Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

 

 What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?

Go down 
+11
Justjenna
Tommy QTR
W.A.R.
Sane One
QuestionMark
EBE111715
Indigowendigo
Screamingophelia
sororityalpha
munchkinphone
Sabratha
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest




What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 12:49 am

This has to be the most debated question pertaining to a school shooting ever. What do you think was the driving motive for Eric and Dylan that culminated them into shooting up the school? The most argued reasons are bullying, mental illness, lack of success with friends and girls and no one accepting them.

But what would your own opinion be? One you know that is genuine and solid and one that you firmly stand by.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 1:05 am

Stupidity and edgyness.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha


Posts : 1541
Contribution Points : 79352
Forum Reputation : 165
Join date : 2015-03-31
Location : The Mazovian Lowland

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 3:39 am

I believe the reasons for this shootings lie in the beliefs and mental states of Dylan and Eric.

_________________
Life is like a tram - you need to know when to get off.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest




What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 3:43 am

The feeling they were powerless, weak and rejected combined with some mental health issues such as depression that made them think they had nothing to lose. Then the more they thought about it the more extreme they became.
Back to top Go down
munchkinphone




Posts : 564
Contribution Points : 48214
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2017-10-31

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 11:04 am

Numbness and powerlessness
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha


Posts : 2905
Contribution Points : 105807
Forum Reputation : 901
Join date : 2013-03-22

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 1:43 pm

INFAMY

Eric: Isn't it fun to get the respect that we're going to deserve?

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia


Posts : 6251
Contribution Points : 176623
Forum Reputation : 1138
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 40

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 2:04 pm

Powerlessness, wanting to be heard, because it could happen, it was a certain time in a certain place.... hard to explain if you weren't a teen in 1999 and two kids who fed off of each other in a toxic way. Eerily they knew people would remember them for a long time.

Smaller reasons would be bullying, boredom and one kid who wanted to die but had a slow burning rage he kept inside for a really long time (I dare say since he was a kid, he got so embarrassed and upset that he had to be by himself for a long while to calm down) and exploded in the most violent way possible. I always found it interesting how Sue describes the day Dylan was born. It was so quiet and he was so peaceful yet the way he left was violent and loud.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indigowendigo

Indigowendigo


Posts : 25
Contribution Points : 39524
Forum Reputation : 3
Join date : 2018-06-11

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 2:43 pm

All of the above. Truly, I think it was just a perfect storm of all these different issues coming together, throw in some toxic masculinity, two boys with raging hormones feeding off each other. There will never be just ONE thing that causes this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia


Posts : 6251
Contribution Points : 176623
Forum Reputation : 1138
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 40

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Where do you see the toxic masculinity from? I don’t see that. I’m asking genuinely :-)

Don’t think it happened because one of them had to prove how manly they were. And I don’t think they did it because they hated women.

It’s hard to use 2018 buzz words for something that happened 20 years ago. It’s a different time now.

I can kind of see Eric only because he was kind of the runt of litter, had health issues, was more creative and maybe sensitive and he had an older brother and father who seemed more of the “typical manly” type.

I think Dylan was fine with being a man and was raised to have positive attributes, I think he had an issue with his humanity as a whole.

Sure both of them wanted to date and wanted girls to notice them but hell i am female and was involuntary celibate and pissed off about it.

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest




What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Powerlessness [...] two kids who fed off of each other in a toxic way.

I think it is mainly all about these two things. And I think it can also apply to most school shootings, except that most of them do it alone, and so feed off themselves with more and more bad ideas and hate.
Back to top Go down
EBE111715




Posts : 14
Contribution Points : 42484
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2018-01-11

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 3:18 pm

@screamingophlia, totally agree. I was a senior in high school when Columbine happened. 19 years doesn't seem THAT long ago, but the world was a vastly different place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia


Posts : 6251
Contribution Points : 176623
Forum Reputation : 1138
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 40

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 3:32 pm

EBE111715 wrote:
@screamingophlia, totally agree. I was a senior in high school when Columbine happened. 19 years doesn't seem THAT long ago, but the world was a vastly different place.

I was a senior too and yea,the world for us was so different
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark


Posts : 4076
Contribution Points : 100237
Forum Reputation : 3050
Join date : 2017-09-04

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2018 12:50 am

As a way of giving the world they hated the biggest "fuck you" they could think of. 

Why they hated the world so much, only they could say, but if I had to guess their mental states combined with the shitty school atmosphere made them feel as though they were living in hell.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sane One




Posts : 174
Contribution Points : 69223
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-04-29

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 10:30 pm

Not sure but they were before their time with the internet and journals. You say anything offending on social media today you are fired and done (Roseanne). They wouldn’t have lived long if they lived in todays world.

nochcherna likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
W.A.R.




Posts : 585
Contribution Points : 54800
Forum Reputation : 345
Join date : 2017-03-11

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 10:53 pm

Toxic masculinity from 2 cis gendered fucking white male Nazi's with easy access to weapons of war.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia


Posts : 6251
Contribution Points : 176623
Forum Reputation : 1138
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 40

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2018 12:09 am

W.A.R. wrote:
Toxic masculinity from 2 cis gendered fucking white male Nazi's with easy access to weapons of war.

Are you being sarcastic? Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia


Posts : 6251
Contribution Points : 176623
Forum Reputation : 1138
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 40

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2018 12:10 am

Sane One wrote:
Not sure but they were before their time with the internet and journals. You say anything offending on social media today you are fired and done (Roseanne). They wouldn’t have lived long if they lived in todays world.

Yea, I think people are easily offended and what to make up whatever meanings they want to any words.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy QTR




Posts : 2444
Contribution Points : 76317
Forum Reputation : 550
Join date : 2017-12-28
Age : 20
Location : UK

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2018 4:58 am

Bullying and mental illness.

_________________
"Life's short but I wanna die."

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justjenna




Posts : 46
Contribution Points : 51490
Forum Reputation : 10
Join date : 2016-12-29
Location : Durham, NC

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2018 1:28 pm

I miss 1999. It really was a different time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunkhead McGrath




Posts : 469
Contribution Points : 59811
Forum Reputation : 175
Join date : 2016-11-03

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: college   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
W.A.R. wrote:
Toxic masculinity from 2 cis gendered fucking white male Nazi's with easy access to weapons of war.

Are you being sarcastic? Smile


That poster is probably doing a parody of today's collegiate political environment (which is admittedly somewhat embarrassing in some ways) but Errogant's constant overload of rage rage rage and Dyldo's putzy patheticness aren't that far off the mark from "toxic masculinity," which has existed as long as masculinity itself, probably. It's just that when we think of toxic masculinity we think of bullies, not the bullied--but the masculinity of the bullied or failed males--or whatever pathetic deviations thereof--can be quite pathetic as well, its own brand of "toxic." This may have manifested itself the worst in Elliot Rodger and (ugh) Marc Lepine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest




What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2018 12:23 am

Misanthropy, Hatred, anger, fame, revenge on society and not just bullies
Back to top Go down
Kerea2244
Top 10 Contributor
Kerea2244


Posts : 593
Contribution Points : 108025
Forum Reputation : 40
Join date : 2018-04-28
Age : 22

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2018 5:39 pm

eyutytuheu wrote:
This has to be the most debated question pertaining to a school shooting ever. What do you think was the driving motive for Eric and Dylan that culminated them into shooting up the school? The most argued reasons are bullying, mental illness, lack of success with friends and girls and no one accepting them.

But what would your own opinion be? One you know that is genuine and solid and one that you firmly stand by.
It could be anything. We would know if E or D were more specific on what the reason behind the attack was. I don't think bullying or music had to do with it. Tbh, I dont think they wanted to live any longer (D mainly) and nobody (i think) could see a future for them
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia


Posts : 6251
Contribution Points : 176623
Forum Reputation : 1138
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 40

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2018 7:02 pm

I don’t think it was just one thing.


The January incidents (van and ketchup) I think solidified their bond.

Dylan didn’t have an outlet for his anger until Eric

Every time they were bothered, bullied, rejected, embarrassed etc.. it just added to their anger

I don’t think it could have happened without the two of them together.


Something interesting about the basement tape transcripts I find is the fact that Eric when he was on his own he was crying and talking about old friends. He was vulnerable but not around Dylan.

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slippy123

slippy123


Posts : 879
Contribution Points : 89728
Forum Reputation : 1175
Join date : 2015-08-25

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2018 12:52 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
I don’t think it was just one thing.


The January incidents (van and ketchup) I think solidified their bond.  

Dylan didn’t have an outlet for his anger until Eric

Every time they were bothered, bullied, rejected, embarrassed etc.. it just added to their anger

I don’t think it could have happened without the two of them together.


Something interesting about the basement tape transcripts I find is the fact that Eric when he was on his own he was crying and talking about old friends. He was vulnerable but not around Dylan.

Agreed, it was a mix of things. The main thing was their relationship. Let's not forget that they were the perfect mixture of fire and gasoline. Columbine wouldn't of happened if Dylan never met Eric and vise versa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrHorror93700

MrHorror93700


Posts : 290
Contribution Points : 55640
Forum Reputation : 163
Join date : 2017-06-22

What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Depression
Revenge
Celebrity / Glory

_________________
4AM Monday
04/20/1999
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content





What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?   What do you think was the main reason for Columbine? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
What do you think was the main reason for Columbine?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» "FULL OF HATE" - One of the Main Reasons Why Columbine Happened
» Maybe the reason we are interested in Columbine.
» "IT WILL BE A DAY THAT WILL BE REMEMBERED" - Reason why Columbine Happened
» a reason why Columbine may be legendary/glamourized - friends/duo shooters?
» Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: