Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rik75

Contribution Points : 97443
Forum Reputation : 50

Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland Empty
PostSubject: Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland   Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 4:28 pm

This is the Vilnius School Massacre that occurred on 6 May 1925 at Joachim Lelewel high school in Poland.                      At about 11am during the final exams, at least two eighth grade students attacked the board of examiners with revolvers and hand grenades. They killed 1 teacher ,2 students and then committed suicide!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland   Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 11:12 pm

Hi, I just wanted to correct your post:
Vilnius is in Lithuana not Poland. Joachim Lelewel, the man the school is named after, was Polish though but lived in Vilnius, hence it got named after him.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 98138
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland   Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 5:22 am

Well you are both right in a way.
Vilnius is today in Lithuania. But before ww2 it was in Poland and know unde rthe polish name of Wilno.

So back in 1925 it was definitlaly Poland. I'm not going to go into the whole historical debate ion wether Wilno is Polish or Lithuanian, as it has a complex history. Back in the 1920s the majority of the population was IIRc polish speaking catholics, but lithuanian-speaking catholics and various orthodox groups (including Belorussains) were a visible minority living in the city. There were also a jewish minority.

Its hard to be entirely sure, as the barriers between nationalities in the region were often somewhat fluid, but the surname of one of the perpetrators (Ławrynowicz) is imho definitally Belorussian. The other perp's surname (Obrąbalski) can be either polish or belorussian. One thing is sure, these are certainly neither jewish nor lithuanian surnames.

My best bet is that both shooters were Belorussians by ethnicity.

Check this thread, its been discussed in more lenght there:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland   Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2015 5:44 pm

Sabratha wrote:
So back in 1925 it was definitlaly Poland. I'm not going to go into the whole historical debate ion wether Wilno is Polish or Lithuanian, as it has a complex history.

We are writing on this board today, which is 2015 and not 1925, so from today's perspective and the perspective of the readers who live in the now, it is Lithuania and not Poland. So the origin doesn't really matter, I think, as we are talking city... Belorussians, Polish and Jews are everywhere over here, not only in that town and country... What I mean is that it is confusing for certain readers and that he may should've noted that more detailed to prevent confusion. Something like "back then Poland today Lithuania" would have been perfect. Because it is misleading to write such a generalizing remark "Only in Poland" in the headline.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 98138
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland   Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 4:14 am

klebomb wrote:
Sabratha wrote:
So back in 1925 it was definitlaly Poland. I'm not going to go into the whole historical debate ion wether Wilno is Polish or Lithuanian, as it has a complex history.

We are writing on this board today, which is 2015 and not 1925, so from today's perspective and the perspective of the readers who live in the now, it is Lithuania and not Poland. So the origin doesn't really matter, I think, as we are talking city... Belorussians, Polish and Jews are everywhere over here, not only in that town and country... What I mean is that it is confusing for certain readers and that he may should've noted that more detailed to prevent confusion. Something like "back then Poland today Lithuania" would have been perfect. Because it is misleading to write such a generalizing remark "Only in Poland" in the headline.

Sure, no poroblem. I just wanted to point this out, as when you say "Lithuania" people today will think of a small coutry that is inhabited mostly by Lithuanians. Back in the 1920s things were different, the city in question was full of people from numerous ethnic groups and different religions. Poles were the largest group and the classes in said school were held in the polish language.

Just wanted to stress how different the place was then from what it is now.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland   Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bullets and grenades during school exams?! Only in Poland
Page 1 of 1