Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Instead of the Library

Go down 
+5
Tommy QTR
VoDKaComeHere
thelmar
Screamingophelia
Kerea2244
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Kerea2244
Top 10 Contributor
Kerea2244

Contribution Points : 122900
Forum Reputation : 40

Instead of the Library Empty
PostSubject: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 8:06 pm

Why did E & D just go to the library? Couldn't they go to separate classrooms and start shooting?
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Excellent question!

Now that I think about it they weren’t really apart from each other for very long.I imagine they would’ve felt unguarded if they had split up and done that. Also the proximity of the library to the cafeteria was an advantage. Another reason was that the windows looked out at the cops. And also some say it was kind of their sanctuary when they were younger and underclassman.

I also imagine when they saw Patti run in there they probably wanted to keep scaring her

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82007
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 12:08 am

No one will ever really know but I always assumed that next to the cafeteria/ Commons area, the library was bound to have the greatest number of students in it at any given time. Since they wanted to maximize the number of deaths/ injuries they caused it was an ideal place to attack.

Once the bombs failed to go off and the majority of people had fled the cafeteria, the library was the next best place to try to increase the number of casualties.

And as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] mentioned, although E & D were apart for brief periods I think they were more comfortable doing what they were doing together. Whether it be because they could cover each other and prevent civilians or law enforcement from taking one of them down or they just needed the support of the other to continue the attack.  That's probably why they didn't split up and go in different directions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 1:17 am

If they shot everyone in the libary, how many could have been killed?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 3:08 am

Ziamber II wrote:

It all depends on shot-placement, so i don't know what the exact number would be. I know for a fact that their body-count would definitely increase.
Back to top Go down
VoDKaComeHere

Contribution Points : 59390
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 4:09 am

Ziamber II wrote:
56, 52 students and four staff members, they had more then enough ammo to do so to.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 1:39 pm

Why didn't they?
Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

Contribution Points : 91192
Forum Reputation : 575

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Ziamber II wrote:
Why didn't they?
I think they just tired of killing people and thought they wouldn't have enough ammunition to commit suicide.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Kerea2244 wrote:
Why did E & D just go to the library? Couldn't they go to separate classrooms and start shooting?

A better plan B would've been to go into the cafeteria and start shooting. there were literally hundreds of people there - in five minutes you could easily see a death toll as high as 40.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 6:17 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Kerea2244 wrote:

A better plan B would've been to go into the cafeteria and start shooting. there were literally hundreds of people there - in five minutes you could easily see a death toll as high as 40.

I do agree that the cafeteria would have had a better concentration of potential targets.
Back to top Go down
Adzybear

Adzybear

Contribution Points : 60086
Forum Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 7:04 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Kerea2244 wrote:

I always wonder why Dylan didn't shoot into the cafeteria when he "checked" on the bombs early on. Was it they only shot with each other when they were together? Dylan could have sprayed plenty with his Tec-9 into the Cafeteria. Was he just taking his sweet time?.....my mind never stops about the decisions of those 2 that morning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2018 7:10 am

Adzybear wrote:
I always wonder why Dylan didn't shoot into the cafeteria when he "checked" on the bombs early on. Was it they only shot with each other when they were together? Dylan could have sprayed plenty with his Tec-9 into the Cafeteria. Was he just taking his sweet time?.....my mind never stops about the decisions of those 2 that morning.

True. The many questions that surround Columbine and E&D in general are endless. I'd love to be able to know what was truly going through their minds that morning. No
Back to top Go down
5PMSomewhere

5PMSomewhere

Contribution Points : 52855
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Tommy QTR wrote:
Ziamber II wrote:
Why didn't they?
I think they just tired of killing people and thought they wouldn't have enough ammunition to commit suicide.

I've always thought they didn't kill *as many* as what one would think is cause of the bomb failure and the subsequent outcome of that...

~ After the bombing failed I presume they (especially Eric) thought how everyone would have seen it and them as a pure failure ~knowing all the material they left behind would be looked in to. One of (if not their main goal depending how you see it) the main goals being infamy through the bombs.

~ As a result of the failure an on the spur plan being the must have felt they had to go in and kill a bunch of people to get their infamy and keep up some end of a story/legacy...whatever word you like to use. Get that done and then try and (to them more importantly) get the bombs to go off and blow up the school and all that.

~ Killing people with strictly firearms was never the main goal, only a 15 minute or so period where they felt they had to do it due to circumstances. Which would have lead to adrenaline quickly wearing off etc as people have mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 96835
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Ziamber II wrote:
Why didn't they?

That's one of the things about the massacre that still puzzles me. I think Eric's focus on the bombs, Eric's broken nose and the overall "improvisation" of the shooting were all factors.

Adzybear wrote:
Dylan could have sprayed plenty with his Tec-9 into the Cafeteria. Was he just taking his sweet time?.....my mind never stops about the decisions of those 2 that morning.

I think I can answer that one. We tend to look at the shooting as a one sided terror-show, but I imagine singly facing over 200 people in the cafeteria was not a reassuring experience for Dylan.

His Tec-9 had only semi-auto mode, moreover (correct me if I'm wrong) it had already jammed on the big clip when he was outside. I imagine he didn't want to find himself without Eric, facing that huge mass of people with a two-shot shotgun and a gun that he knows can easily jam on him.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Adzybear

Adzybear

Contribution Points : 60086
Forum Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 3:36 pm

Sabratha wrote:
Ziamber II wrote:
Why didn't they?

That's one of the things about the massacre that still puzzles me. I think Eric's focus on the bombs, Eric's broken nose and the overall "improvisation" of the shooting were all factors.

Adzybear wrote:
Dylan could have sprayed plenty with his Tec-9 into the Cafeteria. Was he just taking his sweet time?.....my mind never stops about the decisions of those 2 that morning.

I think I can answer that one. We tend to look at the shooting as a one sided terror-show, but I imagine singly facing over 200 people in the cafeteria was not a reassuring experience for Dylan.

His Tec-9 had only semi-auto mode, moreover (correct me if I'm wrong) it had already jammed on the big clip when he was outside. I imagine he didn't want to find himself without Eric, facing that huge mass of people with a two-shot shotgun and a gun that he knows can easily jam on him.

Great thought there. I really enjoyed your point of view. Thankyou
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 96835
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2018 1:17 pm

[quote="Adzybear"]
Adzybear wrote:
Great thought there. I really enjoyed your point of view. Thankyou

Thanks. I think that's the most obvious explanation why he didn't try to single-handedly storm the cafeteria.

The end of the library shooting is far more puzzling. They were both there to support one another. They were already controlling everyone there with fear. They met no opposition, except the failed attempt by the freshman Daniel Mauser. They certainly had little to fear and had the capacity to kill off pretty much everyone.

There's certainly not a certain answer to that. I personally think that, despite the triumphal shouts from Dylan, it was in fact Eric who was the motor of the shooting there. Once he broke his nose and decided to go check the bombs, Dylan didn't really press to kill the rest.

If Eric had not broken his nose, would he stop the library shooting? Who knows? Maybe not, maybe then everyone would die (except maybe for people they knew like John Savage or Amanda Stair).

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Instead of the Library   Instead of the Library Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Instead of the Library
Page 1 of 1