Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66903
Forum Reputation : 90

NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Empty
PostSubject: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 am

In Eric's journal entry on 11/17/98, he said the following:

"It'll be very fucking hard to hold out until April. If people would give me more compliments all of this might still be avoidable...but probably not."

Do you think there was any truth to this? What would it have taken? If you don't think he meant it, why even write it?

Also, when he talks about holding out until April, do you think he is talking about killing himself or others? Both?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 12:19 pm

I think Eric wanted a girlfriend pretty badly.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193633
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Littlelo wrote:
In Eric's journal entry on 11/17/98, he said the following:

"It'll be very fucking hard to hold out until April. If people would give me more compliments all of this might still be avoidable...but probably not."

Do you think there was any truth to this? What would it have taken? If you don't think he meant it, why even write it?

Also, when he talks about holding out until April, do you think he is talking about killing himself or others? Both?

This is a part of Eric's journal that people seem to ignore. There's a lot about both boys journals that people kind of cherry pick.

I think Eric was looking for respect and acceptance, another reason he probably wanted to join the military. He sees the reverence and respect his father gets.

To be honest I think if anyone could've been talked out of it or backed out it would've been Eric. He even said "maybe if I got laid it would make things better. "

I wish we knew more about his suicidal tendencies and his depression as well.

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 12:36 pm

My first reaction is that he just wanted to seem more "godlike" as if he had the power to change the outcome but it wasn't likely because he wasn't given the respect he wanted.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 12:51 pm

I agree with Screamingophelia. I believe Eric would backed out, or would have been more likely to have second thoughts IF something made him believe that anything would have gotten better in his life.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Ivan wrote:

Seriously...that would have made him feel validated and wanted. I just wonder how he would have treated a girlfriend. All the demeaning things he said about girls in his journal... did he really mean it? I don't think a love interest would have saved either of them unless maybe it happened a couple years prior.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 1:07 pm

Ivan wrote:

I just can't make myself believe that all Eric's issues and problems would have lessened or disappeared if he had a girlfriend. He dated no one long enough to form the kind of attached bond, and understanding that might have made him change his mind.

Now IF he had came across someone earlier, before he had completely set his mind on NBK, then it is possible that he could have had the time to realize that he didn't want to go through with it and end his life at 18. He may have decided to set a different goal for himself.

Just my opinion, anyways.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 1:09 pm

So crazy that we both just essentially said the same thing SG!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 1:14 pm

Littlelo wrote:
So crazy that we both just essentially said the same thing SG!

Haha I hit send and it said a new reply had been made, but I didn't read it! Yeah we kinda did in a roundabout way say the same thing. Smile
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 2:10 pm

It's also interesting that he suggests NBK could be avoided if people are nicer to him. No mention of Dylan or his choice in the matter.

He asks if people will write a book about him, not about them. But in some entries he does refer to "our" rampage. It's strange how it switches back and forth.

Also interesting that he says he has to get Vodka another gun. Not that Dylan needs to get one for himself, almost like it's up to Eric.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 2:12 pm

Littlelo wrote:
It's also interesting that he suggests NBK could be avoided if people are nicer to him. No mention of Dylan or his choice in the matter.

He asks if people will write a book about him, not about them. But in some entries he does refer to "our" rampage. It's strange how it switches back and forth.

Also interesting that he says he has to get Vodka another gun. Not that Dylan needs to get one for himself, almost like it's up to Eric.
It was up to Eric. Dylan did next to nothing when it came to acquiring the guns. Eric paid for them and did all the legwork -- Dylan just sat around and waited.

Even in January 1999 Dylan said something like "I might as well go NBK" confirming he didn't care one way or the other. Eric was hellbent on actually going through with the shooting after they got the guns in December of 1998.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 2:16 pm

I have always wondered if one had decided to hold off, how the other would have reacted to it? Would they have held out as well or tried to convince the other to go ahead with the plan?

BUT I just don't see Dylan going on alone, seeing as he couldn't kill himself after years of wanting to. scratch

I do agree that he needed Eric to set the plan in motion and keep it going.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 2:24 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
I have always wondered if one had decided to hold off, how the other would have reacted to it? Would they have held out as well or tried to convince the other to go ahead with the plan?

BUT I just don't see Dylan going on alone, seeing as he couldn't kill himself after years of wanting to. scratch

I do agree that he needed Eric to set the plan in motion and keep it going.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
This is a part of Eric's journal that people seem to ignore. There's a lot about both boys journals that people kind of cherry pick.

I think Eric was looking for respect and acceptance,  another reason he probably wanted to join the military. He sees the reverence and respect his father gets.

To be honest I think if anyone could've been talked out of it or backed out it would've been Eric. He even said "maybe if I got laid it would make things better. "

I wish we knew more about his suicidal tendencies and his depression as well.

Agreed. If they focused on ALL of Eric's writings then those who say he was a evil psychopath have less to prove their theory. Just as those who want to think Dylan was only sad, lonely, and depressed always gloss over anything that proves he was also taking part in planning a school massacre.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Eric has so many diary entries that show his "human" side. Sometimes I think people ignore them on purpose.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Littlelo wrote:
Eric has so many diary entries that show his "human" side. Sometimes I think people ignore them on purpose.

Me too
Back to top Go down
W.A.R.

Contribution Points : 70723
Forum Reputation : 345

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2018 10:33 pm

Ivan wrote:

It seems like he had a chance with Susan.

I suppose he was too committed to the plan by then.
Back to top Go down
TheSpiral

TheSpiral

Contribution Points : 75264
Forum Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 3:24 am

I think both of them were on the fence up until the day of.
Dylan also wrote about killing himself before NBK.
I don't think it was a reality to them until they actually started shooting.

Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 7:25 am

W.A.R. wrote:
Ivan wrote:

It seems like he had a chance with Susan.

I suppose he was too committed to the plan by then.

I somewhat agree. Although Susan hadn't really known Eric all that long from my understanding. SO who knows if she would have picked up on the weird vibes that the other girls had and been put off by it. scratch

Also I do think that by that time Eric likely had a tunnel type vision and could only see NBK ahead of him.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 9:18 am

I feel the same way about Susan, SG. They really only hung out once, so he mentions her in TBT because she's his most recent interest that has not turned him down. Who knows what would have happened.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 9:22 am

Littlelo wrote:
I feel the same way about Susan, SG. They really only hung out once, so he mentions her in TBT because she's his most recent interest that has not turned him down. Who knows what would have happened.

Her memory is probably a bit rose colored (pre massacre of course) . Since she got like the best of Eric so to speak. First date stuff.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 9:42 am

What a surreal thing to have as part of your past. It must feel like a different lifetime to her now.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 9:56 am

Littlelo wrote:
What a surreal thing to have as part of your past. It must feel like a different lifetime to her now.

Exactly. I wonder if her or any of Eric and Dylan's friends just start telling a story about them to others, and then remembering oh people don't remember them like I do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)   NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NBK Avoidable? (Line Interpretation)
Page 1 of 1