Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do You Guys Ever Wonder

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Do You Guys Ever Wonder Empty
PostSubject: Do You Guys Ever Wonder   Do You Guys Ever Wonder Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Do you guys ever wonder what would have happened if Columbine was done by two different people or just one person? Do you think it would still be as huge, iconic we would still be talking about it 14 years later and we would be as interested and fascinated with them as we are with Eric and Dylan?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118758
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Do You Guys Ever Wonder   Do You Guys Ever Wonder Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Good question. I think that if it was the same exact circumstances but just 2 totally different boys, that we would probably still be interested in it. If it was a single shooter, I really don't think people would be as interested, as I think the whole connection between Dylan and Eric plays a huge part in people's fascination.

So Ivan and I were just talking about this yesterday. Why do you think people are more interested in Columbine/Dylan and Eric than Virginia Tech. He was bullied, he was mentally sick, he was planning a massacre AND his heroes were Dylan and Eric, well I don't know if they were his heroes, but he admired them. Does him being Asian turn people off? Sometimes I think that may be the case. Do you guys agree?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Guys Ever Wonder   Do You Guys Ever Wonder Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Thankyou. I was also wondering that myself actually. And I think part of the reason why people are more interested in Columbine than Virginia Tech and Sandy Hook because in my opinion Eric and Dylan come off as so likeable, relatable and there is tons of information on them and the tragedy than Cho and Adam. Another reason why is because Columbine was the first major school shooting and it just remained the most iconic throughout the years. If people are going to be interested in something like this wouldn't they chose the more popular one?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: Do You Guys Ever Wonder   Do You Guys Ever Wonder Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 9:24 pm

That could be true too. Columbine was the first big school massacre like that and it got a lot of media attention and it is always mentioned as one of the worse massacres whenever another school shooting happens.

Perhaps back then people thought that something like that would never happen and when it did, they were drawn to it and maybe now it just seems like, not to sound insincere, but they just think, "Oh, another school shooting".

Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Global Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 101038
Forum Reputation : 91

PostSubject: Re: Do You Guys Ever Wonder   Do You Guys Ever Wonder Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Jenn wrote:
Good question. I think that if it was the same exact circumstances but just 2 totally different boys, that we would probably still be interested in it.  If it was a single shooter, I really don't think people would be as interested, as I think the whole connection between Dylan and Eric plays a huge part in people's fascination.

So Ivan and I were just talking about this yesterday. Why do you think people are more interested in Columbine/Dylan and Eric than Virginia Tech. He was bullied, he was mentally sick, he was planning a massacre AND his heroes were Dylan and Eric, well I don't know if they were his heroes, but he admired them.  Does him being Asian turn people off?  Sometimes I think that may be the case. Do you guys agree?

Unfortunately, I think that may be a part of it for some people (his being Asian). However, I think Columbine desensitized people to Cho's massacre (and all that have followed to some extent), and because the media made his manifesto and things of that sort available so immediately, there wasn't as much of a "mystery" behind him. Everything about Dylan and Eric is in bits and pieces. There's a bunch of hearsay from those who knew them, and everyone knows that there is a bit more available about them that is being hidden under lock and key.

Back to top Go down
StinkyOldGrapes

Contribution Points : 99572
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Do You Guys Ever Wonder   Do You Guys Ever Wonder Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 10:20 pm

I mentioned something about this in the Columbine In Modern Culture thread.

Have a look at how Cho committed his massacre compared to E/D. Cho rampaged for 10-15 minutes and killed 30 people during that time -one every 20 or 30 seconds. This doesn't even take into account all those he wounded. E/D on the other hand were playing a big game -they were taking their time and having fun.

I don't think there's ever been another massacre where you can say the rampagers did it for fun. Has there?

Look at all the things Dylan supposedly said during in the library. Have you ever heard of any other shooter talk so much?

That's what sets Columbine apart in my opinion. E/D enjoyed what they were doing, and that opens up a lot of unanswered questions about human nature.

Jenn

PostSubject: Re: Do You Guys Ever Wonder   Do You Guys Ever Wonder Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 am

StinkyOldGrapes wrote:

Have a look at how Cho committed his massacre compared to E/D. Cho rampaged for 10-15 minutes and killed 30 people during that time -one every 20 or 30 seconds. This doesn't even take into account all those he wounded. E/D on the other hand were playing a big game -they were taking their time and having fun.

I don't think there's ever been another massacre where you can say the rampagers did it for fun. Has there?

Look at all the things Dylan supposedly said during in the library. Have you ever heard of any other shooter talk so much?

That's what sets Columbine apart in my opinion. E/D enjoyed what they were doing, and that opens up a lot of unanswered questions about human nature.

No, but I also never heard of another shooter running up and down the halls shooting lockers and the ceiling and peeking through windows, giggling, or standing outside the bathroom saying, "I'm gonna get you" and then do nothing.

Back to top Go down
StinkyOldGrapes

Contribution Points : 99572
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Do You Guys Ever Wonder   Do You Guys Ever Wonder Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 12:40 am

Jenn wrote:
StinkyOldGrapes wrote:

No, but I also never heard of another shooter running up and down the halls shooting lockers and the ceiling and peeking through windows, giggling, or standing outside the bathroom saying, "I'm gonna get you" and then do nothing.

Exactly my point. E/D were doing whatever the hell they wanted to. It was their party, and they'll party how they want to. They WANTED to be there. Other shooters, like Cho for instance, felt like society FORCED them do it.

The goal of other mass murderers is to kill people and a shooting spree is the best way to achieve that. E/D's goal seemed to be to "have fun" and killing people was a by-product of that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do You Guys Ever Wonder   Do You Guys Ever Wonder Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do You Guys Ever Wonder
Page 1 of 1