Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Line Interpretation?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193257
Forum Reputation : 1317

Line Interpretation? Empty
PostSubject: Line Interpretation?   Line Interpretation? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 9:02 pm

In A Mother's Reckoning, I believe Chapter 10 when SK goes through her meeting with Kate Battan. Hearing the details of the massacre and seeing the Basement Tapes she mentions talking to Tom and she writes "Tom said he wished he'd never been born" Were we supposed to read that as Tom wished he was never born or that Tom wishes Dylan was never born?

Back to top Go down
TaylorsMom

TaylorsMom

Contribution Points : 78067
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Line Interpretation?   Line Interpretation? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 10:08 pm

When I read it, I got the impression he meant himself, not Dylan. I can understand the confusion, and I never thought of it that way!
Back to top Go down
TaylorsMom

TaylorsMom

PostSubject: Re: Line Interpretation?   Line Interpretation? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 10:11 pm

You know, on second thought...after reading it and thinking about it...I think he could be talking about Dylan...? Interesting find [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] !!
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Line Interpretation?   Line Interpretation? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 10:25 pm

I too thought Tom was talking about himself then I was wondering if he was talking about Dylan.. then it just stuck with me.

It would surprise me that she'd put it in if it was Dylan, because even though she does say how angry they are at him, the fact that they both really loved him is pretty much the theme through the whole book.

TaylorsMom

PostSubject: Re: Line Interpretation?   Line Interpretation? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 10:35 pm

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66528
Forum Reputation : 90

PostSubject: Re: Line Interpretation?   Line Interpretation? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 6:21 am

I also read it as Tom talking about himself. If I remember correctly, wasn't there also a line where Tom told her he wished Dylan had killed them, too? Just so they didn't have to endure what they were going through? I'm sure that feeling didn't last long but it says something about where their minds were.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Line Interpretation?   Line Interpretation? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 7:13 am

Littlelo wrote:
I also read it as Tom talking about himself. If I remember correctly, wasn't there also a line where Tom told her he wished Dylan had killed them, too? Just so they didn't have to endure what they were going through? I'm sure that feeling didn't last long but it says something about where their minds were.

I always took it as Tom referring to himself as well. The fact that he considered Dylan his best friend is very sad. He must have felt so betrayed and at a loss trying to figure out the hows, and whys.

I get the feeling that Dylan had a closer relationship with his dad, while Eric seemed to be a Momma's boy in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Line Interpretation?   Line Interpretation? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 11:19 am

Littlelo, they did say that, yes. I bet the 2 of them never thought for a second to kill their families. They went out of their way to say they didn't know, like that would make everything better.

I agree with you ShadowedGoddess.

I remember the little snippet of interview at the diversion hearing, the judge asked Tom if Dylan would go come to him and Tom was emphatic and he said "YES" and that they had a great relationship Sad

Erosion271

Contribution Points : 60638
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Line Interpretation?   Line Interpretation? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2017 5:57 am

Think she meant Tom himself. If she meant that TOm wanted Dylan to not have been born, i think she would've specifically said the name Dylan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Line Interpretation?   Line Interpretation? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Line Interpretation?
Page 1 of 1