Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mass Shooting in California

Go down 
+18
Sane One
lockerouch
School Massacre Archives
Tommy QTR
Screamingophelia
Unknown
QuestionMark
W.A.R.
AlteRoad
DanielGardner
Stoned Slacker
Pixie13
Smiggles94
Vallutaja
Oldmare
Jenn
cc99
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Mass Shooting in California Empty
PostSubject: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 3:34 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Contribution Points : 60486
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 4:28 am

Back to top Go down
cc99

cc99

Contribution Points : 66554

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 6:08 am

13 dead
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 6:36 am

An Elliot Rodger copycat or somehow a Pekka Auvinen copycat (considering the date of it was 7 November)?
This is all just speculation obviously.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 7:49 am

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — A gunman opened fire on a crowd at a country dance bar holding a weekly “college night” in Southern California, killing 12 people and sending hundreds fleeing in terror including some who used barstools to break windows and escape, authorities said Thursday. The gunman was later found dead at the scene.

The dead from the shooting Wednesday night also included 11 people inside the bar and a sheriff's sergeant who was the first officer inside the door, Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said.

"It's a horrific scene in there," Dean told a news conference in the parking lot of the Borderline Bar & Grill. "There's blood everywhere."

The massacre was the latest mass shooting in the United States and came less than two weeks after a gunman killed 11 people at a synagogue in Pittsburgh.

The gunman at the country dance bar was tall and wearing all black with a hood over his head and his face partly covered, witnesses told TV stations at the scene. He first fired on a person working the door, then appeared to open fire at random at the people inside, they said.

Many more people had more minor injuries, including some that came from their attempt to flee, Dean said.

Sheriff's Sgt. Ron Helus and a passing highway patrolman were responding to several 911 calls when they arrived at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks at about 11:20 p.m., the sheriff said. They heard gunfire and went inside.

Helus was immediately hit with multiple gunshots, Dean said. The highway patrolman cleared the perimeter and pulled Helus out, and then waited as a SWAT team and scores more officers arrived. Helus died early Thursday at a hospital.

By the time they entered the bar again the gunfire had stopped. They found 12 people dead inside, including the gunman.

It's not yet clear how the gunman died, and authorities do not yet know his name or have any idea of a motive, Dean said.

It was college night and country two-step lessons were being offered Wednesday at the Borderline, according to its website.

The bar, which includes a large dance hall with a stage and a pool room along with several smaller areas for eating and drinking, is a popular hangout for students from nearby California Lutheran University. It's also close to several other universities including California State University Channel Islands in Camarillo, Pepperdine University in Malibu and Moorpark College in Moorpark.

When the gunman entered, people screamed and fled to all corners of the bar, while a few people threw barstools through the windows and helped dozens to escape, witnesses said.

Tayler Whitler, 19, said she was on the dance floor with her friends nearby when she saw the gunman shooting and heard screams to "get down."

"It was really, really, really shocking," Whitler told KABC-TV as she stood with her father in the Borderline parking lot. "It looked like he knew what he was doing."

Sarah Rose DeSon told ABC's "Good Morning America" that she saw the shooter draw his gun.

"I dropped to the floor," she said. "A friend yelled 'Everybody down!' We were hiding behind tables trying to keep ourselves covered."

Shootings of any kind are very rare in Thousand Oaks, a city of about 130,000 people about 40 miles west of Los Angeles, just across the county line.

Helus was a 29-year veteran of the force with a wife and son and planned to retire in the coming year, said the sheriff, who choked back tears several times as he talked about the sergeant who was also his longtime friend.

“Ron was a hardworking, dedicated sheriff’s sergeant who was totally committed,” Dean said, “and tonight, as I told his wife, he died a hero because he went in to save lives.”

Has anyone came across the shooters identity yet? scratch
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 121131
Forum Reputation : 1024

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 7:59 am

Another one? Damn. This is just getting ridiculous now. As someone already said, I too wonder if this was an Elliot Rodger type of shooting?

Nothing about who the shooter was yet.

Back to top Go down
Oldmare

Oldmare

Contribution Points : 61649

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 am

Just announced in

Last edited by Oldmare on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Oldmare

Oldmare

Contribution Points : 61649

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 8:52 am

Here is a link confirming a trenchcoat was worn. Cannot copy the article sorry.
Back to top Go down
Vallutaja

Contribution Points : 53155

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 8:57 am

You muricans really need to overlook your gun laws. When even someone diagnosed as autist can easily get a gun and go on a shooting spree, you gotta expect things like this happen over and over.
Back to top Go down
Smiggles94

Smiggles94

Contribution Points : 72964
Forum Reputation : 28

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 9:22 am

Here for info lol
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

Contribution Points : 59001
Forum Reputation : 270

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 9:24 am

I was watching an eyewitness account which indicates that the gunman targeted staff first and then started shooting into the crowd. I wonder if he was a disgruntled patron.
Back to top Go down
Stoned Slacker

Stoned Slacker

Contribution Points : 60429
Forum Reputation : 15

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 9:31 am

wew
Back to top Go down
DanielGardner

DanielGardner

Contribution Points : 58650
Forum Reputation : 83

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 9:40 am

Things we know:

-he was 29 years old

-he drove his mothers car to the scene

-he used a semi automatic pistol that witnesses said had a laser sight

-he’s dead most likely from suicide
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 9:43 am

Suspect has been identified as David Ian Long.
Back to top Go down
AlteRoad

AlteRoad

Contribution Points : 67150
Forum Reputation : 43

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 9:47 am

First the yoga pants killer and now this. Looks like it's the season of the incel.
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 am

It's the new convenient excuse of the mass-shooter.
Back to top Go down
DanielGardner

DanielGardner

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 9:53 am

Full name: David Ian Long. Neighbors say he went by his middle name.
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 am

Reports say he used smoke bombs. Are they something you can just go into a shop and buy in the USA?
Back to top Go down
Stoned Slacker

Stoned Slacker

Contribution Points : 60429
Forum Reputation : 15

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am

"laser sight" lol
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:10 am

Apparently the gunman was a former Marine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 am

Pixie13 wrote:

Fucking HELL! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:19 am

Suffering from PTSD according to the neighbours. First picture of him I've seen.
Back to top Go down
DanielGardner

DanielGardner

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:20 am

Apparently he had a lot of tattoos
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:22 am

Why is the tattoo thing such a big deal? Is it a cultural thing? I have seen it mentioned loads in articles but it seems a bit irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
W.A.R.

Contribution Points : 72598
Forum Reputation : 345

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:28 am

Pixie13 wrote:

PTSD?
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 122653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:34 am

I see he shares the same musical tastes (or rather distastes) as Stephen Paddock. 

More seriously though, God damn it has been non-stop with shootings lately, minor and major. I turned on the news but they seem to be prioritizing coverage of political drama instead of the killings because I haven't heard them give out a name or too many details.

QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:35 am

Pixie13 wrote:

Suffering from PTSD according to the neighbours. First picture of him I've seen.

So he saw active duty in a combat zone? That's somewhat unusual for most mass killers.

Pixie13

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:42 am

Unless the tattoos were portraits of Eric and Dylan, I find it weird how much they are mentioned. Tattoos are pretty common in the UK, is it the same in the US?

Apparently some of the people in the bar has survived the Las Vegas shooting. How messed up is that?!
Back to top Go down
W.A.R.

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:44 am

He wore a trench coat according to that metro article.

Part of his disguise apparently. Did he plan to escape?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:46 am

Pixie13 wrote:
Unless the tattoos were portraits of Eric and Dylan, I find it weird how much they are mentioned. Tattoos are pretty common in the UK, is it the same in the US?

Apparently some of the people in the bar has survived the Las Vegas shooting. How messed up is that?!

Yes tattoos, piercings, other types of body modification are quite normal and common here. Smile
Back to top Go down
W.A.R.

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:49 am

I think news outlets are just scrambling for info and over presenting small things like him being tatted because thats all they have.

There is no significance to them unless they have some sort of ideologue meaning such as a swastika.

Last edited by W.A.R. on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:51 am

W.A.R. wrote:
I think news outlets are just scrambling for info and presenting small things like him be tatted because thats all they have.

Probably.
Back to top Go down
Unknown

Contribution Points : 64151

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 10:51 am

If he really was a marine with PTSD, it might have been a factor for this shooting, but I do not believe it is the sole reason for it. There are several mass shooters with this condition.

Please note that this is only speculation. It is too early to draw a conclusion about the motive. Hopefully, more information will be released and erroneous info corrected.

Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 195548
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 am

This is 20 minutes from where I used to live Sad

Contribution Points : 94242
Forum Reputation : 600

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 11:36 am

The police have confirmed he used a Glock 21 .45 Calibre Handgun and had an illegal extended magazine.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
Unknown

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 11:44 am

I wonder if there were armed civilians in the club except for the shooter and perhaps the security guard?

Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 11:46 am

Found a pic of him:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 11:49 am

Tommy QTR wrote:
Found a pic of him:

Any luck on his service records yet? scratch
Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:
Found a pic of him:

Any luck on his service records yet? scratch
Not yet, although I have just started looking.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 11:56 am

I've now seen [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is trending on twitter, funnily enough this guy used illegal high capacity magazines and probably got his gun illegally as well, I don't see how stricter laws are going to do anything.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 11:57 am

According to TMZ:

Long served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 2008-13 and was deployed to Afghanistan from 2010-2011, his last duty assignment was in Hawaii. His military occupational specialty was machine gunner.
Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 12:00 pm

I've also heard the people inside the club were Las Vegas survivors, I wonder if that's a coincidence?

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 12:03 pm

Tommy QTR wrote:
The police have confirmed he used a Glock 21 .45 Calibre Handgun and had an illegal extended magazine.

Wonder where he bought the mags for it. Custom made, maybe?

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 12:03 pm

Pixie13 wrote:
According to TMZ:

Long served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 2008-13 and was deployed to Afghanistan from 2010-2011, his last duty assignment was in Hawaii. His military occupational specialty was machine gunner.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   Thank you! Smile
Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 12:07 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

Wonder where he bought the mags for it. Custom made, maybe?
Maybe he travelled outside of California to buy them?

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
Unknown

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 12:11 pm

He could also have ordered them online from a private seller.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 12:24 pm

California seems to have tighter gun laws than states like Nevada and Texas, but still this happend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Devil wrote:
He could also have ordered them online from a private seller.

With his military background that is a real possibility, they just have somewhat better contacts and info in that regard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Mass Shootings seem to repeat themselves on certain days.

November 5th Fort Hood 2009 - Sutherland Springs 2017
February 14th Northern Illinois University 2008 - MSD High School 2018
October 1st Umpqua College 2015 - Las Vegas 2017
November 7th Jokela High School, Finland 2007 - Thousand Oaks 2018
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 12:47 pm

A couple of them are significant dates:
5th of November = Guy Fawkes night
14th February = Valentine's Day

However, there are so many mass shootings now, maybe they are just double-ups?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mass Shooting in California   Mass Shooting in California Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mass Shooting in California
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next