Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Columbine Nightline Episodes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kblu

kblu

Contribution Points : 53434
Forum Reputation : 425

Columbine Nightline Episodes Empty
PostSubject: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 5:47 am

I found five old Nightline episodes about Columbine on a TV news archive website. There is one each day from April 20-23, and one on April 17, 2000. They each cost between $100-$200. Has anyone seen these before and is there anything good on them? Shall we pool our money together? There’s also a bunch of other news clips on the site, each around $27.
Back to top Go down
Ericklebold99

Contribution Points : 65420
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 7:43 pm

What website is this
Back to top Go down
kblu

kblu

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 9:57 pm

Ericklebold99 wrote:
What website is this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

Contribution Points : 82159
Forum Reputation : 475

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 11:54 pm

Wow, how interesting.

Early this morning I called out that sphishakwax person for lying about the source of the video clips they desperately wanted credit for finding because they aren't hard to find... and I told them if they don't come clean about the source of the videos I would post the source because they're not "lost" at all and everyone deserves to have access to them... and that post just got moved (to a private forum with mod access only, I'm presuming, since the error message is "Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum") and then this post immediately pops up with another newish user copping to the source of the videos, several days after naming the episodes much of the content came from.

How convenient. Wow. Like magic.

I think kblu and sphishakwax are the same person.

Like I said you cannot fool me, what a load. I'm glad you came clean, but it's sad that you had to use an alter ego to do it.

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120478
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2019 1:15 am

EthanEmerson wrote:
Wow, how interesting.

Early this morning I called out that sphishakwax person for lying about the source of the video clips they desperately wanted credit for finding because they aren't hard to find... and I told them if they don't come clean about the source of the videos I would post the source because they're not "lost" at all and everyone deserves to have access to them... and that post just got moved (to a private forum with mod access only, I'm presuming, since the error message is "Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum") and then this post immediately pops up with another newish user copping to the source of the videos, several days after naming the episodes much of the content came from.

Hm. Well, if what you say is true, and your post got removed, then it stands to reason this post could be removed too. I have a solution to the problem though.

Voila! Now we have an archive of this entire thread with a few clicks of a button, and it can't be taken down or removed. If you ever need to archive a webpage for any reason, this handy dandy archival tool will do it for you. And now I take my leave.

EthanEmerson
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2019 1:36 am

Ha brilliant!

At first, I thought the post was removed by the original poster but then I realized we can't delete our own posts. I looked up the error message for Forumotion and found it's the message you get when a moderator moves a post to a private forum.

The whole thing is bizarre to me, which doesn't mean much considering I don't understand a good majority of what people do lol

I have a giant Word Doc full of archival links for TV news broadcasts I've been compiling and eventually want to link in a directory to make it easy for people to see what's available online and also where to get other news broadcasts (like from the link posted above here) - there are multiple sources, but the one in this thread is the best for the longer Columbine specials that aired the home videos.

I did post in the other thread that I think I have the interview with Nate Dykeman and his father that everyone was looking for. I don't know if that's still "missing" but I can link the one I found if it hasn't already been linked somewhere.

Back to top Go down
kblu

kblu

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2019 2:19 am

EthanEmerson wrote:
Wow, how interesting.

I think kblu and sphishakwax are the same person.

Like I said you cannot fool me, what a load. I'm glad you came clean, but it's sad that you had to use an alter ego to do it.

No, we’re not the same person. I was on that thread too and I also called them out on refusing to share the videos. They made me want to try and look for the videos because I figured if they could find them online, then I probably could too. It only took me an hour to find that site, the only issue was I had to pay to see the videos. That’s why I posted it here because I figured that site could contain the unseen videos that person was talking about and maybe even more we’ve never seen before, but I obviously can’t just throw aside hundreds of dollars to see them. If they were free, I would have downloaded them and shared them here. But they aren’t, so I asked if anyone would be interested in pooling money together to get them. I don’t even know for sure if the videos are on that site. If I had more money I definitely would buy them to check, but I don’t. Do you know if they’re on there or not or did you just say that because you thought I was the other person posting the source?
Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2019 2:33 am

Oh you did! I missed that. My apologies!!

I posted a few things in the other thread to see if I could get them to fess up and I was in the process of searching archived transcripts for their claimed quotes (but now the thread is gone so I can't access that). There are some sites that provide transcripts and shot lists even if there is no video. I didn't get it in time and didn't save their post.

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure if the clips the Sphishakwax person mentioned are in those Nightline specials - I know the "donut video" was aired and the screen shot was taken with the network's brand on it (can't remember which network at the moment) and there were more clips on shows like 60 Minutes and 20/20. One of the scenes they mentioned sounded familiar but it's been too long for me to recall.

In my search I found all kinds of things that aren't published widely in compilations like a clip of a reporter filming Brooks viewing Eric's website one or two days after the shooting live while it was still online.

I haven't personally verified the existence of the specific scenes the Sphishakwax person claims exist.

It is expensive to buy the videos, for sure. Maybe if you documented the titles and dates of the specials you could find a scene list that might tell you if the camera pans to the home videos? I'll post a new thread with links to archive sites that might help narrow it down and fill in the gaps for what videos to get. I don't have a full list of links (yet) but I'll post what I've got!
Back to top Go down
kblu

kblu

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2019 3:14 am

EthanEmerson wrote:
Oh you did! I missed that. My apologies!!

I posted a few things in the other thread to see if I could get them to fess up and I was in the process of searching archived transcripts for their claimed quotes (but now the thread is gone so I can't access that). There are some sites that provide transcripts and shot lists even if there is no video. I didn't get it in time and didn't save their post.

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure if the clips the Sphishakwax person mentioned are in those Nightline specials - I know the "donut video" was aired and the screen shot was taken with the network's brand on it (can't remember which network at the moment) and there were more clips on shows like 60 Minutes and 20/20. One of the scenes they mentioned sounded familiar but it's been too long for me to recall.

In my search I found all kinds of things that aren't published widely in compilations like a clip of a reporter filming Brooks viewing Eric's website one or two days after the shooting live while it was still online.

I haven't personally verified the existence of the specific scenes the Sphishakwax person claims exist.

It is expensive to buy the videos, for sure. Maybe if you documented the titles and dates of the specials you could find a scene list that might tell you if the camera pans to the home videos? I'll post a new thread with links to archive sites that might help narrow it down and fill in the gaps for what videos to get. I don't have a full list of links (yet) but I'll post what I've got!

No problem! If I was you I might have assumed the same thing.

I haven’t viewed that thread in a few days so I missed the quotes. Do you remember any? What else did they say about the videos?

I didn’t see that one of Brooks, but I did find lots of other videos I’ve never seen before. Nothing new of Eric or Dylan, though. I posted the ones I thought were the most interesting on this channel if anyone is interested: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That is a good idea. Can you send me the archive links? I also think maybe we could try to find somebody who goes to Vanderbilt University or another University that has access to the archives and see if they would let us use their account or if they would download and send us the videos?

I’m sure those videos have to be on at least one more site, though. If we look hard enough I bet we could find them.
Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2019 3:26 am

Cool, nice videos, I just checked it out!

I just posted a new thread with all the links I could put together for now, I did notice several sources archived the same news programs so you're probably right about being able to find it somewhere else, it's just a matter of getting access to the right place.

Here's the link:

Some haven't been digitized yet, but I wonder if calling them might help, maybe all they need is a reason to do it. Or, if they would do it for $ we might be able to get those news clips digitized. It's in the back of my mind to call and find out what we would need to do to get them to digitize those Columbine-specific news clips from the evening news.

Last edited by EthanEmerson on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2019 3:29 am

I don't remember the specifics of what they claimed they had seen in the video clips, unfortunately. I remember reading most of it thinking it sounded like something they made up. But since one scene was familiar I thought maybe they had seen a news archive but didn't want to post it because they wanted us to think they had some inside source or something.
Back to top Go down
kblu

kblu

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2019 4:51 am

EthanEmerson wrote:
Cool, nice videos, I just checked it out!

I just posted a new thread with all the links I could put together for now, I did notice several sources archived the same news programs so you're probably right about being able to find it somewhere else, it's just a matter of getting access to the right place.

Here's the link:

Some haven't been digitized yet, but I wonder if calling them might help, maybe all they need is a reason to do it. Or, if they would do it for $ we might be able to get those news clips digitized. It's in the back of my mind to call and find out what we would need to do to get them to digitize those Columbine-specific news clips from the evening news.

I think I found the episode the unseen footage might have came from.

05/15/2000 Nightline: Columbine: A Look Into Lives of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold Videotape, VHS, dub (ID#: koppel_nl00051501)

I found it on this site: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The website says, “The majority of our archival and manuscript collections are housed offsite and require advanced notice for retrieval. Researchers are encouraged to contact us in advance concerning the collection material they wish to access for their research. Digitized media may be accessed at a viewing station in the SCRC reading room. The programs may be used by students, faculty and researchers in the library and in the classroom for instructional purposes only.”

Maybe if we call/email them they’d be willing to send a copy for a fee?
Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2019 1:30 pm

It sounds like the university only has permission to allow people to view the tapes. I say that because the policy you posted indicates they only allow viewing and no copying. They don't own the copyright, so they likely have a license from the media outlets that allows them to let people view the material on-site only. To get a copy you'd have to get permission from the copyright holder, which would be Nightline.

It might be easier to call Nightline and ask to buy a copy of the program? Most of those old shows used to sell copies to the public. Some of them still do! I can't remember if I posted info about getting videos from Nightline specifically in the thread with all the resources, but I did post information on getting copies of tapes and transcripts for a couple of shows, just can't recall which ones are in that list at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Columbine Nightline Episodes   Columbine Nightline Episodes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Columbine Nightline Episodes
Page 1 of 1