Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Demeanor change?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193257
Forum Reputation : 1317

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2017 8:08 pm

I know I asked about who died after Dylan's confrontation with Val. Then there was Eric and Bree arguing after Eric broke his nose.

After that is that when they killed Isaiah and Dan Mauser? Or before?

I'm just wondering if hearing Val scream "what is wrong with you?" etc. rattled them? After that Dylan smashed a chair and they tried to detonate a bomb. Like their hummanity was coming back and/or they were disappointed since it was not what they wanted.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66528
Forum Reputation : 90

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2017 8:16 pm

I think Eric breaking his nose was a significant point in the event that most likely changed the way things happened.
Back to top Go down

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 6:51 am

The kickback of the shotgun was hard enough to break Eric's nose, so it likely disoriented him to a degree. I'm sure that was SO not part of Eric's plans, but just how addled he was after that is not really known.

There were a lot of things that could have had an effect on the outcome, the shotgun to the face was just one of them.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 am

Although to add to that, Eric probably didn't feel as much pain as he normally would due to all the adrenaline.

I agree, he was likely extremely disoriented
Back to top Go down

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 8:50 am

Littlelo wrote:
Although to add to that, Eric probably didn't feel as much pain as he normally would due to all the adrenaline.

I agree, he was likely extremely disoriented

I don't know about that, adrenaline would only block so much. I'm sure the force from that kickback likely knocked some of it out of him.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 8:57 am

I do often wonder if either of them have a moment of "wow why am I doing this?" Or a feeling of sympathy. Many people use the 9-1-1 call as proof that both of them were cruel and heartless, which is a fair assessment. But we don't know for sure what they were really feeling I guess.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 9:03 am

That's why I was wondering what happened after Val because after they left the library they wandered. I think Dylan was trying to put on a show so to speak. We'll never know.

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 9:19 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
That's why I was wondering what happened after Val because after they left the library they wandered. I think Dylan was trying to put on a show so to speak. We'll never know.

I do think that at some point the adrenaline did wear off a bit, and after the high started fading they looked around and was like "WOW, look what we have done!" But whether it was a proud or a horrified moment is anyone's guess.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 9:21 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

I do think that at some point the adrenaline did wear off a bit, and after the high started fading they looked around and was like "WOW, look what we have done!" Ā But whether it was a proud or a horrified moment is anyone's guess.

It's so creepy to think that there's a chance they looked around and were proud of themselves.

I do subscribe to the theory that they were both disappointed about the bombs, though. And that their morale and motivation declined because of that failure. I mean that was the main part of their plan.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 9:26 am

Littlelo wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

I do think that at some point the adrenaline did wear off a bit, and after the high started fading they looked around and was like "WOW, look what we have done!" Ā But whether it was a proud or a horrified moment is anyone's guess.

It's so creepy to think that there's a chance they looked around and were proud of themselves.

I do subscribe to the theory that they were both disappointed about the bombs, though. And that their morale and motivation declined because of that failure. I mean that was the main part of their plan.

I got the vibe that they didn't want to kill people up close, just pick them off as they were running out.

Then you have Dylan whose talking about knifing people and shooting people in the face.

I read an early report where Lance Kirklin said it was Eric who shot him. Ballistics probably proved otherwise.
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 83307
Forum Reputation : 598

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 9:35 am

I'm not an expert on the events of the library, but my understanding is that only Kyle and Steven were killed before the broken nose. Cassie was on the west side of the library and that was the first section they walked through after going by the computer area. I think they killed Isaiah and Matthew right after that.

Also, they continued to kill after shooting Valeen. I'm not sure of the exact order but this was on the east side of library and I believe that they went to the center section last, where they killed Daniel and Corey. I'm not totally sure if they killed Kelly and John before or after they went to Val and Lauren's table but they did continue to shoot people after they shot the girls at Table 2, as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 10:41 am

sscc wrote:
I'm not an expert on the events of the library, but my understanding is that only Kyle and Steven were killed before the broken nose. Cassie was on the west side of the library and that was the first section they walked through after going by the computer area. I think they killed Isaiah and Matthew right after that.

Also, they continued to kill after shooting Valeen. I'm not sure of the exact order but this was on the east side of library and I believe that they went to the center section last, where they killed Daniel and Corey. I'm not totally sure if they killed Kelly and John before or after they went to Val and Lauren's table but they did continue to shoot people after they shot the girls at Table 2, as far as I know.

Thanks. I was always a bit unsure on the time line
Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105438
Forum Reputation : 1235

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 11:40 am

The bombs not going off had to hit them hard. Let's not forget the plan was to bomb the cafeteria and kill loads of people, then pick off kids running out. They planned on the bombs killing alot of people, so when they failed we can only assume they were really disappointed. As far as the broken nose, I can almost guarantee he felt it, even with adrenaline. Ever get punched in the nose, even somewhat lightly? Your eyes water like crazy and it is painful. His nose was broken so bad that it was crooked, so adrenaline or not, he felt it. I'm pretty sure that Bree said he had a hard time when he was kneeling on his feet talking to her.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 11:46 am

I always figured if the bombs had detonated, they would have remained outside. But in TBT they talk about "charging through the school" so I guess that was always part of their plan, right?
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120403
Forum Reputation : 3191

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Littlelo wrote:
I always figured if the bombs had detonated, they would have remained outside. But in TBT they talk about "charging through the school" so I guess that was always part of their plan, right?

I think so. IIRC Eric talks about in his journal about going into the school and shooting people after the cafeteria bombs.

sscc

Contribution Points : 83307
Forum Reputation : 598

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 1:41 pm

Littlelo wrote:
That's what I believe. This has no real basis in fact but I have a vision of their plan going as expected where they would pick off cafeteria survivors and people leaving from the west entrance. When people started retreating and heading down the hall toward other exits because they figured out where the shooters were, I would expect that they would follow them into the west entrance and probably head down the main hall shooting fleeing students, possibly with a final goal of a shootout with arriving cops from the east entrance of the school. The way I imagine this, it would have been a lot more reminiscent of Doom than shooting cowering students under tables in the library.

It's related to the failure of the bombs, but I suspect that this also factors into the explanation of why Eric seemed to lose interest in shooting his classmates before they ran out of ammunition. I think he wanted absolute chaos, action and excitement but after the shooting outside, they basically only had a bunch of students hiding quietly in the library or in classrooms. I also think that this is why they told everyone to stand up. It would have been easiest to kill people by systematically shooting under the tables. I think they may have wanted people to stand up and were planning to allow them to try to escape so they could shoot them as they fled. When no one stood up, it was boring. Shooting fish in a barrel, basically, and nothing resembling the exciting Doom-like scenario that Eric was trying to manifest.

I think Dylan may have actually preferred shooting people close up though, and that's why he seemed so excited in the library. I think Dylan was more intrigued by the aspect of "playing god" during the shooting than Eric was. In his essay, all of the killing was very up close and personal, and I think that this is what he was looking for. Outside, Eric took a perch at the top of the stairs, almost like a sniper for much of the shooting, while Dylan was generally moving towards his victims or standing right next to them when he was firing.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 4:40 pm

sscc wrote:
Littlelo wrote:

I think Dylan may have actually preferred shooting people close up though, and that's why he seemed so excited in the library. I think Dylan was more intrigued by the aspect of "playing god" during the shooting than Eric was. In his essay, all of the killing was very up close and personal, and I think that this is what he was looking for. Outside, Eric took a perch at the top of the stairs, almost like a sniper for much of the shooting, while Dylan was generally moving towards his victims or standing right next to them when he was firing.

I never thought about this before but I think you're right. Plus didn't Dylan grab Isaiah's leg in the library?
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Littlelo wrote:
sscc wrote:
Littlelo wrote:

I never thought about this before but I think you're right. Plus didn't Dylan grab Isaiah's leg in the library?

Yes, he did

Sscc, awesome post. It's a lot to think about.

Witnesses said Eric was like a soilder on a mission and Dylan was a maniac. Most of the yelling and "wooting" was him.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Just makes it harder to believe that one of them needed to yell "are you still with me?" Or "are we still doing this?". Unless it was misheard or in a different context.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 4:56 pm

I'd love to hear an interview with Lisa Kreutz. She was more councious than Patrick I think?

I'll add that to the fantasy list with a Wayne Harris interview, full Basement Tapes and world peace...

Littlelo

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 4:58 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
I'd love to hear an interview with Lisa Kreutz. She was more councious than Patrick I think?

I'll add that to the fantasy list with a Wayne Harris interview, full Basement Tapes and world peace...

LOL seriously. A girl can dream!
Back to top Go down

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:

Actually we have a better chance at world peace then we do of getting the basement tapes or an interview with Eric's dad. Haha
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 5:41 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

Actually we have a better chance at world peace then we do of getting the basement tapes or an interview with Eric's dad. Haha

The way the world is going anything is possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Demeanor change?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demeanor change?    Demeanor change?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Demeanor change?
Page 1 of 1