Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage Empty
PostSubject: California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage   California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2018 9:59 pm

Ian David Long was a “loner” who served five years in the US Marine Corps as a machine gunner — with a tour in Afghanistan — and may have been suffering from posttraumatic stress disorder, officials and his former roommate said Thursday.

Ventura County Sheriff’s deputies in April checked in with the troubled 28-year-old, who was living at his mother’s home in Newbury Park, Calif., and found him acting “somewhat irate, acting a little irrationally,” Sheriff Geoff Dean said at a press conference.

The heavily tattooed vet was evaluated by mental health professionals — but they concluded he didn’t need to be placed in a temporary psychiatric hold.

“I understand that was part of the discussion, they felt he might be suffering from PTSD based on the fact that he was a veteran,” Dean said. The sheriff told reporters a motive in the Thousand Oaks mass shooting has not yet been determined. “Obviously, he had something going on in his head that would cause him to do something like this,” said Dean. “So, he obviously had some sort of issues.”

Cops were also called to the home earlier this year by a neighbor who complained of loud noises coming from inside. “It sounded like he was tearing down the walls of the house,” Tom Hanson told local network KTLA. “It would start and then it would stop . . . and then it would get really loud and I hear this shouting. I thought, ‘Man, what’s going on out here?’ . . . I mean, it’s a quiet neighborhood.”

Hanson said Long had been living at his mom’s house with their three dogs for the past six to eight years and that neighbors “knew he had issues.” Another neighbor, Richard Berge, who is a friend of Long’s mother, Colleen Long, said she was worried about her son.

“She was . . . kind of beside herself, she didn’t know what to do because he wouldn’t get help,” Berge told CNN.

Dean said investigators were waiting on a search warrant to scour the Newbury Park home, which is located about five miles from Borderline Bar & Grill — the popular Thousand Oaks bar where Long gunned down 12 people. A cousin of the gunman, AJ Schramm, said Colleen Long was recently “venting” at a family wedding about problems she was having with her son, CBS News reported. There were rumors among the family that Long suffered from PTSD but Schramm said he didn’t see him exhibit any unusual behavior. Long’s father died from cancer early in his life, the cousin said.

Long had no criminal record but some minor traffic infractions, including an arrest for speeding in Ventura County in 2013, according to NBC News. He was the victim of a battery at a different bar in Thousand Oaks in 2015, Dean said.

As a corporal in the Marines from 2008 to 2013, Long racked up numerous awards and commendations, including a Combat Action Ribbon and Marines Corps Good Conduct Medal. He handled heavy machine guns in direct combat and did a stint in Afghanistan for seven months between 2010 and 2011. He last served in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

“The Marine Corps extends its deepest condolences to the families of the victims in this senseless tragedy,” the Marines said in a statement.

Long’s former roommate, Blake Winnett, told The Post that he knew Long did two or three tours but that he was mum on his service. The two lived together twice in 2012 and 2014 in Simi Valley and Reseda, a neighborhood in Los Angeles.

“He was kind of weird. He always locked himself in his room, he was always by himself,” said Winnett. “I didn’t really know him very well.”

Winnett, 35, said he never witnessed Long get violent. But he did have some odd habits.

“He would go to the gym and then he would, I guess, try to learn dance moves or something,” he recalled. “He would close the garage and be playing music and dancing in there, like sweating. I . . . would be like, ‘What are you doing?’ ”

He and Long had hung out at Borderline before. Long was a student at California State University Northridge from 2013 to 2016 and was majoring in athletic training, school officials said. But he never graduated, because he couldn’t handle the responsibilities.

“I am graduating with a B.S. in Athletic Training in two months. I found out a little too late that just wasn’t the job for me,” he wrote on a special forces forum called Shadowspear in March 2017, CNN reported.Maybe the ego got the better of me but it took only one time for a 19 year old D-2 athlete to talk down to me and tell me how to do my job that I realized this wasn’t the career I wanted to head.”
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Most of the Borderline shooting victims died from multiple gunshot wounds:

The Ventura County Medical Examiner has released the cause and manner of death for the 12 people whose lives were lost in the Borderline Bar and Grill shooting in Thousands Oaks, California.It was country college night at Borderline on November 7 when the shooting broke out late in the evening. The bar was packed with patrons who were dancing, playing pool and watching the Lakers game. The victims included a veteran sheriff's deputy, a survivor of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas and a college student.

Ten died from multiple gunshot wounds, a press release from the medical examiner's office said. Two people were killed by single gunshot wounds.
Justin Meek was killed by a gunshot wound to the thorax and Cody Gifford-Coffman was shot in the head.

The manner of death was homicide for all 12 victims. Ian David Long's manner of death was suicide caused by a gunshot wound to the head. He and all his victims were all killed with a Glock 21 .45 caliber pistol with a extended magazine. Two will be laid to rest this week.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120753
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage   California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2018 12:52 am

Mh_12rm_66 wrote:

Winnett, 35, said he never witnessed Long get violent. But he did have some odd habits.

“He would go to the gym and then he would, I guess, try to learn dance moves or something,” he recalled. “He would close the garage and be playing music and dancing in there, like sweating. I . . . would be like, ‘What are you doing?’ ”

I'm not the only one who gets annoyed when people take slightly unusual behavior - or even behavior that isn't unusual at all - and try to make it into something a lot more significant than it actually is, right?

Tommy QTR

Contribution Points : 92317
Forum Reputation : 575

PostSubject: Re: California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage   California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2018 6:21 am

QuestionMark wrote:
Mh_12rm_66 wrote:

I'm not the only one who gets annoyed when people take slightly unusual behavior - or even behavior that isn't unusual at all - and try to make it into something a lot more significant than it actually is, right?
I find it annoying as well, I mean him dancing in the garage doesn't suggest he was planning anything. I also hate how people use the word "weird", like what's supposed to be normal?

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage   California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2018 11:48 pm

He was probably playing DDR like Adam Lanza in order to train himself to kill.
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 86203
Forum Reputation : 340

PostSubject: Re: California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage   California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 am

NSAhoneypot wrote:
He was probably playing DDR like Adam Lanza in order to train himself to kill.
We need to ban tactical assault DDR and all DDR machines with more than 30 explosive song ammunition.
Back to top Go down
AlteRoad

AlteRoad

Contribution Points : 65250
Forum Reputation : 43

PostSubject: Re: California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage   California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2018 11:33 am

QuestionMark wrote:
Mh_12rm_66 wrote:

Nope. People doing idiosyncratic, albeit harmless things such as dancing to music in their garage is hardly worth reporting on. I mean, if he was ballroom dancing with a RealDoll, that's a totally different matter, but it's not as if Zumba is going to produce the next generation of mass shooters.
Back to top Go down
Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst
Former Top 10 Contributor

Carnifex879

Contribution Points : 68622
Forum Reputation : 391
Location : Gretchen Whitler's People's Republic of "The Mitten"

PostSubject: Re: California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage   California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Mh_12rm_66 wrote:

I agree. None of these habits have anything to do with this shooting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage   California shooter Ian David Long was ‘weird’ loner, danced in garage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1