Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

FOIA requests

Go down 
+18
Mr Bubbless
lognifiiskurk
Koltin
noobjeff19
Carnifex879
TheGoodGuy
Spanky
Primate Murder
James411
sympathyforEandD
QuestionMark
thedarkmessiah
School Massacre Archives
Russianman
alphawhiskey86
Unknown
InsaneIntruder
Clogerhead
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 8:09 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone had any experience with submitting FOIA requests ? If so how did it go. I've always considered submitting one for certain cases (ostensibly for lower profile ones since iirc your way less likely to get it approved if it's a famous one). I did see that some Cho fan-girl tried to once for the VT Tech shooting but got denied probably due to the scale and notoriety of the case and the fact that she didn't have a "legit" reason since you usually gotta be either a family member or author or researcher or something like that. But I have heard of amateur researchers having them granted in the past
Back to top Go down
Clogerhead

Clogerhead

Contribution Points : 49918
Forum Reputation : 0

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2019 9:44 pm

I've never tried, but I've been researching the laws about this stuff and I've wanted to submit some for more information on Randy Stair.
I think it would be wise to start with a copy of his Death Certificate, which could be requested from the Pennsylvania Department of Health.
With that, I would then request autopsy information from the Wyoming County Coroner's office.
Those first two would likely yield actual results, but I'd also try to send a request to the Tunkhannock Township Police Department and ask for a copy of the supermarket's surveillance footage, which I know for a fact they have.
The Pennsylvania Right to Know Law states that we can't request anything that "would be reasonably likely to result in a substantial and demonstrable risk of physical harm to or the personal security of an individual." and since there is one survivor of the shooting, they would probably have to omit the part of the footage that shows Randy sparing Newell.
I was also going to see about getting and recordings from possible police interviews with members of the Stair family, but under Act 22 it says "a request for an audio or video recording in the possession of a law enforcement agency must be made within 60 days of the date the recording was made." so we'll probably never get our hands on things like that.

If I had the money (these things cost money because they have to dig through their files and make copies of stuff) I would definitely file some requests.

"little teen pirn" -Nikolas Cruz

Howiedoin34 likes this post

Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 85078
Forum Reputation : 340

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2019 9:52 am

Clogerhead wrote:
I've never tried, but I've been researching the laws about this stuff and I've wanted to submit some for more information on Randy Stair.
I think it would be wise to start with a copy of his Death Certificate, which could be requested from the Pennsylvania Department of Health.
With that, I would then request autopsy information from the Wyoming County Coroner's office.
Those first two would likely yield actual results, but I'd also try to send a request to the Tunkhannock Township Police Department and ask for a copy of the supermarket's surveillance footage, which I know for a fact they have.
The Pennsylvania Right to Know Law states that we can't request anything that "would be reasonably likely to result in a substantial and demonstrable risk of physical harm to or the personal security of an individual." and since there is one survivor of the shooting, they would probably have to omit the part of the footage that shows Randy sparing Newell.
I was also going to see about getting and recordings from possible police interviews with members of the Stair family, but under Act 22 it says "a request for an audio or video recording in the possession of a law enforcement agency must be made within 60 days of the date the recording was made." so we'll probably never get our hands on things like that.

If I had the money (these things cost money because they have to dig through their files and make copies of stuff) I would definitely file some requests.
I considered asking for the CCTV footage of Stair and the possible audio recording of the shooting (since I'm sure someone here mentioned that he said he was going to have his phone recording the shooting in his pocket).
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2019 9:55 am

Freedom of Information Requests are probably the best way we have to get good info without relying on the media. I attempted to get CCTV of the Aztec HS Shooting, which they granted but I have to pay $40, which I haven't yet, I have no problem doing it I just need to work out a method of payment since we're working with 2 different currencies.
I also have a friend that's filed at least 2 FOI requests to get Sandy Hook documents. One they got and the other (as far as I know) is pending.
Back to top Go down
Clogerhead

Clogerhead

Contribution Points : 49918

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2019 12:14 pm

InsaneIntruder wrote:
Clogerhead wrote:

I considered asking for the CCTV footage of Stair and the possible audio recording of the shooting (since I'm sure someone here mentioned that he said he was going to have his phone recording the shooting in his pocket).

That's true. In his video titled "The Drive (02)" he says "I'll do my damnedest to record all of it in my pocket on this iPhone so people can hear it for the future, which I know for a fact they'll never release it like the cops they'll never release that."
I wonder what more information they got from his phone. I'd love to see his internet history and stuff like that.

"little teen pirn" -Nikolas Cruz
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2019 6:59 pm

I really wish I could do a FOIA request for the V-tech shooting but unfortunately VA state law allows the police to reject them without giving any reason if it's not someone who is next of kin for the victims or perpetrator.
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 pm

I'll research the law a bit more and might send one for the NIU shooting.
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2019 7:39 pm

SavageGlocker wrote:

Nice, if you do get anything would you be cool with/allowed to post it here ? That'd be so great if you did since that shooting has not much info released about it other than the basic stuff.
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2019 7:41 pm

Thinking of maybe submitting a request for the Luby's Shooting, Sutherland Springs Shooting, V-tech (even though they'll probably reject it), Red Lake (although idk how FOIA requests work for tribal lands), and Pulse (specifically for the victim autopsy reports since they used to be available online but then got took down). If I got through with any of them and get any response I'll definitely let y'all know...
Back to top Go down
Unknown

Contribution Points : 61126

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 2:44 pm

I made a FOIA request to the Department of Justice many months ago.

They have not replied yet, and I don't think they ever will.
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 4:16 pm

Mh_12rm_66 wrote:
SavageGlocker wrote:

Nice, if you do get anything would you be cool with/allowed to post it here ? That'd be so great if you did since that shooting has not much info released about it other than the basic stuff.
Yeah, I'll post whatever I get out of it here if I can. Not really sure what I should request to see other than CCTV footage and maybe photos of Steven's weapons, which I'd assume the Dekalb Police Department have.
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 9:59 pm

SavageGlocker wrote:
Mh_12rm_66 wrote:
SavageGlocker wrote:

Yeah, I'll post whatever I get out of it here if I can. Not really sure what I should request to see other than CCTV footage and maybe photos of Steven's weapons, which I'd assume the Dekalb Police Department have.

Maybe witness statements and the CSI report/CSI photos as well ?
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 11:43 pm

Mh_12rm_66 wrote:
SavageGlocker wrote:
Mh_12rm_66 wrote:
SavageGlocker wrote:

Maybe witness statements and the CSI report/CSI photos as well ?
Alright, I've sent the request. Hopefully it gets granted, and the records aren't too pricey.
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Damn, the Dekalb Police Department doesn't have the records, the NIU Police Department does. Sending them the request now.
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2019 7:48 pm

Submitted a request to VSP regarding records pertaining to the Virginia Tech shooting, in the process of submitting requests for other events
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2019 8:26 pm

Mh_12rm_66 wrote:
Submitted a request to VSP regarding records pertaining to the Virginia Tech shooting, in the process of submitting requests for other events

Submitted requests for Pulse, Luby's, and Sutherland Springs as well. Wanted to submit one for Red Lake but couldn't find who to email the request too (for Red Lake or Minnesota State Police).
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 1:51 pm

Got a reply from the Orlando Medical Examiners office, would post a screen cap here but the photo uploading function is changed/not working right now it appears. Is anyone else having this issue ?
Back to top Go down
Unknown

Contribution Points : 61126

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Mh_12rm_66 wrote:
Got a reply from the Orlando Medical Examiners office, would post a screen cap here but the photo uploading function is changed/not working right now it appears. Is anyone else having this issue ?

What did they say?

Hmm, strange. It doesn't work for me neither.

Maybe you can upload it on an image hosting site and give us a direct link instead?

Like this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 4:21 pm

Devil wrote:
Mh_12rm_66 wrote:

What did they say?

Hmm, strange. It doesn't work for me neither.

Maybe you can upload it on an image hosting site and give us a direct link instead?

Like this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They said they'd give me the reports but it may take a while since I request a bunch and the medical examiners office is pretty busy generally. Instead of posting a screencap I'll just go ahead and post the text of the response which is as follows:

Good morning,

We have received your request and it has been forwarded to our Records Department. Once the request is processed, the report(s) will be emailed to you.

Because you are requesting all of the victims reports, this will take time to process as we get multiple requests on a daily basis ranging from family members, media and attorneys just to name a few. All requests are acknowledged and then processed depending on date of request and if the reports are completed and able to be released. Once we have established that the report is ready, then they are sent to the requestor via chosen media (i.e.…email, mail).

Please understand that we try our best to fulfil all request as best we can and as quickly as possible, but please take in to consideration the volume and the fact that there are others who are and have been waiting as well.

Respectfully,

Forensic Records Coordinator

District Nine Medical Examiner’s Office

I then replied, asking to receive them via email and they replied back confirming that yes they would send them to me over email
Back to top Go down
alphawhiskey86

alphawhiskey86

Contribution Points : 49751
Forum Reputation : 55

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 4:45 pm

PrettyCoolGuy wrote:

The best thing would be a picture of Cho dead. We would finally know if his face was "unrecognizable" from the suicide shot, as some people pointed out.
Was just looking into making a few requests. Many places will not release pics of dead bodies. It’s an exemption to the FOIA laws

W̵̧̢̗̱̻̘̥̜̙͑̃͜e̴̥̬̓̇͒͑͂͠’̶̨̨̬̱̞͎̦͖̌̆̅̅̐̈́͜ȑ̸͍̋̔̍̔̄͂̊͘͜e̴̢̧͔͕̰͚̺͑͌̎͛̓ ̵̲̒̄̀͘ȃ̸̩̰̪̃ḷ̸̡͔̳͖̪̆͗̄̈́̾̇̓̍̒l̸̲͓͛̀̒̊͋͊̊͜͝ ̷̹̭͇̝̓̆̆̌̌̕l̷̠̊̏͆i̴̫̊͛͋̑͐̒͘͝͝v̴̠̜́̈́́̈͂͐̿̕͝͝i̵͚͛̿n̸̲̻̦̂͂̓̍g̸͓͕̱͙̼̯͌́̍̚͘ͅ ̶̡̞̙̮̜͋͑̑ì̷͈̄͗͒͐̈̽̆̚n̷̞̯̐̂̃̿ ̶̨͍̖̙̱̱̩̈́̃̋̎̅͌ͅë̸̮̥͔̭́̊a̸̰̬̩̣̗͒̌̌̾̌́̊c̵̺̜̙͍͗̒̄̉̓͐͐͌̆h̴͖͙̣͚̺͖̙̄̅̑̕͜ ̵̧͕͉̑̄̅̏̆̔̐̀ò̷̗̇̔͊͋̍̚͜t̷̨̡͍̳̲́̈́͋̅͆ͅh̷̢̳̭̟̖̀́̽̑̑͆͝͝ẹ̴͒̾r̴͕̬̙̰̩͕̖̋͛̇́͋̌͋ͅ’̶̫̗̱̞͎̩̆͛͑̀͂͛͌s̴͇̱̘̑̎̑́̈́̑̌̈́̚ ̵̥̮̾̋̅̏̋̒̌͛p̵̝̖̦̹̱̮̮̦̥̜̍a̵̯̞͉̺̭͔̥͆̐ͅr̴̡̢̲͎͈̖̘̿̇̏͛͋͌͌͗̚͝à̷͕͚͉̲͓̦̮͎̥̍̽̈́͑ǹ̴͇̝͇͑̋̉͒͐͆̄͘ơ̵̼͇͂͗̊̐̕͠i̸̧̝̣̠͋̎̂̓͋͛̅͛͛͝a̶͎͌̽̏̐͊͊̈̚
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 4:48 pm

alphawhiskey86 wrote:
PrettyCoolGuy wrote:

The best thing would be a picture of Cho dead. We would finally know if his face was "unrecognizable" from the suicide shot, as some people pointed out.
Was just looking into making a few requests. Many places will not release pics of dead bodies. It’s an exemption to the FOIA laws

There is a picture of Cho's body on the morgue table and his face is definately recognizable, even though the photo was taken from like 7-12 feet away. Based on the pic it looks like he likely either shot himself in the temple.
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 5:47 pm

emanresu wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Could you request one for the westroads mall shooting please?

Yeah I gotchu
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 5:48 pm

Unfortunately VSP denied my request in regards to the V-tech records. This was their response:

In response to your Freedom of Information Act Request dated April 6, 2019 concerning the above incident:

The materials you are seeking, “records pertaining to the Virginia Tech shooting incident that occurred on Monday April 16th, 2007 in Blacksburg, Virginia. Specifically, the state police report, crime scene investigation report, crime scene photographs, autopsy reports, evidence logs, witness statements, and 911 call transcripts, and VSP officer statements (any and/or all of these documents/items are being requested)”, constitute “documents and information, including complaints, court orders, memoranda, notes, diagrams, maps, photographs, correspondence, reports, witness statements, and evidence relating to a criminal investigation or prosecution” and would be contained in the criminal investigative files of the Virginia Department of State Police. Criminal investigative files, and their contents, are excluded from the provisions of FOIA pursuant to § 2.2-3706(B)(1) of the Act, “but may be disclosed by the custodian in his discretion.” That section makes no differentiation between open or closed investigations.

The Department has considered your request and, pursuant to § 2.2-3706(B)(1), elected to exercise its statutory discretion under § 2.2-3706 not to release the approximately hundreds of pages of documents and information, including, but not limited to, complaints, court orders, memoranda, notes, diagrams, maps, photographs, correspondence, reports, witness statements, and evidence in whole or in part.

Pursuant to 2.2 -3706 the following criminal incident information is provided:

(1) A general description of the criminal activity reported: Homicide

(2) The date the alleged crime was committed: April 16, 2007

(3) The general location where the alleged crime was committed:

Blacksburg, Virginia

(4) The identity of the investigating officer or other point of contact:

Special Agent C. F. Eaton

(5) A general description of any injuries suffered or property damaged or stolen:

a. Injuries: Gunshot wounds

b. Property damaged or stolen: None

We regret we were unable to provide you with the information you requested. If I may be of further assistance, please contact this office at 540-375-9547.

Sincerely,

Captain J. Greg Blankenship

Division Commander

Bureau of Criminal Investigation

Salem Field Office

Thank you,

Angela S. Kepus, FOIA Specialist

on behalf of 1st Sgt David Ostwinkle

First Sergeant David L. Ostwinkle
Virginia Department of State Police
Office of Legal Affairs
Bureau of Administrative and Support Services
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 5:49 pm

I did get receive the autopsy reports from the Orlando Medical Examiner in regards to the Pulse Nightclub victims and will post them at some point today (still figuring out the logistics since its 49 pdf files).
Back to top Go down
Russianman

Russianman

Contribution Points : 52171
Forum Reputation : 157

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 am

Reports which can send for usual people...So cool!

In Russia don't exist reports for civils.
Back to top Go down
School Massacre Archives

School Massacre Archives

Contribution Points : 65644
Forum Reputation : 248

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 pm

I'm thinking about sending a FOIA request to the San Bernardino police, see if I can get video or audio of the 2015 San Bernardino shooting. I know that one of the officers recorded the audio of the shootout.

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 6:55 pm

PrettyCoolGuy wrote:
Mh_12rm_66 wrote:
Unfortunately VSP denied my request in regards to the V-tech records. This was their response:

In response to your Freedom of Information Act Request dated April 6, 2019 concerning the above incident:

The materials you are seeking, “records pertaining to the Virginia Tech shooting incident that occurred on Monday April 16th, 2007 in Blacksburg, Virginia. Specifically, the state police report, crime scene investigation report, crime scene photographs, autopsy reports, evidence logs, witness statements, and 911 call transcripts, and VSP officer statements (any and/or all of these documents/items are being requested)”,  constitute “documents and information, including complaints, court orders, memoranda, notes, diagrams, maps, photographs, correspondence, reports, witness statements, and evidence relating to a criminal investigation or prosecution” and would be contained in the criminal investigative files of the Virginia Department of State Police.  Criminal investigative files, and their contents, are excluded from the provisions of FOIA pursuant to § 2.2-3706(B)(1) of the Act, “but may be disclosed by the custodian in his discretion.”  That section makes no differentiation between open or closed investigations.

The Department has considered your request and, pursuant to § 2.2-3706(B)(1), elected to exercise its statutory discretion under § 2.2-3706 not to release the approximately hundreds of pages of documents and information, including, but not limited to, complaints, court orders, memoranda, notes, diagrams, maps, photographs, correspondence, reports, witness statements, and evidence in whole or in part.

Pursuant to 2.2 -3706 the following criminal incident information is provided:

(1)  A general description of the criminal activity reported: Homicide

(2)  The date the alleged crime was committed: April 16, 2007

(3)  The general location where the alleged crime was committed:

Blacksburg, Virginia

(4)  The identity of the investigating officer or other point of contact:

Special Agent C. F.  Eaton

(5)  A general description of any injuries suffered or property damaged or stolen:

a.    Injuries: Gunshot wounds

b.    Property damaged or stolen: None

We regret we were unable to provide you with the information you requested.  If I may be of further assistance, please contact this office at 540-375-9547.

Sincerely,

Captain J. Greg Blankenship

Division Commander

Bureau of Criminal Investigation

Salem Field Office

Thank you,

Angela S. Kepus, FOIA Specialist

on behalf of 1st Sgt David Ostwinkle

First Sergeant David L. Ostwinkle
Virginia Department of State Police
Office of Legal Affairs
Bureau of Administrative and Support Services
What if you send a mail to the Virginia Department of State Police?

Yeah that is who I sent this request to iirc. Unfortunately this seems to be a general state law so I don't think I can do much on the state or county level although I may try submitting a FBI FOIA request if possible.
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 7:19 pm

My request for the documents regarding the Sutherland Springs shooting were unfortunately denied, they did send me Patrick Kelley's autopsy report though although this is something that's been publicly out for a while now. I think part of the reason has to do with how recent the case is though. Anyways here is the response they sent me:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

*If anyone wants the Kelley autopsy report I can send it to/link it if you haven't read it already
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Also, I reviewed the request status for my request regarding the Luby's Shooting and it says it is currently under review by a attorney/paralegal so hopefully I'll here back from them soon
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 12:09 am

The NIU PD sure are taking their sweet time to respond to my request, hopefully that means they're digging up the records.
Back to top Go down
thedarkmessiah

Contribution Points : 48245
Forum Reputation : 60

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 2:38 am

Want to see something from Las Vegas? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
thedarkmessiah

Contribution Points : 48245

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 2:48 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Where did all this come from? Also matches with my last post about the SPEER LUGER+P 9mm ammo. Do you belive it now? Shooter started on S. Las Vegas Boulevard then dropped a magazine then ran behind the Las Vegas village and the back of the Route 91 stage then headed down Giles and E. Alibaba Lane where the 9mm handgun was found and the magazine with 7x62 bullets was found. Still not enough proof?
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 6:16 pm

thedarkmessiah wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Where did all this come from? Also matches with my last post about the SPEER LUGER+P 9mm ammo. Do you belive it now? Shooter started on S. Las Vegas Boulevard then dropped a magazine then ran behind the Las Vegas village and the back of the Route 91 stage then headed down Giles and E. Alibaba Lane where the 9mm handgun was found and the magazine with 7x62 bullets was found. Still not enough proof?

What ?
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 8:49 pm

I submitted a request to the Nebraska State Police requesting documents pertaining to the Westroads Mall Shooting
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 11:40 pm

Mh_12rm_66 wrote:
thedarkmessiah wrote:

What ?

Don't pay the drug addict any mind.

sympathyforEandD

sympathyforEandD

Contribution Points : 70444
Forum Reputation : 486

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 8:06 am

Mh_12rm_66, thanks for submitting those V-Tech requests. Shame they turned you down. So all that juicy information including the crime scene photos and photos of Cho's body still exists, but remains just out of reach.

If they had granted your request, what would you have looked at first?

Has anyone tried a FoI request for the Columbine crime scene photos? O_O It might be worth claiming you're a researcher writing a book or something.

And what's with all these FoI requests being denied? They're just photos and information. There's like a million Hollywood movies that make killing look "cool" but some crime scene photos would clearly make us all turn into Cho copycats. Rolling Eyes And if it's a "privacy" thing, the victims' bodies have already been autopsied, where they strip you naked and cut your stomach open. God forbid their privacy is invaded.
Back to top Go down
James411

Contribution Points : 84198
Forum Reputation : 89

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 10:58 am

Can anyone do a request for elliot rodger journals?
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 7:54 pm

sympathyforEandD wrote:
Mh_12rm_66, thanks for submitting those V-Tech requests. Shame they turned you down. So all that juicy information including the crime scene photos and photos of Cho's body still exists, but remains just out of reach.

If they had granted your request, what would you have looked at first?

Has anyone tried a FoI request for the Columbine crime scene photos? O_O It might be worth claiming you're a researcher writing a book or something.

And what's with all these FoI requests being denied? They're just photos and information. There's like a million Hollywood movies that make killing look "cool" but some crime scene photos would clearly make us all turn into Cho copycats. Rolling Eyes And if it's a "privacy" thing, the victims' bodies have already been autopsied, where they strip you naked and cut your stomach open. God forbid their privacy is invaded.

No problem, and yeah I'm blown they turned it down although unfortunately VA is one of the few states where the police have a strong discretion abilities when it comes releasing info under FOIA request. For the Sutherland Springs one apparently the case is still too active/recent/under investigation so that's why it got rejected. If they granted my request for the VTech shooting I'd probably first look at the crime scene photos of Norris Hall and also the autopsy reports for Cho and the victims (ik autopsy reports bore/don't appeal to a lot of people but I find them really interesting given that I study forensics).

I might try to do an FOIA request on Jefferson County or Colorado state police for Columbine photos however I feel like it'll probably be rejected since I think that if they did accept them someone would've done it already and posted the results online. Fortunately, the FOIA states that you do not have to give a reason for your request and that agencies cannot ask either so I don't have to make up any reasons for why I want them. And yeah I do think it's dumb that they are so sensitive about this type of information given that it's all supposed to be "public" record, especially for incidents that happened more than a decade ago. I do agree with you as well in regards to the "copycat" thing being unrelated. Despite the censoring/holding of information that hasn't seemed to stop copycats from happening. But then you see countries like Russia, Brazil, etc. release all the graphic info asap yet you don't see anyone copy catting attacks that originated from there...
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 7:59 pm

I submitted a request last night for documents regarding the 2017 Plano, Texas mass shooting. Although it's not a super well known shooting or one that's mentioned here often I requested it since it's a case that I personally have studied a lot. I also submitted a request to the Arapaho county coroner for the autopsy reports for the victims of the Aurora Theater Shooting although idk if anyone here would have much interest in them. I'm thinking of also submitting a request for crime scene photos or more documents related to the Isla Vista shooting (Elliot Rodgers) and for Columbine (although I'm certain this will be rejected most likely). Also may do one for the Arapahoe High School shooting and the Marysville Pilchuck High School shooting at some point.
Back to top Go down
Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

Contribution Points : 63333
Forum Reputation : 446

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Requesting the CCTV for the Aztec High School shooting would be pretty cool.

School Massacre Archives

Contribution Points : 65644
Forum Reputation : 248

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 3:24 pm

AmericaMan wrote:

Pretty sure InsaneIntruder is already in the process of getting it.

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 3:36 pm

The NIU PD responded to my request, but unfortunately just sent me the link to the official 2/14 report which represents all that can be released under FOIA.
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 pm

SavageGlocker wrote:
The NIU PD responded to my request, but unfortunately just sent me the link to the official 2/14 report which represents all that can be released under FOIA.

Damn, RIP, thank you for trying though
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 9:49 pm

I received a reply back from Nebraska State Police regarding my request for the files related to the Westroads Mall shooting (Robert Hawkins). They told me they didn't have the files and that I should send the request to Omaha Police or Douglas County Police, which I will do tomorrow or some time soon. Also got a reply back from the Arapaho County Coroner regarding my request for the Aurora Theater Shooting autopsy reports. Although they accepted my request they told me each report costs $15 so I probably won't bother since I'm already inundated with other autopsy reports that I have yet to read.
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 pm

School Massacre Archives wrote:
AmericaMan wrote:

I don't really know how to pay, since they have dollars and that.
You could if you wanted.
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 11:21 pm

InsaneIntruder wrote:
AmericaMan wrote:

You could if you wanted.

How much were they charging and what was it specifically for, just wondering...
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 am

Mh_12rm_66 wrote:
InsaneIntruder wrote:
AmericaMan wrote:

You could if you wanted.

How much were they charging and what was it specifically for, just wondering...
$40, and "CCTV Footage of William Atchison entering and inside Aztec High School, and footage of the shooting." as I put it in my FOIA request.
Back to top Go down

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 4:56 am

Mh_12rm_66 wrote:
I received a reply back from Nebraska State Police regarding my request for the files related to the Westroads Mall shooting (Robert Hawkins). They told me they didn't have the files and that I should send the request to Omaha Police or Douglas County Police, which I will do tomorrow or some time soon. Also got a reply back from the Arapaho County Coroner regarding my request for the Aurora Theater Shooting autopsy reports. Although they accepted my request they told me each report costs $15 so I probably won't bother since I'm already inundated with other autopsy reports that I have yet to read.

thank you very much
Back to top Go down
Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

Contribution Points : 63333
Forum Reputation : 446

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Someone should make an FOIA request for Jared Lee Loughner’s g-string selfies.

Spanky

Contribution Points : 40444

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Mh_12rm_66 wrote:

I know this is a months old post, but @Mh, during the trial which is freely available on the internet, they talked about almost all (if not all) of the victims that were shot throughout the 60+ day trial. That should give good indications though, again haven't gone through all of it so don't know if all of it has been reported. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FOIA requests  Empty
PostSubject: Re: FOIA requests    FOIA requests  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FOIA requests
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next