Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Suicides directly related to Columbine.

Go down 
+7
Patodactyl
Lunkhead McGrath
Screamingophelia
Yumeko-chan
Tuga
Littlelo
Lizpuff
11 posters
AuthorMessage

Suicides directly related to Columbine. Empty
PostSubject: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Has anyone ever tracked the suicide ripple effect following Columbine?  We know that several first responders killed themselves, the mother of one of the victims, also one of the students who was in the room with Dave Sanders later killed himself.  

Those are the ones I know of off the top of my head. Has there been any others that aren't as well known? scratch
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96199
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Joe Stair - I know that Columbine was not the reason he died but I think it could have contributed.

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
Joe Stair - I know that Columbine was not the reason he died but I think it could have contributed.

Damn! I forgot Joe. From his sister's Youtube vids, Joe had been having problems with his ex wife. Very sad either way. Sad
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 3:34 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

Damn! I forgot Joe. From his sister's Youtube vids, Joe had been having problems with his ex wife. Very sad either way. Sad

Right. I do think it was other things, but in the grand scope of things, he was involved and I think could be counted.

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm also wondering how the mental health as a collective suffered in that community following Columbine.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 3:38 pm

I was speaking to someone on another unrelated forum. She was a freshmen at the time of the shooting and in the commons. She didn't know Eric or Dylan and didn't see much of anything. But she can tell loads of stories about the people affected. It is sad all around

We may never know just how many people are negatively impacted.

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Agreed. The fact that so many of the first responders committed suicide was shocking and heartbreaking.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66528
Forum Reputation : 90

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Anne Marie Hochhalter's mother committed suicide several months after the shooting. Another case where it was probably not the main cause, but certainly may have been a factor.

Edit: I just realized you kinda mentioned this in the original post, whoops!
Back to top Go down
Tuga

Contribution Points : 64467
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Any link on info regarding first responders who committed suicide? I vaguely remember reading a brief passage on it somewhere but I can't quite recall when and where.
Back to top Go down
Yumeko-chan

Contribution Points : 105390
Forum Reputation : 102

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 9:40 pm

Joe's didn't have anything to do with the shooting.  I know it's been said already, but it would hurt if he was feeling any guilt over not being able to protect me.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Yumeko-chan wrote:
Joe's didn't have anything to do with the shooting.  I know it's been said already, but it would hurt if he was feeling any guilt over not being able to protect me.

I know personally, I have never seen any evidence connecting Joe or his death with the shooting. I'm fairly certain most Columbine researchers would agree with me (at least I hope).

You're very strong for going through everything what you have Amanda. Much respect for you !
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193257
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 11:48 pm

I agree, I know I really admire your courage after seeing your series. I know that it is really awesome the things you do share and talk about here.

Contribution Points : 76161
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 1:38 am

Errogant and Dyldo killed themselves, of course...
Back to top Go down
Patodactyl

Contribution Points : 64674

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 3:08 am

do we know the names of the first responders who comitted suicide?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 7:59 am

Patodactyl wrote:
do we know the names of the first responders who comitted suicide?

I don't have them, but would be interested in a timeline like list if anyone has it.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 12:18 pm

This suicide may or may not be linked, but I found it interesting. Thought I would share. (Someone who knew Isaiah, but mother doesn't think it was related)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Littlelo wrote:
This suicide may or may not be linked, but I found it interesting. Thought I would share. (Someone who knew Isaiah, but mother doesn't think it was related)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks for sharing. Smile
Back to top Go down
spidEr

spidEr

Contribution Points : 69601
Forum Reputation : 145

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 8:09 pm

those Australian twin girls came to Colorado to kill themselves in honor of them. No they were not at the school, but they would still be alive now if Columbine didn't happen, their suicide was a tribute to Eric and Dylan. I think one survived with brain damage though?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 8:21 pm

spidEr wrote:
those Australian twin girls came to Colorado to kill themselves in honor of them. No they were not at the school, but they would still be alive now if Columbine didn't happen, their suicide was a tribute to Eric and Dylan. I think one survived with brain damage though?

Any links to this story?
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
spidEr wrote:

Any links to this story?

I found this.

They contacted Brooks years  before according to the article. Other girls Brooks chatted with... he's been at it for a while.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Screamingophelia on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Szabo

Contribution Points : 67713
Forum Reputation : 35

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 10:52 pm

What a messed up story and one of them survived?! I was expecting to read they were teenagers, but they were apparently 29!

I'm surprised I've never heard of this story before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 9:11 am

That is just a very strange story. scratch
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 am

"Brown had once been bullied by Columbine shooter Eric Harris"

LOL at this comment. I had forgotten about those girls! And yes amazed at the age of them!

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 am

Lizpuff wrote:

Yes, we all know how poor Brooks was relentlessly bullied by the evil, psychopath Eric Harris. Rolling Eyes Haha
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 10:43 am

More like "frenemies" more than bullied.

I expected them to be younger too. I'm assuming there was more going on with them.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 10:44 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

Yes, we all know how poor Brooks was relentlessly bullied by the evil, psychopath Eric Harris. Rolling Eyes Haha

Eric forcing Brooks to drive him to school. Mean psychopath:(

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am

And I'm sure Brooks was a perfect angel himself....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

Eric forcing Brooks to drive him to school. Mean psychopath:(

Laughing

Also hurling a ice ball and cracking his windshield, then not paying for shit! Roll
Back to top Go down
Tuga

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 5:16 pm

''A member of the SWAT team that entered the library told him recently that he is recovering from substance abuse, and that 10 of the 16 team members have died by overdose or suicide.''
From this fairly recent article: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I hope they found peace among the dead.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Tuga wrote:
''A member of the SWAT team that entered the library told him recently that he is recovering from substance abuse, and that 10 of the 16 team members have died by overdose or suicide.''
From this fairly recent article: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That is heartbreaking. It could not have helped that LE and first responders from that day still get blamed for not going into the school sooner. The guilt must be immense. I know some were just following orders, I am very conflicted on the topic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Tuga wrote:

That really is heartbreaking! I agree [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], I have very mixed feelings on that subject as well. I am sure the guilt would eat away at you. Sad
Back to top Go down
Tuga

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 5:25 pm

My feelings on the topic are rather mixed as well but they are rather negative leaning so I'll withhold them in case one of them is lurking around this forum.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2017 12:14 am

Was it Aaron or Kevin who killed themselves? It was one of the boys in the room with Mr. Sanders. One of them was Devon's ex and on the hit list I believe.

boringguy

Contribution Points : 82710
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2017 2:39 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
spidEr wrote:

Any links to this story?

I found this.

They contacted Brooks years  before according to the article. Other girls Brooks chatted with... he's been at it for a while.

Here's another article which gives more info on their background.

Their whole story is odd. Interestingly, Kristin, who didn't survive, worked as a teacher and school administrator. Also, the surviving twin, Candice, denies that the incident had anything to do with Columbine. I can't find any other statements from her or any more information regarding her recovery.
Back to top Go down
23september

Contribution Points : 66315
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2017 8:42 am

Tuga wrote:

Austin Eubanks (from the article) did a TedTalk not too long ago about his substance abuse related to Columbine. Really good in my opinion. And I hope so too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suicides directly related to Columbine.   Suicides directly related to Columbine. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suicides directly related to Columbine.
Page 1 of 1