Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jeff Kass and the Klebolds

Go down 
+3
Oldmare
Lizpuff
Screamingophelia
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 195553
Forum Reputation : 1317

Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Empty
PostSubject: Jeff Kass and the Klebolds    Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2018 2:04 am

I came across an interesting write up with several quotes from articles about the writing of Columbine: A True Crime Story which has a LOT of information in it, a lot of stories from people like Devon and also information on Tom and Sue such as their genealogy and the fact that Sue had her own issues with mental health while she was in college. I think she touched a little bit on it in her book too.

Here is Sue touching on how one member of the media was VERY intrusive and it was Jeff Kass. The way he went about getting information according to this write up seems excessive to them.

So has anyone else read his book? Have you heard about the controversy between the families.

He met Wayne as well during the Luvox hearing and at first I guess he denied being Wayne Harris... he also followed him into a urinal.

Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 98449
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Kass and the Klebolds    Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2018 6:30 pm

I really enjoyed Kass's book. I did wonder how he knew some of the things that he knew, esp some of Sue's mental health struggles from her youth. I am not in any way surprised that he used his skills as a reporter to get the "inside scoop". No one likes reporters

Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 195553
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Kass and the Klebolds    Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2018 6:42 pm

I like his book a lot more than Cullen’s for sure.

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Kass and the Klebolds    Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2018 6:46 pm

I have read it. He did pretty much say that he was pushy while he was writing his book. Smile
Back to top Go down
Oldmare

Oldmare

Contribution Points : 61649
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Kass and the Klebolds    Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 5:21 pm

I just started it last night. So far there are some minor errors but nothing major stands out. Too bad he had to be a ×!/^*$@ to get his material.
Back to top Go down
jodie-b

Contribution Points : 67275

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Kass and the Klebolds    Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 6:30 pm

I have not read Kass's book, is it any good? Would people recommend it?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Kass and the Klebolds    Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 6:34 pm

jodie-b wrote:

Yes. It is a decent read in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

Contribution Points : 81681

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Kass and the Klebolds    Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 6:35 pm

jodie-b wrote:

Long time ago since I read it, but I remember it to be worth reading for sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Kass and the Klebolds    Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2020 3:41 am

Moved.
Back to top Go down
Ligeya

Contribution Points : 44699
Forum Reputation : 53

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Kass and the Klebolds    Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2020 7:35 am

I really like Jeff Kass' book, but one of the things that surprised me about it was his negativity about Klebolds and especially about Sue. He dig out old story about her mental health issues from her youth (if i remember correctly, intense fear of death), and while i think it's pretty relevant to the story of Dylan, it was very invasive and out of line. There were other moments when Kass was writing about her that seemed really agressive. It was very strange.
He was more generous to Harrises, though he wrote about stalking Wayne in the toilet. A lot of information about families in the book.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 85032
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Kass and the Klebolds    Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2020 4:34 pm

Ligeya wrote:
I really like Jeff Kass' book, but one of the things that surprised me about it was his negativity about Klebolds and especially about Sue. He dig out old story about her mental health issues from her youth (if i remember correctly, intense fear of death),  and while i think it's pretty relevant to the story of Dylan, it was very invasive and out of line. There were other moments when Kass was writing about her that seemed really agressive. It was very strange.
He was more generous to Harrises, though he wrote about stalking Wayne in the toilet. A lot of information about families in the book.

I think Kass's book is probably the best I've read on the subject. I know there were a few things I didn't agree with; can't remember specifically what those were at the moment as it has been a while since I looked at it. I got the impression that he included Sue's previous mental health history to show the potential connection of inherited issues that may have affected Dylan. From an investigative standpoint, it's a valid link to make. I'm not sure about the ethics of it. On one hand, the case study was published under a pseudonym to protect Sue's privacy and doctor-patient confidentiality. On the other hand, it was Sue's psychiatrist who was ethically/ legally bound by those rules, not Kass. And it might be argued that Kass would have a duty as an investigative journalist to dig up information that might help shed light on why Columbine happened.

I certainly don't blame Sue for being upset with having something so personal revealed. But I think that Kass was harder on the Klebolds because they were very active in trying to block information from getting out. They were trying the control the narrative about Dylan really early on and some of what they did would be viewed as more in their best interests than those of the victims' or families. The Harris's did this, too, but to a much lesser extent, which may be why he didn't have as much to say about them
Anyway, highly recommend this book for anyone who hasn't read it yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Kass and the Klebolds    Jeff Kass and the Klebolds  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jeff Kass and the Klebolds
Page 1 of 1