Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?

Go down 
+7
AlteRoad
spidEr
BehindZeroProxies
sororityalpha
InsaneIntruder
Smiggles94
Sokushinbutsu
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Sokushinbutsu

Sokushinbutsu

Contribution Points : 63389
Forum Reputation : 0

Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Empty
PostSubject: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 7:35 pm

I was out of country when the Aurora Theatre shooting took place and thus was not inundated with details in the weeks that followed. I did have a basic understanding of the case and read a little more in depth here and there. As I've started studying it more recently, I've been pondering this topic: Why do you think that Holmes warned the police about his booby-trapped apartment after he was arrested?

I wonder if he might've been in some kind of pensive, potentially even remorseful state following the shooting? Perhaps as with Eric and Dylan when they wandered around after leaving the library, sort of aimlessly drifting and opting not to engage any more students.

I don't think that he could've reasonably believed that it would affect his sentence if he allowed his apartment building to blow up after the fact. I am not sure that suicide by cop was part of his plans that day, considering he did not pursue certain attack options (chemical weapons) due to concerns for his personal safety. I think that he planned to go to jail after the whole ordeal, so what did it matter to him if his apartment blew up or not at that stage? Tipping them off to the apartment might even have worked against his insanity plea unless he related that he was suddenly sane again after the shooting and thus concerned for the well being of his local tenants.

What do you folks think about this part of the story?

Smiggles94

Smiggles94

Contribution Points : 71039
Forum Reputation : 28

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Probably too escape the death penalty
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 86178
Forum Reputation : 340

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 11:35 pm

Maybe he didn't want the people there to be homeless. Or maybe he wanted more information about him, since probably everything would've been destroyed due to how much explosives he had.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124424
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2017 7:52 pm

It is interesting but some killers have 'a form of remorse' after killing a bunch of people.

James Holmes probably realized what he did and did not want to kill any more people.

Some, if not most, killers mention being sorry for what they did.
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2017 9:34 pm

sororityalpha wrote:
It is interesting but some killers have 'a form of remorse' after killing a bunch of people.

James Holmes probably realized what he did and did not want to kill any more people.

Some, if not most, killers mention being sorry for what they did.
Good point. That's probably the reason.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2017 2:56 pm

How much damage could his IEDs cause?
Back to top Go down
BehindZeroProxies

BehindZeroProxies

Contribution Points : 59695
Location : Australia. OCCUPATION: NEET, Professional shitposter. IQ: Extremely High (185)

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2017 4:59 pm

He realised he fucked up like most mass shooters, didn't want to hurt anyone more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2017 12:33 pm

I don't think he revealed the fact that his apartment was booby trapped out of any caring or remorse. He may have just blurted it out impulsively or simply mentioned it as a way to boast to police. I am leaning towards it just being impulsive. Police probably interrogated the answer out of him and caused him to blurt it. Police are experts at forcing most unprepared people to talk.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2017 7:18 pm

He told them very quickly after he was approached.

Whether it was impulse/remorse it shows that he DID warn them about his apartment.

For all James knew maybe his apartment had already burned/blown up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Could the bombs have destroyed the building?
Back to top Go down
spidEr

spidEr

Contribution Points : 69926
Forum Reputation : 145

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 5:53 pm

because he didn't know it would even work, it was a mad Joker scheme for the media.
Back to top Go down
AlteRoad

AlteRoad

Contribution Points : 65225
Forum Reputation : 43

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm

My money's on him hoping for a reduction in sentence, but remorse may also have played into it, since his madcap scheme could've killed quite a few people.
Back to top Go down
log_1987

log_1987

Contribution Points : 58256

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2018 8:58 pm

It could be impulsiveness, akin to the actions of would be shooter John LaDue. So upon questioning he just blabbed everything. Although, from what I've seen of the photos of his apartment the IEDs were not viable, so likely it was just for attention.
Back to top Go down
Tara

Contribution Points : 64199

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 3:39 pm

He blurted it out, possibly because of remorse. I don't think he was aiming for a reduced sentence. He's such a smart guy, it's so sad that his illness got the better of him.
Back to top Go down
Kaynvink

Kaynvink

Contribution Points : 61700

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 1:33 am

I read sometime ago that he set music to start playing loudly while he was still sitting in the cinema to lure people to detonate the explosives by going to his apartment and opening the door (in the article I read they said had left it open a crack so they could have just pulled it open and detonate everything) .If this is true (im not an expert on holmes case) then there is no way he could have known if his apartment was already blown into pieces and if people got injured and or died while he was beeing arrested by the police.
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 1:36 am

Kaynvink wrote:
I read sometime ago that he set music to start playing loudly while he was still sitting in the cinema to lure people to detonate the explosives by going to his apartment and opening the door (in the article  I read they said had left it open a crack so they could have just pulled it open and detonate everything) .If this is true (im not an expert on holmes case) then there is no way he could have known if his apartment was already blown into pieces and if people got injured and or died while he was beeing arrested by the police.
Good point.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120728
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 1:44 am

Kaynvink wrote:
I read sometime ago that he set music to start playing loudly while he was still sitting in the cinema to lure people to detonate the explosives by going to his apartment and opening the door (in the article  I read they said had left it open a crack so they could have just pulled it open and detonate everything) .If this is true (im not an expert on holmes case) then there is no way he could have known if his apartment was already blown into pieces and if people got injured and or died while he was beeing arrested by the police.

Damn, that adds a whole new dimension to this. Maybe he was expecting the bombs to have already gone off.

sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 2:15 am

Either way, he admitted that his apartment was booby-trapped.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 12:33 am

Probably did it for more attention. I mean the point of a booby trap is to catch some one off guard. And it looked like his trap wouldn't of worked for shit anyway.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 12:50 am

Population Control wrote:
Probably did it for more attention. I mean the point of a booby trap is to catch some one off guard. And it looked like his trap wouldn't of worked for shit anyway.

As in they wouldn't have fallen for it or the bombs wouldn't have gone off?

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 12:58 am

QuestionMark wrote:

Well, I think a bit of both. I've seen some of the video a while back of the bomb squad robot going it, and it looked like it was more of a crudely rigged mess to me. And not mess as in the bomb squad guy goes "oh shit this sucks to defuse" but mess as in homes either didn't know what he was doing or didn't care what he was doing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 1:40 pm

How many could the bombs have killed had they detonated? James Holmes and E&d are failed bombers.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm

QuestionMark wrote:

Well, I think a bit of both. I've seen some of the video a while back of the bomb squad robot going it, and it looked like it was more of a crudely rigged mess to me. And not mess as in the bomb squad guy goes "oh shit this sucks to defuse" but mess as in homes either didn't know what he was doing or didn't care what he was doing.

I guess that makes sense; after all Holmes specifically ruled out the possibility of using bombs due to it being too risky.

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 8:02 pm

Ziamber II wrote:
How many could the bombs have killed had they detonated?  James Holmes and E&d are failed bombers.

I think that had it worked, there wouldn't be a explosion, there would of been a fire, cause he went to complete over kill with all that gasoline.

During the deconstruction of his apartment, they did detonate one bomb, and it shock the house a bit, but not much.

I think the apartment rigging was a last second idea of sorts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?   Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why did Holmes warn about booby-trapped apartment?
Page 1 of 1