Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Contribution Points : 69941
Forum Reputation : 95

Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Empty
PostSubject: Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?   Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 8:25 pm

I am curious was there even any changes in Norwegian gun laws after his attack?

I found this article but can it really be true that they will ban all semi automatic weapons that sounds very extreme.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also if anyone have any knowledge if gun laws changed in Finland after the two school shootings, so far I haven´t been able to find anything mentioning that they changed.

Back to top Go down
UncontinuedProcess

UncontinuedProcess

Contribution Points : 66307
Forum Reputation : 430

PostSubject: Re: Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?   Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 10:49 am

TheGoodGuy wrote:

I found this article but can it really be true that they will ban all semi automatic weapons that sounds very extreme.

Also if anyone have any knowledge if gun laws changed in Finland after the two school shootings, so far I haven´t been able to find anything mentioning that they changed.  

I think in Finland, they changed some legislation so that in order to obtain a pistol license, you have to be 20 years old or older (Pekka was 17-18 when he got his but I'm not exactly sure) and have to be active in target shooting hobbies for atleast 2 years before a license could be obtained.
Back to top Go down
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Contribution Points : 69941
Forum Reputation : 95

PostSubject: Re: Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?   Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 6:26 pm

UncontinuedProcess wrote:
TheGoodGuy wrote:

I think in Finland, they changed some legislation so that in order to obtain a pistol license, you have to be 20 years old or older (Pekka was 17-18 when he got his but I'm not exactly sure) and have to be active in target shooting hobbies for atleast 2 years before a license could be obtained.  
Do you have any sources of this?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?   Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 8:07 pm

UncontinuedProcess wrote:
TheGoodGuy wrote:

Pekka was 18 when he purchased his handgun, which at the time was the required age to buy a handgun, but was raised after the Kauhajoki Massacre to 21
Back to top Go down
Koltin
Off Topic Moderator, Discord Admin & Top Contributor
Koltin

Contribution Points : 103836
Forum Reputation : 143

PostSubject: Re: Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?   Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 11:54 am

Yes they are banning semi auto guns in 2020. Bolt action are still going to be legal as far as I know.

And destiny is proving to be absent from my life.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78103
Forum Reputation : 304

PostSubject: Re: Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?   Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2021 1:51 pm

Given Im from Norway, I can confirm this.

And, no, its not extreme.
I know a lot of americans will disagree.

QuestionMark and Mr Bubbless dislike this post

Back to top Go down
Koltin
Off Topic Moderator, Discord Admin & Top Contributor
Koltin

Contribution Points : 103836
Forum Reputation : 143

PostSubject: Re: Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?   Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2021 4:15 pm

Semi auto banned for hunting, to own one for competition you'll to do some extra paper work AFAIK.
Magazines were restricted to 20 Handguns 10 rifles and 5 shotguns.

And destiny is proving to be absent from my life.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?   Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2021 5:55 pm

I personally have a huge problem with laxed gun laws.

Its not about banning them, completely. A lot of people in Norway do have weapons that they use for hunting or other.

I dont have a problem with that. I believe that most of them are responsible people that follow the rules and regulations.
I dont believe in taking away guns from law abiding citizens.

But my concern isnt with them. Its with people like Breivik.

If people read Reid Meloy and hes research, its very clear that guns are just as much a part of the issue. You are more likely to harm people with certain firearms than with å knife.

QuestionMark dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?   Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Norwegian wrote:
A lot of people in Norway do have weapons that they use for hunting or other.

It is not a question about hunting so much as it is giving a person a reasonable degree of ability to defend themselves from a violent attack. Americans overwhelmingly buy guns for self defense.

Mr Bubbless likes this post

Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?   Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2021 4:41 am

[quote="QuestionMark"]
Norwegian wrote:
A lot of people in Norway do have weapons that they use for hunting or other.

It is not a question about hunting so much as it is giving a person a reasonable degree of ability to defend themselves from a violent attack. Americans overwhelmingly buy guns for self defense. [/quo

Just because americans buy guns for self defence, it doesnt mean that we should overlook the role that firearms play in these situations completely. Again, its not about banning them. Its about making it in-accessible to people that shouldnt have them. As long as the US have more access to firearms than any other country and liddle access to mental health , they are going to gripple with mass shootings. If people want to prevent it from happening, they have to fix it the right way. Guns are def part of the issue as much as anything else related to the issue.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?   Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2021 4:47 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?   Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Change in Gun Laws after Anders Breivik´s attack?
Page 1 of 1