 2,” “jedi knight,” “need for speed 3,” "deer hunter,” “links 98,” “triple play 99,” “ignition” pg(26378)

“..it’s a game… that they play. The game is based on the book Vampires – the Masquerade.” pg(13548)

Other
Eric writes “just like wilks from the ALIENS books” pg(26012)

Eric mentions Shakespeare “Tempest and Caliban” in his journal pg (26009)

Eric mentions "Fly + Arlene" from the Doom Books pg (26496) Dylan references the Doom novels in Eric's yearbook "Book 1: Knee Deep in the Dead" pg(26235) "Book 2 Hell on Earth" pg(26237) "Book 3: Infernal Sky" pg(26238) and "Book 4: Endgame" pg(26243)

scratch
"Songs from bands like... M.M" Could this be Marilyn Manson? pg(26113)
"Var / Trip Factor" Var = Various Artists? pg(26184)
"Williams / V Next" pg(26180)
"Var / Industrial Rock" pg(26180) I assume this is Various Artists - Industrial Rock, I am aware of one music album with this title but it was released in 2000...
"Borrow Oddysey (videos?)" pg(26376)
"CD's - Ceiba?" pg(26367) - I believe there is a Japanese trance group that were around in the mid 90's with this name...
For some reason I have written down “you claim to be a player but I fucked your wife” - 2pac lyrics from the song Hit ‘em up, Dylan (I'm not sure where this is from)
"it's cool to hate" pg(26380) I'm sure somewhere in the 11k there was something about "the hate song" and a picture of the album cover "Ixnay on the Hombre" by The Offspring which has the song "It's cool to hate" on it. But I have no source for this.
pg(26378) games I didn't include?
One student describes a music video E/D had done with scenes from the movies “Predator” and “Starship Troopers” they used music by “(NIN), Which had the word “Fire” repeating.” pg(7079) anyone know the song?
"Phantom Planet" pg(26376) The band?

Atokwtpuk, anna444 and mflergen like this post

Back to top Go down
JDM87

Contribution Points : 101656
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 11:24 am

They had such an awesome music taste. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118808
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Does anyone actually like the music Dylan and Eric liked, or do you guys just listen to it cuz they did? Cuz honestly, I cannot stand the kind of music they listened to. The only music I have in common with either of them is, Dylan listened to SP, which is one of my favorite bands.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 12:38 pm

I found out about KMFDM because of them and listened to a few of their songs out of curiosity and I actually really liked Anarchy and Megalomaniac. Before She Blows is a really good song too. But I would like these songs regardless.
Back to top Go down
queenfarooq

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Jenn wrote:
Does anyone actually like the music Dylan and Eric liked, or do you guys just listen to it cuz they did? Cuz honestly, I cannot stand the kind of music they listened to. The only music I have in common with either of them is, Dylan listened to SP, which is one of my favorite bands.

For me it's about 50/50. I listened to some of the same stuff when I was a teenager, I was and still am a fan of Rammstein and I used to be a bit of a movie soundtrack collector. But like you said some of the stuff I also can't stand, for me I really don't like quite alot of Dylan's music. As 'CatherineM813' said I would also like some of the same songs or movies regardless.
Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Global Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 101088
Forum Reputation : 91

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Jenn wrote:

I actually listened to a number of things they listened to, more than likely at the same time they were, and in most cases it's highly likely that I was listening to the majority of it before they were.

I like a few things from a couple of Rammstein's albums, but they were never, ever my favorite. Not even close.

What I was really into are a lot of the bands that were on the Wax Trax! label. I still love most of it to this day. My FAVORITES are Ministry and all of the lead singer's (Al Jourgensen) side projects (RevCo, Acid Horse, Pailhead, Lard, 1000 Homo DJs, and PTP), and Front 242. Those are the bands and projects I love the most from that particular label.

I have known about KMFDM (who also had many releases on the Wax Trax! label) since I was about 13. There was a song of their's called "Virus" that someone had on some kind of compilation cassette (YES, cassette) that I heard when I was that age. I liked it, but was not obsessive about them at all.

A few years later I saw Beavis and Butthead watching KMFDM's "A Drug Against War" , and I REALLY loved that particular song. I loved it enough to write the album's title "Angst" in this notebook I had that I used to jot down names of songs and albums I wanted to eventually purchase.

A few years after that, in the later 90s, I got the Wax Trax! compilation "Black Box – Wax Trax! Records: The First 13 Years", and for ME, THAT is when I first heard "Godlike". I still liked "Virus" better, and I actually preferred most of the songs on the "Angst" album better than "Godlike". I also really like Sascha Konietzko's side project "Excessive Force".

ALL of this was LONG before the world knew who Eric and Dylan were.

I still love Ministry (and their side projects) and Front 242 better than KMFDM, but I DO like (and even love) a LOT of KMFDM's work.

I really like many other bands of that ilk that weren't on the Wax Trax! label, like Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Einstürzende Neubauten, Die Krupps, Pigface, and Killing Joke.

And in my case, I knew about ALL of these bands before columbine occurred.

I love MANY other kinds of music, too, though.
Back to top Go down
tragedy79

Contribution Points : 102045

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Well, I guess I have a very broad music interest, but honestly before researching Columbine I had never really listened to the stuff they liked. Most of all do I like Dylan's music taste. I allready loved The Prodigy, Daft Punk, The Beastie Boys and The Smashing Pumpkins. But now I adore Nine Inch Nails and not because he liked it. I just never heard of them before*hangs her head in shame*

Rammstein sounds pretty cool too, but that's all. I wouldn't pay a lot to see them.

Tarantino movies is something I allready really loved!

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 5:47 pm

tfsa47090 wrote:
A few years later I saw Beavis and Butthead watching KMFDM's "A Drug Against War" , and I REALLY loved that particular song. I loved it enough to write the album's title "Angst" in this notebook I had that I used to jot down names of songs and albums I wanted to eventually purchase.

A few years after that, in the later 90s, I got the Wax Trax! compilation "Black Box – Wax Trax! Records: The First 13 Years", and for ME, THAT is when I first heard "Godlike". I still liked "Virus" better, and I actually preferred most of the songs on the "Angst" album better than "Godlike". I also really like Sascha Konietzko's side project "Excessive Force".

I really like many other bands of that ilk that weren't on the Wax Trax! label, like Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Einstürzende Neubauten, Die Krupps, Pigface, and Killing Joke.

I used to stay up really late on a school night so I could watch Beavis and Butthead haha.

I know someone over on SBB did a great job of organizing E/D's entertainment tastes and it was a pretty popular topic. It's great that some posters here did have a similar taste in music and film etc as it will add to the topic. I'm sure E/D were familiar with many of the artists on the Wax Trax label.

I remember going to see Killing Joke a lonnnng time ago and I also like Die Krupps.

tragedy79 wrote:
Well, I guess I have a very broad music interest, but honestly before researching Columbine I had never really listened to the stuff they liked. Most of all do I like Dylan's music taste. I allready loved The Prodigy, Daft Punk, The Beastie Boys and The Smashing Pumpkins. But now I adore Nine Inch Nails and not because he liked it.

The Prodigy I do like, I've been an on and off fan since 'Firestarter' which I saw when I was still quite young. The rest not so much, NIN is a funny one for me, i love maybe a handful of their songs and really dislike the rest.

Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Global Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 101088
Forum Reputation : 91

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 9:01 pm

tragedy79 wrote:
Well, I guess I have a very broad music interest, but honestly before researching Columbine I had never really listened to the stuff they liked. Most of all do I like Dylan's music taste. I allready loved The Prodigy, Daft Punk, The Beastie Boys and The Smashing Pumpkins. But now I adore Nine Inch Nails and not because he liked it. I just never heard of them before*hangs her head in shame*

Rammstein sounds pretty cool too, but that's all. I wouldn't pay a lot to see them.

Tarantino movies is something I allready really loved!

I wouldn't pay much to see Rammstein, either. I wouldn't go out of my way, even many years ago, but I wouldn't turn down an invitation, either. I LOVE the Beastie Boys. I have since I was a child. Very unique and talented guys, this is particularly showcased on "Paul's Boutique" and "Hello Nasty". I also really love the Smashing Pumpkins. I adore so many songs. I loved both of them long before columbine, too. I actually didn't learn anything about music through researching columbine. I've learned some film titles, but I haven't seen any of the ones I learned through them. I have no interest. I knew of Tarantino's films when they were new, too. I like a good number of them. Don't be ashamed that you didn't know about NIN!! I actually find that to be refreshing, personally. There are tons of things I like by NIN, but they got a bit overexposed here in the U.S. after a time.

queenfarooq wrote:
tfsa47090 wrote:

I used to stay up really late on a school night so I could watch Beavis and Butthead haha.

I know someone over on SBB did a great job of organizing E/D's entertainment tastes and it was a pretty popular topic. It's great that some posters here did have a similar taste in music and film etc as it will add to the topic. I'm sure E/D were familiar with many of the artists on the Wax Trax label.

I remember going to see Killing Joke a lonnnng time ago and I also like Die Krupps.

tragedy79 wrote:
Well, I guess I have a very broad music interest, but honestly before researching Columbine I had never really listened to the stuff they liked. Most of all do I like Dylan's music taste. I allready loved The Prodigy, Daft Punk, The Beastie Boys and The Smashing Pumpkins. But now I adore Nine Inch Nails and not because he liked it.

The Prodigy I do like, I've been an on and off fan since 'Firestarter' which I saw when I was still quite young. The rest not so much, NIN is a funny one for me, i love maybe a handful of their songs and really dislike the rest.

I still LOVE Beavis and Butthead!! Do you? I own the whole series on bootlegged discs. I am a FANATIC!!

You're lucky you got to see Killing Joke! I've never been able to see any of the bands discussed here. I've been to tons of live shows, but I was never able to see any of the bands mentioned in this thread thus far.

I remember the thread on the old forum. It started out really wonderfully, and then unfortunately descended into unnecessary bickering and ego stroking (just between a tiny group of people, but it still disrupted the thread, do you remember that?). I posted pretty much the same exact thing there that I just did here (above).

I like a good amount by The Prodigy, but my younger sister was madly in love with them. Frankly, the first time I saw the video for "Firestarter" I was rather terrified!! I was in my later teens and it just freaked me out. HAHAHA!!! It was late at night. I grew to really adore it in time, though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 12:37 am

I sincerely like much of the music they did and some films.They had really great taste.However, some of their interests I do not share like sports.I dislike sports .Most boring thing ever IMO .
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 12:49 am

I wasn't even aware that Dylan or Eric liked any sports. I know Dylan did a fantasy baseball thing or some shit, but did they actually play any sports?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 2:46 am

Eric was a soccer player for years.Apparently a very talented one too. Dylan loved fantasy baseball but he also avidly kept up with regular baseball.I believe he tried out for the CHS baseball team once some years before shooting but wasn't accepted .
Back to top Go down
tragedy79

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 4:28 am

DarkofNight wrote:
Eric was a soccer player for years.Apparently a very talented one too. Dylan loved fantasy baseball but he also avidly kept up with regular baseball.I believe he tried out for the CHS baseball team once some years before shooting but wasn't accepted .

Do you have a source for Dylan trying out`for CHS baseballteam? I never heard that before. I you don't, I understand, because sometimes I read so much about Columbine that I really don't know where read such things Smile

Contribution Points : 101368

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 7:58 am

I think I read in an interview with Devon Adams that he tried out for the baseball
team and wasn't accepted. I think she also indicated that it was because he wasn't
popular and not because he didn't play well enough.
Back to top Go down
tragedy79

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 1:51 pm

carrie12 wrote:
I think I read in an interview with Devon Adams that he tried out for the baseball
team and wasn't accepted. I think she also indicated that it was because he wasn't

Thanks Carrie!

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 2:10 pm

carrie12 wrote:

Do you know where I might find this article?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 4:47 pm

carrie12 wrote:
I think she also indicated that it was because he wasn't popular and not because he didn't play well enough.

That is pretty fucked up if that is true.

Back to top Go down
carrie12

Contribution Points : 101368

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:08 am

I found this information in a book called "Columbine: A lasting impression" which is quite ok (many interviews). It doesn't become clear whether the author (a guy called Sasha Huttunen) conducted the interview with Devon Adams himself or if he got it from a different source himself. Anyway, this is the part I referred to:

"Dylan was incredible talented at sound design, at computer work, and at baseball", she [Devon] says.
According to Devon, Dylan's talents didn't get the value it deserved, which depressed him. "He didn't make the Columbine baseball team because he didn't have a 'name' for himself, so he just gave up. He became apathetic, which is so dangerous", she says.

The book is not new, I got it in 2007 (in Europe), don't know if it is still available.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 11:42 am

carrie12 wrote:
I found this information in a book called "Columbine: A lasting impression" which is quite ok (many interviews). It doesn't become clear whether the author (a guy called Sasha Huttunen) conducted the interview with Devon Adams himself or if he got it from a different source himself. Anyway, this is the part I referred to:

"Dylan was incredible talented at sound design, at computer work, and at baseball", she [Devon] says.
According to Devon, Dylan's talents didn't get the value it deserved, which depressed him. "He didn't make the Columbine baseball team because he didn't have a 'name' for himself, so he just gave up. He became apathetic, which is so dangerous", she says.

The book is not new, I got it in 2007 (in Europe), don't know if it is still available.

Thanks for the info. Looks like Amazon lists the book but they don't carry it. Too bad.
Back to top Go down
queenfarooq

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 5:12 pm

tfsa47090 wrote:
I still LOVE Beavis and Butthead!! Do you? I own the whole series on bootlegged discs. I am a FANATIC!!

You're lucky you got to see Killing Joke! I've never been able to see any of the bands discussed here. I've been to tons of live shows, but I was never able to see any of the bands mentioned in this thread thus far.

I remember the thread on the old forum. It started out really wonderfully, and then unfortunately descended into unnecessary bickering and ego stroking (just between a tiny group of people, but it still disrupted the thread, do you remember that?). I posted pretty much the same exact thing there that I just did here (above).

I like a good amount by The Prodigy, but my younger sister was madly in love with them. Frankly, the first time I saw the video for "Firestarter" I was rather terrified!! I was in my later teens and it just freaked me out. HAHAHA!!! It was late at night. I grew to really adore it in time, though.

I do still like Beavis and Butthead, I think I bought 'Beavis and Butthead Do America' on VHS.

Yeah I do remember the way the old post unfortunately went downhill.

I remember the Firestarter video been really popular on the few music shows that were around at the time which was cool because it wasn't the sort of thing that was usually played. I wasn't quite a teenager when the video came out but I thought I was and wanted to have green hair and get lots of piercings because of the lead singer.

DarkofNight wrote:

I've read this too. Somewhere i'm sure I read a comment that was from one of Brooks Browns friends saying him Brooks and Dylan played basketball sometimes, I think this was just perhaps a one off kind of thing. I'll have to find a source where I read it.
Back to top Go down
TEC

TEC

Contribution Points : 99369

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 11:36 am

Page 265
Receipt for Rammstein - Du Riecsht So Gut (I'm guessing '98 version)

Receipt for Orbital/Orbital + probably means the two selftitled green and brown albums
Back to top Go down
Undyne

Contribution Points : 101913
Forum Reputation : 27

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Their film taste is almost exclusively action films.  Meh.
Back to top Go down
Laeda

Contribution Points : 101556

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 3:16 pm

They had some pretty decent 90s-teenager taste to me.
I've always loved SP and NIN, listened to some Prodigy and ATR in my early-teens, but I got to know KMFDM because of them (and of Saints Row: The Third, lol) and fairly liked them.
Also Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, Warcraft, Tomb Raider, were the some of the first games I've been playing when I got a pc in the late 90s (and I was supposed to be learning to read or drink milk from a baby bottle probably, but whatever) though those were the very popular ones so I guess whoever was into videogames at that time played them too

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 5:24 pm

I bump this, because Dylan wrote an excerpt from the lyrics of the Song "Atari Teenage Riot" from Atari Teenage Riot in his dayplanner:

Power for those who can fuck it
Freedom for those who can find it
Sex for those who can buy it

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 6:25 pm

1. In his school essay about Doom, Eric describes the atmosphere of his own levels as similar to those of H.P. Lovecraft novels.

2. In his second last diary entry, written 5 days before his death, Dylan uses (and changes) a dialogue line from Blade Runner:

"These moments will be lost in the depressions & caverns of the human books forever, like, tears, in, rain, but the thoughts will be eternal.
(...)
Time to die, time to be free, time to love."

In the movie, the dialogue is:

"All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.”
Back to top Go down
JayJay

Contribution Points : 96964

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 3:21 am

Eric had to choose books to read off a list for a class. These are books that were not specifically assigned and as such, they reflect his interests in war and science fiction, or both.

He wrote essays on the three books he chose:

1-All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

2-Papillon by Henri Charrière

3-Return from the Stars by Stanislas Lem

Eric cites Return from the Stars in his diary: "man can eat, drink, fuck, and hunt and anything else he does is madness''. He mentions in his essay that the nihilistic ideas in the book made him think a lot. It was his favorite book in the three he had to read.

(This is in the 936 pages-document found here (as well as other places): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 9:28 pm

An excerpt from Dylan's "daring" essay, which I actually quite like, about the man in all black killing the "preps" references to a movie series focused on "Mad Max". The exact sentence is, "I have never seen anyone take this mad-max approach in the city, especially since the piggies had been called to this part of town for a series of crimes lately." It can be found on page 28 from the 936 pages document link above.
Back to top Go down
Mr_Chagrin

Contribution Points : 100606

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 10:21 pm

I don't think you've mentioned Age of Empires II, in the games one or both of them had played. It's written as AOE2 in the journal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 6:23 am

I remember reading the 11k a couple of years ago, and noticing several people (two or three I believe) mentioning that Eric was a fan of the band Megadeth. Supposedly he also wore their bandshirts to school. I never kept notes of my research so i can't tell who exactly said this or where to find it, but maybe someone else does?

I do know that Eric owned compilation albums which feature songs by Megadeth like the Demon Knight OST.
Back to top Go down
JayJay

Contribution Points : 96964

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 7:42 am

Ok, I won't quote the first post at the top of the thread, but now I have to watch ''Beach Babes II: Cavegirl Island''. I'll think of Dylan throughout.

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat

Contribution Points : 95104
Forum Reputation : 24

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 9:47 pm

I cant stand most of the music that they used to listen to either, but I have to admit that they had a great taste in music and movies. From that list I just consider myself as a fan of The Smashing Pumpkins and Nine Inch Nails and of movies Resivoir Dogs and Lost Highway and I am since I was a kid thanks to my aunts. I also remember played DOOM when I was like 5/6 years old, my father played it with me and now I am so thankful with him because I love it and not many parents do that, I want to play it again

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 pm

While I might have been friends with them in high school, the only things we would have had in common would have been the movies. I really had no interest in any of the music they listened to, but like any teenage boy, loved a lot of te films they reference. However, I was not as fortunate to have seen Beach Babes 2: Cavegirl Island. Perhaps that is where Dylan wanted to end up after all. Maybe he's there now...
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79761
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 9:05 am

This obviously isn't from the boys' taste, but when I first heard this and read the lyrics I just feel that the boys might appreciate the song or relate to the song in their point of view.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes   Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eric and Dylan's Music and Entertainment Tastes
Page 1 of 1