Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting? Empty
PostSubject: Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting?   Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Would there ever be a mass shooting where, the (lone wolf, non-terrorist) shooter manages to kill so many people, there would never be a mass shooting that surpasses the number of deaths? If so, what do you think this number is?

I think it's nearly 100.
Back to top Go down
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Contribution Points : 70966
Forum Reputation : 95

PostSubject: Re: Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting?   Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2018 8:29 pm

Well Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people with his bomb and I don´t consider that a terrorist attack just because a bomb was used.

But for a mass shooting I too think around 100 people would be a good guess.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting?   Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2018 10:27 pm

I'd say like 125 is max and that'd require an astronomical amount of skill, luck, and planning. For example, Stephen Paddock managed to shoot 481 people but he had a really low ratio of killed to injured (59:481). Conceivably someone could pull something off on a similar scale or even half that scale (say ~250 shot) but achieve a higher ratio (through skill among a bunch of other factors) which could lead many more than 59 people getting killed. Anders Brevik for example killed more than Paddock despite hitting less people overall. Again of course this many (~125) people dying from one person using only firearms would still be fairly unlikely but I could see it being possible.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting?   Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2018 11:11 pm

Are we only measuring single shooters by themselves? In that case I'm going to go for a highly specific 93. Why, you ask? Because it seems high enough to be nearly impossible to achieve but isn't a vague number like "about 100". 

I just really hope I don't end up eating crow when some nutcase racks up a kill count of 94.

PostSubject: Re: Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting?   Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2018 1:34 am

I think someone, probably in the United States, is going to beat Brievik's score and become world Shooting champion, remember he shot dead 69 and killed 8 with his bomb, so you would only need to shoot dead 70 to get the high score for Shooting.

Brievik and McVeigh were both terrorists as they had a political cause.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting?   Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2018 8:37 pm

probably several hundred

Keep in mind that a person doesn't even have to be on the ground to conduct a mass shooting.
Back to top Go down
James411

Contribution Points : 85289
Forum Reputation : 89

PostSubject: Re: Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting?   Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting? Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:27 pm

I honestly think it really depends. I think Breivik could have probably shot a lot more people. I mean there was like I think hundred of people trapped in that island yet he got 69 of them. I think Breivik could have got like at least 100.

My number would be at least 100. The main thing that stops the shooter is usually the police. Paddock probably could have gotten more if he continued shooting but the swat team arrived.
Back to top Go down
James411

Contribution Points : 85289
Forum Reputation : 89

PostSubject: Re: Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting?   Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting? Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:28 pm

I am not sure if this count but if  some terrorist stole a most military vehicle with machine guns would that count as mass shooting??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting?   Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would the most possible number of deaths ever be reached in a shooting?
Page 1 of 1