Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know Empty
PostSubject: What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know   What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 7:54 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Confessed killer Nikolas Cruz is trying to limit what we get to learn about his murderous rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

A judge will decide whether that makes sense.

Cruz’s lawyers will be in court Friday asking Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer to conceal a report based on Cruz’s education records, a report the school district commissioned to assess how it handled his time at Stoneman Douglas and other schools.

The district for months has deflected media requests for information and promised the report would answer a host of questions. But Cruz’s attorneys are trying to block its release, saying it would compromise his right to a fair trial — even though they acknowledge he’s guilty.

Separately, Cruz’s attorneys have tried to stop release of his statement to police after his arrest Feb. 14.

The effort failed, but the legal maneuvering left the impression that Cruz’s team is trying to keep a grip on the flow of public information.

Attorneys for the First Amendment Foundation have been involved in each of the public records arguments related to the case — joining the South Florida Sun Sentinel and other local and national media outlets.

The foundation’s president, Barbara Petersen, said Cruz’s attorneys are making a predictable attempt to limit information before his trial.

“Cruz is not in the driver’s seat,” Petersen said. “His attorneys are doing what they do all the time, which is to protect their client’s interest. But the judges are the ones in the driver’s seat.”

Cruz’s attorneys at the Broward Public Defender’s Office declined interview requests. Experts said the lawyers are doing what they must in a case where their client’s life is on the line. Cruz faces the death penalty if convicted of 17 counts of first-degree murder.

“Our sole aim is to protect the interest of our clients,” said defense lawyer Johnny McCray, who is not connected to the case. “It’s not my aim or objective to concern myself with what the public wants. I’m trying to ensure my client gets a fair trial.”

So far, judges have ruled in favor of public disclosure every time the issue has been raised.

An appellate court authorized the release of security camera footage from outside the school on the day of the killings. Cruz’s attorneys weren’t involved in that debate, but the school district plans to appeal the ruling to the Florida Supreme Court.

Scherer authorized the release of most of Cruz’s statement to police, although portions that are considered “the substance of a confession” can be withheld under law.

Circuit Judge Patti Englander Henning ruled that the school district can release the report containing Cruz’s education records because it is not part of a criminal investigation. Cruz’s lawyers are asking Scherer to rule on the same question, but on different grounds: that Cruz will not get a fair trial if the report is released.

Florida’s public records laws generally favor disclosure of documents and evidence that prosecutors turn over to the defense, with specific exceptions.

Most public records exemptions are lifted once evidence is introduced at trial or the case is resolved. Cruz’s lawyers have offered to have him plead guilty in exchange for a life sentence, clearing the path for a release of most of the evidence.

The State Attorney’s Office has countered that the killer in this case should not get to choose his punishment.

I really don't see why they are fighting SO hard trying to keep things sealed. scratch

The most damaging things to this case have already been released, which were the cell videos that Cruz filmed of himself. Everyone knows he is guilty. He admitted it, his own lawyers have said it several times. Hell they have pushed for a plea deal of Cruz's guilt for a life sentence since day one.  Also in a round about way it is even possible that somethings found in his records could make people sympathize with him, what he had been through, his mental issues, etc.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that his defense team is trying to play the game of "Ok take the death penalty off the table like we want AND we will let everything be released."

Back to top Go down
23september

Contribution Points : 66265
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know   What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 9:48 am

Don't know too much about the American justice system but couldn't new information still persuade the judges to give him the death penalty?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know   What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 10:29 am

23september wrote:
Don't know too much about the American justice system but couldn't new information still persuade the judges to give him the death penalty?

Honestly Cruz will be getting a death sentence either way it goes. A sentence of life without parole would just be the slower version.
Back to top Go down
23september

Contribution Points : 66265
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know   What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 1:54 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
23september wrote:

Honestly Cruz will be getting a death sentence either way it goes.  A sentence of life without parole would just be the slower version.

very true
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97565
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know   What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 3:37 pm

23september wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
23september wrote:

Honestly Cruz will be getting a death sentence either way it goes.  A sentence of life without parole would just be the slower version.

very true

I hope he gets life without parole, maybe in solitary. Or death.

Life without parole is the more mature option, the less flashy, less drama thing. On the other hand it does mean that the taxpayers will end up having to fund his clothes, food, electricity, security etc. For me that is the one important benefit of the death penalty.

anna444 dislikes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know   What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 3:41 pm

tbh lethal injection sounds horrid appearently your unconcious but can feel the pain.
Back to top Go down
STK

STK

Contribution Points : 72944
Forum Reputation : 330

PostSubject: Re: What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know   What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Duke Nukem wrote:
tbh lethal injection sounds horrid appearently your unconcious but can feel the pain.
I honestly don't understand why we don't just shoot death row inmates in the back of the head, like China or the old Soviet Union; It's a lot less complicated, and a hell of alot less likely to fail than lethal injection.

"If opportunities for role fulfilment fall far short of the demand by those capable of filling roles, and having expectations to do so, only violence and disruption of social organization can follow. Individuals born under these circumstances will be so out of touch with reality as to be incapable even of alienation. Their most complex behaviors will become fragmented. Acquisition, creation and utilization of ideas appropriate for life in a post-industrial cultural-conceptual-technological society will have been blocked."
- John B. Calhoun

"If I died thirsty, it wouldn't matter for me if it rains ever again"
- Abu Firas al-Hamdani

anna444 dislikes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know   What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 5:15 pm

STK wrote:
Duke Nukem wrote:
I honestly don't understand why we don't just shoot death row inmates in the back of the head, like China or the old Soviet Union; It's a lot less complicated, and a hell of alot less likely to fail than lethal injection.

yeah, it's real simple too. tbh i'd rather die with a gunshot feeling that pain for a second and knowing im dead then being unconsious and feeling the poison but not knowing i'm dead.

dying without realizing i'm dead has always been a fear for me.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120353
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know   What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 10:35 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
I really don't see why they are fighting SO hard trying to keep things sealed. scratch 

Spite, maybe. 

"Won't take the death penalty off the table? Ok. We're gonna make the next four years hell. See you in court!"

PostSubject: Re: What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know   What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2018 1:04 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Spite, maybe. 

"Won't take the death penalty off the table? Ok. We're gonna make the next four years hell. See you in court!"

This was my thoughts as well. But considering the judge ultimately ruled against them, it might make them stop fighting this nitpick shit. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know   What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What led to the Parkland school shooting? Killer doesn't want you to know
Page 1 of 1