Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Geneva County Massacre

Go down 
+3
QuestionMark
Tommy QTR
D-FENS1993
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Geneva County Massacre  Empty
PostSubject: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 4:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have studied and researched mass shootings since 2012, and this (or Sandy Hook I cannot remember) was the first shooting I ever heard of, though it wasn't the one that get me into them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 10:05 am

2009 was the era beginning of the mass shootings.
Back to top Go down
D-FENS1993

D-FENS1993

Contribution Points : 59131
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Enesbrietchvonfrederitch wrote:
2009 was the era beginning of the mass shootings.
Not really, there were 109 notable mass shootings from 2000 to the end of 2008 and only 73 notable shootings from 2009 up until now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 1:48 pm

This Shooting is always forgotten about because of the rather low death toll, and because it lacks novelty.
Back to top Go down
D-FENS1993

D-FENS1993

Contribution Points : 59131
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Ziamber II wrote:
This Shooting is always forgotten about because of the rather low death toll, and because it lacks novelty.
How is ten people low?
But the reason is not that it lacks novelty, it's because the majority of those killed were family members of McLendon and no one really cares about Familicides. People only care about shootings when they feel as though they could have been one of the victims e.g. a customer in McDonalds, a cinema-goer or student at a school. The only shooter who committed a familicide and is somewhat notable would be George Banks.
Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

Contribution Points : 92217
Forum Reputation : 575

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 2:28 pm

It's a shame there isn't a lot of pictures of Michael McLendon or of the crime scene. Like a lot of Shootings it's become all forgotten.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 4:46 pm

D-FENS1993 wrote:
Ziamber II wrote:
How is ten people low?

Well nowadays you've gotta kill close to twenty people to even get noticed unless you're a terrorist. Even then a fair number of killing with high death tolls are forgotten or just aren't interesting enough for the public to keep focusing on after the fact. I think Las Vegas is a good example of this.

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 4:48 pm

And Devin Kelley killed double of Columbine but on his own, almost a year later, he is the forgotten man of Texas.
Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

Contribution Points : 92217
Forum Reputation : 575

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 4:56 pm

I think it's what the shooter leaves behind and if they are interesting enough is why they get remembered, take Elliot Rodger for example, he only killed 6 people yet he's still talked about today.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 5:29 pm

Tommy QTR wrote:
I think it's what the shooter leaves behind and if they are interesting enough is why they get remembered, take Elliot Rodger for example, he only killed 6 people yet he's still talked about today.

When I say remembered I mean by a vast majority of the population. As some random people if they know who Elliot Roger is and they're probably going to give you blank stares. Indeed the same could be said of almost every shooter who doesn't immediately have the media spotlight.

UncontinuedProcess

UncontinuedProcess

Contribution Points : 67332
Forum Reputation : 430

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 7:43 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
D-FENS1993 wrote:
Ziamber II wrote:
How is ten people low?

Even then a fair number of killing with high death tolls are forgotten or just aren't interesting enough for the public to keep focusing on after the fact. I think Las Vegas is a good example of this.

I disagree with using Las Vegas as an example, there was still plenty of discussion of it weeks after the fact, yeah coverage on these things isn't going to be exactly like it was with Columbine when these things were probably seen as more shocking back than it is now. To be honest I think Sutherland springs church is a better example, high death toll but despite being the deadliest mass shooting to occur in a church, there's nothing much to talk about while Las Vegas still has some good talking points like being the deadliest mass shooting as of now, different it was compared to most mass shootings etc, I dunno about you but people were still talking about Las Vegas even after Sutherland happened, it shadowed by Vegas' limelight, the exact same thing happened to Santa Fe shooting compared to Parkland but to school shootings instead of regular mass shootings.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Back to top Go down
true_crime

true_crime

Contribution Points : 58824
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 1:12 am

[quote="UncontinuedProcess"][quote="D-FENS1993"]
Ziamber II wrote:
How is ten people low?

Even then a fair number of killing with high death tolls are forgotten or just aren't interesting enough for the public to keep focusing on after the fact. I think Las Vegas is a good example of this.

I disagree with using Las Vegas as an example, there was still plenty of discussion of it weeks after the fact, yeah coverage on these things isn't going to be exactly like it was with Columbine when these things were probably seen as more shocking back than it is now. To be honest I think Sutherland springs church is a better example, high death toll but despite being the deadliest mass shooting to occur in a church, there's nothing much to talk about while Las Vegas still has some good talking points like being the deadliest mass shooting as of now, different it was compared to most mass shootings etc, I dunno about you but people were still talking about Las Vegas even after Sutherland happened, it shadowed by Vegas' limelight, the exact same thing happened to Santa Fe shooting compared to Parkland but to school shootings instead of regular mass shootings.

It seemed the Las Vegas massacre was fueled by national media conversations about hot topics like the legalization of bump stocks, as well as conspiracy theories, no motive, and Paddock wasn’t your typical perpetrator.

true_crime

Contribution Points : 58824
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 1:41 am

Wonder why the Washington, DC Navy Yard shooting doesn’t get analyzed very much. The guy was clearly Schitzo and protocols in place were not followed. What is interesting though is that Schizophrenia symptoms usually appear in males in their late teens to early 20’s. This guy was 34.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

DanielBryer

Contribution Points : 29828
Forum Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2022 3:31 pm

This shooting does have novelty. It is quite unique for a US shooting.
Back to top Go down
Rosie1756

Rosie1756

Contribution Points : 16021
Forum Reputation : 227

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2022 4:14 pm

DanielBryer wrote:

A Derrick Bird style shooting where the shooter drove between targets, .most other US shootings are single venue.

DanielBryer likes this post

Back to top Go down
DanielBryer

DanielBryer

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2022 4:16 pm

Rosie1756 wrote:
DanielBryer wrote:

A Derrick Bird style shooting where the shooter drove between targets, .most other US shootings are single venue.
Exactly. George Sodini and Elliot Rodger I guess.
Back to top Go down
Rosie1756

Rosie1756

Contribution Points : 16021
Forum Reputation : 227

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2022 4:23 pm

Columbine, Las Vagas , Colorado Movie rampage, MSD, San ysidro McDonalds, Luby's, Robb Elementary school, pulse nightclub, Virginia Tech all single venue shootings.

DanielBryer likes this post

Back to top Go down
DanielBryer

DanielBryer

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2022 4:26 pm

Rosie1756 wrote:
Columbine, Las Vagas , Colorado Movie rampage, MSD, San ysidro McDonalds, Luby's, Robb Elementary school, pulse nightclub, Virginia Tech all single venue shootings.
You spelt Las Vegas wrong.

vril dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Geneva County Massacre    Geneva County Massacre  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Geneva County Massacre
Page 1 of 1