Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?

Go down 
+5
rabadon55
Jea
macks_ant86
QuestionMark
pess1mist
9 posters
AuthorMessage
pess1mist

Contribution Points : 56865
Forum Reputation : 15

Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Empty
PostSubject: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 7:07 am

I feel like they should remain up since it's apart of history. I think the public has a right to know what they were posting online prior to going on a murderous spree. In some cases, I can understand like most recently with Cruz. He had very disturbing images that very clearly broke Instagram's guidelines regardless of whether or not he went on a killing spree. But Randy's channel? William's? These act as archives to let us know who they were beforehand and are really all we have to go by for the people who are interested in learning more about the killer other than what the media*cough*lies*cough* tells us about them. Do you think they should delete their profiles after the fact? Why do you think they do it? Are there any killers in particular you feel have gotten an unfair treatment of their e-footprint?

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 11:06 am

pess1mist wrote:
Are there any killers in particular you feel have gotten an unfair treatment of their e-footprint?

I'm not happy at all that Bill's Mediafire account was taken down. That account could've had a wealth of information and since nobody archived it it's now wiped from history.

macks_ant86

macks_ant86

Contribution Points : 64146
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 3:06 pm

They're completely right to delete them so that they're not kept public. I think there is a lot to be learned by studying these archives but you have to balance that against people with murder-suicide ideation being galvanised by them to commit similar atrocities.

I remember [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (Randy Stair) making the same point.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Seems to me, the people that the deletion of material would irk the most is the perpetrators themselves who are motivated by infamy.

anna444 dislikes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 3:37 pm

I can see both sides to this as well.

I understand why some accounts are wiped clean, but at the same time it irritates me. I think they are possibly deleting valuable info that may help others understand how someone could do these types of things.
Back to top Go down
Jea

Jea

Contribution Points : 57567
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Well, I think first of all it's because of friends/contacts on those social media pages. Some of the people can write very bizarre things to friends or anyone who ever commented on shooter's page. Also, it's always a huge wave of negativity and hate in aftermath, so social networks try to distance themselves from heavy impact. And of course to prevent the emergence of followers, copycats and fans.

rabadon55

rabadon55

Contribution Points : 58065
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 4:35 pm

Elliot Rodger's channel still exists for example.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192924
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Jea wrote:
Well, I think first of all it's because of friends/contacts on those social media pages. Some of the people can write very bizarre things to friends or anyone who ever commented on shooter's page. Also, it's always a huge wave of negativity and hate in aftermath, so social networks try to distance themselves from heavy impact. And of course to prevent the emergence of followers, copycats and fans.

I can see that as well.

Look at the info that has gotten leaked from Eric and Dylan's friends pages throughout the year.

I think people not even associated with the shooters who were survivors get harassing messages as well.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 pm

rabadon55 wrote:

His last video was iced though.

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Contribution Points : 69966
Forum Reputation : 95

PostSubject: Re: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 1:58 am

They should at least Achieve ALL of the content before deleting the account for historical purposes and to why they should be deleted [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] comes with a great point that all of the hate comment and possibly the "heavy impact" the social media will take. But it should be required to achieve the shooters content first and then upload it for all to see

And I must agree with Randy Stair, history should be preserved! I love history and even though people don´t like what has happened and it "may" inspire others it´s still history! Think about Bonnie and Clyde or John Dillinger and the North Hollywood shootout their items have all been preserved and so should lets say the basement tapes of Columbine or the evidence from Columbine and other shootings. Think about in 100-200 years or even 500 years from now! They shouldn´t try to censor history just so they can be political correct by not offending anyone by let´s say put the evidence in a museum. That makes me think about there were talk about putting the car used in the bombing by Anders Breivik in a museum but I think it was declined but it should seriously be put in a museum because it´s an important part of history now! People are too concerned about and i quote "not giving the mass shooter what he want" that they are willing to delete a part of history just out of spite. And yes since Anders Breivik is still alive he would probably get a lot of pleasure from knowing his bomb car made it to a museum but again people need to put apart their biased opinions and not destroy evidence out of spite of it might be what the shooter wanted or because they are trying to be PC about the whole ordeal.
Back to top Go down
Krieg

Krieg

Contribution Points : 59874
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 2:24 am

Sometimes those pages become like "cult locations" of the shooter like Elliot Rodger.If you look at the comment section there are alot of people who glorify him
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 8:07 am

TheGoodGuy wrote:
People are too concerned about and i quote "not giving the mass shooter what he want" that they are willing to delete a part of history just out of spite.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mirwais500

Mirwais500

Contribution Points : 58463
Forum Reputation : 12

PostSubject: Re: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 9:30 am

QuestionMark wrote:
rabadon55 wrote:

His last video was iced though.

To be fair he was actually threatening to kill people in that video unlike the other videos he made.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?   Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why do social media networks delete shooter's profiles?
Page 1 of 1