Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina Empty
PostSubject: Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina   Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2018 7:15 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A police officer was killed and six of his comrades wounded when a man opened fire from inside his home on deputies who came to serve a search warrant, authorities said. The shooting continued for hours as the man barricaded himself inside with children, firing from a distance at officers who came to help.

Authorities had to use a bullet-proof vehicle Wednesday to recover the wounded, and the shooter finally released the children as he was taken into custody, authorities said.

"Officers went there unknowing the firepower the suspect had," Florence County Sheriff Kenney Boone said at a news conference. "Fire was being shot all over. The way this suspect was positioned, his view of fire was several hundred yards. So he had an advantage. The officers couldn't get to the ones who were down."

The violence stunned people already dealing with record flooding from Hurricane Florence. Both the sheriff and police chief both cried as they spoke to reporters after the standoff.

The slain officer, Terrence Carraway, 52, of Darlington, had just been honored for his 30 years of service with the Florence Police Department.

"I want you to pray for the family who lost the bravest police officer I have ever known," said his chief, Allen Heidler.

The suspect opened fire on three Florence County deputies who had come to serve a search warrant around 4 p.m. Wednesday, Boone said.

Then, he shot four Florence city police officers, one fatally, as officers from all over swarmed in to help, Heidler said.

Boone credited his department's military equipment for enabling them to pull the wounded from the field of fire.

"Thanks to our MRAP, armored personnel carrier, we made sure all the officers that were shot were protected and brought for medical atttention," he said.

Officials refused to say why they were serving a warrant. They did not name the suspect. They also did not identify the wounded officers or describe their conditions.

Condolences and outpourings of support rolled in.

President Donald Trump tweeted his "thoughts and prayers," saying "We are forever grateful for what our Law Enforcement Officers do 27/7/365."

My thoughts and prayers are with the Florence County Sheriff’s Office and the Florence Police Department tonight, in South Carolina. We are forever grateful for what our Law Enforcement Officers do 24/7/365.

"This is simply devastating news from Florence," Gov. Henry McMaster tweeted. "The selfless acts of bravery from the men and women in law enforcement is real, just like the power of prayer is real."

Thom Berry, spokesman for the State Law Enforcement Division, said the agency had sent crime scene technicians to assist officials in Florence but at this time had not been requested to help with any investigation.

Boone said investigators from Richland County would help. He did not say why he wasn't using state police like most law enforcement agencies do in officer shootings in South Carolina.

Authorities said the shootings happened in Vintage Place, an upscale neighborhood in the western part of the city.

Bobby Goin stood outside waiting for police to let him back to his home, where his wife and granddaughter could hear the gunshots.

"Surprised is probably an understatement," said Goin, who has lived in the neighborhood for 20 years. "The worst thing that goes on around here is that someone runs a stop sign and it gets posted on Facebook."

This is the second shooting of multiple police officers in South Carolina this year. In January, a 47-year-old former banker shot four officers in York County, killing one, after his wife called 911 to report he beat her. Christian McCall pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life without parole.

Florence, a city in South Carolina's northeastern corner home to roughly 37,000, sits at the convergence of Interstates 95 and 20. It's the largest city in the region known as the Pee Dee, where flooding from Hurricane Florence devastated areas to the east and south.

Not a lot of info on this yet. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina   Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2018 7:23 am

Seven law enforcement officers were shot, one fatally, in a confrontation Wednesday with a suspect who held children hostage in a South Carolina home, authorities said. The suspect was taken into custody after a two-hour standoff.

The gunfire erupted in an upscale neighborhood of Florence, a city of about 37,000 people still reeling from heavy flooding in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence’s strike on the Carolinas last month.

A Florence city spokesman, John Wukela, gave an updated total of officers felled by gunfire, speaking at an emotional news conference.

Major Mike Nunn, with the Florence County Sheriff’s Department, said officers were serving a warrant when the suspect began shooting, wounding three deputies. The deputies had to be removed using a bulletproof vehicle.

Then, four Florence police officers were shot while trying to respond to the initial gunfire, said Allen Heidler, the Florence police chief. It was one of Heidler’s officers who was killed during the confrontation.

“I want you to pray for the family who lost the bravest police officer I have ever known,” Heidler said, visibly overcome by emotion at the news conference.

Nunn said the suspect held off police for two hours – holding children hostage in his home – before eventually being taken into custody. He would not release the suspect’s name or condition and other details were not immediately disclosed.

Condolences and outpourings of support rolled in at news of the shooting.

“This is simply devastating news from Florence,” Gov. Henry McMaster tweeted. “The selfless acts of bravery from the men and women in law enforcement is real, just like the power of prayer is real.”

Thom Berry, spokesman for the State Law Enforcement Division, said the agency had sent crime scene technicians to assist officials in Florence but at this time had not been requested to help with any investigation.

Authorities said the shootings happened in Vintage Place, an upscale neighborhood in the western part of the city.

Florence, a city in South Carolina’s northeastern corner, is the largest city in the region known as the Pee Dee. The area is still recovering from heavy river flooding from Hurricane Florence.

FLORENCE, S.C. (AP) -- Seven South Carolina law enforcement officers were shot Wednesday, one fatally, in a confrontation with a man who held children hostage as he fired on the officers, officials said.

The suspect was taken into custody and the children weren't hurt after a two-hour standoff in an upscale neighborhood just outside of Florence, not far from areas that were devastated by flooding from Hurricane Florence, authorities said.

The man shot three Florence County deputies from inside a home as they came to serve a warrant around 4 p.m. Wednesday, Florence County Sheriff's Maj. Mike Nunn said.

The suspect then shot four Florence city police officers, one fatally, as officers from all around the area swarmed in to help, Florence Police Chief Allen Heidler said.

A bullet-proof vehicle had to be used to rescue the wounded officers as the man held children hostage inside for two hours, Nunn said.

Officials refused to say why they were serving a warrant on the man. They also did not name him or the wounded officers, nor did they give the conditions for the wounded.

City of Florence spokesman John Wukela identified the fallen officer to The Associated Press as Terrence Carraway. Carraway had just celebrated 30 years as a police officer in the city, Wukela said.

Both Heidler and Florence County Sheriff Kenney Boone had tears in their eyes as they spoke to reporters about two hours after the standoff ended.

"I want you to pray for the family who lost the bravest police officer I have ever known," Heidler said, visibly overcome by emotion at the news conference.

Condolences and outpourings of support rolled in at news of the shooting.

"This is simply devastating news from Florence," Gov. Henry McMaster tweeted. "The selfless acts of bravery from the men and women in law enforcement is real, just like the power of prayer is real."

Thom Berry, spokesman for the State Law Enforcement Division, said the agency had sent crime scene technicians to assist officials in Florence but were not immediately requested to help with any investigation.

Boone said investigators from Richland County would help investigate the shooting. He did not say why he wasn't using state police like most law enforcement agencies do in officer shootings in South Carolina.

Authorities said the shootings happened in Vintage Place, an upscale neighborhood west of the city. Neighbors said the community is full of brick homes and well-kept yards. Property records show several houses valued at more than $400,000.

Bobby Goin stood outside waiting for police to let him back to his home where his wife and granddaughter heard gunshots from the home back further in the neighborhood.

"Surprised is probably an understatement," Goin said of the shooting in the neighborhood where he has lived for 20 years. "The worst thing that goes on around here is that someone runs a stop sign and it gets posted on Facebook."

This is the second shooting of multiple police officers in South Carolina this year. In January, a 47-year-old former banker shot four officers in York County, killing one, after his wife called 911 to report he beat her. Christian McCall pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life without parole.

Florence, a city in South Carolina's northeastern corner home to roughly 37,000, sits at the convergence of Interstates 95 and 20. It's the largest city in the region known as the Pee Dee, where flooding from Hurricane Florence devastated areas to the east and south.

I wonder what the warrant was for? scratch
Back to top Go down
School Massacre Archives

School Massacre Archives

Contribution Points : 66644
Forum Reputation : 248

PostSubject: Re: Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina   Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2018 10:27 am

Damn. Rest in piece Terrence Carraway.

PostSubject: Re: Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina   Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2018 11:00 am

Florence, SC (WLTX, AP) - The man accused of killing a South Carolina officer and wounding six others has been identified.

Multiple media outlets state Chief Deputy Glenn Kirby told reporters the suspect is 74-year-old Frederick Hopkins. Hopkins is currently still at the hospital, and reportedly has a head injury and isn't able to speak to officers. WPDE reports Hopkins fell at the scene.

The Associated Press reports Hopkins is a disbarred lawyer who has been charged several times in recent years, starting with a 2014 count of disorderly conduct. According to public court records, Hopkins' charges include two in 2015 and 2017 for "running at large," an offense related to not restraining one's animals.

Public records show he's the husband of Florence divorce attorney Cheryl Turner-Hopkins. South Carolina Bar records show Frederick Hopkins used to be a lawyer but has been disbarred.

Kirby told reporters officers were trying to serve a warrant involving an accusation that a 27-year-old person at the home sexually assaulted a foster child in the home.

The officers were fired upon Wednesday afternoon. Three Florence County deputies and four Florence City Police officers were wounded.

Florence County Coroner Keith von Lutchken said one of the officers, a member of the Florence City Police Department had died. Lutchken identified the officer as 52-year-old Terrence Carraway, a veteran of the agency who'd just celebrated 30-years with the force.

"This has been a horrendous evening," said Florence Police Chief Allen Heidler. "Today marks a horrible day, I lost a good friend of mine, my friend for 30 years. Pray for the bravest police officer I know."

The extent of the other officers' injuries are not yet known.

The shooting took place off Hoffmeyer Road in the Vintage Place subdivision. Florence County deputies said they had gone to a home there to serve the search warrant and Hopkins opened fire, initially wounding three officers. Hopkins, officers said.

Officers had to use a bullet resistant vehicle to recover those who'd been hurt. There were children inside the home, but officers said all of them were okay.

As it was happening, the Florence County Emergency Management Division described the situation as an "active shooter incident." At 6 p.m., about two hours after the incident began, the suspect surrendered to deputies after talking to a negotiator. He was taken to the hospital for treatment.

"Kirby told reporters officers were trying to serve a warrant involving an accusation that a 27-year-old person at the home sexually assaulted a foster child in the home."

"Multiple media outlets state Chief Deputy Glenn Kirby told reporters the suspect is 74-year-old Frederick Hopkins. Hopkins is currently still at the hospital, and reportedly has a head injury and isn't able to speak to officers. WPDE reports Hopkins fell at the scene."

Man killed a cop, and wounded 6 more. Evil or Very Mad But I'm sure his fall was completely accidental though! Haha
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina   Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2018 6:08 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
The gunfire erupted in an upscale neighborhood of Florence, a city of about 37,000 people still reeling from heavy flooding in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence’s strike on the Carolinas last month.

This has nothing to do with the shooting but I think it's amusing that the town's called Florence and then got hit with a Hurricane called Florence.

PostSubject: Re: Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina   Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2018 6:25 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

This has nothing to do with the shooting but I think it's amusing that the town's called Florence and then got hit with a Hurricane called Florence.

True! That is freaky AF! Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina   Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2018 9:48 am

Highlights from the very long article.

Fred Hopkins, the disbarred lawyer husband of a well-known family and divorce attorney in South Carolina, was identified as the man accused of shooting seven law enforcement officers in Florence, South Carolina, killing Terrence Carraway, a beloved officer and family man who valiantly served his community for decades.

Authorities say Hopkins, a Vietnam veteran, sprayed gunfire at the law enforcement officers from two agencies, killing Carraway and wounding the six others, from a perch inside his home near Florence, South Carolina on October 3, 2018. He was taken into custody after a standoff, but not before seven officers lay wounded.

Fred Hopkins, who is also known as Frederick Hopkins, is 74-years-old. He was taken to the hospital because he fell at the scene and has not been able to speak with police.

1. Fred Hopkins Is a Vietnam Vet & Disbarred Lawyer Who Claimed He Suffered From Agent Orange[/b]

In rambling posts on Facebook, Fred Hopkins indicated that he was a Vietnam veteran who was a cancer survivor, an ailment he attributed to Agent Orange exposure. A 2000 court document in an old child support case indicated that he was wounded in Vietnam.

“Father was injured in the Vietnam war; his sole source of income is his disability check of $1127.00 per month,” the documents say, referring to Fred Hopkins.

Fred Hopkins was a disbarred lawyer with a previous disorderly conduct case, according to WPDE. He also had previous cases for animals “running at large.”

Records from the South Carolina Bar Association indicated that Frederick Hopkins was disbarred in 1984. His name was given as Frederick T. Hopkins, Jr. According to Greenville News, Hopkins lost his law license “for wrongfully collecting $18,000 in attorney fees” and went to jail but avoided serving the full six months when he gave up his law license and paid the money back.

Hopkins claimed in that post that he lost 50 comrades in Vietnam, writing, “I miss you all very much and especially those who died 6 May 1970 on the slopes of FSB Henderson, RVN. Time magazine in the May 1970 issue it was the bloodiest firebase attack in the Army’s history. I lost more than 50 of the best brothers I ever knew my short life. They deserved better.”

He wrote about Agent Orange exposure: “Had the biggest ‘gut check’ of my life yesterday. I underwent 8.5 hours od chemo for ‘mantle cell lymphoma’ because I was exposed to heavy doses of ‘Agent Orange’ while performing combat duties with the 101st Airborne Division in Viet Nam in 1969-1970. I have been fighting this disease for five years on my own and the VA finally found out why I had pain and swollen nodules in my neck. Next chemo on June 12th. Feeling well so far, but was allergic to several meds they gave me. No pain, no gain! My eight kids are all in the house and one on the way — due about August 8th, plus or minus ten days. Updates to follow.”

Hopkins sometimes wrote about weaponry. “This is my rifle…….. this one is my gun. This one was built just for me and this one was for fun!” he wrote in one Facebook post.

In another post, he wrote, “The day after my 70th birthday, I took my 12 year old son to my favorite rifle range in Lexington County SC for the monthly service rifle match. It showered all day and I fired my M-14 rifle by Federal Ordnance in 7.62mm NATO. The rifle is set up exactly like one I used in Viet Nam in 69-70. I scored 338-0X’s and had a blast! I have been shooting competitively since 1984 and lovin’ it. I just love the smell of gunpowder in the mornin’s. The guys at the range sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to me — gosh, it doesn’t get any better.”

According to Facebook, one of Fred Hopkins’ sons is a police officer in South Carolina. His profile picture shows him wearing a police uniform. Another son of Fred Hopkins posted a crying emoji as his Facebook profile picture, and shared a graphic that reads, “Light up Facebook with this blue candle for all of our fallen officers.” In 2016, after the shooting of multiple Dallas police officers, that son wrote on Facebook, “I have made a tribute video if anyone would care to see it….please feel free to visit my page and view it. Having been in law enforcement now for 11 years thought it was the least I could do to honor all of the fallen. If you like the video please feel free to share it.”

Authorities said gunfire was being shot “all over.” They said officers saw fellow officers down. The way the suspect was positioned, his view of fire was several hundred yards. “So he had an advantage. The officers couldn’t get to the ones who were down.”

Initial reports had said that five officers were shot. However, later reports said as many as seven officers (four City of Florence and three Florence County sheriff’s deputies), and a 20-year-old man, were shot.

Authorities said gunfire was being shot “all over.” They said officers saw fellow officers down. The way the suspect was positioned, his view of fire was several hundred yards. “So he had an advantage. The officers couldn’t get to the ones who were down.”

Initial reports had said that five officers were shot. However, later reports said as many as seven officers (four City of Florence and three Florence County sheriff’s deputies), and a 20-year-old man, were shot.

One officer, Carraway, died in the shooting. Two of the other officers’ conditions were described as “touch and go,” according to WPDE-TV.

Representative Terry Alexander, who represents parts of Florence, released the following statement to WPDE: “It’s just a very sad situation. We have got to do something about these guns. We should also remember to be calm and let the process take place. Let’s see what our magnificent law enforcement officers come up with to make sure that our people are safe, especially our children. I am in prayer for all six families who are hurting right now, including that of the shooter.”

So he was a Vietnam Vet, that kinda explains how he was capable of dropping the 7 police officers. BUT he also had at least two sons that are police officers. This story is just strange.

I also can't seem to find out who the 27 year old is that was being served the warrant. I wonder if it was one of his older sons?  scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina   Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Officer killed, 6 other officers wounded in South Carolina
Page 1 of 1